Delidded Core i9-7920X

kachel94

Looks like Der8auer is at it again tearing apart massive CPUs.

Weirdly enough the CPU looks glued to another PCB, this design suspiciously looks like some form of Xeon has been glued to an enthusiast grade 2066 socket. Who else thinks this?

The Core i9-7920X is the first photo in the series. The die rests on an interposer (the topmost PCB), which Intel connects to another underlying PCB. That layered design makes delidding Skylake-X chips more difficult than delidding a "regular" chip. Typically, you can use a simple razor blade to pop off the IHS (Integrated Heat Spreader), thus exposing the die. However, the stacked interposer introduces another layer of glue to the design, so you have to use a dedicated delidding tool.

My suspicion is there's possibly a BGA style interconnect between the layers.

Source: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-i9-7920x-delid-die-skylake-x,35406.html

Asus Z77 Sabertooth, Intel Core i5 3570k 4.2 GHz, EVGA GTX 780, Corsair Vengeance 16Gb ,

Samsung EVO 250&500Gb, Western Digital Black 2TB,  Corsair RM 750

Custom Water Loop

CPU Block Koolance 380iGPU Block EKWB Clean CSQPump Laing DDC w/ EKWB X-RES 100Radiatiors NexXxoS Monsta 240 & Swiftech 240x35Tubing PrimoChill Primoflex Advanced LRT Elegant White 3/8" ID 5/8" ODFittings White Monsoon Free Centre Compression Fittings 3/8" ID 5/8" ODFans6x Noctua NF-F12 w/Noctua LNA Adaptors

Dear lord that is the most hilarious thing I've ever seen.  

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

15 minutes ago, kachel94 said:

design suspiciously looks like some form of Xeon has been glued to an enthusiast grade 2066 socket. Who else thinks this?

I would... but the Xeon socket is bigger than 2066.

I wonder if the Xeons will have this same dual-PCB design, and if it can be proven that they are the exact same chip, by swapping the top-layer PCB between the two. that would be awesome.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

Is this a joke??? It seems intel ran out of ideas. It's like getting a socketed pcb then getting the actual CPU pcb and glueing them together. Wow, intel did done mega stupid job here...

13 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Dear lord that is the most hilarious thing I've ever seen.  

7 minutes ago, MadOverclocker said:

Is this a joke??? It seems intel ran out of ideas. It's like getting a socketed pcb then getting the actual CPU pcb and glueing them together. Wow, intel did done mega stupid job here...

They did the same thing with all the other skylake x CPUs, you know....

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

So... Intel calls AMD's cpus "glued together", then they go and glue their mainstream cpus ontop of a bigger pcb, with a larger heatspreader, and call it "extreme edition" with a higher price tag for everything to do with it?

This is something I would expect to see on a Saturday night live skit lmao

Fanboys are the worst thing to happen to the tech community World. Chief among them are Apple fanboys. 

17 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

I would... but the Xeon socket is bigger than 2066.

I wonder if the Xeons will have this same dual-PCB design, and if it can be proven that they are the exact same chip, by swapping the top-layer PCB between the two. that would be awesome.

Not quite. There are Xeon's on socket 2066. Xeon-W is basically every X299 SKU you've seen thus far, with overclocking turned off. The LGA3647 Xeon's will also have quad core variants, which should look extremely silly once delidded (if they are not soldered like the larger 3647 Xeon's).

What surprises me, is how everyone here is ignoring the fact that Broadwell-E had this exact same layered substrate. Why are we pretending this is something entirely new? Even the article fails to mention that fact. Here we have the 6950X (top) and 5960X (bottom):

Image result for 6950x delid

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

17 minutes ago, MageTank said:

What surprises me, is how everyone here is ignoring the fact that Broadwell-E had this exact same layered substrate. Why are we pretending this is something entirely new? Even the article fails to mention that fact. Here we have the 6950X (top) and 5960X (bottom):

That kind of confirms the simplest explanation, namely

The interposer allows Intel to mix and match different die into the same socket. 

although I was hoping for something more intriguing :P 

Also, this passage drew my attention:

Intel also released new microcode for its Skylake-X processors recently, which reduces performance in some titles and lowers the AVX offset by two bins, which is likely designed to address the recent thermal issues.

but the link provided is broken (it goes to Threadripper's review instead of a news article on Intel's microcode o.O), so I don't know what's the deal.

1 hour ago, MageTank said:

ses me, is how everyone here is ignoring the fact that Broadwell-E had this exact same layered substrate. Why are we pretending this is something entirely new? Even the article fails to mention that fact. Here we have the 6950X (top) and 5960X (bottom):

Image result for 6950x delid

Because people are always quick to have a derisory did at company "X" and never quick to do some research first. 

EDIT: I think the reality is that there are only a few people on these forums who actually understand anything more deeply than model/performance numbers.  Everyone else just parrots the same assumed nonsense the last person said.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.