End Of The Line For AMD FX Processors. (UPDATE)

but..but..my fx 8320... :(

AMD FX 8320@ Stock - Asus M5A99X Evo R2.0 - Kingston HyperX 8GB 1600Mhz - Corsair Carbide 200R - Powercolor Radeon HD 7950 PCS+OC@970Mhz core 1400Mhz memory - Corsair CS650W - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 
LG 22EA53VQ 21.5" - CM Storm Xornet - CM Storm Quickfire TK - Creative Inspire T3130 2.1

@Dylan522p

Lol I mean an a10 apu with more cores = a12 I don't mean arm cores

Sent from my HTC Butterfly using Tapatalk

I'm hoping that they are still secretly working on a new FX chip and a month before release they just tell everyone. It would be awesome and take everyone by surprise. :)

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

I'm hoping that they are still secretly working on a new FX chip and a month before release they just tell everyone. It would be awesome and take everyone by surprise. :)

it be awesome that they bring to FM2 a new FX or a Phenom III x12  :D

I gave up on AMD CPUs after my Phenom 2. My Athlon 64 back in 2004 was the best processor I ever owned. Loved it.

:ph34r:

What If they release phenom iii? O:

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Source? I know Skylake will support DDR4 but never heard anything about Broadwell doing so. I may be wrong though.

Once again, you're underestimating technology. I don't see anything wrong with someone owning a 3770K, 8350, GTX 680 or any other pieces of reasonably high end hardware from 2012 (Assuming we're in 2014). Honestly, not everyone has the money to upgrade every single cycle.

Im not seeimg why you would want to upgrade every single cycle? The only reason I upgraded from a 3820 to a 4930k was because I originally wanted a 6 core but didnt have the money and my board supported it. Heck the 2nd gen high end core 2 quads are just now really showing their age. Also for about a month a was stuck on a Phenom II x4 965 with a 460 and everything was fine and dandy. If I had to I could have continued ro use it and the two 1280x1024 monitors I had setup on it.

I dont think their investors would appreciate that...

The scary part about this roadmap is not the lack of new fx CPUs.

Rather It's fact that the upcoming APUs even as far forward as 2015 are still projected to be lower performance parts than piledriver fx CPUs. The roadmap shows that AMD is going to continue to sell an architecture released in 2012 all the way into 2015, and not just sell it but it will continue to be their premium performance part. Just ridiculous...

My post isn't biased, well not according to the people that have been commenting on it.

Ahahaha you can't be serious. It is ridiculously biased. Just look at the "what about games" section. You cherry picked those two benchmarks like crazy. Sadly it seems like the post where I pointed that out in has been removed (am I being censored for telling the truth in your thread, or maybe I am getting it mixed up with some other thread where people cherry picked benchmarks?). There were like 20 gaming benchmarks on that site that showed Intel winning, and two that showed AMD winning, and you ONLY showed the two where AMD wins. You even admitted that you cherry picked them to "illustrate either a weakness or a strong point of the architecture" (funny thing that you pretty much only cherry picked stuff to illustrate the strong point of the AMD architecture). It's called cherry picking, or "fallacy of incomplete evidence". Not telling the whole truth is as bad as lying, and that's exactly what you are doing in that post.

And I do believe you are referring to the microOP cache that cuts the misprediction penalty by 3 cycles.

I think you are thinking of the same thing but that's not all it does. With the µOP cache the fetch unit can sometimes completely be powered off if it detects that the macro-ops it is going to fetch is already in the cache. That saves a ton of power and also cuts down the pipeline by several stages (which increases performance in integer calculations among other things).

AMD's & Intel's microOPs are quite different, they're not comparable in fact : http://www.realworldtech.com/bulldozer/5/ .

Thank you for agreeing with me. My point was that you are ignoring a ton of stuff in your other post and basically only goes "Intel are good at floatpoints and AMD are good at integers" which in some cases might be true but it is far more complex than that. Your link just further proves that there are more to CPUs that what your post makes it out to be.

The main reason Intel CPUs consume less power is because of the smaller die size as a result of the smaller manufacturing process that is a fact.

Certainly cutting the branch misprediction penalty does improve efficiency by improving performance but does not result in a lower power consumption on its own.

1) It's not just die size that makes Intel CPUs far less power hungry. You are completely ignoring a ton of things such as race-to-idle, leakage and the fact that AMD CPUs runs at a much higher frequency (and yes, higher frequency does mean higher power consumption). Die size is not the reason why Intel CPUs uses less power. Want proof? OK, let's compare the i7-8320 vs the FX-8350. Both have a die size of about 300mm2 (294 and 315 respectively), both uses 32nm transistors and the amount of transistors are fairly similar as well (1.27B and 1.2B respectively). Neither one has a GPU that is powered down in these tests by the way, so there is no die are wasted.

So as you can see they are very, very similar in all of those regards.

i7-3820 = 184 watts

FX-8350 = 239 watts

A 30% difference even though they are very similar.

Anandtech's tests shows a similar story (please note that it's not the same version of x264 being used, and one is for the first pass and the other one is the second pass. Please note that the i5-2500K uses less power in the old version so it's pretty safe to say that if he tested the 3820 in the new test it would use even less power).

i7-3820 = 158.6 watts

FX-8350 = 195.2 watts

Die size is not an indicator of how much power something uses.

Yes, improving branch prediction does improve power consumption, as well as performance. Not having to flush the cache and start over means less wasted cycles, and that directly translates to less power used and higher performance.

You also need to realize that intel's AVX (& AVX2) instruction set is a flaoting point instruction set, and in fact the upcoming AVX-512 instruction set is going to be used in Intel's Knight's Landing architecture a sucessor to the current line of many core Xeon Phi, essentially a GPU.

So Intel is actually off-loading its floating point work to the GPU which is exactly what AMD has already done with Kaveri.

The APU and heterogeneous architectures are the future, AMD is leading it and Intel is saliently admitting it.

Not sure if that's just something you added to defend AMD, or if that was suppose to be a counter argument to my "you also have to take into consideration different instructions sets". Knight's Landing is NOT a GPU. Yes they will use AVX-512 for Knight's Landing. So what's your point? AVX-512 is not just about float points (it can also be used for integer operations) and it's not specific to GPUs (it is actually a CPU introduction set which will come to Xeon processors in the future). So I don't really get why you brought it up at all.

Again, I've already said that APUs might be the future, but they are not the present. In the perfect world we would be able to hardware accelerate almost all tasks, but we have a very long way to go on the software side. Even if we were already there, you could still get higher performance from having a really good dedicated CPU and a really good dedicated GPU, compared to having a gimped CPU and a gimped GPU on the same chip.

By the way, have you seen Iris and Iris Pro?? They perform better than the highest end AMD APU (even on the graphics side) so yeah, AMD is leading in terms of APU but basically only because Intel isn't really trying. When Intel gets serious they can outperform AMD even in iGPU performance.

I don't see why people are disappointed. Many of Intel's highest end chips are crappy "APUs" with the cpu part being glorious and the graphics part being complete shit. If AMD improves the CPU performance of their APUs in their future to be better than their best FX chips, things are going to be great. Stop being all doom and gloom. It's going to be a rocky road, but I refuse to believe AMD is just laying down, they probably have something in mind they are saving for later.

Many sources says the broadwell platform will have ddr4.It should be true because the problem is that broadwell is not compatible with Haswell nor Haswell refresh.Thus by needing to redesign things,they may as well put ddr4 in which is by then more affordable.

What I had heard, is that Haswell-E will have DDR4, and Skylake would have DDR4. Broadwell, being the Haswell refresh, would not support DDR4.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Well considering they have significantly improved performance in single core applications. As long as they can keep the multi-core performance even slightly similar to the fx series (hey if they're limited to 4 cores, they might even improve it slightly). They're still in the game.

My Build

GPU: MSI GTX 1080 ARMOUR | CPU: i7 9700k | Ram: 16gb 3200mhz Motherboard: ASUS Maximus XI Gene | Storage: 2x 1TB NVME 1x 500GB NVME 1x 120GB NVME | Case: Corsair 570X

Guess Intel will be giving us even smaller increases in CPU now because they'll basically own the market now...

Even smaller? Then like 0,5% increases max? :o

i5 4670k - MSI GTX 770 gaming - Fractal design define R4 (windowed) - MSI Z87-G45 gaming - be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2 - Corsair vengeance 8 gb (lp) - WB black 1tb - 256GB SSD - Corsair TX 750M - Ducky Shine 3

I think that all AMD needs to do is to make an APU as large or slightly larger than the X79 platform CPU's from intel. This will give them the space they need on the die to create an amazing CPU GPU combo.

Case:NZXT Tempest 410 MOBO:Gigabyte 990fx UD3 CPU:FX 8320 @ 4.5ghz CPU-Cooler:NZXT Havik 140 GPU:MSI 7790 @ 1200mhz RAM:Patriot Viper 3 HDD:WD 1tb SSD:Kingston V300 PSU:RM750 

#KilledMyWife  

It might be the end for FX CPUs, but I highly doubt AMD is done with high performance desktop CPUs. Besides, if I remember correctly, they said they were done with that in like 2011 or something when Bulldozer was a disappointment, yet they continued and gave us Piledriver FX. 

AMD, I believe in you. Gief cheap 12 core CPU please. I like cores. :3

i also want a dual cpu motherboard support (for my 24 cores)  :ph34r:

What I had heard, is that Haswell-E will have DDR4, and Skylake would have DDR4. Broadwell, being the Haswell refresh, would not support DDR4.

Haswell refresh is not broadwell,and broadwell is incompatible with haswell.

I don't see why people are disappointed. Many of Intel's highest end chips are crappy "APUs" with the cpu part being glorious and the graphics part being complete shit. If AMD improves the CPU performance of their APUs in their future to be better than their best FX chips, things are going to be great. Stop being all doom and gloom.

the problem is that the roadmap shows APUs continuing to be low performance parts. According to the roadmap even in 2015 the new APUs will be slower than current fx piledriver- which is very sad.

Im not seeimg why you would want to upgrade every single cycle? The only reason I upgraded from a 3820 to a 4930k was because I originally wanted a 6 core but didnt have the money and my board supported it. Heck the 2nd gen high end core 2 quads are just now really showing their age. Also for about a month a was stuck on a Phenom II x4 965 with a 460 and everything was fine and dandy. If I had to I could have continued ro use it and the two 1280x1024 monitors I had setup on it.

exactly!

THE BEAST Motherboard: MSI B350 Tomahawk   CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700   GPU: Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC  RAM: 16GB G.Skill FlareX DDR4   

PSU: Corsair CX650M     Case: Corsair 200R    SSD: Kingston 240GB SSD Plus   HDD: 1TB WD Green Drive and Seagate Barracuda 2TB Media Drive

AMD has not had a new CPU since 2012

Wrong. FX 9590 is from 2013

PC: 5600x @ 4.85GHz // RTX 3080 Eagle OC // 16GB Trident Z Neo  // Corsair RM750X // MSI B550M Mortar Wi-Fi // Noctua NH-D15S // Cooler Master NR400 // Samsung 50QN90A // Logitech G305 // Corsair K65 // Corsair Virtuoso //

Ha I knew it!

And now I will go cry myself to sleep.

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

WHYYYY ???

ichzbgr_zpsd248d984.gif

AMD FX-8350 // ASUS Radeon R9 280X Matrix // ASUS M5A97 Pro // Corsair Vengance 8GB 1600MHz // Corsair RM850 PSU //  WD Green 2TB // Corsair H60 // Cooler Master Elite 430 // KBParadise V60 MX Blue // Logitech G602 // Sennheiser HD 598 + Focusrrrrite 2i2 + MXL V67 // Samsung SyncMaster 245BW 1920x1200 // #killedmywife  #afterdark  #makebombs #Twerkit      "it touches my junk"   linus 2014

Wrong. FX 9590 is from 2013

Its not really "new"

This doesn't necessarily mean the end of eight core processors just the end of fx cpus.  It is still possible that AMD will make 8 core apus.

FX 8320@4.1Ghz, Noctua NH-D14, MSI 7870@1050Mhz, 8 GB 1600 MHz, M5A97 LE R2.0, NZXT H440, CX500M

Your rights matter because you never know when you are going to need them.

-Edward Snowden

This doesn't necessarily mean the end of eight core processors just the end of fx cpus.  It is still possible that AMD will make 8 core apus.

i just imagined 8 even weaker lower clocked cores is that bad?