End Of The Line For AMD FX Processors. (UPDATE)

Crap, the competitor is gone> I hope AMD have some high end APUs with more than 4 cores.

So,my 4930K is a mid range Intel CPU?No It is low end from Intel's perspective.8 x Xeon E7-8890v2 is high end.Therefore to push you into the Xeon E5 and E7 market,Core i series and Xeon E3 series will have a price raise.Definitely.

Oooohhh I like how you know what I am talking about, but your fanboy'ism kick's in, and trying to find SOMETHING, scratching the bucket, to show how wrong I am, even know the context of the discussion and forum, is obvious that we are talking about consumer grade products.

Remember in 2004-2005... when AMD was the only one with a CPU that completely massacred Intel best offering. The first, true, dual core, full 64-bit CPU.

Yea, do you remember what the cost of the med range model? I'll remind you.. I have the bill. ~700$ Canadian/US, and it sold like hot cakes. (scroll at the bottom for the price: http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/athlon64-x2_3.html)

Intel pulled a price war with AMD, until Intel, using the AMD64 patent technology for making a x64-64 architecture processor, and faster, Core 2 Duo, then it was a neck and neck battle. The first time you saw many PC's in retail stored powered by AMD.

Since thing calm down, Intel remained it's pricing to what it is now, more or less. But, now, there is nothing from Intel perspective, blocking them.

What happens if Intel charges it's next gen CPU, med range, 500$ instead of around 300$ now? Sure you'll wait.. but what after 5 years? You'll have to upgrade that computer at some point in time, and perhaps you might be able to wait, other might not... so Intel will win big. Then they can increase further.

I'm happy to see this, the FX line wasn't necessary anymore with the current idea AMD is going for, they will make APUs more powerful, and they will give us more premium options that will allow them to compete on higher ends of the market, we will probably see a 200$ 6-core APU when they get start making 20nm chips.

All the task where the FX chips perform slower than Intel's CPUs are the ones which are better done on a GPU (e.g. Floating point multi-processing operations), when they get to a better GPU-CPU integration we may see a much stronger carrizo CPU without floating point processing capabilities, this can be handled easy by the IGPU area. If AMD can pull this off you won't miss FX line at all, and any intel chip you compare against the APU, will be crushed in performance. Intel is working on this as well, by moving to better integrated GPUs, but AMD seems ahead on the process with hUMA, HSA, and even mantle.

Other possible path is to enhance the current Athlon line (APUs without the IGPU), maybe resurrecting the Phenom name, making better athlon cores and keeping only a low end integrated gpu.

Whatever choice they make, they are going forward, they had to ditch the AM3+ socket anyway, make a new chipset and so. Now they are building processors for a new socket and a new chipset (FM2+ /Bolton X88).

but....but....but... I just bought my 8320 with a 990fx mobo.

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

Oooohhh I like how you know what I am talking about, but your fanboy'ism kick's in, and trying to find SOMETHING, scratching the bucket, to show how wrong I am, even know the context of the discussion and forum, is obvious that we are talking about consumer grade products.Remember in 2004-2005... when AMD was the only one with a CPU that completely massacred Intel best offering. The first, true, dual core, full 64-bit CPU.Yea, do you remember what the cost of the med range model? I'll remind you.. I have the bill. ~700$ Canadian/US, and it sold like hot cakes. (scroll at the bottom for the price: http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/athlon64-x2_3.html)Intel pulled a price war with AMD, until Intel, using the AMD64 patent technology for making a x64-64 architecture processor, and faster, Core 2 Duo, then it was a neck and neck battle. The first time you saw many PC's in retail stored powered by AMD.Since thing calm down, Intel remained it's pricing to what it is now, more or less. But, now, there is nothing from Intel perspective, blocking them.What happens if Intel charges it's next gen CPU, med range, 500$ instead of around 300$ now? Sure you'll wait.. but what after 5 years? You'll have to upgrade that computer at some point in time, and perhaps you might be able to wait, other might not... so Intel will win big. Then they can increase further.

The point is,anyway intel wins,especially if they do not increase Xeon Prices.

Person A had to upgrade PC--cannot afford Xeons,buys more expensive i5--intel wins

Person B is an Enthusiast--i7 Extreme too expensive,buys Xeon E5--intel wins

Person C is a gamer--finds out i5 K is too expensive,gets a non K Soldered CPU--intel wins

Person D is a network administrator--finds out the Xeon E7 carries nice value,gets them--intel wins

Person E wants to buy an Alienware--bought it--intel wins

Person F wants to buy a gaming computer--retailer only sells Intel--bought one--intel wins

Only those who need IGP which is that so few people will benefit from AMD's move.

So no matter what,Intel benefits from this.

Not really fanboying right here.Trying to prove a point.

Sorry but I do not even have a computer in 2005.First is in 2007 which is a Pentium D crap.

There is no such thing as x64-64.

There is only x86-16,x86-32 and x86-64 etc.

IA-64 is not x64-64 either because x64 is not a existent architecture.

I don't get the point of leaked roadmaps. If they're leaked, then that means that they are secret, which would mean it was only to be seen in the eyes of AMD. Is AMD solo stupid that they can't remember what they're going to be releasing in the next 3 years? 

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

Amd better start making some A12 apus with more cores

Sent from my HTC Butterfly using Tapatalk

they are leaving behind the AM3+ platform foxs (not the high end cpus line  ^_^)

(is funny, blue team do this "all the time" but here is "omg" lol  :lol:)

Amd better start making some A12 apus with more cores

Sent from my HTC Butterfly using Tapatalk

What does AMD bring to the table when they do that. Anyone can make A12 APUs. A12 is a joke compared to Silvermont and Krait and Cyclone anyways. AMDs GPUs are terrible if you go under 5W on them. They can't get much out of it as GCN isnt designed to run that low but Intel and Nvidia and Qualcom and Imagination all have good offerings there.

Maybe they will launch a new series and chipset. They still don't have pcie 3 although Pcie devices can't use all the bandwidth . They also lack enough usb 3 ports. So they need a new chipset. And in the leaked roadmap pics maybe that was just for the APUs amd they should have a separate one for CPU and GPU etc.

The point is,anyway intel wins,especially if they do not increase Xeon Prices.

Person A had to upgrade PC--cannot afford Xeons,buys more expensive i5--intel wins

Person B is an Enthusiast--i7 Extreme too expensive,buys Xeon E5--intel wins

Person C is a gamer--finds out i5 K is too expensive,gets a non K Soldered CPU--intel wins

Person D is a network administrator--finds out the Xeon E7 carries nice value,gets them--intel wins

Person E wants to buy an Alienware--bought it--intel wins

Person F wants to buy a gaming computer--retailer only sells Intel--bought one--intel wins

Only those who need IGP which is that so few people will benefit from AMD's move.

So no matter what,Intel benefits from this.

Not really fanboying right here.Trying to prove a point.

Sorry but I do not even have a computer in 2005.First is in 2007 which is a Pentium D crap.

There is no such thing as x64-64.

There is only x86-16,x86-32 and x86-64 etc.

IA-64 is not x64-64 either because x64 is not a existent architecture.

Come on dude.. that whole person A-F thing was completely subjective and one sided.

E.g. What just because someone can't afford a K series CPU, they're just magically going to only want a non K series part? What if they want to overclock? You've just completely pushed AMD out of the situation for these cherry picked scenarios. I could make a similar list for AMD, NVIDIA, Intel... all it requires for me is to be opinionated and flat out biased. 

THE BEAST Motherboard: MSI B350 Tomahawk   CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700   GPU: Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC  RAM: 16GB G.Skill FlareX DDR4   

PSU: Corsair CX650M     Case: Corsair 200R    SSD: Kingston 240GB SSD Plus   HDD: 1TB WD Green Drive and Seagate Barracuda 2TB Media Drive

Come on dude.. that whole person A-F thing was completely subjective and one sided.

E.g. What just because someone can't afford a K series CPU, they're just magically going to only want a non K series part? What if they want to overclock? You've just completely pushed AMD out of the situation for these cherry picked scenarios. I could make a similar list for AMD, NVIDIA, Intel... all it requires for me is to be opinionated and flat out biased.

The problem is,an AMD APU cannot even compare with an i5.

The problem is,an AMD APU cannot even compare with an i5.

FX series? They're definitely capable and are cheaper, which would cater to that particular person's scenario.

THE BEAST Motherboard: MSI B350 Tomahawk   CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700   GPU: Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC  RAM: 16GB G.Skill FlareX DDR4   

PSU: Corsair CX650M     Case: Corsair 200R    SSD: Kingston 240GB SSD Plus   HDD: 1TB WD Green Drive and Seagate Barracuda 2TB Media Drive

FX series? They're definitely capable and are cheaper, which would cater to that particular person's scenario.

Wow,you did not read the title at all.

Ok fine, disregarding FX then. 

If you are a gamer, and you want the best gaming performance, are you honestly telling me that at this time, you would go with Intel HD Graphics over AMD's integrated solution? No way. Games benefit more from the GPU performance than CPU performance. 

Ok fine, disregarding FX then. 

If you are a gamer, and you want the best gaming performance, are you honestly telling me that at this time, you would go with Intel HD Graphics over AMD's integrated solution? No way. Games benefit more from the GPU performance than CPU performance.

By gamers I mean people using a 650Ti boost or 7850 low end cards and above.

OH DUDE I AM SO SORRY. I was sweeping my garage until I realised what you meant. I completely get what you mean in that particular gamer scenario. What I said about the APU was just stupid, I was interpreting it wrong. What I was trying to say is at this time, (which is something I should've pointed out) if someone is not willing to dish out the money for a K series Intel CPU, and they're a gamer, they're much better off getting an FX CPU over a non K part, as to be completely honest the 8350 has very similar performance to say the 4670K. Especially if they're looking to save money (as the person in that scenario), it would make much more sense to do that as the whole platform is cheaper and just invest in the better GPU. It's not like between now and 2015 the 8350 will be so weak. Look at the 2600K for example, still a beast CPU, yet is more than 2 years old. 

Anyway reiterating what I said before, you're scenarios did feel a bit cherry picked and once again i'm sorry for my confusion lol

By gamers I mean people using a 650Ti boost or 7850 low end cards and above.

Haha look at my post before this, don't worry I got what you mean about the current APU vs i5

OH DUDE I AM SO SORRY. I was sweeping my garage until I realised what you meant. I completely get what you mean in that particular gamer scenario. What I said about the APU was just stupid, I was interpreting it wrong. What I was trying to say is at this time, (which is something I should've pointed out) if someone is not willing to dish out the money for a K series Intel CPU, and they're a gamer, they're much better off getting an FX CPU over a non K part, as to be completely honest the 8350 has very similar performance to say the 4670K. Especially if they're looking to save money (as the person in that scenario), it would make much more sense to do that as the whole platform is cheaper and just invest in the better GPU. It's not like between now and 2015 the 8350 will be so weak. Look at the 2600K for example, still a beast CPU, yet is more than 2 years old. 

Anyway reiterating what I said before, you're scenarios did feel a bit cherry picked and once again i'm sorry for my confusion lol

Haha look at my post before this, don't worry I got what you mean about the current APU vs i5

Can someone help me?I cannot figure out if these posts contains sarcasm or not...

Come on,who will want to buy an ancient product?Broadwell with DDR4 will be a much better buy by then.

Can someone help me?I cannot figure out if these posts contains sarcasm or not...

Come on,who will want to buy an ancient product?Broadwell with DDR4 will be a much better buy by then.

Hahahahaha I get this a lot, people can't tell when I'm serious or not so I'll let you figure that out.

But in all honesty, I personally don't think DDR4 will be mainstream enough and will be too expensive in 2014. I don't even think Broadwell (consumer grade) supports DDR4...

Hahahahaha I get this a lot, people can't tell when I'm serious or not so I'll let you figure that out.

But in all honesty, I personally don't think DDR4 will be mainstream in 2014. I don't even think Broadwell (consumer grade) supports DDR4...

Broadwell will support DDR4,will appear in 2015.2014 is Haswell refresh.Of course in 2014,FX is still a thing.

Broadwell will support DDR4,will appear in 2015.2014 is Haswell refresh.Of course in 2014,FX is still a thing.

Source? I know Skylake will support DDR4 but never heard anything about Broadwell doing so. I may be wrong though. 

Once again, you're underestimating technology. I don't see anything wrong with someone owning a 3770K, 8350, GTX 680 or any other pieces of reasonably high end hardware from 2012 (Assuming we're in 2014). Honestly, not everyone has the money to upgrade every single cycle. 

Source? I know Skylake will support DDR4 but never heard anything about Broadwell doing so. I may be wrong though. 

Once again, you're underestimating technology. I don't see anything wrong with someone owning a 3770K, 8350, GTX 680 or any other pieces of reasonably high end hardware from 2012 (Assuming we're in 2014). Honestly, not everyone has the money to upgrade every single cycle. 

Many sources says the broadwell platform will have ddr4.It should be true because the problem is that broadwell is not compatible with Haswell nor Haswell refresh.Thus by needing to redesign things,they may as well put ddr4 in which is by then more affordable.