Broadband sent over wet string

porina

Engineers at a small British internet service provider have successfully made a broadband connection work over 2m (6ft 7in) of wet string.

The connection reached speeds of 3.5Mbps (megabits per second), according to the Andrews and Arnold engineer who conducted the experiment.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-42338067

Some may joke when they have a bad connection it may as well be sent over wet string... but now someone's actually gone and tried it. They're not aiming to use this in a commercial environment, as another well known UK provider already has a monopoly on it.

In case it isn't obvious, this is a bit of fun by them and isn't going to change the internet. It is nice to see things done for a bit of fun occasionally. I wonder if they'll upgrade to two yogurt cartons and a bit of string for voice services?

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

this is also known as west australian internet

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

As long as whatever the signal is sent through can carry a current it can be done. Still interesting though

I can see this being used for real in the UK yes :D 

Think about it, rope is cheap. You only need to keep it wet (UK... so no problem there)

Only issue would be the sun evaporating the moisture... but again UK! the 1-2 days there is sun you'll just need to water it ;) 

1 minute ago, Dujith said:

Think about it, rope is cheap. You only need to keep it wet (UK... so no problem there)

Only issue would be the sun evaporating the moisture... but again UK! the 1-2 days there is sun you'll just need to water it ;) 

I can only imagine that. “Honey, why isn’t the internet working? Did you water the connection?” 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Just now, Dujith said:

During the early internet years of dial-up, I found connection speed and reliability did vary with the weather! It is long enough ago I can't remember exactly how it varied though. It was a very old house (1900's) and the line wasn't very good.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

21 minutes ago, porina said:

During the early internet years of dial-up, I found connection speed and reliability did vary with the weather! It is long enough ago I can't remember exactly how it varied though. It was a very old house (1900's) and the line wasn't very good.

Before like early 2000 there were still a lot of copper pairs that were untwisted meaning they had little shielding from interference. Wind causing the lines to move just a few inches closer to the power lines could cause a drop or reduced speeds, along with rainy days and dark cloud turning on street lines which cause a HUGE amount of interference. 

I guess this won't work when the sun is shining so bright. Someone from UK can correct me on this but isn't it's mostly overcast weather in UK so something like this might work for them as water will evaporate slower than in tropical countries where the sun is shining brightly all the time.

Now, can we have a landline connection using wet strings as well? I can think of something like a small hollow pipe containing strings and is constantly pumped with water. This is a good science project for school but not for a nationwide broadband project.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Brits use imperial system. Why is quote prioritizing metric units ? What the hell ?!

Imagine broadband connections using the rivers lol

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

17 minutes ago, Thony said:

Brits use imperial system. Why is quote prioritizing metric units ? What the hell ?!

Imagine broadband connections using the rivers lol

I use both for length, sometimes both at the same time, I measure long distances in miles and shorter in metres (I don't understand yards), so something can be 1 mile 400metres away. Everything else is metric to me.

Where I used to live the BT lines flooded every time it rained heavy and the speeds would drop to around 3mbps. That's what you get for living up north in the middle of nowhere

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

32 minutes ago, Thony said:

It's been metric here for... a very long time now. There are few exceptions, most notably driving distances and speeds (miles, mph). You can also still order a pint with a quarter pounder, but I think that's about it in common usage. 

7 minutes ago, porina said:

It's been metric here for... a very long time now. There are few exceptions, most notably driving distances and speeds (miles, mph). You can also still order a pint with a quarter pounder, but I think that's about it in common usage. 

Its not metric until everything is in metric and people use metric and understand it. None of my colleagues around 20 years of age understand kilograms and meters. So height and weight is also still stuck in imperial age. 

Ordering beer is still stuck in pint measurements.

And im sure there are more examples of everyday use. So if the basics are not in metric units then we cant say te country/nation is using the metric system. We can agree on “mixed”.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Funny

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

if only my upload speed could max out this conection at least :( 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

5 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Metric is 10000000% easier to not only understand but also to convert between metrics. I hate that we use the imperial system. 

It's funny as I work for a company that does a lot of design work and we use metric exclusively. There's no reason not to when it's internationally recognised. Sure for day to day use the odd imperial slips in; stones for weight, miles for distance, etc. But for professional work there's no excuse for not understanding metric.

4 hours ago, Thony said:

Its not metric until everything is in metric and people use metric and understand it. None of my colleagues around 20 years of age understand kilograms and meters. So height and weight is also still stuck in imperial age. 

The UK is metric in the sense that almost everything you do is legally required to be specified in metric, with some notable exceptions as mentioned already. There's a lot of historical baggage in some use cases like those, but really if you're 20 and can't understand kg and m, something is wrong with the education system. 

4 hours ago, Thony said:

Ordering beer is still stuck in pint measurements.

I think they let that one stick, as no one wants to go to a pub and say "I'll have 568ml of beer please, no, wait, I'm driving, better make it 284ml." But it is only really a historic use for some served drinks and possibly milk, not really for other drinks and liquids. Outside of alcohol, many places simply ask if you want a large or small glass, not specifying the exact capacity.

4 hours ago, Thony said:

And im sure there are more examples of everyday use. So if the basics are not in metric units then we cant say te country/nation is using the metric system. We can agree on “mixed”.

I'll go with mixed if you include everyday usage. There isn't anything stopping the use of dual units in that sense, but it is in decline, particularly as those most likely to use it die from old age.

I thought "wet string" was some sort of technical term, not a literal one :D 

On 12/13/2017 at 5:20 PM, porina said:

Food containers, such as jars and tins, although they are denoted in grams, they are often 454g which is a pound(pretty much).  

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240