End Of The Line For AMD FX Processors. (UPDATE)

AMD will still be making CPUs, They go by the name: Opteron 

I know less about opteron than Xeon :P Btw, there are xeons with IGPU. Do those that dont have igpu, have disabled one or???

Yea, but we now know they wont release any cpu till 2016. Thats... a long time. And Intel is allready in lead with 3570k and 4670k, with next haswel refresh or broadwell whatever we will get, there wont be reason to buy AMD, aside for price ( they will drop piledriver price 2H 2014 ). 

What? I see new CPU's for every year until 2015...if it's an APU it doesn't necessarily mean it's low-end, maybe their new Steamroller cores perform a lot better than Bulldozer so you get much more performance, or there can be APU's with more cores than 4 (altough that wouldn't match the TDP). They would be fools if they didn't secure the high-end segment, and since they only make APU's now, it must mean that new A10 chips will be real powerhouses with an iGPU.

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

im really happy they are moving to high end APUs

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

I would have liked a steamroller or excavator CPU. Weird seeing amd with the short lived upgrade path (am3+ not am3). I thought that was suppose to be an intel thing.

We've been hearing about this for a while but... R.I.P. In Peace our beloved AMD CPUs.

Current System: CPU - I5-6500 | Motherboard - ASRock H170M-ITX/ac | RAM - Mushkin Blackline 16GB DDR4 @ 2400mHz | GPU - EVGA 1060 3GB | Case - Fractal Design Nano S | Storage - 250GB 850 EVO, 3TB Barracuda | PSU - EVGA 450W 80+ Bronze | Display - AOC 22" 1080p IPS | Cooling - Phanteks PH-TC12DX_BK | Keyboard - Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid(MX Blues) | Mouse - Logitech G602 | Sound - Schiit Stack | Operating System - Windows 10

The OG System: I3-2370M @ 2.4 GHz, 750GB 5400 RPM HDD, 8GB RAM @1333Mhz, Lenovo Z580 Laptop (Ubuntu 16.04 LTS).

Peripherals: G602, AKG 240, Sennheiser HD 6XX, Audio-Technica 2500, Oneplus 5T, Odroid C2(NAS).

What? I see new CPU's for every year until 2015...if it's an APU it doesn't necessarily mean it's low-end, maybe their new Steamroller cores perform a lot better than Bulldozer so you get much more performance, or there can be APU's with more cores than 4 (altough that wouldn't match the TDP). They would be fools if they didn't secure the high-end segment, and since they only make APU's now, it must mean that new A10 chips will be real powerhouses with an iGPU.

I tototally get it, and i dont think APUs are low end.

But like 40% of die space is reserved for iGPU. if you dont use it, you still pay it. if devs somehow dont use huma and hsa there is absolutelly no need for it if you are a gamer. And every bit counts for AMD since they have inferior cores and still no 20nm.

i would rather see amd making 8 core ( 4 module ) Steamroller processor, or 6 core phenoms or whatever. They would be more powerful obviously, with more space for things like cache, FPUs and cores.

FOr example...  even i3 is better choice than 6800k if you are gamer.

6800k is 134$. 

i3 4330 is like... 114$? ( ah nevermind, usual price is above 130$ )

8320 is like 150$

6300 is like 120$

i3 3220 is like 123$

See what i mean? I dont want iGPU, not on intel not on amd IF ITS NOT USED

. If they will somehow use it (hUMA / HSA ), then i am allright with it.

But if the performance is somehow similar to 3570k and the price also on the right place, then AMD might have an ACE in their sleeve. Right now they got only piledriver CPUs and prices to be competitive with intel.

I hope i'm contributing the right information here,

The FX platform on AM3+ has already gotten as "advanced" as it's going to get. With APU's on FM2+ and beyond, they had to start again at the low end, but it has even more room to expand above and beyond what FX could deliver.

Right now, the highest end APU, the A10-6800K, at its STOCK settings can deliver performance similar to the FX-4350. When OC'd it can match the FX-6100~6200 (without going too crazy on cooling).

I expect the new Kaveri A10-7850k to perform at STOCK, equal to the FX-6300, and again, will be able to OC even higher. That's the improvement that we will see on APU's, from Kaveri and beyond. Little improvements every generation, both in CPU and GPU performance (which is a whole different topic).

So please don't criticize AMD for "ditching the high end", they haven't... they're just working their way up again on a different platform.

I hope you can understand my logic here. Thanks :]

After thinking it over a little bit, I feel like there's nothing to be sad about.

Now, don't yell at me for saying this, but do we need any more than an FX-8350 for games?  Games in general aren't really CPU-bound, and they're not getting increasingly so.  And as games will likely become more multi-threaded thanks to the new consoles, I'd say Vishera will live on for quite some time, until AMD can get an APU up to that level of power.

My i7-2600K is probably near equivalent to an FX-8350 in games, and I'll be holding onto it for years to come.  Intel realizes this, and so it's really pushing iGPU as well on the mainstream platform rather than dumping resources into more CPU power.

And GPU compute is exploding.  That must be the main reason both Intel and AMD are seriously pushing integrated GPU solutions.  I believe both companies want a future where most programs take advantage of GPU compute for parallelizing certain workloads.  AMD isn't abandoning the enthusiasts, quite the opposite actually.  It's making the future more exciting for enthusiasts.  Instead of just MOAR CORES and MOAR JIGGAHERTZ we're getting a different kind of performance evolution.

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

And yet, when Microsoft tries to open doors with ARM processors support with Windows RT, people bash Microsoft for it's effort.

Well I guess now we are stuck with a Intel monopoly. I can't wait to spend 500-700$ for a mid range Intel CPU.

Congrats people.

im really happy they are moving to high end APUs

Let me know if they get there.

I would like to see better use of the gpu when a dedicated card is also installed. Accelerate something if it is going to use the die space.

The FX platform on AM3+ has already gotten as "advanced" as it's going to get. With APU's on FM2+ and beyond, they had to start again at the low end, but it has even more room to expand above and beyond what FX could deliver.

Right now, the highest end APU, the A10-6800K, at its STOCK settings can deliver performance similar to the FX-4350. When OC'd it can match the FX-6100~6200 (without going too crazy on cooling).

I expect the new Kaveri A10-7850k to perform at STOCK, equal to the FX-6300, and again, will be able to OC even higher. That's the improvement that we will see on APU's, from Kaveri and beyond. Little improvements every generation, both in CPU and GPU performance (which is a whole different topic).

So please don't criticize AMD for "ditching the high end", they haven't... they're just working their way up again on a different platform.

So the top of the line APU can deliver performance equal to a low end FX, colour me unimpressed.

Fwiw I do get the logic and it makes sense, just disappointed. I still have a need for a faster CPU than the APU, and I would rather keep my amd platform instead of going to intel.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that the APU is the way of the future, but why can't we have our cake and eat it too?

Yeah but by the time there APU's will be on par with the FX 8350 Intel will be like 2-3x times faster then anything AMD has.

AMD has no chance againts Intel not in the CPU market and not even in the APU market.

Intel is sadly 1-2 Generations ahead of everybody.

RTX2070OC 

Let me know if they get there.

I would like to see better use of the gpu when a dedicated card is also installed. Accelerate something if it is going to use the die space.

So the top of the line APU can deliver performance equal to a low end FX, colour me unimpressed.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that the APU is the way of the future, but why can't we have our cake and eat it too?

You just have to wait. If you want to have the same performance as an 8350, then GET and 8350. The FX line isn't going away, it's just not being evolved anymore at this time.

Yeah but by the time there APU's will be on par with the FX 8350 Intel will be like 2-3x times faster then anything AMD has.

AMD has no chance againts Intel not in the CPU market and not even in the APU market.

Intel is sadly 1-2 Generations ahead of everybody.

If Intel would decide to go in the GPU market they would probably even crush Nvidia.

Intel sure isn't ahead of AMD in terms of price though. Intel releases a part, AMD releases a similarly spec'd part for less money. That's how it's been for a while now. That's the game that they're choosing to play right now. And it's worked pretty well, no?

plan for AMD: stop making epic desktop CPU's, let intel get lazy and begin to charge lots of money on 10% performance increases. THEN ALL OF A SUDDEN: RELEASE THE BAD BOYS ONCE AGAIN! A new FX series that gives intel a run for its money: a CPU series that is twice as powerful as intel's and cost less!

idk... just an idea

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Fwiw I do get the logic and it makes sense, just disappointed. I still have a need for a faster CPU than the APU, and I would rather keep my amd platform instead of going to intel.

You could not make better sum-up in one sentence :) It would be nice if they used it for like... physics.

Intel sure isn't ahead of AMD in terms of price though. Intel releases a part, AMD releases a similarly spec'd part for less money. That's how it's been for a while now. That's the game that they're choosing to play right now. And it's worked pretty well, no?

Intel has complete dominance in the market all prices are like they want them.

They don't have to make them cheap because AMD can't keep up with them.

We had the same situation at the beginning of the Year with Nvidia with the GTX Titan/780,770.

They where able to set the price high because they had no competition.

RTX2070OC 

This is just crushing news for any hardware enthusiast. I am currently looking into building my first gaming PC and since my budget was restricted, I was siding with the 3+ socket as long as there was an upgrade path. AMD cards and CPUs have been the budget gamers choice. Guess I'll be buying 1150 after all :unsure: .

You all know the cause of this right? Filthy iGPU casuals :ph34r: .

Still, with the new consoles all running AMD graphics hopefully they'll build up enough royalties that they can re-invest in high end CPUs in the future. Here's to hoping they come back swinging  :wub: .

You just have to wait. If you want to have the same performance as an 8350, then GET and 8350. The FX line isn't going away, it's just not being evolved anymore at this time.

If I wanted an 8350, I'd buy an 8350, not the 9000s though. It would be a different argument if their top of the line APU could perform at or near an 8150. Being selfish, I would rather have got one more upgrade before switching platforms.

I do get it. They are going after a market they can compete in. I am sure they will produce faster APUs over time, as software becomes more optimized we all benefit.

And yet, when Microsoft tries to open doors with ARM processors support with Windows RT, people bash Microsoft for it's effort.

Well I guess now we are stuck with a Intel monopoly. I can't wait to spend 500-700$ for a mid range Intel CPU.

Congrats people.

Except Microsoft didn't open doors.  Windows RT is hardly Windows.

When we first heard of Windows on ARM, we thought we were getting just that, Windows on ARM.  We thought we'd have a future where we could get all our favorite Windows programs, Notepad++, CCleaner, CPU-Z, whatever they may be, compiled for ARM.  We thought we would eventually get an experience identical to x86 Windows, but on ARM.

But no.  Microsoft was seeking control.  Microsoft decided to use ARM as a way to start developing a locked down ecosystem, completely disjoint from the Windows we know and love.  And that's why Microsoft gets bashed.  We don't want yet another constrained, "mobilized" platform, we already have iOS and Android for that, and others that have fallen off the map, but Microsoft pushes on anyway.

Is it really Windows if I can't go to whateverapplication.com and just download an exe?  In my eyes, no.

And so I'm excited to see what Intel and AMD can do in the areas of mobile and lower-end devices and more integrated solutions.  x86 is the only way we'll get true Windows, and AMD and Intel moving toward more viable solutions for lower-end devices is a good thing.

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

This is just crushing news for any hardware enthusiast. I am currently looking into building my first gaming PC and since my budget was restricted, I was siding with the 3+ socket as long as there was an upgrade path. AMD cards and CPUs have been the budget gamers choice. Guess I'll be buying 1155 after all :unsure: .

There is no upgrade path on the 1155 now.

There is no upgrade path on the 1155 now.

But 2011 has been stated to be a pure i7 platform. Does this mean that the next i5 will be introduced on another socket?

EDIT: Sorry, I meant 1150. I was thinking of getting the 4670K, but my question still stands.

:| yay they step away from the market so that Intel can go :D more laptop processors :D yay

Character artist in the Games industry.

Maybe people should read the Pcper article from a few months ago. This isn't the rise of the Intel monopoly by any stretch of the imagination.

Instead of having a CPU with 4-8 super powerful cores, you will have a CPU with 4 powerful cores and many dozens of smaller cores. Integer and floating point performance will explode, and power consumption won't go through the roof.

Mantle will decrease the CPU requirement for games, meaning that you won't need to spend more for an Intel CPU.

It's going to take time though. Patience, grasshopper.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking