Price of silicon wafer rising sharply

Prysin
26 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

this is why investors need to not be part of a corporate hierarchy.

It's always investors screwing over consumers from micro-transaction loot boxes to now price gauging silicon wafer customers and consumers.

i kind of agree with you on that one . It's coming to a point where they are interfering with the actual company and their work , with the only goal to increase the bottom line . Long term sustainability and reputation be damned.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Just now, MyName13 said:

I thought big semiconductor companies make wafers by themselves.

Mostly, but they have to get the raw materials from somewhere and that increased.

1 minute ago, Coaxialgamer said:

i kind of agree with you on that one . It's coming to a point where they are interfering with the actual company and their work , with the only goal to increase the bottom line . Long term sustainability and reputation be damned.

Yeah and as soon as it looks like the company is gonna have long term impacts then they sell their shares and bam.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 hour ago, Prysin said:

quite a bit more. With such an increase, i expect DRAM in particular to rise by another 30-50% in 2018 over todays prices... CPUs will have a bit less dramatic bump. GPUs, especially big monolithic designs like nvidias Titan, Tesla, Quadro and 1080Ti will definetively increase by another 30-50$ base MSRP if not more

Where did you get these estimations from? You have to know how much the raw silicon contributes to the total cost of a product before knowing the effect. If the silicon is only like 1% of the total cost of a chip then the cost of manufacturing increase due to a 20% increase in wafer cost will only be like 0.2% which is almost negligible to the end user. I don't know what the contribution of the cost of silicon is to the final product but I doubt it's as high as you imply, this may only result in very minor price changes overall.

Primary PC-

CPU: Intel i7-6800k @ 4.2-4.4Ghz   CPU COOLER: Bequiet Dark Rock Pro 4   MOBO: MSI X99A SLI Plus   RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX quad-channel DDR4-2800  GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX   PSU: Corsair RM1000i   CASE: Corsair 750D Obsidian   SSDs: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo + 256GB Samsung 850 Pro   HDDs: Toshiba 3TB + Seagate 1TB   Monitors: Acer Predator XB271HUC 27" 2560x1440 (165Hz G-Sync)  +  LG 29UM57 29" 2560x1080   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Album

Other Systems:

Spoiler

Home HTPC/NAS-

CPU: AMD FX-8320 @ 4.4Ghz  MOBO: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3   RAM: 16GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 760 OC   PSU: Rosewill 750W   CASE: Antec Gaming One   SSD: 120GB PNY CS1311   HDDs: WD Red 3TB + WD 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200 -or- Steam Link to Vizio M43C1 43" 4K TV  OS: Windows 10 Pro

Offsite NAS/VM Server-

CPU: 2x Xeon E5645 (12-core)  Model: Dell PowerEdge T610  RAM: 16GB DDR3-1333  PSUs: 2x 570W  SSDs: 8GB Kingston Boot FD + 32GB Sandisk Cache SSD   HDDs: WD Red 4TB + Seagate 2TB + Seagate 320GB   OS: FreeNAS 11+

Laptop-

CPU: Intel i7-3520M   Model: Dell Latitude E6530   RAM: 8GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Nvidia NVS 5200M   SSD: 240GB TeamGroup L5   HDD: WD Black 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Having issues with a Corsair AIO? Possible fix here:

Spoiler

Are you getting weird fan behavior, speed fluctuations, and/or other issues with Link?

Are you running AIDA64, HWinfo, CAM, or HWmonitor? (ASUS suite & other monitoring software often have the same issue.)

Corsair Link has problems with some monitoring software so you may have to change some settings to get them to work smoothly.

-For AIDA64: First make sure you have the newest update installed, then, go to Preferences>Stability and make sure the "Corsair Link sensor support" box is checked and make sure the "Asetek LC sensor support" box is UNchecked.

-For HWinfo: manually disable all monitoring of the AIO sensors/components.

-For others: Disable any monitoring of Corsair AIO sensors.

That should fix the fan issue for some Corsair AIOs (H80i GT/v2, H110i GTX/H115i, H100i GTX and others made by Asetek). The problem is bad coding in Link that fights for AIO control with other programs. You can test if this worked by setting the fan speed in Link to 100%, if it doesn't fluctuate you are set and can change the curve to whatever. If that doesn't work or you're still having other issues then you probably still have a monitoring software interfering with the AIO/Link communications, find what it is and disable it.

6 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

Conspiracy Theorist in Me: You know it might just be coincidence that you (with that profile pic) reported this, but Trump just got back from his Asia trip. Maybe something went down that rocked the material pricing.

this has been going on for some while. The prices increased 20% this year, compared to Q4 last year. ANd will continue to do so.

If anything, blame china and mobile.

8 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

Mostly, but they have to get the raw materials from somewhere and that increased.

I see that wafers are mentioned, not raw materials.

10 minutes ago, MyName13 said:

I see that wafers are mentioned, not raw materials.

Just a bit of speculation from my end.

1 hour ago, Swatson said:

Is price fixing still illegal when it's done by companies in different countries, how does one even try to fight against that....

Ban all imports from said companies, and those who import it could face heavy fines if caught (ultimately smuggling).

Think of it like Blood Diamonds

What i have read here It sounds very much like the common rock called a Diamond... Those things are very useless...

1 hour ago, Dylanc1500 said:

I honestly couldn't tell you. I assume they could halt import for not conforming to U.S. Law but I'm not well versed in import laws and sanctions. One of the mods was pretty knowledgable in this area but I don't remember whom.

Wouldnt that just make them even more expensive? 

46 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Soo... time to buy RAM while it is still "cheap"? Resell next year for profit?

I doubt it, RAM right now is super inflated already and will probably drop again once the market stabilizes. I don't know how much the cost of raw silicon contributes to chip price but I doubt it's a massive amount. Right now seems like the worst time to buy RAM. 18mo ago I bought a 4x8GB DDR4 kit for $120 which is now selling for $360, it's definitely not a good time to buy.

Primary PC-

CPU: Intel i7-6800k @ 4.2-4.4Ghz   CPU COOLER: Bequiet Dark Rock Pro 4   MOBO: MSI X99A SLI Plus   RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX quad-channel DDR4-2800  GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX   PSU: Corsair RM1000i   CASE: Corsair 750D Obsidian   SSDs: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo + 256GB Samsung 850 Pro   HDDs: Toshiba 3TB + Seagate 1TB   Monitors: Acer Predator XB271HUC 27" 2560x1440 (165Hz G-Sync)  +  LG 29UM57 29" 2560x1080   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Album

Other Systems:

Spoiler

Home HTPC/NAS-

CPU: AMD FX-8320 @ 4.4Ghz  MOBO: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3   RAM: 16GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 760 OC   PSU: Rosewill 750W   CASE: Antec Gaming One   SSD: 120GB PNY CS1311   HDDs: WD Red 3TB + WD 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200 -or- Steam Link to Vizio M43C1 43" 4K TV  OS: Windows 10 Pro

Offsite NAS/VM Server-

CPU: 2x Xeon E5645 (12-core)  Model: Dell PowerEdge T610  RAM: 16GB DDR3-1333  PSUs: 2x 570W  SSDs: 8GB Kingston Boot FD + 32GB Sandisk Cache SSD   HDDs: WD Red 4TB + Seagate 2TB + Seagate 320GB   OS: FreeNAS 11+

Laptop-

CPU: Intel i7-3520M   Model: Dell Latitude E6530   RAM: 8GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Nvidia NVS 5200M   SSD: 240GB TeamGroup L5   HDD: WD Black 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Having issues with a Corsair AIO? Possible fix here:

Spoiler

Are you getting weird fan behavior, speed fluctuations, and/or other issues with Link?

