End Of The Line For AMD FX Processors. (UPDATE)

But 2011 has been stated to be a pure i7 platform. Does this mean that the next i5 will be introduced on another socket?

EDIT: Sorry, I meant 1150. I was thinking of getting the 4670K, but my question still stands.

There is no upgrade path for 1150 either, Broadwell requires a new set of motherboards, even though it's socket compatible it won't work on current boards due to a necessary electrical change on the upcoming 9 series boards.

im really happy they are moving to high end APUs

but... they arne't.

as a die hard amd fan I can say that the "high end" apu's will get shit on compared to intel offerings in a gaming platform.

While I am disappointed, this isn't necessarily bad news. AMD may just make a powerful CPU on fm2+ and pair it with a smaller, less powerful gpu. This doesn't mean it's the end of the line of performance AMD products.

Please also keep in mind that just a pure CPU die is old technology now. How long has it been since Intel has released a product without an igpu?

CPU Overclocking Database <------- Over 275 submissions, and over 40,000 views!                         

GPU Overclocking Database                                                    

Hoping on some badass APU now which I won't use for the graphics part.. meh

I should've bought intel because I bought a FX 6100 and 990FXA combo for the motherboard, so when steamroller came out for AM3+ I could upgrade. :(

CPU: AMD 3600 GPU: ASUS DUAL OC RX 6750 XT MOBO: Asus Prime X570-P RAM: 16GB XPG Gammix D10 3000Mhz

PSU: Gamdias Kratos P1 650w 80+ Gold OS:Windows 10 pro Case: 4U Rackmount  HDD/SSD:Seagate 8 TB/ Patriot Scorch m.2 512GB

You can't spell ignorant without IGN...-TheSLSAMG

I should've bought intel because I bought a FX 6100 and 990FXA combo for the motherboard, so when steamroller came out for AM3+ I could upgrade. :(

Same here.

This is happening for a long time now. The latest and fastest CPU AMD has can't even compete to an older Intel mid-end one. I mean, look at the 9590. That thing is a joke. Very sad anyway, we consumers lose with this. Before there wasn't a competing AMD CPU in terms of performance, TDP, etc etc etc, but now, we have even LESS affordable competing options, only the APUs. Pretty sad, indeed.

AMD has not had a new CPU since 2012

The 8350 is cheap today(170) if you need an upgrade, go overclock it to like 4.5Ghz. That's all you really need for gaming at this point in time ;)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113284

My 8350 is on the stock cooler and is at 4.4Ghz, it's doing just fine for me, and I play a lot of AAA titles :)

CPU Overclocking Database <------- Over 275 submissions, and over 40,000 views!                         

GPU Overclocking Database                                                    

I guess we all forgot the bit when they stated that the APU's WILL work together with a Mantle enabled dedicated GPU's.

I also think we may not have enough information about there path here. I assume there new APU's (2015) might well have the power of current day intels ( or maybe more) with a GPU  on the side. who knows! only AMD.

You also have to remember INTEL is a massive company compared to small AMD. Intel only make CPU's (and a few other random things) and they have ALOT of money to spend on there CPU's plus they make so much profit on each CPU now that they can spend more on research than AMD.

AMD on the other make GPU'S & CPU's with less budget and less money.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Why would people want to use a three year old motherboard? I don't care if Intel releases different CPUs that need new motherboards because the CPUs last atleast 3-4 YEARS!

Main System - 2016 13"nTB MBP 256GB

Gaming Rig - 4790K, 16GB RAM, 1080Ti
Monitor - Dell 25" U2515H

K/B & M - Ducky One TKL, Logitech MX Master & G900

Audio - JDS Labs The Element, Aktimate Mini B+, Krix Seismix 3 Mk6, Ultrasone Pro 900

I hope AMD are playing possum and have only a small group working on a kick arse CPU that know one but them know about.

I don't believe it until I hear it officially from AMD. Also, even then I don't think they will abandon the high end market. I think if they kill off FX processors they will turn their higher end APUs in to their performance line.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

I think what a lot of people don't realize is that AMD is in no way at all backing out of the high-end market. and I doubt they will bring out some 8-core APUs, simply because they have a genious plan (at least in my opinion)

What they are doing is: they are bringing back the co-processor. the co-processor, back in the day (I only heard of this, not seen myself) was a special processor used to calculate flops and similar things. the thing is, that Intel has been focusing on having as much flops perfomance as possible, while AMD has good integer performance compared to Intel. so AMDs CPUs are weak at calculating flops. BUT! GPUs are very good at calculating flops. so what AMD is doing, is using their introduced Heterogenous System Architecture (HSA) to make a new kind of CPU. err, the APU. according to what I've heard (I don't remember where I found it) they are gonna offload flops-heavy work to the iGPU, and the rest stays on the CPU. this is a brilliant way of doing it, but they are in no way the pioneers of it, it's an old concept, theyr'e just resurrecting it. 

and although intel are doing sort of the same thing with their Xeon Phi line which they call a co-procesor, those are usually found within the server market, and are quite expensive. when I first realized this, my love for AMD just went through the roof, and I was saying to myself, much glory, such amaze, wow. 

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

I think what a lot of people don't realize is that AMD is in no way at all backing out of the high-end market. and I doubt they will bring out some 8-core APUs, simply because they have a genious plan (at least in my opinion)

What they are doing is: they are bringing back the co-processor. the co-processor, back in the day (I only heard of this, not seen myself) was a special processor used to calculate flops and similar things. the thing is, that Intel has been focusing on having as much flops perfomance as possible, while AMD has good integer performance compared to Intel. so AMDs CPUs are weak at calculating flops. BUT! GPUs are very good at calculating flops. so what AMD is doing, is using their introduced Heterogenous System Architecture (HSA) to make a new kind of CPU. err, the APU. according to what I've heard (I don't remember where I found it) they are gonna offload flops-heavy work to the iGPU, and the rest stays on the CPU. this is a brilliant way of doing it, but they are in no way the pioneers of it, it's an old concept, theyr'e just resurrecting it. 

and although intel are doing sort of the same thing with their Xeon Phi line which they call a co-procesor, those are usually found within the server market, and are quite expensive. when I first realized this, my love for AMD just went through the roof, and I was saying to myself, much glory, such amaze, wow. 

This is where you "heard" it .

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48571-intel-amd-architectural-discussion-how-far-ahead-intel-really-is/

I had seen this coming and no competition is really bad!

Hopefully Intel will make equivalents, like an i6 with 8 cores, but every two cores shares Cache, and they make them <$150. 

My Build Log on PCPartPicker FX-6300, ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3, MSI 7870 GHz Edition, Corsair Vengeance LP 1x8GB, 1TB WD Blue, Fractal Core 1000 USB 3.0, Corsair CX600, and my most recent addition that I've had forever and isnt new is a 80GB WD800 for Linux, Lenovo ThinkPad X131e, ASUS Transformer TF300T, Galaxy Note 3 Sister dropped it in a puddle I now have to use a Samsung Brightside, Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm version, Blue Yeti  #TheRealKEH-JEFF | "Sometimes, if were lucky, in Australia, a family has 2 kangaroos to pick up the kids with" - marto | Your entry here | Remember kids; just because Linus has a video on it, doesn't mean that its the best choice | ts3.wferr.com the best TeamSpeak Abide by the CoC | Looking for build help? Read this before posting |

Hopefully Intel will make equivalents, like an i6 with 8 cores, but every two cores shares Cache, and they make them <$150. 

The L3 is already inclusive on Intel processors, they already share cache.

And with Broadwell Intel is actually cutting back the cache from 8MB to 6MB to allocate more space for the GPU.

So they're essentially sacrificing CPU performance to improve GPU performance.

The L3 is already inclusive on Intel processors, they already share cache.

And with Broadwell Intel is actually cutting back the cache from 8MB to 6MB to allocate more space for the GPU.

So they're essentially sacrificing CPU performance to improve GPU performance.

I was referring to how L1 and L2 is shared between cores in AMD's FX. As for less Cache... Looks like they might be competing the iGPU with the APU. That would be nice. I prefer Intel, but their budget options are terrible, which is why I have a 6300. C'mon Intel... We all know that i5 cost you less than 1/3 of what you sell it for... MAKE IT CHEAPER DAMMIT!

