Price of silicon wafer rising sharply

Prysin
14 minutes ago, Prysin said:

on the other side, gov taking over production by force and introducing price control would brutally murder the whole silicon industry

It's technically Market Manipulation (i think i forget now), what the government can do is block all shipments from said companies, and give grants to companies on american soil to start production.

Alternatively if companies did the math and found building their own infrastructure if it saves them money in 15 years it would force them to lower prices too.

I already basically said this on Page 2 but it seems everyone wants to cry about the prices instead so here you guys go:

tenor.gif

8 minutes ago, Orangeator said:

Well, actually the U.S. government very much so could. Technically they could just ban the import of silicon and bend manufactures arm's to lower the price. And then there wouldn't be a god damn thing the companies could do, that would literally bankrupt them. Buuuttttttt the chances of that happening are quite literally not there.

Edit: Hell I am pretty sure the president could sign an executive order banning the purchase of it from other countries which would seriously hurt them, even though it would be overturned, you are talking a week or two (a week or two of no income, for a business, would hurt their earning reports, and lose investors, tanking their stock) before anything is done to over turn it.

no they couldnt, because the companies would just flag out of the US in such an event. This would cost the states 50-100k+ jobs. Thus just the thought of such a bill being written is well, a pipe dream.

no senator or congressman would EVER dare write or support such a bill, as it would make them directly liable for the loss of thousands of jobs.

The president does not have such authority. Such authority goees under the state department and the department of commerce and trade or whatever its called

2 minutes ago, Prysin said:

no they couldnt, because the companies would just flag out of the US in such an event. This would cost the states 50-100k+ jobs.

ummm where did you get those numbers? plus most electronics are made in china and other cheap locations anyways... Plus Apple and Samsung are not going to pull out of the USA nor will anyone else... It would kill them faster than any bill or regulation could.

1 minute ago, Egg-Roll said:

ummm where did you get those numbers? plus most electronics are made in china and other cheap locations anyways... Plus Apple and Samsung are not going to pull out of the USA nor will anyone else... It would kill them faster than any bill or regulation could.

just look up roughly all the people involved in Intel, AMD, Nvidia etc that is working in the US + direct subcontractors and those numbers are probably not far off

24 minutes ago, Prysin said:

on the other side, gov taking over production by force and introducing price control would brutally murder the whole silicon industry

oooooooh, that's pretty debatable.  I have lived through many industries (phone, power, gas and water) being Government owned/regulated and then privatized to a free market.  There seems to be minor trade off's,  and which ones better seems to be subjective. 

At any rate I think they are just making stuff up to charge more,  I mean,  I can still buy my silicone for $3 a tube from bunnings. O.o

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

just when it was looking good for DRAM with samsung saying they were expanding their fabs...

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

9 minutes ago, Prysin said:

just look up roughly all the people involved in Intel, AMD, Nvidia etc that is working in the US + direct subcontractors and those numbers are probably not far off

Still how many of those will pull out? 0 that's how many. If we block imports of one item from all producers who want to gouge on price there will be a dozen startups to handle the supply demand and those morons will have to go back to the old pricing. Besides don't a few of those companies make their own wafers?

Intel does that is for sure https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/foundry/wafer-manufacturing.html

That means anything intel or intel relyant is going nowhere as long as they dont jump on the gouging wagon.

Also quickly looking at ram costs going up it's not the cost of silica its supply/demand nonsense. which makes this even more dumb. https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/ddr4-prices-what-the-crap-is-going-on.2512320/

If silica wafers was such a huge overhead on all devices, i would expect everything would be 10x more expensive. But luckily they aren't.

Make this black friday count, I find funny there was people still dreaming that RAM and SSD prices would fall, same with GPU, moral of the story all is getting more expensive.

For a brief period getting a PC gaming indeed was somewhat cheap then in the past but we're back to the old fashion rule that PC Gaming indeed is more Elite and expensive than console gaming... At least on the mid to high end.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

I doubt this will be a huge issue. Due to process shrinking and higher yields (like Ryzen being up to 95+%), I doubt it will be a huge issue. Especially if Navi will be a multi die part similar to ThreadRipper. Certainly things like silicon interposers will be more expensive, but I wonder if AMD can get something out of their Intel collaboration with the silicon bridge technology. Let's see how it goes. It's not like it's a big issue in a total build if SSD's, RAM and GPU's go down in price.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

"We don't care that there's demand, we're just going to jack prices and rake in the extra dough!"