Are you running AIDA64, HWinfo, CAM, or HWmonitor? (ASUS suite & other monitoring software often have the same issue.)

Corsair Link has problems with some monitoring software so you may have to change some settings to get them to work smoothly.

-For AIDA64: First make sure you have the newest update installed, then, go to Preferences>Stability and make sure the "Corsair Link sensor support" box is checked and make sure the "Asetek LC sensor support" box is UNchecked.

-For HWinfo: manually disable all monitoring of the AIO sensors/components.

-For others: Disable any monitoring of Corsair AIO sensors.

That should fix the fan issue for some Corsair AIOs (H80i GT/v2, H110i GTX/H115i, H100i GTX and others made by Asetek). The problem is bad coding in Link that fights for AIO control with other programs. You can test if this worked by setting the fan speed in Link to 100%, if it doesn't fluctuate you are set and can change the curve to whatever. If that doesn't work or you're still having other issues then you probably still have a monitoring software interfering with the AIO/Link communications, find what it is and disable it.

11 minutes ago, michaelocarroll007 said:

Wouldnt that just make them even more expensive? 

Possibly, depends on how it's handled. If it causes them to drop pricing back down or increase production then no. If they refuse and drop supply then yes it would most likely increase cost, but that is still dependent on all the different wafer manufacturers.

Like I said I'm not well versed on import laws and sanctions so I don't know what they can do. It was just one option. It's all hypothetical though so it has no weight to it. We will see what happens, if anything.

Surprise, we're putting electronics into more things than ever and they're having trouble keeping up? You don't say! All this is going to take is increased production, both in the harvesting of raw resources and the production of wafers. This of course takes time, usually you have to have a couple years of sustained demand before a company will invest a great deal of money into infrastructure. You don't spend billions of dollars on factories in a knee jerk "oh wow there's been huge demand these past couple months!"

3 hours ago, pyrojoe34 said:

Yea but what fraction of the final cost is the raw silicon? If it takes 1$ worth of silicon for a $300 CPU then a 20% increase is only $0.20... not a huge factor.

A 300mm wafer is ~$400.

The yield per wafer is apparently a guarded number, AMD gets around 150 per 200mm wafer? So for sake of a number we'll say a 300mm wafer gets 225 (could be more). So ~120 CPUs (graphics is a separate die). $3.33 per CPU, for a price increase of $0.66. Even at a multiple of 10, it's a $6.60 increase. Or a nice coffee.

Very, very rough numbers, but still. I didn't want to look that much into it :P

People are over reacting. Silicone, as you've said, is a small part of the process. This doesn't increase the greater costs; shipping, distribution, marketing, packaging, etc.

3 hours ago, Prysin said:

quite a bit more. With such an increase, i expect DRAM in particular to rise by another 30-50% in 2018 over todays prices... CPUs will have a bit less dramatic bump. GPUs, especially big monolithic designs like nvidias Titan, Tesla, Quadro and 1080Ti will definetively increase by another 30-50$ base MSRP if not more

Samsungs investments into increased memory production should help with that greatly. I don't think RAM will go up that much. Gamers Nexus had a news article saying there will be a surplus of RAM, though I didn't watch the video.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

4 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Surprise, we're putting electronics into more things than ever and they're having trouble keeping up? You don't say! All this is going to take is increased production, both in the harvesting of raw resources and the production of wafers. This of course takes time, usually you have to have a couple years of sustained demand before a company will invest a great deal of money into infrastructure. You don't spend billions of dollars on factories in a knee jerk "oh wow there's been huge demand these past couple months!"

A 300mm wafer is ~$400.

The yield per wafer is apparently a guarded number, AMD gets around 150 per 200mm wafer? So for sake of a number we'll say a 300mm wafer gets 225 (could be more). So ~120 CPUs (graphics is a separate die). $3.33 per CPU, for a price increase of $0.66. Even at a multiple of 10, it's a $6.60 increase. Or a nice coffee.

Very, very rough numbers, but still. I didn't want to look that much into it :P

People are over reacting. Silicone, as you've said, is a small part of the process. This doesn't increase the greater costs; shipping, distribution, marketing, packaging, etc.

Samsungs investments into increased memory production should help with that greatly. I don't think RAM will go up that much. Gamers Nexus had a news article saying there will be a surplus of RAM, though I didn't watch the video.

ofcourse it will.

If you had read my OP, you'd understand that THEY ARENT WILLING TO INCREASE PRODUCTION IN ORDER TO MAINTAIN HIGHER PRICES. HIGHER SUPPLY = LOWER PRICE.....

This is 2009-2014 oil prices all over again.

If wafer production remains the same, and memory production increase, that means you need to buy more wafers at higher prices (and everyone wants wafers). So thus the competition further increases the cost of wafers.

Thus memory prices increase, as the "raw material", aka wafers, is in artificial short supply

4 minutes ago, Prysin said:

ofcourse it will.

If you had read my OP, you'd understand that THEY ARENT WILLING TO INCREASE PRODUCTION IN ORDER TO MAINTAIN HIGHER PRICES. HIGHER SUPPLY = LOWER PRICE.....

Sooo you're just ignoring the fact that they're currently building 2 NAND factories, investing over $18,000,000,000?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

On 14/11/2017 at 7:10 PM, dizmo said:

Sooo you're just ignoring the fact that they're currently building 2 NAND factories, investing over $18,000,000,000?

what does it matter if they build NAND factories

Spoiler

IF

THEY

HAVE

NO

FUCKING

CHEAP

WAFERS

TO

PUT

INTO

THE

NAND

FACTORY

the WAFER MANUFACTURERS are a "cartel". They have a wink wink nod nod agreement to HOLD BACK PRODUCTION, so they can INFLATE PRICES.

Spoiler

IF

WAFERS

INCREASE

IN

PRICE

THEN

ANY

PRODUCT

BASED

ON

WAFERS

MUST

INCREASE

IN

PRICE

UNLESS

YOU

WANT

TO

LOSE

MONEY

Edited by TheRandomness

Just now, AlwaysFSX said:

There's literally no reason to do that other than "We want to charge you more."

Fuckers.

exactly, and since they are a collection of multi national companies, there is almost no way to stop them

Just now, Prysin said:

exactly, and since they are a collection of multi national companies, there is almost no way to stop them

Could have manufacturing created in someplace like the US but I guarantee you that'll be as expensive, if not more.

Just now, AlwaysFSX said:

Could have manufacturing created in someplace like the US but I guarantee you that'll be as expensive, if not more.

and the US company will just silently join the "wink wink nod nod" agreement. Aslong as there is no direct evidence of "collusion", US gov couldnt do shit about it7

Just now, Prysin said:

and the US company will just silently join the "wink wink nod nod" agreement. Aslong as there is no direct evidence of "collusion", US gov couldnt do shit about it7

It's infuriating.

3 minutes ago, Prysin said:

on the other side, gov taking over production by force and introducing price control would brutally murder the whole silicon industry

Depends, could do cost of production + 3% profit. Wouldn't completely kill it.

9 minutes ago, Prysin said:

US gov couldnt do shit about it7

Well, actually the U.S. government very much so could. Technically they could just ban the import of silicon and bend manufactures arm's to lower the price. And then there wouldn't be a god damn thing the companies could do, that would literally bankrupt them. Buuuttttttt the chances of that happening are quite literally not there.

Edit: Hell I am pretty sure the president could sign an executive order banning the purchase of it from other countries which would seriously hurt them, even though it would be overturned, you are talking a week or two (a week or two of no income, for a business, would hurt their earning reports, and lose investors, tanking their stock) before anything is done to over turn it.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D