Should you eat at your workspace?

IAmAndre

Should you eat at your workspace?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Should you eat at your workspace?

I'm currently eating snacks while working, not because I'm particularly hungry, but because I need dopamine to be productive, and chocolate helps me raise my dopamine levels. I watched HardwareCannucks last video a few days ago in which they said that you should avoid doing it, and DImity said he only takes drinks. Some other people say that you should never have drink near your PC or any hardware in case it spills. Some people avoid eating because the smells can attract bugs, which might ruin your components. I personally eat and drink, and manage to clean my desk after. So I'm curious to know your thoughts about it.

If you're not sloppy and clean your setup regularly, you are fine.

It seems like a big exaggeration that you will get bugs in your components if you eat at your setup. 

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 hour ago, IAmAndre said:

I'm currently eating snacks while working, not because I'm particularly hungry, but because I need dopamine to be productive, and chocolate helps me raise my dopamine levels. I watched HardwareCannucks last video a few days ago in which they said that you should avoid doing it, and DImity said he only takes drinks. Some other people say that you should never have drink near your PC or any hardware in case it spills. Some people avoid eating because the smells can attract bugs, which might ruin your components. I personally eat and drink, and manage to clean my desk after. So I'm curious to know your thoughts about it.

I saw that HC video too, what Dimitry said was you shouldn't eat at your PC because it will turn into a habit and you'll eat while doing something else. You won't appreciate your meal as much and you'll automatically eat more than you need to. So he meant it more as a health advice.

I don't care though, I'll eat anything at my PC, just don't touch your peripherals with dorito fingers and be careful not to spill anything. Also wipe down your keyboard, mouse and possibly desk when you're done eating. As long as you're able to clean up after yourself and aren't too clumsy it's fine.

i live in a small apartment with a few friends. in my room i have a bed, my desk and a dining room table. i do all my eating at my desk because its more convenient. that and the table has warhammer 40k stuff on it a lot of the time :P 

Main Rig | Personal Build | Windows 10 | R7 2700x 3.7~4.3ghz | ASUS ROG Strix B450-I | 16gb DDR4 3200mhz | GTX 1080 FE | Coolermaster Elite 130 | Corsair H60 | WD Blue SN500 500GB NVMe SSD + 1tb WD Green HDD + 1tb WD Blue HDD

Laptop | HP m6-w102dx | Windows 10 | i7-5500u 2.4~3.0ghz | 8gb DDR3L | GT 930m 2gb| 120gb Sandisk SSD

Phone | Pixel 3 | Verizon | 64gb

Just now, Minibois said:

If you're not sloppy and clean your setup regularly, you are fine.

It seems like a big exaggeration that you will get bugs in your components if you eat at your setup. 

I saw a cockroach on my keyboard last day, which made me think twice. Gross !

Just now, chilicheeseburger said:

just don't touch your peripherals with dorito fingers and be careful not to spill anything. Also wipe down your keyboard, mouse and possibly desk when you're done eating. As long as you're able to clean up after yourself and aren't too clumsy it's fine.

I have that washable Logitech keyboard, that helps :)

2 minutes ago, IAmAndre said:

1 minute ago, IAmAndre said:

I have that washable Logitech keyboard, that helps :)

Did you wash off the cockroach?

Seriously though if you have cockroaches at your place the cause of that is probably something else. Don't think the cockroaches care where you take your meals.

3 hours ago, IAmAndre said:

Well than you need to  clean your place up a lot more often

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I drink shakes bi-weekly at my desk.

3600X @ stocke | 5600XT TUF OC @ 1850 | 2x16 + 2x8 RAM 3200 HD | 1tb Samsung 970 EVO Plus | Lian Li 205M | TT Toughpower Grand RGB 850 | throwaway b450 asus mobo | BQ cooler

I never spilled a drink in my entire life over my hardware. The only hardware I destroyed was due to my own stupidity, more precise lack of knowledge.

I really would like to eat some fruits but my library does not allow any food:(

I drink coffee at my PC. I don't really eat at my PC though, and due to work rules, eating in the work space isn't allowed.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

If spilling a drink on to your PC is a legitimate concern, then you need to rearrange your workspace.  Also, have even a slight amount of environment awareness and don't knock over drinks accidentally.  Problem solved.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

My workspace kinda requires me to eat at it since I do video monitoring. The best thing to do is have a separate table around that is just dedicated to eating that gets cleaned every day. 

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

3 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

I drink coffee at my PC. I don't really eat at my PC though, and due to work rules, eating in the work space isn't allowed.

I'd personally not eat if I was working in an open space or something.

3 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

If spilling a drink on to your PC is a legitimate concern, then you need to rearrange your workspace.  Also, have even a slight amount of environment awareness and don't knock over drinks accidentally.  Problem solved.

Or buy waterproof peripherals. You never know when your cat wants to jump on the table or something.

If we're specifically talking about work, it depends on your boss. If they are fine with it, all good. If not I wouldn't argue the point

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

I both eat and drink at my desk. My pc is on the top of it and the feet rase it 1-2 inches off the ground so I don't worry about spills. I also have a large mouse pad that can be washed if it gets dirty. 

Thinking about it I am going to go make my self some mint tea. I made some lovely tea.

Edited by GDRRiley
added

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

You'll be fine, just don't spill anything.

Side note, don't use your laptop as a food tray.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

3 hours ago, IAmAndre said:

You never know when your cat wants to jump on the table or something.

I never let my dog food on the table.

11 minutes ago, TheKDub said:

just don't spill anything.

Spill everything.

7 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

If spilling a drink on to your PC is a legitimate concern, then you need to rearrange your workspace.

What if your work place is currently a small folding table that's barely large enough for a Surface Pro?

Don't mind the fact that I have a large desk 3 feet away.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

As long as the food isn't messy (Cheetos), I have no problems with eating at my desk.  As far as drinks are concerned, I have them on the floor next to my desk, cant ruin anything if it spills there.

16 hours ago, IAmAndre said:

So I'm curious to know your thoughts about it.

It depends on what kind of workspace. Usually, companies have pantries for employees to eat, warm their food with a microwave oven or prepare coffee.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

1 hour ago, Cinnabar Sonar said:

As long as the food isn't messy (Cheetos), I have no problems with eating at my desk.  As far as drinks are concerned, I have them on the floor next to my desk, cant ruin anything if it spills there.

Power cables?

1 hour ago, hey_yo_ said:

It depends on what kind of workspace. Usually, companies have pantries for employees to eat, warm their food with a microwave oven or prepare coffee.

Yes, and when you work from home like me, you even have a dining room :)