Intel renames their Kaby Lake Pentiums

NumLock21
5 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

They already make boards for that market, it just lacks RAM, I don't know if they've made any from this generation though.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157497

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Just now, Streetguru said:

They already make boards for that market, it just lacks RAM, I don't know if they've made any from this generation though.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157497

It uses the Celeron J1900 chip, which is basically the top-end Atom processor (well there's an oxymoron if I ever heard one). And it's no where near the performance of say a Pentium G4560 (see https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Pentium+G4560+%40+3.50GHz  vs. https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Celeron+J1900+%40+1.99GHz)

1 hour ago, Streetguru said:

But it's 2017.

because it's cheap , people will buy it at that price . 

What's more , you need to find some way of selling those bottom-of-the-barrel chips , right?

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

2 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Right, so they should throw the dual cores that don't really need to exist anymore into that market and actually sell a good amount of them. Though I suppose a lot still go to OEM systems. There's also no reason they can't offer an overclocking dual core like the G3258 if that were the case, and allow for OCing on lower end boards for it. Aside from wanting to milk customers of course.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

1 hour ago, DildorTheDecent said:

Right lads lets not freak out too much. 

You're not buying this anyway. Stop pretending to care pls. 

The rise of the professional victim.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

5 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Right, so they should throw the dual cores that don't really need to exist anymore into that market and actually sell a good amount of them. Though I suppose a lot still go to OEM systems. There's also no reason they can't offer an overclocking dual core like the G3258 if that were the case, and allowing OCing on lower end boards for it. Aside from wanting to milk customers of course.

Because mom and pop shops will OC the chip then try to sell it off as a better model. The average consumer doesn't know how to verify which CPU they have so they'll believe it. This is also why unlocked multipliers existed only on higher end models. Plus running out of spec is bound to cause issues sooner or later.

You can argue this all day, but the fact remains there will always be a bottom tier available and the fact it exists means there's a market for it.

3 hours ago, Abyss Gaming said:

Nope. AMD Ruby. Get it. Cause. Its red.

I'll show myself the door now.

Cuz Ruby is associated with gpus and a hawt Radeon ati ruby

I'll see myself out as well...

The Vinyl Decal guy.

Celestial-Uprising  A Work In-Progress

4 hours ago, Streetguru said:

Why they make anything lower than 2c/4th is beyond me.

Because not all chips are good / stable enough at the factory to do 4c/4t, so a CPU manufacturer may decide to laser/cut off defective cores and sell them as 2c/4t (or 2c/2t).

It's much more economical (they can at least recover costs, albeit with a lower profit margin) than throwing the entire thing into the garbage (and treating the entire thing as a write-off)..... which is something investors like xD.

14 minutes ago, thorhammerz said:

Because not all chips are good / stable enough at the factory to do 4c/4t, so a CPU manufacturer may decide to laser/cut off defective cores and sell them as 2c/4t (or 2c/2t).

It's much more economical (they can at least recover costs, albeit with a lower profit margin) than throwing the entire thing into the garbage (and treating the entire thing as a write-off)..... which is something investors like xD.

The i5s are cut down i7s, the i3s are made to be i3s, and then it's cut down from there.

I'm just saying dual cores have no place on the desktop market. A forum member from here made the mistake of buying a 2c/2t chip, and now he's basically screwed.

Spoiler

I'm just saying dual cores have no place on the desktop market. A forum member from here made the mistake of buying a 2c/2t chip, and now he's basically screwed.

Oh, I do not dispute that they are useless from an informed consumer's perspective  from many consumer's perspectives.

However, looking at it from the manufacturer's perspective, it is still a viable business decision (allowing the uninformed customers to purchase chips they otherwise would not sell and completely write off.... money is money).

Even if they sell only 25% (arbitrary number pulled from ass) of those otherwise useless cut-down-from-i3s 2c/2t chips, that's still 25% less chips they'd otherwise have to write off.

4 hours ago, Coaxialgamer said:

that's not actually that inconceivable. For many mainstream users , the pentium brand still resonates as high end .  

Really, fuck the Pentium 4 for trashing the Pentium name (I really love my Pentium M770 and 2x PIII 1000).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

28 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Really, fuck the Pentium 4 for trashing the Pentium name (I really love my Pentium M770 and 2x PIII 1000).

Banias 4 lyfe (and dothan) 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

43 minutes ago, thorhammerz said:

Oh, I do not dispute that they are useless from an informed consumer's perspective.

That's still not accurate. Not everyone needs more power, there are plenty of people who simply don't, but they may need a new computer. So if someone needs a new computer, and they wouldn't benefit at all from a quad core over a dual core, then a quad core based system is just a waste of money. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

just saying dual cores have no place on the desktop market. A forum member from here made the mistake of buying a 2c/2t chip, and now he's basically screwed.

Thin clients, like basic HTPCs, don't benefit from anything more than 2c/2t.

If it weren't for the fact that my "HT"PC is first and foremost a light gaming rig and primarily for emulation, it'd be a 2c/2t box running a light Linux distro and Kodi.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

I don't actually mind this personally since current gen pentiums = skylake i3

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

yeah but rather have at minimum 4c/4t  maybe pentium platinum for 30$ more ? haha

I guess there will be no more insider jokes

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

1 hour ago, Loot said:

yeah but rather have at minimum 4c/4t  maybe pentium platinum for 30$ more ? haha

If I only needed the power of a 2 cores (now and in the forseeable future), then I'd rather save the $30. That's especially true for any business/bulk purchase.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Pentium... gold? How tacky...

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Names for the rest of their cpus leaked!

Core i3 Bronze

Core i5 Tin

Core i7 Gypsum

Core i9 Charcoal

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

On 10/4/2017 at 12:15 PM, Moress said:

Unless you're a moron who would buy a pentium over something else because "Oh it says GOLD is must be good!" then the changing in the names really doesn't matter at all.

You over estimate the mass sheople. Have you ever taken an Intel retail edge course? They market the shit out of everything.

Pentium Gold: Get the most out of Ultra Megatasking.

People Eat that shit right up.