Malware hidden in cCleaner debacle...

TidaLWaveZ
Go to solution Solved by YamiYukiSenpai,

I was playing Mass Effect Andromeda multiplayer today, and it was lagging like crazy

Closed CCleaner and it was smooth as silk again.

Dunno if the had anything to do with it.

4 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

You've got to remember that we're severely outnumbered by people who truly couldn't accomplish the task of navigating to disk cleanup.

I think Disk Cleanup should be bolted inside the Settings because in the Control Panel, it's under Administrative Tools which isn't the first thing you'll see nor there's a Windows notification to cleanup junk in your PC.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

6 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

I think Disk Cleanup should be bolted inside the Settings because in the Control Panel, it's under Administrative Tools which isn't the first thing you'll see nor there's a Windows notification to cleanup junk in your PC.

I'm just commenting more on peoples ability to care at all. I honestly and wholeheartedly believe that the vast majority of people who use computers on a daily basis are completely careless to the point where if their computer gets slow they just think it's time to buy a new one.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say gigantic botnet.

Anyone who tells you that you can't do something is unimaginative and probably a coward.

Running 5.34 since last month... Then again I only use this to clean my registry after uninstalling a lot of programs

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

Sophisticated attack vector, so likely more for Corporate-type targets. Collecting passwords & credentials to attack more valuable targets on a network. Quite clever, actually, as it's not actually a delivery for malware itself, but for collection tracking software. Nation State?

Its an already fixed issue, but ironically it did turn a program made by a AV subsidiary into malware. Basically to fix it download ccleaner latest release 5.34. It removes the part that turns ccleaner into a logging malware. Also on what was more likely avast`s end they shutdown the servers the software linked to. if your wondering what it captured "computer name, a list of installed software, a list of running processes, MAC addresses for the first three network interfaces, and unique IDs to identify each computer in part." ->
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/how-to/security/ccleaner-malware-incident-what-you-need-to-know-and-how-to-remove/

Although if you want to go full tin foil hat. It was a inside job based on piriforms official blog post statement "was illegally modified before it was released to the public" in the link -> .http://www.piriform.com/news/blog/2017/9/18/security-notification-for-ccleaner-v5336162-and-ccleaner-cloud-v1073191-for-32-bit-windows-users .

3 minutes ago, ImHyperstyle said:

quick question... who uses 32bit?

I do on one of my machines.  My netbook has a 32bit CPU.  That kinda makes it difficult to run a 64bit OS on that one.

Fortunately it's running Mint 18.1 nowadays, so no worries here. 

All these years, and CCleaner was perfectly fine. 2 months after being acquired by Avast, and this happens? Yeah... pointing my fingers at the god-awful "anti-malware" company here. Could be the fact that I am still very salty with Avast nuking my OS when it thought it found malware, lol. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

3 hours ago, hey_yo_ said:

There's a thing called Disk Cleanup. 

I've never seen Disk Cleanup perform a registry cleanup, which in my opinion was the main true reason for CCleaner's existence.

20 minutes ago, MageTank said:

All these years, and CCleaner was perfectly fine. 2 months after being acquired by Avast, and this happens? Yeah... pointing my fingers at the god-awful "anti-malware" company here. Could be the fact that I am still very salty with Avast nuking my OS when it thought it found malware, lol. 

This has nothing to do with Avast. 2 months after they acquire them is not enough time for them to dig their fingers into as it will then take time to figure out what to do, how to do, what resources to use....etc...You dont just buy a company and next week its a different product. This was just a back door that wasnt found until now. 

41 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

This has nothing to do with Avast. 2 months after they acquire them is not enough time for them to dig their fingers into as it will then take time to figure out what to do, how to do, what resources to use....etc...You dont just buy a company and next week its a different product. This was just a back door that wasnt found until now. 

This issue came from a version released in August, after avast aquired ccleaner and started hosting piriform. It is not impacting any release before 5.33. in fact, version 5.32 (released on July 11th, 8 days before avast bought piriform) was exempt from this issue. Literally the first release AFTER avast acquired Piriform, we see a security breach of Piriform for the first time ever in their 12+ year run, and you think I am crazy for making that assumption? This is not a case of it being a backdoor that has existed for several versions of a product. It only existed in one version of it, and only existed after hosting changed hands. This might just be a tin foil hat kind of assumption, but I genuinely believe it.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

4 minutes ago, MageTank said:

This issue came from a version released in August, after avast aquired ccleaner and started hosting piriform. It is not impacting any release before 5.33. in fact, version 5.32 (released on July 11th, 8 days before avast bought piriform) was exempt from this issue. Literally the first release AFTER avast acquired Piriform, we see a security breach of Piriform for the first time ever in their 12+ year run, and you think I am crazy for making that assumption? This is not a case of it being a backdoor that has existed for several versions of a product. It only existed in one version of it, and only existed after hosting changed hands. This might just be a tin foil hat kind of assumption, but I genuinely believe it.

