Apple confirms: iPhone X users might experience "burn-in"

goodtofufriday

Source

Apple-iPhone-X-horizontal.jpg

Apple finally started officially selling the iPhone X yesterday, and some elements of the device are coming to light for the first time. Some of the more important features of the phone have been reviewed over and over again in the past few days but some aren't going to unveil themselves for long time.

Now Apple has released a document that details some of the features of an OLED display. This includes explaining the many pros of the first ever iPhone OLED but also a few cons that might affect your viewing pleasures. 

According to the document you may experience shifts in colors when viewed off-angle. This is of course normal for an OLED display, and according to reports nowhere near as bad as with the Pixel 2 displays, which have been criticized heavily. 

The second one is another one of OLED's typical shortcomings, "burn-in". The burn-in, or "image persistence", is a phenomenon where a static image may burn a ghost image in the display that will be permanent. 

Apple also says that the display is "best in the industry in reducing the effects" and that they have engineered it themselves that way specifically burn-in in mind. The iOS 11 experience also takes into account that iPhone X has an OLED display and reduces the severity of burn-in effect with software solutions. 

Link to document: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208191

I find it interesting that Apple even made comments on burn in as that ive seen it hasnt been a notable issue on iphones for the most part. In contrast I have seen it happen extremely often on samsung phones. in the tit for tat bettle between samsung and apple.

Heres hoping that the 1000$ phone doesnt get burn in to a noticeable degree and not within a year or two of use. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

OLED is susceptible to it to a greater degree due to the use of organic compounds.

They break down over time and lose their luminance. 

Acts like max brightness will reduce its lifespan.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

18 minutes ago, goodtofufriday said:

I find it interesting that Apple even made comments on burn in as that ive seen it hasnt been a notable issue on iphones for the most part. In contrast I have seen it happen extremely often on samsung phones. in the tit for tat bettle between samsung and apple.

That's because apple hasn't used OLED up until now. Unfortunately these are typical shortcomings of the technology, but they have improved a lot in recent years and on mobile they shouldn't be a problem outside of extreme edge cases. Long story short, don't spend 5 hours looking at the same picture on them and you'll be fine.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

9 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Long story short, don't spend 5 hours looking at the same picture on them and you'll be fine.

Thats not all the story. Even if you are on the image for 1 min maybe say every 30mins, over a year it will for sure appear to burn in. Its not just never let a static image stay for a certain period of time. Its just pixels slowly wearing out. 

1 minute ago, mynameisjuan said:

Thats not at all the story. Even if you are on the image for 1 min maybe say every 30mins, over a year it will for sure appear to burn in. Its not just never let a static image stay for a certain period of time. Its just pixels slowly wearing out. 

I Don't think that image would. if you where keeping a static image on for 1 min every 30 mins between tasks the pixels would be changing colour meaning that colour pixel wouldn't burn the screen.

Because this is similar to those apps with a Fixed Header bar which stays there while you use the app. They don't appear to burn in even though some people would use that app for 20-30mins a day depending on the apps functions, Whatsapp for example or even messenger

Some people prefer a challenge, I just band my head against a wall until my method works...

4 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

I think Apple should've kept the IPS LCD display for the iPhone X. 

To me this was more of Apple testing the waters and seeing if OLED would work out.

If all goes well enough, it stays. If not, well it doesn't. There's no shame in sticking with their LCD displays, because they're pretty fucking amazing.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

12 minutes ago, Alex Colson said:

I Don't think that image would. if you where keeping a static image on for 1 min every 30 mins between tasks the pixels would be changing colour meaning that colour pixel wouldn't burn the screen.

Because this is similar to those apps with a Fixed Header bar which stays there while you use the app. They don't appear to burn in even though some people would use that app for 20-30mins a day depending on the apps functions, Whatsapp for example or even messenger

Trust me, I have two OLED TVs and have been using OLED on phones since Samsung first released them. My TVs especially I take care of to prevent burn in because they cost over $3k a piece. When I cast to them there is a small yellow icon that popups up in the right hand side of the screen and is there for about 5 secs before it goes away. After a year on one and almost two years on the other you can see the mark left behind of red screens. That icon was only apparent for 5 secs maybe 2-3 times a day. Thats all it takes. 

OLED burn in is not the same as plasma. If you leave a static image for 5 hours straight vs 10min a day for 1800 days the result will be the same. Is just pixels losing life. 

9 minutes ago, Alex Colson said:

There is a misconception and wording issue with calling it "burn-in" as its more accurately, burning out as the less are getting dimmer over time due to usage. Its not like back in the day with CRTs. Think of it more as a burning out. The more a specific color is used the quicker that color will dim compared to the others causing that specific placement to not be as bright as intended.

Hmm, though I thought OLED got improved in that area. Really want a OLED monitor. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

This is why I don’t like OLED. Good ol’ IGZO LCDs are my bread and butter. 

ZamoRIG 2.0:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.9GHz

Cooling: DeepCool Captain 240 RGB + 2x Corsair ML120 fans

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming x2 

Motherboard: Asrock X370 Gaming K4 

RAM: 2x8GB DDR4 G Skill Ripjaws V Grey @ 2800MHz 

SSDs: 2xPatriot Ignite M.2 240GB

HDD: WD Black 1TB + WD Green 2TB

PSU: Corsair RM750

Case: Corsair Carbide 400C

ZamoRIG “Portable”:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @ 4GHz

Cooling: Corsair H80i 

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming 

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350N Gaming WiFi

RAM: 1x16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengance  @ 2400MHz 

SSD: Patriot Ignite M.2 240GB 

HDD: 2TB 2.5” Seagate HDD 

PSU: Corsair TX650M 

Case: Siverstone SG13

They shouldn't of needed to release a statement, it's OLED that's what happens. This is probably though the first massive mainstream product to use it. I know a ton of smart watches and fitness trackers use it, but not a lot of people know that, and I know Android phones have had them for a while, but most people who have them are familiar with OLED, and OLED TVs aren't widespread enough. This is an iPhone this is the first massive product that features the technology.

1 hour ago, hey_yo_ said:

I think Apple should've kept the IPS LCD display for the iPhone X. 

You and me both. 

2 minutes ago, Stefan1024 said:

Makes you wonder why they increased the price for display repair... /s

Just for general public information, Samsung charges $220 for an S8+ screen replacement, so Apple's screen repair cost is reasonable. The $550 to replace the back glass is absolutely ridiculous though (Samsung charges $70+).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Burn in is sadly the reality of OLED. It takes time to show up, but it happens to all OLED display.

You can be sure at 100%, with the current tech, if yo have a OLED computer monitor, expect the start menu to be nicely burn in on your screen. It ducks, as much as OLED is awesome, that its major draw back. There is not a single phone without this issue, unless the phone doesn't have an screen buttons, and the user is active on the phone to avoid static image for extended period of time.

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

Burn in is sadly the reality of OLED. It takes time to show up, but it happens to all OLED display.

You can be sure at 100%, with the current tech, if yo have a OLED computer monitor, expect the start menu to be nicely burn in on your screen. It ducks, as much as OLED is awesome, that its major draw back. There is not a single phone without this issue, unless the phone doesn't have an screen buttons, and the user is active on the phone to avoid static image for extended period of time.

According to a couple reviews I've read, the iPhone X gets brighter than the Note 8, and iOS's very light UI do potentially make the issue at least slightly worse (potentially anyway). 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

And that’s why I will never use an OLED panel for gaming.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

36 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

They shouldn't of needed to release a statement, it's OLED that's what happens. This is probably though the first massive mainstream product to use it. I know a ton of smart watches and fitness trackers use it, but not a lot of people know that, and I know Android phones have had them for a while, but most people who have them are familiar with OLED, and OLED TVs aren't widespread enough. This is an iPhone this is the first massive product that features the technology.

S1, 2, 3,4,5,6,7,&8  Note 1, 2, 3,4,5,7,8  Were not Massive Products?  The S4 alone sold 80 million units 

2 minutes ago, michaelocarroll007 said:

S1, 2, 3,4,5,6,7,&8  Note 1, 2, 3,4,5,7,8  Were not Massive Products?  The S4 alone sold 80 million units 

Problem is none of em are apple and generally people stick with a single company, meaning apple users have never experienced OLED displays before thus may not know about the burn in issues. 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

I am interested in how the panel industry is going to solve this issue long term. 

Reasons like this this will make LCD improvements like Quantim.Dot seem more attractive. 

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

36 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Problem is none of em are apple and generally people stick with a single company, meaning apple users have never experienced OLED displays before thus may not know about the burn in issues. 

That's not what he was commenting on. He was referring to this bit: 

1 hour ago, Max_Settings said:

This is probably though the first massive mainstream product to use it.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

23 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

I am interested in how the panel industry is going to solve this issue long term. 

Reasons like this this will make LCD improvements like Quantim.Dot seem more attractive. 

I still have a soft spot for OLED even if burn in seemingly is becoming an issue.

I haven't noticed it on my S6 and I'm hoping I don't experience it on my S8+.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

44 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

True, people do tend to stick with what they know best. Literally the only reason I got my S8+ was because it was on sale where they took $300 off the price tag so now my S8+ will end up costing $516 on a 24 month installment plan.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

burn in isn't much of an issue these days unless it's a display unit, or a really crap panel.

Intel i5-6600K@4.2GHz, 16GB Crucial DDR4-2133, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, Be quiet shadow rock slim, Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ OC, Fractal design Integra M 550W, NZXT S340, Sandisk X110 128GB, WD black 750GB, Seagate momentus 160GB, HGST 160GB