Sharp is getting ready to sell their 8K TV's

BlazingBlob

According to the article, they're gonna be coming out at a price of about 9.000USD which is actually way less than the first 4K TVs cost. I remember seeing Sony and Samsung sets for upwards of 20.000USD.

For 9.000USD I can see this screen being useful and a worthy purchase for some professional applications, but that's about it for now. The 4K adoption rate is still ridiculously small, but prices have come down significantly in the last couple years so that should start to change. We're already seeing 4K sets at as little as a 20% premium over FHD sets. 

Corsair 600T | Intel Core i7-4770K @ 4.5GHz | Samsung SSD Evo 970 1TB | MS Windows 10 | Samsung CF791 34" | 16GB 1600 MHz Kingston DDR3 HyperX | ASUS Formula VI | Corsair H110  Corsair AX1200i | ASUS Strix Vega 56 8GB Internet http://beta.speedtest.net/result/4365368180

2 hours ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Ermmm cheapo 4K TVs are already then same price as cheapo 1080p TVs so...can it really get any cheaper? :D (unless £250-275 vs £300 is such a big difference that you need 4K TVs to be £50 cheaper). 

I mean better quality 4k

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

@Terodius Most will probably be bought by hospitals, architects and 2D/3D engineers, that was the case when 4K was started to be available.

WS: 13900K - 128GB - 6.5TB SSD - RTX 3090 24GB - 42" LG OLED C2  - W11 Pro
LAPTOP: Lenovo Gaming 3 - 8GB - 512GB SSD - GTX 1650

NAS 1: HP MicroServer Gen8 - 32TB - FreeNAS

NAS 2: 10400F - 44TB - FreeNAS

18 minutes ago, Mihle said:

I mean better quality 4k

Well if you've ever seen one of those cheapo 4K displays IRL, the actual display is actually pretty good but the interface and build really is questionable so...I guess?

Also, looking at trends for 1080p TVs, 4 or 5 years ago, we bought a 32" samsung 1080p smart TV for £375 (okay, it was discounted from £550 but it was a 3+ month long sale so I think its fair to call £375 was the actual price). If we were to buy an very similar TV now (regardless of brand), it would cost about £325 minimum (more like £350) so...looking at trends, its possible that the prices for TVs won't drop nor would the quality would improve much. 

On a side note:

When I say similar, I mean...

- Has smart TV functionality.

- Is similar in slimness as most cheapo TV is twice (if not more) as thick as our 32" TV and isn't made for the crappiest feeling plastic ever.

- Is 1080p and has a decent panel (currently I've not seen any sub £400 TV's panel match or beat it).

And yes, I am looking to buy a 32-43" 1080p/4K sub £400 TV right now (just moved to a new house and got my first bedroom ever...in the UK else second) which is why I'm able to say for sure that at least for 1080p TVs, not much has changed in 5 years.

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

11 hours ago, hoboX10 said:

I will never understand people complaining about stuff like this. "We don't have 8K content and barely even have 4K! What's the point!"

The point is that content creation won't get pushed forward until consumers start asking for/needing it. The more people with 4K and 8K TV's, the faster its use will roll out.

There was hardly any 720p content and virtually no 1080p content when HDTV's first hit the market. 

This was my prediction for years, all the way back in 2010. That 4K TV's would hit the market but become the "720p" of the next generation, where 8K will roll out just a few years after and become the norm. I believe that 8K TV's will be where the resolution race pauses for a while again, 10 or so years like 1080p sat as king, before companies attempt pushing it higher again.

And that's a GOOD thing.

yes I completely agree, progression is great, personally, i was 'complaining' because i wanted to spark a conversation, however, i do think it is unnecessary to make it a full consumer TV. I think they should have made a couple and showed them off at CES just to say "hey look we have 8K TV's ".

12 hours ago, aerandir92 said:

Since Japan is going to broadcast part of the 2020 Olympics in 8K, I guess it's smart to get a few TVs out so they can start pushing extremely hardcore sports fans to buy it. 

NHK also plans to start "full scale" 8K broadcasting in 2018, so this TV is then just in time. 

NHK already broadcasted Rio Olympics in 8K (only some sports where they had their crew and cameras). People could go to some of the NHK locations to watch it. They even broadcasted a much smaller part of London Olympics in 8K. The plan for 2020 is to cover everything in 8K.

13 hours ago, aerandir92 said:

Since Japan is going to broadcast part of the 2020 Olympics in 8K, I guess it's smart to get a few TVs out so they can start pushing extremely hardcore sports fans to buy it. 

NHK also plans to start "full scale" 8K broadcasting in 2018, so this TV is then just in time. 

NHK already broadcasted Rio Olympics in 8K (only some sports where they had their crew and cameras). People could go to some of the NHK locations to watch it. They even broadcasted a much smaller part of London Olympics in 8K. The plan for 2020 is to cover everything in 8K.

6 minutes ago, Niksa said:

is that like 8 Red cameras per stadium, the initial investment would be insane or are there other cameras that do 8K?

1 hour ago, BlazingBlob said:

is that like 8 Red cameras per stadium, the initial investment would be insane or are there other cameras that do 8K?

Resolution in and of itself is hardly an obstacle anymore, as far as recording goes. Smartphones today can record 4k video. (Though actual quality of the output is another matter entirely)

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

8 hours ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

And yes, I am looking to buy a 32-43" 1080p/4K sub £400 TV right now (just moved to a new house and got my first bedroom ever...in the UK else second) which is why I'm able to say for sure that at least for 1080p TVs, not much has changed in 5 years.

The thing is, you'll be had pressed to see the benefits of 4K with such a small size. 4K shines in large TVs 55 inches and up. Below that I don't see a justification for it as long as you're sitting at reasonable distances from your PC.

Corsair 600T | Intel Core i7-4770K @ 4.5GHz | Samsung SSD Evo 970 1TB | MS Windows 10 | Samsung CF791 34" | 16GB 1600 MHz Kingston DDR3 HyperX | ASUS Formula VI | Corsair H110  Corsair AX1200i | ASUS Strix Vega 56 8GB Internet http://beta.speedtest.net/result/4365368180

8 hours ago, BlazingBlob said:

yes I completely agree, progression is great, personally, i was 'complaining' because i wanted to spark a conversation, however, i do think it is unnecessary to make it a full consumer TV. I think they should have made a couple and showed them off at CES just to say "hey look we have 8K TV's ".

Happened quite some years ago afaik. We are just are the consumer level point now. 

6 hours ago, BlazingBlob said:

NHK uses Ikegami stuff mostly, not RED. Ikegami, probably Canon, Fujifilm and others being a Japanese companies will probably contribute in that.  

https://www.ikegami.com/archives/menu1/shk-810

That is a standard NHK issue 8K Ikegami camera.

For a forum full of people that love technology, each news about new technology receives an incredible amount of hate and negativity. I like some things from this community but man, Reddit has more positive and constructive people by far.

15 minutes ago, Tiz said:

For a forum full of people that love technology, each news about new technology receives an incredible amount of hate and negativity. I like some things from this community but man, Reddit has more positive and constructive people by far.

I don't get it either, do people feel threatened because they can't afford it? They shouldn't, very, very few people can. 

Do they hate progress? Do they hate Sharp? It's a god damn mystery to me. 

On 9/4/2017 at 1:27 AM, Mooshi said:

You're starring at a stationary image in front of you regardless.

"2D tv"..all stationary displays are 2 dimensional outside of VR where you can actually look around in a 3 dimensional space--if you wanna discuss actual dimensions.

If you draw a cube on a piece of paper vs a square, the object is still viewed on the same flat surface. Same for 3D movies, it's an optical illusion.

no need to hate. he enjoys his 3-D tv. let him. no need to try to convert him to something else

Main Rig | Personal Build | Windows 10 | R7 2700x 3.7~4.3ghz | ASUS ROG Strix B450-I | 16gb DDR4 3200mhz | GTX 1080 FE | Coolermaster Elite 130 | Corsair H60 | WD Blue SN500 500GB NVMe SSD + 1tb WD Green HDD + 1tb WD Blue HDD

Laptop | HP m6-w102dx | