Malware hidden in cCleaner debacle...

TidaLWaveZ
Go to solution Solved by YamiYukiSenpai,

I was playing Mass Effect Andromeda multiplayer today, and it was lagging like crazy

Closed CCleaner and it was smooth as silk again.

Dunno if the had anything to do with it.

Hackers have successfully breached CCleaner’s security to inject malware into the antivirus app and distribute it to millions of users. Security researchers at Cisco Talos discovered that download servers used by Avast (the company that owns CCleaner) were compromised to distribute malware inside CCleaner. “For a period of time, the legitimate signed version of CCleaner 5.33 being distributed by Avast also contained a multi-stage malware payload that rode on top of the installation of CCleaner,” says the Talos team.

ccleaner-796x434.jpg

A lot of tech news outlets are offering simple(some nonsensical) descriptions, but the talos blog seems to be the true source of detailed information.  They seem to have all the technical information which I haven't fully deciphered at the time of this post. Through what I've seen already things don't seem to add up. Does the hidden malware itself actually consist of a means to actually access an end users computer? It doesn't really seem feasible to me that this could be accomplished and to furthermore go unnoticed.

I'm not sure what to think, especially when most of the dumbed down articles seem to be crying wolf by screaming BACKDOOR! RANSOMWARE! HACKERS! I still can't seem to determine if the malware is just collecting some lite system details and only the truly careless are effected or something much worse.

Truly scary or blown out of proportion?

Was cCleaner truly hacked or was this an inside job(quick big data grab)?

Will The Verge ever produce any semblance of an article that's not complete garbage?

http://blog.talosintelligence.com/2017/09/avast-distributes-malware.html

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

LOL 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

Yo wtf, I have CCLeaner installed on a load of computers belonging to family members. Lucky I'm wiping one of them this week.. hahah

idk

nothing is free in free software except opensource models

3x 128GB Samsung PM961 M.2 (2x Kryom PCI-E M.2 by Aqua Computer) on windows os raid and 1x PM961 as os Host on the motherboard m.2 slot
+ 250GB Samsung 850 EVO
+ 7200RPM Seagate 1 Terabyte HDD
  • PSU
    seasonic 750 prime platinum Active PFC F3
  • Cooling
    Noctua NH-D15S (original fan replaced by an Noctua 140mm industrialPPC-2000 IP67 PWM + Steel 140mm fan guard)
  • Keyboard
    Cherry MX Board 6.0 ISOANSI + Vector/Tai keycaps+ Landing pads + O-rings
  • Mouse
    BenQ Zowie EC2-A White Edition
  • Sound
    Edirol Roland UA-25EX + Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 x64 (Enterprise) SP1, OpenSUSE, Remnux

Well, that's a bit embarrassing for them.

Anyone who tells you that you can't do something is unimaginative and probably a coward.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  Board: Asus PRIME X570-P  Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2x8) DDR4-3000  Case: Fractal Design Define S

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070  SSD: HP EX950 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM

PSU: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 750W  Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4  Monitor: Viotek GFT27DB 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz

Odd, I'm actually running that version, v5.33.6162 (64-bit), but downloaded it Aug. 15. According to that post, the installer was infected on Sept. 12. I don't do the automatic update, nor have I experienced anything odd, so I guess I'm unharmed.  Will remove it regardless, however, and see how things progress with on the matter.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  Board: Asus PRIME X570-P  Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2x8) DDR4-3000  Case: Fractal Design Define S

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070  SSD: HP EX950 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM

PSU: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 750W  Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4  Monitor: Viotek GFT27DB 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz

Woah this is scary. I have 5.28

Gaming PCs:
Intel i7 4790k, EVGA GTX 980ti, NZXT H440
Intel i5 7600k, Asus GTX 970 DC Mini, Silverstone SG13B
HTPC: AMD Phenom II X6 1045t, EVGA GTX 770 FTW, Fractal Node 604

47 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

BACKDOOR! RANSOMWARE! HACKERS!

hopefully not ransomware because that shit is nasty 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

10 minutes ago, johndms said:

Odd, I'm actually running that version, v5.33.6162 (64-bit), but downloaded it Aug. 15. According to that post, the installer was infected on Sept. 12. I don't do the automatic update, nor have I experienced anything odd, so I guess I'm unharmed.  Will remove it regardless, however, and see how things progress with on the matter.

It's stuff like this that keeps me manually installing updates.

Microsoft on the other hand....

Edit: Hmm new default avatars.

5 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

hopefully not ransomware because that shit is nasty 

I'm still severely confused and the more I try to read through the detailed explanation the less sense it makes to me.

Seems like the malware just collects the PC's system information and sends it to back to a certain IP.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

11 minutes ago, johndms said:

Quote from the article "In reviewing the Version History page on the CCleaner download site, it appears that the affected version (5.33) was released on August 15, 2017. On September 12, 2017 version 5.34 was released. "

Gaming PCs:
Intel i7 4790k, EVGA GTX 980ti, NZXT H440
Intel i5 7600k, Asus GTX 970 DC Mini, Silverstone SG13B
HTPC: AMD Phenom II X6 1045t, EVGA GTX 770 FTW, Fractal Node 604

Well shit. I installed it on my phone as well a week ago. Before 13th Sept that is.

It's gonna be funny to see conspiracy theorists use this for malware sharing by Antivirus corporations. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

13 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

I'm still severely confused and the more I try to read through the detailed explanation the less sense it makes to me.

I'm reading the linked article and it does show that they tampered the digital signature and have injected a code to bypass AV detection by the DLL file [CBkdr.dll]. From the article too, the malware will terminate itself if it has determined that the user is not using an administrator account. If in the unfortunate event that the user is using an admin account, it will write itself in the registry and begins gathering system information.

image3.png

So it looks like a conduit for other malware. Also, collecting system information? That might range from passwords or credit card information to login credentials. It could be an instrument for an APT with the usual targets are corporations and government agencies. But then I could be wrong.

https://www.symantec.com/content/en/us/enterprise/white_papers/b-advanced_persistent_threats_WP_21215957.en-us.pdf

http://www.trendmicro.com.ru/media/misc/ebook-advanced-persistant-threats-and-real-time-threat-management.pdf

How very interesting. Thankfully, I do my own spring cleaning, not to mention running a standard account on the desktop.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

15 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

-snip

It just seems like they are super detailed on the exact process of how it works but very vague on it's capabilities.

I don't see how it can get any sensitive information without first getting admin access. Are they grabbing usernames and collecting deeper when they can access someones admin account? If it's spreading malware wouldn't the others be caught when trying to be installed?

Just now, TidaLWaveZ said:

It just seems like they are super detailed on the exact process of how it works but very vague on it's capabilities.

I don't see how it can get any sensitive information without first getting admin access. Are they grabbing usernames and collecting deeper when they can access someones admin account?

Well it has to determine first if the user has standard or admin account because with an admin account, privileges are elevated. With a standard account, it will trigger a UAC prompt and it cannot install an executable file without the admin password.

anniversary-update-uac-prompt.png

Probably with an admin account, the user is more likely to click Yes because it won't ask for a password and the installation will proceed. So sucks for admins then. Unfortunately they haven't revealed the capabilities of the said malware just yet other than collect system information which by itself is way too broad.

7 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

-snip

One thing's for sure, this definitely wasn't just a guy sitting in his basement doing this for a thrill.

14 minutes ago, Arokhantos said:

Ccleaner is from the windows 95 era, why we still need app like this anyway, heck if not used it in years since the tools are all inside windows anyway to clean everything up :D

Cause it's easy for non techies to use, when it comes to cleaning out the junk in their computer. I use it too, for its convenience.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

10 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Cause it's easy for non techies to use, when it comes to cleaning out the junk in their computer. I use it too, for its convenience.

There's a thing called Disk Cleanup. Also, I don't notice any performance difference way back in 2010-2012 when I was using it with Windows 7.

4 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

There's a thing called Disk Cleanup. Also, I don't notice any performance difference way back in 2010-2012 when I was using it with Windows 7.

It cleans up a lot more than Disk Cleanup does.

It doesn't boost your performance at all though.  If anything, it hinders it, depending on if you say yes to the background services.  When you're low on space it's really helpful though.  I've got an SSD in my laptop, and I can't buy a bigger one until prices drop, so it's useful.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

8 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

You've got to remember that we're severely outnumbered by people who truly couldn't accomplish the task of navigating to disk cleanup.