How many of you ever felt guilty about not finishing a game? Or not playing it for enough hours?

mrchow19910319

Like we all play a lot of games and we all buy a lot of games. 

But there are only a few titles I really put a lot of hours in. 

More often than not, the game I bought got played for 7,8 hours, then I never touched them for a really long time. 

The time I spent on gaming was becoming lesser and lesser these recent years.. I can't devote myself to "FOCUS" on a game for 3-4 hours a day...

Does anyone sometimes feel guilty about this? 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

Switch: haven't played more than 4 hours of Odyssey, and 8 of Mario Kart. Racked like 60+ in StarDew tho..

Most games with actual story and a world to get immersed in...

The Witcher, the Fallout series, the Metro series, Bioshock 1 & 2, etc...

Being an adult means I get to spend 9 hours working, coming home, taking care of said home, and then maybe getting to sit down and play some games every other day.

So I have a really hard time actually getting into games, and I usually play shorter pick-up-and-play indies.

Shooting Stars, Rogue Legacy, The Binding of Isaac, Risk of Rain, and Downwell are pretty much the only games I ever play anymore.

Although I'm planning on getting into Terraria on my handful of days off for the holidays #salehype

TL;DR don't have enough time to get immersed in games, so I finish nothing :( 

10 minutes ago, Rileeey said:

Most games with actual story and a world to get immersed in...

The Witcher, the Fallout series, the Metro series, Bioshock 1 & 2, etc...

Being an adult means I get to spend 9 hours working, coming home, taking care of said home, and then maybe getting to sit down and play some games every other day.

So I have a really hard time actually getting into games, and I usually play shorter pick-up-and-play indies.

Shooting Stars, Rogue Legacy, The Binding of Isaac, Risk of Rain, and Downwell are pretty much the only games I ever play anymore.

Although I'm planning on getting into Terraria on my handful of days off for the holidays #salehype

TL;DR don't have enough time to get immersed in games, so I finish nothing :( 

I hear you on not having enough time due to work. You would think working from home could afford me more time, but it's no different. Alas, without a job the lights wouldn't stay on in order to get the bit of gameplay I can in. It honestly feels like I either have to choose to adult more and sleep when I am not clocked in or sacrifice such just to get some game time. 

The games I usually play when I can (and whatever strikes my fancy) are .hack//G.U Last Recode, Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Neverwinter, Skyforge, Dragon Age 1-3, Witcher 3, Ark, and some others. Though, the game that seems to make up the bulk of that is Neverwinter with Skyforge close behind. Luckily when it comes to those, I'm spoiled by my guildmates, lol.

for some reason i always stop playing when i reach almost ending

Crimson Gem Saga (final dungeon)

Final Fantasy IV (final dungeon)

Final Fantasy VIII (final dungeon)

Pokemon Emerald (pokemon league) and a 4th Gen(8th gym)

Stardew Valley (almost 2 years)

Harvest Moon (almost 2 years)

Cities Skylines (never reach more than 10k population...)

Monster Hunter 2nd G and 3rd G(never reach G rank)

currently playing I Am Setsuna.... i hope i actually finish this....

The only games I've ever really felt that way about is the x series and Elder scrolls online.

I just couldn't ever find the passion to sit down and learn how to really play the x games, and with ESO me and a couple irl pals ran a large affluent guild on pc for about two years and then just disappeared in the course of about a month a little while back. We never really gave a reason for leaving the game, we just sort of got tired of it and the guild we ran died. Such a shame too, we had a huge amount of guys we'd considered good friends we talked to about daily for two years, then just nothing as we moved on to a new game and the rest faded away. We were on the verge of bringing the guild into a new era sort of, with big plans set up for the new content from morrowind, and then just, it all ended.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

8 hours ago, Rileeey said:

the older you get, the harder you become to really let yourself immerse into one game. I now play a lot of starcraft 2. Not because I am into RTS games or I am really good at it. But only because I can play against AI and use the same strategy over and over again. It is lazy gaming. But I just don't want to "make the effort" to get good at one game... not worth the hassle. A lot of the games require you to constantly playing it to get good. Like league of legends and other online games.. Used to put a lot of times in it. Now thinking about "communicating" with stupid teammate, the flaming and such, then you need to play X amount of time to get used to (get good) at the mechanics and stuff.... nah... I'll watch some youtube, im good... 

