Google replacing the Nexus 6p with Pixel XLs past warranty

Big Head Tech

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/09/13/google-offering-nexus-6p-owners-pixel-xl-warranty-replacement/

So to preface how I stumbled into this my fiance the other day decided to jump ship from Apple despite being a long time supporter because she prefers open source. I had a Nexus 6p that I purchased on 12/23/15 and used it til I got a pixel in November and since I haven't used it. 2 days ago she activated my 6p to see if she should switch to the pixel 2 when it comes out. She likes it but the battery is garbage probably due to sitting around. We called our local phone repair shop and they said $70 to replace the battery. That was a great price but I called Google first.

The Nexus 6P is one of those phones that had high initial quality, but it hasn't withstood the test of time very well. This phone has been plagued by battery issues that cause it to randomly shut off. Those who bought their phones from the Google Store have reported success not only with getting the phone replaced, but replaced with a Pixel XL.

So we went ahead and called google.  We explained that we factory 3 days ago and have minimum apps. Battery saver makes it worse. They said that since I purchased it from Google (found my receipt) we qualified for a special exchange program.

There have been sporadic reports for months of 6P owners getting Pixels back from Google, but now it seems like a near certainty in some places. People swapping out a defective Nexus 6P in the US and Canada apparently have a very high chance of getting a Pixel. Some in the UK are still receiving refurbished Nexus 6Ps, and it sounds like everyone in Australia is still getting a 6P back. The exact nature of the upgrade seems to vary as well. Some are being offered 32GB Pixel XLs, while others get the 128GB variant. The upgraded 64GB 6P seems to afford a higher chance of the larger capacity.

That's when I googled around and found this posted today. The phone order should be sent to me shortly. She's beyond happy about it but it's legit.

Google is doing this for defective phones, even outside of the original 1-year warranty. Just head to the support menu on your phone or the website to get in touch. Remember, this is only for phones bought from the Google Store. Replacement devices will be sent out as an "advance exchange," so you get it before mailing the old phone back. Google will do a pre-authorization on your credit card in the amount of the replacement phone. Make sure you send the old one back to avoid being charged.

This is really awesome that they are doing this even 9 months past the 1 year warranty.  To my credit, I wanted to buy googles coverage but after they ship it you cannot add it on, you have to return the phone and repurchase it.  They did do a preauthorized debt on my card for $770+tax but I just received the email to confirm my order.  She is beyond happy!

proof.png

OP please adjust your post to meet the guidelines.

When creating a thread in the News subforum, please make sure your post meets the following criteria:

• Your thread must include some original input to tell the reader why it is relevant to them, and what your personal opinion on the topic is. This needs to be MORE than just a quick, single comment to meet the posting guidelines.
  • Your thread must include a link to at least one reputable source. Most of the time, this should be a respected news site.
  • Your thread should also include quotes from the cited source(s). While you shouldn't just copy the entire article, your quote should give the reader a summary of the article in a way that gives the key details, but also leaves room for them to read the full article on the linked website. Please use quote tags (the speech bubble at the top of the editor, under the  :)) to show that you have copied this content from another site.
  • The title of your thread must be relevant to the topic and should give a reader a good idea of the contents of the thread. Copying the title of the source is permitted but absolutely not required. It should be to the point and not be done in such a way as to mislead a reader, such as clickbait, etc.
  • If your article is about a product or some form of media, images are always appreciated, although they are not required.

Failure to comply may result in your thread being locked or removed without warning.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

10 minutes ago, JDE said:

Not news format

7 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

OP please adjust your post to meet the guidelines.

On mobile will fix when I get to the desktop.

27 minutes ago, Belgarathian said:

Please fix night theme.

It's actually working just fine on night theme

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

2 hours ago, Snaeb said:

** SNIP **

I was gonna put snip in black or dark gray (instead of automatic), but mobile leaves off some editing controls. :/

Screenshot_20170913-215820.thumb.png.d86ba9296ed67d4007824e659aa51e68.png

30 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

I can't believe I'm saying this but please fix for day theme users ?

Agreed!

How do you read this, in the quotes??

Screenshot_20170913-215420.thumb.png.4eb7b733d78c6c83c9f5dddcc5bfdcd0.png

1 minute ago, PianoPlayer88Key said:

Agreed!

How do you read this, in the quotes??

I think OP is trolling the minority here which is Day theme users. #DayThemeUsersMatter 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

while that's pretty neat of google to do that, but how the heck do you yanks live with 1 year warranties.

Intel i5-6600K@4.2GHz, 16GB Crucial DDR4-2133, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, Be quiet shadow rock slim, Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ OC, Fractal design Integra M 550W, NZXT S340, Sandisk X110 128GB, WD black 750GB, Seagate momentus 160GB, HGST 160GB

19 minutes ago, ashypanda said:

while that's pretty neat of google to do that, but how the heck do you yanks live with 1 year warranties.

Warranties? I thought those only existed in order to properly void them :P 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

So it doesn't work if you get it from a third party store. No luck for me if mine were to break.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

6 hours ago, hey_yo_ said:

I can't believe I'm saying this but please fix for day theme users ?

Finally a victory for knight theme users!

OT: Lucky for NA 6p users, but nothing is free.   I'd be very suspicious of poison pills from google in the form of unholy degrees of tracking and monitoring (that is their business model after all)

6 hours ago, ashypanda said:

Consumer protection is a joke here. But we are also sure happy AF as well so that probably offsets it.

5 hours ago, MageTank said:

Warranties? I thought those only existed in order to properly void them :P 

I know right!!!

4 hours ago, Mihle said:

So it doesn't work if you get it from a third party store. No luck for me if mine where to break.

Ya I'm glad that when I went to Best buy they didn't stock it u til after Christmas so I was forced to buy it from Google direct.

2 hours ago, JAKEBAB said:

US and Canada surprise, surprise -_-

We only get a one year warranty and they send us refurbished electronics so I guess we can call it even.

I still have my 6p and I got  it from Google directly. This is technically my third one tho ? the others broke in different ways. Anyway maybe I should call Google and see if I can get that exchange ?