Google Fiber now offers gigabit for $55 per month to one City

2 hours ago, Egg-Roll said:

I doubt google is using all their own infrastructure. But it would make sense to enter into 2 canadian provinces Ontario and BC Why? Close to the USA, highest population.

-snip-

Yes, however you're not factoring in other costs. Such as infrastructure (you don't need just cable, you need many other items), land use (Take Shaw for example. In BC, Telus owns the top of the power pole, Shaw has to lease space from Telus. Something similar might be necessary for conduits), work permits, regulatory work, etc etc. It's not as cut and dry as it seems.

Say they got an astonishing 20% conversion rate. That's 400,000 units & $60/month for a revenue of $24,000,000/month. Seems like tons, but it's really not. Goldman Sachs had a report where it would cost Google 1.25 billion to connect 830,000 homes.

Telus is investing the same amount in Edmonton. While the cost of the cable might not be expensive, when it comes to unit installation in apartments etc it's very time consuming. That's a huge man hour investment. The ad revenue is irrelevant since they're already making that.

There are way more options than the big three though. Sure, they're a reason there's not as many, but another reason is the huge investment it would take for smaller providers to start up. For example, Novus in Vancouver will gladly run fiber to you...if you live in an apartment building, and the entire building signs up. Otherwise it's not financially viable.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

4 hours ago, Damascus said:

Yup, I used to be ecstatic about google doing all the isp stuff but now I kind of hope our establishment isps in Canada can keep them away

I wasnt here for a while, do you mind explaining what is so evil about incredibly well priced uncapped broadband ? 

Maybe google has done something that I have missed so some filling in would be appretiated.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Fuck, I live just outside San Antonio and can't get this. My internet from Spectrum is more expensive than that for 40 Mbps and that's the discount price because I have it bundled with cable TV.

4 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Fuck, I live just outside San Antonio and can't get this. My internet from Spectrum is more expensive than that for 40 Mbps and that's the discount price because I have it bundled with cable TV.

I'm sorry hopefully now that Austin and San Antonio have Google Fiver cities outside will also get it.

Don;t areas outside San Antonio have gigabit speeds with Grande Communications?

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

6 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

see if you know someone who can put up a big pole and do this 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

6 minutes ago, DudeWazap said:

I'm sorry hopefully now that Austin and San Antonio have Google Fiver cities outside will also get it.

Don;t areas outside San Antonio have gigabit speeds with Grande Communications?

No Grande service out here. 

20 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Goldman Sachs had a report where it would cost Google 1.25 billion to connect 830,000 homes.

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-much-it-would-cost-google-to-build-a-cable-network-2012-12

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-cost-of-building-google-fiber-2013-4

https://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2012/12/10/good-grief-nationwide-google-fiber-would-be-incredibly-cheap-to-build/#71d9e6017740

Let's see 140 Billion for a country of 300 million+ (article above claims 140 million homes, lets say half that) a Return/Profit in 15 years, assuming bare minimum and interest rates stay the same...

https://abc.xyz/investor/index.html

Note: Google only has 9 Billion in cash since its last report this year not the 45 stated above

Payment Every Month  $1,107,111,077.44

Total of 180 Payments  $199,279,993,938.87

Total Interest  $59,279,993,938.87

The second article took the selling cost of the nexus, and not what it costs google.

Assuming they keep to their pricing of 70 for 1gbps and 75% of the clients take it up, lets go based on that. For a 15 year return less the initial $1000 setup cost incurring per client, however it seems they dont offer much beyond services now.

For it to repay in 15 years (ignore the BS spewed out by Forbes), for Fiber to repay it self and let the infrastructure maintenance costs mooch off the 4 billion during said time as they should be very low. It would require 16.9 Million users at 1gbps or 24.14% of 70 million homes, these numbers are plausible but are unlikely and remember google has a positive 4.5 billion every quarter in cash flow which means it could easily bail itself out.

A far more strategic approach would be attacking major cities and their local suburbs (anything over 75,000 with a $30,000 avg household income), as it would likely be more profitable. 

1 hour ago, dizmo said:

There are way more options than the big three though. Sure, they're a reason there's not as many, but another reason is the huge investment it would take for smaller providers to start up. For example, Novus in Vancouver will gladly run fiber to you...if you live in an apartment building, and the entire building signs up. Otherwise it's not financially viable.

Not here really, I'm with Teksavvy, they have their own servers but they still run threw the Bell and Rogers Networks, most if not all providers that service outside of the downtown core are like this as the costs are too big as you said.

Actually Bell recently upgraded a family member's apartment complex, they said they would do it for months w/o signups (it is a rogers dominated, minimal bell phone building), they decided to go with virgins internet package, it took 2 weeks to get a installer in, and that was on top the 2 months or more later than claimed installation date. Furniture couldn't be put back due to this (tv) making watching stuff annoying, and prevented us playing games with a younger family member during their visit.

Oh fiber doesn't need to be installed at your door, if your home has newer wiring it's likely good. Plus most providers only do FTTC which is Fiber to those stupid ugly boxes in random spots. Only reason why buildings get fiber to the door is because they likely have a relay inside for everyone, hence why Bell and your provider mentioned are not keen on putting it in. There is no safe way to get fiber to 90% of the homes where i live (and used to live) w/o digging up all the yards :P

Like i said Google is more than welcomed here, it would possibly be more profitable too due to the insane prices here lol...

11 hours ago, KuJoe said:

Giving people a 1Gbps uplink to the internet without the common knowledge to protect their networks is a bad thing. The majority of DDoS attacks I and clients receive are from residential IPs which is why my biggest attack so far has only been about 60Gbps. If those same people are upgraded to 1Gbps connection then the internet we know it is done for until Google Fiber connections get blacklisted.

First is most home routers less that $100-150 cant even handle routing more than 300mbps so your complaint goes straight out the window. Like this statement is just putting fear where its not even a thing. Most DDoS attacks dont saturate the victims connection or get even close. I am talking with a DNS reflection they are pushing like 4-5mbps max of data between multiple sources as it multiplies 10 fold and lessens hardware of detecting this attack or ISP of finding the true source.  

Cheap gigabit fiber is a good thing while most people hear are treating it like the plague. 

Just now, mynameisjuan said:

First is most home routers less that $100-150 cant even handle routing more than 300mbps so your complaint goes straight out the window. Like this statement is just putting fear where its not even a thing. Most DDoS attacks dont saturate the victims connection or get even close. I am talking with a DNS reflection they are pushing like 4-5mbps max of data between multiple sources as it multiplies 10 fold and lessens hardware of detecting this attack or ISP of finding the true source.  

Cheap gigabit fiber is a good thing while most people hear are treating it like the plague. 

300Mbps is nothing to laugh at, that's a significant amount of bandwidth when you times it by 50k. Reflection/amplification attacks have been on the decline as more and more people are fixing their services (excluding IoT, that's a whole other mess). I am not saying people shouldn't have gigabit connections at home, I'm saying that ISPs need to do a better job educating their clients before giving them something like that. The internet would be a much better place if ISPs required their clients to implement basic security on their network before being allowed to connect to the rest of us. Then again, ISPs should take some of the responsibility also and better monitor and manage their networks (but we all know that won't happen because it's not profitable enough for them to be proactive).

-KuJoe

Just now, KuJoe said:

300Mbps is nothing to laugh at, that's a significant amount of bandwidth when you times it by 50k. Reflection/amplification attacks have been on the decline as more and more people are fixing their services (excluding IoT, that's a whole other mess). I am not saying people shouldn't have gigabit connections at home, I'm saying that ISPs need to do a better job educating their clients before giving them something like that. The internet would be a much better place if ISPs required their clients to implement basic security on their network before being allowed to connect to the rest of us. Then again, ISPs should take some of the responsibility also and better monitor and manage their networks (but we all know that won't happen because it's not profitable enough for them to be proactive).

ISPs should take time to educate their customers? Hahah I you fucking serious? Should car dealerships be showing people how to drive better before giving them a sports car or large SUV? Since when is it the ISPs job. Maybe people should start to give a fuck about technology and understand it better. 

Also I love how you think its so easy to monitor and fix DDoS attacks on the fly but they dont because they are lazy. Do you work for an ISP and have you tried to stops an attack? No? Well its my job. Even if caught most our DDoS hardware ($300,000 each piece) is behind the edge routers preventing the traffic from leaving our network but that just isolates it until we can find and take down the internal attack. Depending on the scale it might take mins to even reach one client as a saturated network makes it next to impossible to reach in a reasonable amount of time. And this is with 4-5mbps of bandwidth. I like how you think malicous connections always saturate bandwidth of the victim, possible, yes, reality, no.

1 hour ago, mynameisjuan said:

ISPs should take time to educate their customers? Hahah I you fucking serious? Should car dealerships be showing people how to drive better before giving them a sports car or large SUV? Since when is it the ISPs job. Maybe people should start to give a fuck about technology and understand it better. 

That's not a good analogy because you need to prove that you can drive a car before purchasing one (i.e. you need a valid driver's license which you can't get without passing a test). I also agree that people should take the time to educate themselves also.

1 hour ago, mynameisjuan said:

Also I love how you think its so easy to monitor and fix DDoS attacks on the fly but they dont because they are lazy. Do you work for an ISP and have you tried to stops an attack? No? Well its my job. Even if caught most our DDoS hardware ($300,000 each piece) is behind the edge routers preventing the traffic from leaving our network but that just isolates it until we can find and take down the internal attack. Depending on the scale it might take mins to even reach one client as a saturated network makes it next to impossible to reach in a reasonable amount of time. And this is with 4-5mbps of bandwidth. I like how you think malicous connections always saturate bandwidth of the victim, possible, yes, reality, no.

I never said any of that. You're not understanding what I am saying. You are looking at the situation from a different perspective which is fine, but it's not relevant to what I'm talking about. I appreciate you taking the time to reply but we are talking about different things so I apologize for the confusion it's caused you.

-KuJoe

3 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

That's not a good analogy because you need to prove that you can drive a car before purchasing one (i.e. you need a valid driver's license which you can't get without passing a test). I also agree that people should take the time to educate themselves also.

A license proves you can drive but have you seen most drivers? lol. Give a kid a sports car and next thing hes speeding into traffic and causes and accident even though the license said he could driv. Point is both are situation both up to the user and its their responsibility not up to the company providing the product. 

3 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

I never said any of that. You're not understanding what I am saying. You are looking at the situation from a different perspective which is fine, but it's not relevant to what I'm talking about. I appreciate you taking the time to reply but we are talking about different things so I apologize for the confusion it's caused you.

No I get what you are saying. Yeah there is a risk giving a gig connection to a customer that might have malicious software and if it saturates that connection, that is a lot of data that can cause problems. What I am saying is that chance is incredibly small and shoulnt even be in the back of your mind.  

A license proves you can drive but have you seen most drivers? lol. Give a kid a sports car and next thing hes speeding into traffic and causes and accident even though the license said he could driv. Point is both are situation both up to the user and its their responsibility not up to the company providing the product. 

I still think these are different situations. I guess a better analogy would be giving a kid remote control access to tens of thousands of sports cars because a person in a single vehicle can't do the same level of damage as they could with a 1Gbps uplink.

No I get what you are saying. Yeah there is a risk giving a gig connection to a customer that might have malicious software and if it saturates that connection, that is a lot of data that can cause problems. What I am saying is that chance is incredibly small and shoulnt even be in the back of your mind.  

It's not in the back of my mind, it's in the front of my mind because it happens regularly. The amount of DDoS attacks my data centers deal with on a daily basis is sickening with a good amount of traffic coming from residential botnets and not some Ecatel servers. With the rise of IoT the amount of malicious traffic from residential ISPs has also increased to scary levels. I work with other small businesses and these attacks directly impact their income so when I see port speeds increasing with education and common sense decreasing it bothers me a lot. Hell, it's 2017 and we still have to tell people not to click on links or open attachments in their e-mails.

-KuJoe

I wish Google Fiber was available at my place. I can't even know when fiber will be available at locatins in city. They keep that info tight lip which sucks ass. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

14 hours ago, DudeWazap said:

snip

dont get exited

google fiber has been here for at least 2 years, and it won't be another 2 years before my house gets it

I live in Sandy Springs, a suburb of Atlanta

i like trains 🙂

10 hours ago, dizmo said:

snip

Google doesn't use the power poles, or anybody else's infrastructure for that matter. This is what they do:

i like trains 🙂

18 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

It's not in the back of my mind, it's in the front of my mind because it happens regularly. The amount of DDoS attacks my data centers deal with on a daily basis is sickening with a good amount of traffic coming from residential botnets and not some Ecatel servers. With the rise of IoT the amount of malicious traffic from residential ISPs has also increased to scary levels. I work with other small businesses and these attacks directly impact their income so when I see port speeds increasing with education and common sense decreasing it bothers me a lot. Hell, it's 2017 and we still have to tell people not to click on links or open attachments in their e-mails.

It doesnt happen regularly, you might get DDoS attempts or brute force but its not as common as you make it seem. I have a live monitor open up right now in real time monitor over 10,000 connection for this exact thing and right now there is a total of 3gbps of active traffic between all connections. All those connections have a total of maybe 80-90gbps and not a single one is saturated or causing a majority of the usage. Giving people a gig connection is really not a concern....really. 

13 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

It doesnt happen regularly, you might get DDoS attempts or brute force but its not as common as you make it seem. I have a live monitor open up right now in real time monitor over 10,000 connection for this exact thing and right now there is a total of 3gbps of active traffic between all connections. All those connections have a total of maybe 80-90gbps and not a single one is saturated or causing a majority of the usage. Giving people a gig connection is really not a concern....really. 

I wish my experience was the same as yours. Thanks for giving us insight from your perspective though.

-KuJoe

Just now, KuJoe said:

I wish my experience was the same as yours. Thanks for giving us insight from your perspective though.

I mean your experience is a handful of places while I am monitoring the actual traffic being passed between thousands of customers and job is to maintain and control it. But I guess my input doesnt matter. 

AT&T Fiber has more service areas than Google Fiber. It seems unlikely that Google will expand into those areas.

1 minute ago, TheCherryKing said:

AT&T Fiber has more service areas than Google Fiber. It seems unlikely that Google will expand into those areas.

It will if people are will to pay. Its not first come first serve

32 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

It will if people are will to pay. Its not first come first serve

Eventually, but not anytime soon. Most of the AT&T Fiber service area is in Florida. Google has very few planned service areas there. 

11 hours ago, Thony said:

I wasnt here for a while, do you mind explaining what is so evil about incredibly well priced uncapped broadband ? 

Maybe google has done something that I have missed so some filling in would be appretiated.

Google got too big and has now begun to censor/demolish opposition.  I don’t want a company that doesn’t particularly care about freedom of speech to control the internet.  That could lead to a china lookalike in 50+ years

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/08/30/us/politics/eric-schmidt-google-new-america.html?mcubz=3&_r=0&referer=https://www.buzzfeed.com/mattstoller2/google-tried-to-shut-us-down?utm_term=.fmmBX7Vpa

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

1 hour ago, Implosivetech said:

Google doesn't use the power poles, or anybody else's infrastructure for that matter. This is what they do:

I'm aware they don't use power poles, but you can still have land use right fees. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Rip me, I'd trade my 10 mbs down that costs $60 a month for that. 

System

Case- Thermaltake Core V21 / CPU - i7 4790 / GPU - Asus Strix GTX 1070 / Mobo - Gigabyte Z97 mx / Ram - 4x4 gb GSkill Sniper DDR3 1866 / Storage - 2x WD Black 1tb drives, 1x 120gb OCZ SSD / Cooler - Cooler Master TX3 / PSU - EVGA G2 650w / Audio - Sennheiser PC 350 SE / Monitor - Asus 1920X1080 @60hz / Keyboard & Mouse - Cooler Master Devastator II / OS - Windows 10 Enterprise