7 hours ago, Lycoris said:

working from home doesn't mean no stress, no obligation. anyone with common sense will understand that. 

the games I put a lot of hours are: 

1. witcher 3 
  2. GTA V
  3. cities skyline (I am really surprised how long have I been playing this game)
  4. SC2

7 hours ago, RyomaSJibenG said:

yeah... don't think about it too much. the game I truly finished are GTA V and witcher 3. a lot of other games were more like playing 7,8 hours of it then lose interest. LOL. (rise of the tomb raider, division, etc)

6 hours ago, Atmos said:

yup. things like that happens. 

I feel guilty when I don't play enough hours for a game a friend gifted me. I recently got one and only played 0.9 hours so far...

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Alpha Microphone: Razer Seiren X

Ohh man, so I bought Megadimension Neptunia VII for like $70 and ive only gotten half way into the story lol. So much for the 40 hours I put into it lol

Primary Laptop (Gearsy MK4): Ryzen 9 5900HX, Radeon RX 6800M, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 24 GB DDR4 2400 Mhz, 512 GB SSD+1TB SSD, 15.6 in 300 Hz IPS display

2021 Asus ROG Strix G15 Advantage Edition

Secondary Laptop (Uni MK2): Ryzen 7 5800HS, Nvidia GTX 1650, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 16 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz, 512 GB SSD 

2021 Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 

Meme Machine (Uni MK1): Shintel Core i5 7200U, Nvidia GT 940MX, 24 GB DDR4 2133 Mhz, 256 GB SSD+500GB HDD, 15.6 in TN Display 

2016 Acer Aspire E5 575 

Retired Laptop (Gearsy MK2): Ryzen 5 2500U, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 12 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4, 256 GB NVME SSD, 15.6" 1080p IPS Touchscreen 

2017 HP Envy X360 15z (Ryzen)

PC (Gearsy): A6 3650, HD 6530D , 8 GB 1600 Mhz Kingston DDR3, Some Random Mobo Lol, EVGA 450W BT PSU, Stock Cooler, 128 GB Kingston SSD, 1 TB WD Blue 7200 RPM

HP P7 1234 (Yes It's Actually Called That)  RIP 

Also im happy to answer any Ryzen Mobile questions if anyone is interested! 

Witcher 3. Waited for years to buy the gold edition and then stopped after level ~22.

I bought steam games that I didn't even play at all just because of a sale. I now stopped playing games nearly entirely except lol (I sold my gtx 1070)

1 hour ago, silentprototipe said:

Ohh man, so I bought Megadimension Neptunia VII for like $70 and ive only gotten half way into the story lol. So much for the 40 hours I put into it lol

thats good. cos you are enjoying the game... I've had some games while I only played it for like a couple of hours then quit...

30 minutes ago, Teddy07 said:

Witcher 3. Waited for years to buy the gold edition and then stopped after level ~22.

I bought steam games that I didn't even play at all just because of a sale. I now stopped playing games nearly entirely except lol (I sold my gtx 1070)

oh.. that's a shame. It is a really good game, I'm on my 3rd run through,, however because game + mode does not work so I had to start from 0. 

No, no guilt here. I can't remember the last time I finished a game.

I have time to play games maybe once a week, and I usually find something else to do instead. The rare occasions I do pick up a game, I'm bored within an hour or two and go do something more productive. I spend 9-12 hours a day at my computer at work and have very little desire to sit in front of one for more hours once I get home. The 1-2hr sessions end up as more than enough for me.

Most of my games on Steam are in the <10 hour played range. Only being able to play games a couple times a month also keeps hardware costs down. Kid me would be in tears at how ambivalent Adult me is towards gaming, but Kid me didn't have a variety of more interesting hobbies or the funds to pursue them either.

8 hours ago, mrchow19910319 said:

working from home doesn't mean no stress, no obligation. anyone with common sense will understand that. 

the games I put a lot of hours are: 

1. witcher 3 
  2. GTA V
  3. cities skyline (I am really surprised how long have I been playing this game)
  4. SC2

hah, funny how i too play a lot of SC2 these days too

4 hours ago, silentprototipe said:

I think I'm roughly 40 hours in and the only thing keeping me from clearing my first New Game Plus is the cheap, dirty tactics that I myself used to clear the first run.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

More like guilt for wasting money on a game I expected to be better. If the game hase an awesome story I'll use my weekends to just play. GTA V was awesome and I've finished it pretty quickly. Earlier Assassin's Creed games were the same. The newer ones (haven't played Origins, just refuse to pay that much if I just have to wait for a few month) got pretty repetitive. Repetition is boring. Why would I invest time in something boring just to finish it? Diablo 3 is a perfect example as well. Good but very short story and the whole concept is to just replay it in order to level up. Boring. Other people might have different opinions on this but for me it's obvious: if I don't finish it the story lacks something in order for it to keep me interested.