Quick, someone start-up a Wafer Manufacturing business!

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

4 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

this is why investors need to not be part of a corporate hierarchy.

It's always investors screwing over consumers from micro-transaction loot boxes to now price gauging silicon wafer customers and consumers.

You dont know how buisness works do you

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

2 hours ago, mr moose said:

At any rate I think they are just making stuff up to charge more,  I mean,  I can still buy my silicone for $3 a tube from bunnings. O.o

I'm sure you know this but just in case: Silicon and silicone are two very different things and aren't remotely comparable. Microchip-grade silicon wafers have to be incredibly pure, perfect crystalline Si wafers with extremely tight tolerances. Silicone is SiO (chemically very different) and isn't crystalline or pure by any relative measure and is used for bathrooms, boobs, and lubrication (among many, many other uses).

Primary PC-

CPU: Intel i7-6800k @ 4.2-4.4Ghz   CPU COOLER: Bequiet Dark Rock Pro 4   MOBO: MSI X99A SLI Plus   RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX quad-channel DDR4-2800  GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX   PSU: Corsair RM1000i   CASE: Corsair 750D Obsidian   SSDs: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo + 256GB Samsung 850 Pro   HDDs: Toshiba 3TB + Seagate 1TB   Monitors: Acer Predator XB271HUC 27" 2560x1440 (165Hz G-Sync)  +  LG 29UM57 29" 2560x1080   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Album

Other Systems:

Spoiler

Home HTPC/NAS-

CPU: AMD FX-8320 @ 4.4Ghz  MOBO: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3   RAM: 16GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 760 OC   PSU: Rosewill 750W   CASE: Antec Gaming One   SSD: 120GB PNY CS1311   HDDs: WD Red 3TB + WD 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200 -or- Steam Link to Vizio M43C1 43" 4K TV  OS: Windows 10 Pro

Offsite NAS/VM Server-

CPU: 2x Xeon E5645 (12-core)  Model: Dell PowerEdge T610  RAM: 16GB DDR3-1333  PSUs: 2x 570W  SSDs: 8GB Kingston Boot FD + 32GB Sandisk Cache SSD   HDDs: WD Red 4TB + Seagate 2TB + Seagate 320GB   OS: FreeNAS 11+

Laptop-

CPU: Intel i7-3520M   Model: Dell Latitude E6530   RAM: 8GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Nvidia NVS 5200M   SSD: 240GB TeamGroup L5   HDD: WD Black 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Having issues with a Corsair AIO? Possible fix here:

Spoiler

Are you getting weird fan behavior, speed fluctuations, and/or other issues with Link?

Are you running AIDA64, HWinfo, CAM, or HWmonitor? (ASUS suite & other monitoring software often have the same issue.)

Corsair Link has problems with some monitoring software so you may have to change some settings to get them to work smoothly.

-For AIDA64: First make sure you have the newest update installed, then, go to Preferences>Stability and make sure the "Corsair Link sensor support" box is checked and make sure the "Asetek LC sensor support" box is UNchecked.

-For HWinfo: manually disable all monitoring of the AIO sensors/components.

-For others: Disable any monitoring of Corsair AIO sensors.

That should fix the fan issue for some Corsair AIOs (H80i GT/v2, H110i GTX/H115i, H100i GTX and others made by Asetek). The problem is bad coding in Link that fights for AIO control with other programs. You can test if this worked by setting the fan speed in Link to 100%, if it doesn't fluctuate you are set and can change the curve to whatever. If that doesn't work or you're still having other issues then you probably still have a monitoring software interfering with the AIO/Link communications, find what it is and disable it.

This is one of the cases that make me want more regulations from governments, especially in some countries.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

1 hour ago, PocketNerd said:

"We don't care that there's demand, we're just going to jack prices and rake in the extra dough!"

Quick, someone start-up a Wafer Manufacturing business!

It's not that simple. For new fabs to be built there needs to be long term demand. If they can't keep them running at or near capacity, it can cost more than it's worth.

They shouldn't react to sudden temporary spikes in demand, it's bad business to do so.

If there were enough demand, it's in their best interest to meet it. Or else other fabs will.

System specs:

GTX 1050

16GB DDR3

Samsung evo SSD

a few HDD's

11 minutes ago, Terryv said:

It's not that simple. For new fabs to be built there needs to be long term demand. If they can't keep them running at or near capacity, it can cost more than it's worth.

They shouldn't react to sudden temporary spikes in demand, it's bad business to do so.

If there were enough demand, it's in their best interest to meet it. Or else other fabs will.

If they're jacking prices by another 20% for 2018 because of demand, would that not be an indicator that this isn't temporary?

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

Welp, guess my outdated, broken ass rig and laptop are going to have to tuff it up for another few years. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

7 hours ago, pyrojoe34 said:

I'm sure you know this but just in case: Silicon and silicone are two very different things and aren't remotely comparable. Microchip-grade silicon wafers have to be incredibly pure, perfect crystalline Si wafers with extremely tight tolerances. Silicone is SiO (chemically very different) and isn't crystalline or pure by any relative measure and is used for bathrooms, boobs, and lubrication (among many, many other uses).

very aware, but thanks anyway.  :thumbsup:

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

In the production market today there has been a massive increase in the cost of recycled and kraft papers (single wall packaging) & corrugated products (Boxes) due to a Far East paper shortage. Does not make the news, but making a much larger impact.

Lian Li PC-V359WRX Micro-ATX Case | Intel 5960X Extreme 3.00GHz | ASRock Fatal1ty X99M KILLER | Crucial 32 GB 2666 DDR4 | Thermaltake NiC C5 | EVGA Supernova 1200W P2 | 2x 240GB OCZ Radeon R7 | 2x 256 GB Samsung 840 Series Pro | 2 X 120GB Samsung 840 EVO | 6x NF-F12’s | Place Holder GPU R9 290X |

Links Current 5960X Old FX9590

When companies collude to lower output (and maximise profits) it creates opportunities for other companies to enter the market so it isn't a good long term strategy. Yes they make good short term growth but over time they will lose market share.

That is why Samsung and Co are increasing supply of memory next year after artificially limiting it this year to drive prices up. They don't want Chinese companies springing up to fill the void they are intentionally creating.

Same with rare earth minerals in China, they cornered the market years ago but then started making political threats with supply. A lot of previously unviable production sites in the world then became viable again and it turned around to bite the Chinese on the arse. 

~~Kuroneko~~

- Ryzen Threadripper 1950X 16-Core

- Corsair H115i Pro 280 Liquid Cooler

- Asus X399 ROG Zenith Extreme MB

- 2x Nvidia Titan V

- Corsair 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3000MHz

- Samsung 960 Pro Series 1TB M.2 SSD

- Western Digital RED Pro 6TB 64M SATA

- Corsair AX1500i Titianium PSU

- Fractal Design Define R6 Blackout

- 3x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial 140mm 3000RPM Fans

~~Chibineko~~

- Ryzen 7 2700X 8-Core

- Corsair H115i 280 Liquid Cooler

- Asus X470-F ROG Strix  MB

- 2x MSI Vega 64 Wave Liquid Cooled

- G.Skill Sniper X 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3600MHz

- Samsung 960 Pro Series 512GB M.2 SSD

- Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD

- Corsair AX1200i 80+ Platinum

- Fractal Design Define R5

- 5x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial 140mm 3000RPM Fans

14 hours ago, Notional said:

I doubt this will be a huge issue. Due to process shrinking and higher yields (like Ryzen being up to 95+%), I doubt it will be a huge issue. Especially if Navi will be a multi die part similar to ThreadRipper. Certainly things like silicon interposers will be more expensive, but I wonder if AMD can get something out of their Intel collaboration with the silicon bridge technology. Let's see how it goes. It's not like it's a big issue in a total build if SSD's, RAM and GPU's go down in price.

this will not affect AMD that much. But intels XEONs and Nvidias high end GPUs, both of which is monolithic designs, and thus requires a lot of silicon, these thigns will be hurt

1 hour ago, Prysin said:

this will not affect AMD that much. But intels XEONs and Nvidias high end GPUs, both of which is monolithic designs, and thus requires a lot of silicon, these thigns will be hurt

Both of those products carry a huge profit margin though. I do wonder how big Intel's and TSMC's silicon ingot stock is. Could be quite a delayed reaction in pricing, if any.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

here i am still saving for a 1080 ti. and now i have to read this bullsh*t :|