Coffee Lake has a reason not to run on Z270

Suika
12 hours ago, GDRRiley said:

it is sort of a re-post but with new sources. I am more mad that z170 doesn't work as it means if I want a 6 core got to change cpu+mobo (while mine is not great it handles my OCed i5 fine.)

Well that's largely to be expected. Z170 was designed sometime between 2014-2015.

Yeah it would've been amazing for Z170 and Z270 boards to be able to drop in a Z370 chip like that 6c/12t i7 8700K

but honestly I feel because Intel did this, they're going to be banking heavily on people still seeing value in stronger single threaded tasks.

Personally for me if I were between Coffee Lake or Ryzen, I would go with Ryzen because X370 and AM4 they promised support to 2020. They're going to make Zen 2 support X370 boards. 

Now I'm sure X570 (if that is what they call it when we get to Zen 2) will have loads of features and better support for Zen 2 but if it works, and works well enough on X370 why not allow it to be on X370? That's how I feel about Coffee Lake, If it works on Z170 and Z270, why not just let it work but make it very clear that Z370 boards could greatly improve the performance of your Coffee Lake CPU. But I guess I get Intel's reasons, I don't agree with them. But that's Intel's choice, but it's also my choice to not continue buying Intel products. I'm not boycotting them and I wouldn't rule out an Intel chip if I was looking for a new CPU, I mean I'll buy a 6600K or 7600K for my Z170 board and make it like a HTPC. Basically I get what I get because I see something in it that I want. Of course I'll ask for second opinions just so that if anyone has any experience with it that then I can tweak my expectations of it or decide to look for something else.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

What's ironic is that the whole reason Intel incremented to "Z370" was to get people to stawp asking "is Kaby Lake compatible with it" despite it physically being the same chipset as Z270.  No idea why people would think CFL would drop in to Z270.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

13 hours ago, Suika said:

Maybe, but there's no guarantee that every Z170/270 board would have worked with Coffee Lake, and it'd add a whole mess of confusion on the consumer side. There are some really shitty, lowend Z170/270 boards out there that probably don't even account for overclocking, let alone throwing in two more cores.

Kind of reminds me about the AMD 9590 chips issues.  People trying to smack a chip that draws some serious watts on boards that just could not support the draw.  I can understand Intel trying to avoid a similar situation.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

5 hours ago, GDRRiley said:

hey I said I wanted to put CL in Z170. I want it so  I can upgrade down the line when my i5 is not doing so welll

But did you buy the i5 with intentions to upgrade to CL?  Because in most scenarios that is still a gamble on 1. future compatability/features and 2. performance improvement for the dollar.   

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

On 9/29/2017 at 5:37 AM, AlwaysFSX said:

9590 melting motherboards.

Also have you seen most boards pre-AM4? Terrible. 

Maybe some, but not all.  I've had several AM2/3 (including +) boards over the years and they were very good quality.  Like most anything, it just depends on if you're willing to spend a little more.  Socket 939 on the other hand, I had numerous issues with blown caps (especially on the Gigabyte NForce chipset boards).  Then again, a lot of boards in that era had capacitor issues.

21 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

A three year old motherboard should not be required to hold tech from generations down the line, that's how you hold products back a la AM3 and soon AM4.

If the engineers planned ahead, then there shouldn't be much of anything holding it back, save for some unforeseen advancements in technology.

On 9/29/2017 at 5:37 AM, mr moose said:

Surprised that hasn't come up in my feed/recommendations with all the **** I type into google.

I found that same video by searching on Youtube for 'explanation of TDP' (I was curious if anyone else had posted a video on the topic).  I was about to post it in a response to you, but @VegetableStu beat me to it.  Science Studio also had a video he had posted, but I haven't watched it yet.

On 9/29/2017 at 1:32 PM, mr moose said:

But did you buy the i5 with intentions to upgrade to CL?  Because in most scenarios that is still a gamble on 1. future compatability/features and 2. performance improvement for the dollar.   

I bought it with the intention of going on to kaby or coffee lake in a few years

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

On 9/29/2017 at 2:31 PM, Misanthrope said:

I mean it sounds plausible but given intel's track record,

Image result for i don't believe you gif

Agreed.

Kinda shitty to keep the same socket and just disable older CPU's and vice versa. Either support the platform or flatout admit you want people to fork over a ridiculous amount of money every year.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Not related, but I experienced deja vu while opening this thread.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler