Let’s Talk About How Much Of A Rip-Off Micro Center Is

What do you guys think? In my opinion micro centers “a la carte” pc parts are a total ripoff! 

I've never had an issue. If something was too expensive, I just price match it.

Not at all. They are extremely overpriced compared to Newegg or Amazon 

Micro Center cuts CPU prices as a way to get people in the door and then makes money on everything else they sell to you when your in there. Nothing wrong with that at all in my opinion, they can mark prices as whatever they want the same as I can shop wherever I want. 

I don't agree at all. They will price match the big sites also. Plus a store experience.

Their CPU prices are the best around.

Just now, aidenbindokas said:

Oh thank you @Legendarypoet I actually didn’t realize they could price match! 

Yep. Newegg prices within driving distance is why I go there. Not to mention the CPU+Mobo prices always has them out on top.

Even when people freaked out over 8700K prices being $499... you just price match it.

As someone who lives in a foreign land looking at their website, they are cheap. But everything is expensive here. 

i find it is worth it to spend a little more in some cases to get everything from amazon because of their fast free shipping and great return policy. i had a defective mobo that fried my cpu and ram and amazon replaced all of it no questions asked. thats what i call customer service, no pesky rmd

lolwat

I pretty much only managed to build my PC because of them

my X99 board was 117 open box after a 50 dollar rebate, and the 5820k went down to 290

plus, my monitor, the S2716DG, was bought for 330 open box, and my 980ti 330 open box.

so they're fantastic imo

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

21 minutes ago, aidenbindokas said:

They are extremely overpriced compared to Newegg or Amazon

I've yet to see any other retailer as inexpensive as Microcenter as a whole. Individual items, Microcenter might not always be the lowest priced.

Whereas Amazon has always had the highest prices for anything I've ever wanted. Newegg is hit or miss on pricing.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Micro Center serves coffee, but no whiskey. That makes them a rip-off in my eyes. 

Just kidding, I love Micro Center to the point that I'll make a six hour drive to GA to get parts and that brick-and-mortar experience that's lacking these days. 

Though, serving whiskey and steak would get me in more often. @Rune

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

The hell? I've found some amazing deals at Micro Center...

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

Microcenter is great. 

Idk what the fuck OP is on about.

CPU || Ryzen 2700x @ 4.3ghz  Motherboard || ROG Strix B450F  RAM || 16GB TridentZ 3600 B-Die  GPU || ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti  Case || Thermaltake V71 RGB  Storage || Intel 760p 240GB + Intel 535 480GB SSD + 1TB WD 7200RPM HDD  PSU || Corsair HX850i  Cooling || Corsair H110i GTX  Keyboard || Corsair K70  Mouse || Logitech G502 Proteus  Sound || Bose Companion 5  Operating System || Windows 10 Pro

Coffee Lake prices being above msrp shouldn't surprise any one....

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Never really had problems with their prices as often they were within $10 of anything I could find online and when it was higher they usually price match with little fuss. Also doing returns through them is far easier then calling anyone. The only thing they don't have is a wide selection but that's what newegg is for.

"The Codex Electronica does not support this overclock."

7 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

Coffee Lake prices being above msrp shouldn't surprise any one....

Well when you have a retailer where people are constantly singing praises about that also can't resist the temptation to upmarket prices, then that kind of hurts that reputation they've built.

However, I'm not really convinced they're any cheaper than anywhere else if you don't care for the bundles they come up with.

3 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Well when you have a retailer where people are constantly singing praises about that also can't resist the temptation to upmarket prices, then that kind of hurts that reputation they've built.

However, I'm not really convinced they're any cheaper than anywhere else if you don't care for the bundles they come up with.

Ehh, quite hard to beat a brick and mortar store (one of the few left) when a part decided to flop over and die, like let's say, a HDD, and you want to replace it ASAP.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

1 hour ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Ehh, quite hard to beat a brick and mortar store (one of the few left) when a part decided to flop over and die, like let's say, a HDD, and you want to replace it ASAP.

Yeah, there is the "I can get it now factor"... But Microcenter isn't anything special to me considering where I live.

On 10/15/2017 at 7:56 PM, ARikozuM said:

Though, serving whiskey and steak would get me in more often. @Rune

Hey, we actually do serve coffee at my store. Whiskey might take a bit to convince management of :P

On 10/16/2017 at 9:56 PM, M.Yurizaki said:

Yeah, there is the "I can get it now factor"... But Microcenter isn't anything special to me considering where I live.

With this guy?

3 hours ago, Rune said:

Hey, we actually do serve coffee at my store.

What blends? What creamers do you have for the horrible blends?

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.