My Build Log on PCPartPicker FX-6300, ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3, MSI 7870 GHz Edition, Corsair Vengeance LP 1x8GB, 1TB WD Blue, Fractal Core 1000 USB 3.0, Corsair CX600, and my most recent addition that I've had forever and isnt new is a 80GB WD800 for Linux, Lenovo ThinkPad X131e, ASUS Transformer TF300T, Galaxy Note 3 Sister dropped it in a puddle I now have to use a Samsung Brightside, Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm version, Blue Yeti  #TheRealKEH-JEFF | "Sometimes, if were lucky, in Australia, a family has 2 kangaroos to pick up the kids with" - marto | Your entry here | Remember kids; just because Linus has a video on it, doesn't mean that its the best choice | ts3.wferr.com the best TeamSpeak Abide by the CoC | Looking for build help? Read this before posting |

I was referring to how L1 and L2 is shared between cores in AMD's FX. As for less Cache... Looks like they might be competing the iGPU with the APU. That would be nice. I prefer Intel, but their budget options are terrible, which is why I have a 6300. C'mon Intel... We all know that i5 cost you less than 1/3 of what you sell it for... MAKE IT CHEAPER DAMMIT!

As much as I would like for intel to cut prices they actually make lower margins on processors than Nvidia does on GPUs.

It would appear my brain and eyes are deceiving me, I didn't see the HSA section until now.. but I'm fairly sure I did hear it somewhere else as well. 

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

It would appear my brain and eyes are deceiving me, I didn't see the HSA section until now.. but I'm fairly sure I did hear it somewhere else as well. 

I should've said "probably" that's where you've probably read it, if not there then it must've been @Kuzma's thread.

I think this is going to be a really bad decision on there part, the FX series is amazing in my opinion along with alot of other AMD fans.

this isn't just bad for amd fans, i'm an intel fan (if there is such a thing, i'm more of a pc fan i just run an intel rig) this is just plain bad for people interested in computers. It means intel have a free reign over the market, and it will just remove the main reason that all of us are into PCs, the choice over everything we do.

AMD 8350 // 8 GB Corsair Ram // PNY 780 Ti // Asus 1080p Monitor // Antec 120mm AIO // CM Quickfire TK w/ Custom Caps  // RAT 5 mouse // Audio Technica m50x // Behringer 4-line + Line6 8-line Audio Interfaces

The title of this thread is misleading at best. This is not the end of FX. This is a graphic that details that FX will not be refreshed until at least the onset of excavator, if at all. The graphic was used in an internal memo to primarily highlight APUs between now and Carrizo more so than to make a statement about FX. In addition the roadmap, as stated by AMD, can be changed without notice at any given time. Such roadmaps have been changed in the past and may continue to do so. And so what if FX dies? Hear of Excavator?

AMD is not going to survive by catering to the enthusiast. They need to increase market share by increasing offerings of entry grade APUs. The FX flagship processors will hold their own until 2015 when Excavator is released. The Excavator architecture will be used as a stand alone processor in server, enthusiast, and APU grade solutions ala Piledriver architecture.

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.7Ghz when gaming | MSI 990FXA-GD80 v2 | Swiftech H220 | Sapphire Radeon HD 7950  +  XFX Radeon 7950 | 8 Gigs of Crucial Ballistix Tracers | 140 GB Raptor X | 1 TB WD Blue | 250 GB Samsung Pro SSD | 120 GB Samsung SSD | 750 Watt Antec HCG PSU | Corsair C70 Mil Green

I should've said "probably" that's where you've probably read it, if not there then it must've been @Kuzma's thread.

It was indeed in my APU thread that I mentioned HSA

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

AMD will not release any new FX CPUs in 2014 or 2015 a leaked roadmap shows. AMD heads towards an APU exclusive future as evidence mounts for the end of FX.

Rg9fKas.png

You can look at this in two ways, one way to look at it is that AMD is abandoning the high-end where most hardware enthusiasts spend their money and it's quite disappointing.

Another way to look at it as a sign of progress for AMD, they have finally achieved their goal of allowing the GPU to work with the CPU on a single chip, after all it's the reason they bought ATi back in 2007 and their goal from now on is to take advantage of that heterogeneous architecture to improve performance and reposition APUs as high performance enthusiast processors.

source

fyi AMD bought ATI in 2003 :/ so you're wrong there they simply changed the branding in 2007

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball