Google Fiber now offers gigabit for $55 per month to one City

Americans pay way too much for their internet,cable and phones/4g. 1Gbit is quite nice tho for that price.

1 hour ago, dizmo said:

I'm aware they don't use power poles, but you can still have land use right fees. 

They are using the utilities area, so it isnt really that bad for land rights. Remember, a few feet into somebody's yard is fair use. They only go down 12inches, so there arent any problems

i like trains 🙂

3 hours ago, mynameisjuan said:

I mean your experience is a handful of places while I am monitoring the actual traffic being passed between thousands of customers and job is to maintain and control it. But I guess my input doesnt matter. 

I'm sure your input matters to somebody, it just doesn't pertain to me. I am happy that your ISP is not part of the problem, but there are plenty other ISPs out there that simply don't care.

-KuJoe

5 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

I'm sure your input matters to somebody, it just doesn't pertain to me. I am happy that your ISP is not part of the problem, but there are plenty other ISPs out there that simply don't care.

Its not that they dont care, its just not their responsibility unless its affecting multiple customers. The job of an ISP is get a packet from point A-B, doesnt matter what the packet is its still up to you to be responsible. Not like this isnt measures you cant take. Also you might think they are not doing anything but they can open the flood gates if you want and you can see how much we do. 

25 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Its not that they dont care, its just not their responsibility unless its affecting multiple customers. The job of an ISP is get a packet from point A-B, doesnt matter what the packet is its still up to you to be responsible. Not like this isnt measures you cant take. Also you might think they are not doing anything but they can open the flood gates if you want and you can see how much we do. 

My point exactly. Nobody cares about DDoS attacks except the people getting attacked. The people generating the traffic for the attacks (the ISPs and their clients) can care less what their network is doing unless it impacts them directly (and like you said, it rarely does). It took us a while but I'm glad you and I both got here and are on the same page. :)

-KuJoe

5 hours ago, Implosivetech said:

dont get exited

google fiber has been here for at least 2 years, and it won't be another 2 years before my house gets it

I live in Sandy Springs, a suburb of Atlanta

It's different for you since they are doing micro-trenching here in San Antonio which according to Google has sped up the installation process more than double the speed.

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

4 hours ago, TheCherryKing said:

AT&T Fiber has more service areas than Google Fiber. It seems unlikely that Google will expand into those areas.

I actually called Google after I signed up.

My area has AT&T fiber and Google has started in the districts that don;t have Fiber yet.

I asked if they will also have Google Fiber in my area even though I already have AT&T fiber and they said yes.

They plan on the whole city to have Google Fiber as well as AT&T fiber in order to compete.

This is a win for the consumer because they have multiple options now in San Antonio (4 ISPs) 3 of which offer gigabit and one (Spectrum) that's trash and nobody should use anyway.

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

20 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

If you think Google isn't a greedy ISP then you really need a reality check.

They are an internet first company, so they will push for internet to very accessible. Where as AT&T and Spectrum will continually gimp their service here or there to encourage cable tv.

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

2 minutes ago, DudeWazap said:

It's different for you since they are doing micro-trenching here in San Antonio which according to Google has sped up the installation process more than double the speed.

5 minutes ago, DudeWazap said:

Its taking longer for us because we have double the population in 1.5 times the area

i like trains 🙂

8 hours ago, goodtofufriday said:

They are an internet first company, so they will push for internet to very accessible. Where as AT&T and Spectrum will continually gimp their service here or there to encourage cable tv.

Yeah I switched to AT&T fiber and only pay for internet. Even when I was signing up they asked if i was really sure I didn't want to bundle and get their Direct TV package.

I told them no and then they asked again if I watched sports or any current series and i just said no I don't watch anything so they can stop bugging me and let me sign up for only internet so I can stream like everyone else does these days.

Same goes for Spectrum. After I canceled them they keep coming to our neighborhood and bugging us to switch back or when I go to local stores they have sales people there also trying to get people to sign back up. They seem pretty desperate now. I have been seeing each quarter more and more people cancel cable in the US.

They need to learn how to adapt an accept that nobody wants giant cable packages anymore.

Spoiler

-

On 11/15/2017 at 7:18 PM, DudeWazap said:

From my understanding ISP get massive tax breaks which are supposed to be used to upgrade infrastructure which they don't unless forced to.

The only reason AT&T offers Fiber now is because Google started to build here.

competition is always good for the consumer.

Google doesn't build. The reason they are in so few markets is because they have only been going where there is ample dark fiber. Fiber lines laid by other infrastructure providers or ISPs that are currently unused and that they can cheaply lease. They then get the customers to help subsidize pushing fiber to the home or the node for their internet. I especially like how if you pay for the hardware getting pushed to your house you can get free internet, slower, but free. And if you want full speed you just start paying. Getting as many people as possible to pony up for the "last mile" infrastructure makes it easier for everyone to benefit from it.

If and when Google starts running their own fiber backbone you will see competition really heat up as Google has the resources needed to push into contested and densely populated areas without worrying about AT&T or Comcast being butt-hurt. 

More competition is always better. And getting the government further and further from the battlefield will let US benefit from it rather than the connected few.