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

1 hour ago, bowrilla said:

Repetition is boring

i get it. the story is really important. the core mechanic of one game is only that much. 

Not particularly. If I didn't finish the game then it means it likely it was too boring/not fun to keep my interest.

I've had a handful of games where I didn't finish. I generally finish my games out, even if I don't like it all that much in some cases. Two prime games I didn't finish because I personally just had little interest continuing are God of War Ascension and Assassin's Creed III. I probably barely made any progress into GOW:A, AC3 I got about halfway. Other cases where I didn't finish were just I got stuck and just dropped it and never went back or I got sidetracked by another game I got. That or just issues prevented me from doing so. (I got Mirror's Edge years ago but only got to a certain point early on. The game would crash everytime at the respective point on my laptop at the time. Picked it back up early this year [I think] and finished it. Good game. Might have to look into Catalyst later on.)

So it's not really a big deal to me if I happen to not complete any particular game. If I liked it then I'll go back and finish it at somepoint. That or if I'm just bored at somepoint and I'm going through what to play and happen to remember I need to finish whatever game I might finish it out, assuming I feel like playing that particular game.

Also I try to avoid investing a ton of hours (more than required to finish. Although, I like to 100% my games so that's my limit.) into a game. I don't particularly feel bad about investing 10 into one but 100 into another. Just a matter of how much content is packed in the game.

Sometimes I'll invest a few months into a F2P MMO (Warframe being my last one.) if I get hooked well enough when I don't really have anything else I really want to play though. So that's one case where I invest a notable amount of time in recent. Also maybe a singleplayer RPG if it has enough content to permit me to play/invest that much. Did this only once though, I had nothing of interest and picked the game up ($5 iirc) on sale and got hooked for like 3-4 months straight until I got other games to play. Best $5 I ever spent considering I netted like almost 3-400 hours, lol. Game kept me very well occupied for the money.

yes specifically the first portal game

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

I'm more disappointed in bad purchases more than not playing good games xD

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Egg-Roll/games/?tab=all&sort=playtime

Top 3 games 2/3 I have not played in over a year or whenever my SSD died forcing me to reinstall windows.

GTAV is mostly tabbed out hours. And currently trying this game out

A few games i would like to play again or play more of or even start but for me it's not the quality of the game but what i feel like playing. ANNO 1070 I can't be bothered with thanks to uplay...

My most played game is rainbow six with 1700 hours in it, the second most played is skyrim with 300, third is payday 2 with 250..

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

I'm lonely, PM me to be my friend!

Every game I have bought since star craft 1 I haven't finished. Oddly enough, I don't feel like I lack time.  Working 60hr weeks I still find time to do what I want; problem is I want everything. Spreading that time out between Wife, house, business, and several hobbies leaves me with incomplete games, projects, and chores.

You get 168 hours a week.

Sleep 8 hrs a day gives you 112 hrs of "do what you will" time.

Working 40 hrs weeks = 72 hrs to spread : for me I get 52 hrs/wk

52hrs to spread across

Wife time

House Maintenance

Car Maintenance

Pets

Exercise

Firearms

Two Jeep builds

Several Radio Control Cars

Several computers

TV/Movie time

Build Furniture

and family time

I spend 5-10 hours a week playing 20 different video games. Most never see more then 10% completion.

Nope, I don't feel bad in the slightest, have no feelings really. Just having fun  :)

I7-7700k@5.1ghz + 1080ti @ 2050mhz + 32gbs Ram + 2TB SSD = CSGO

i7-6700k@4.9ghz + 980ti @ 1501mhz + 16gbs Ram + 1 TB SSD = Backup

i7-3770k@4.8ghz + 680 4gb + 32gbs Ram + 500gb SSD = Retired/Office work

19 minutes ago, Ashiella said:

My most played game is rainbow six with 1700 hours in it, the second most played is skyrim with 300, third is payday 2 with 250..

that's a lot of hours///...

i remembered played a lot of payday 2 with some online friends....

7 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

that's a lot of hours///...

i remembered played a lot of payday 2 with some online friends....

Yeah, but i play semi professionally soooo.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

I'm lonely, PM me to be my friend!