200_s.gif

Suspicious indeed...

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

3 minutes ago, MageTank said:

I cant say the assumption is wrong. Just the fact that acquiring a company and making changes takes a lot longer before they do their damage. 2 months seems just too quick.

5 hours ago, Alariel said:

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say gigantic botnet.

With Adnauseam, I am botnet.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

5 hours ago, hey_yo_ said:

There's a thing called Disk Cleanup. Also, I don't notice any performance difference way back in 2010-2012 when I was using it with Windows 7.

Windows Disk Cleanup is limited and cannot clean additional stuffs where CCleaner can.

5 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

It cleans up a lot more than Disk Cleanup does.

It doesn't boost your performance at all though.  If anything, it hinders it, depending on if you say yes to the background services.  When you're low on space it's really helpful though.  I've got an SSD in my laptop, and I can't buy a bigger one until prices drop, so it's useful.

Actually it does. Did a clean install of the OS, drivers, windows updates and programs. Then Windows started to lagged for no reason. So I ran CCleaner and everything went back to normal.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

i used to run CCleaner, its usefull to get rid of a bunch of crap files quickly and alerts you when you can save a nice amount to clean. i havent used it since i had to reinstall windows last though so i should be fine, that was a month or something back and even then it wasent up to date

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

7 hours ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

I'm still severely confused and the more I try to read through the detailed explanation the less sense it makes to me.

Seems like the malware just collects the PC's system information and sends it to back to a certain IP.

What it is doing is checking system time just before the initial function call and then 601 seconds later to make sure 601 seconds has actually passed. The purpose of this is to not call any additional malicious code during those 601 seconds as automated anti-malware processes will scan the recently started CCleaner.exe. The scan will typically be over by the time that 601 seconds has passed. The malicious code included into CCleaner then establishes contact with a Command and Control (C2) server. From there the C2 server can then send the actual payload if commanded.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

I've personally used it because my knowledge of registry, temp files that are safe to delete and optimizations are limited. And as noted, it works a bit more thoroughly than Disk cleanup. I'm too busy focusing on hardware anyways (fortunately I haven't used it personally on my computer in more than a year, nor put it on any computer since 2016)

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  Board: Asus PRIME X570-P  Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2x8) DDR4-3000  Case: Fractal Design Define S

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070  SSD: HP EX950 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM

PSU: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 750W  Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4  Monitor: Viotek GFT27DB 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz

I was playing Mass Effect Andromeda multiplayer today, and it was lagging like crazy

Closed CCleaner and it was smooth as silk again.

Dunno if the had anything to do with it.

Desktop

Y4M1-II: AMD Ryzen 9-5900X | Asrock RX 6900XT Phantom Gaming D | Gigabyte RTX 4060 low profile | 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws V | 2TB Samsung 980 Pro + 4TB 870 EVO + 4TB SanDisk Ultra 3D + 8TB WD Black + 4TB WD Black HDD | Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL-X | Antec ST1000 1000W 80+ Titanium | MSI Optix MAG342CQR | BenQ EW3270U | Kubuntu

-------------------------------

Mobile devices

Kuroneko: Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga 4th (Intel i7-10510U | 16GB RAM | 1TB SSD)

Definitely sucks when it happens to software that is to help clean pc though. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

On 9/18/2017 at 8:25 AM, Arokhantos said:

Ccleaner is from the windows 95 era, why we still need app like this anyway, heck if not used it in years since the tools are all inside windows anyway to clean everything up :D

On 9/18/2017 at 8:53 AM, hey_yo_ said:

There's a thing called Disk Cleanup

As others have said already, Disk Cleanup doesn't remove all the temp files.  CCleaner will also clean temp files from your browsers, not just Windows (just for one example).

On 9/18/2017 at 12:44 PM, SpaceGhostC2C said:

I've never seen Disk Cleanup perform a registry cleanup, which in my opinion was the main true reason for CCleaner's existence.

Personally, I strongly advise against using the registry cleaner.  I haven't trusted any of them since the Win9x days (and even then, I only used them sparingly).

1 hour ago, Jito463 said:

Personally, I strongly advise against using the registry cleaner.  I haven't trusted any of them since the Win9x days (and even then, I only used them sparingly).

I see no reason for that. The registry cleaner will list everything it plans to remove for you to check before doing anything, so it's only as unsafe as you wan to make it. And it offers to back up the current registry, so...

Not that there is any problem with clicking clean all, no backup please anyway :P 

Registry cleaning is the only thing I use it for, I would have no use for CCleaner otherwise.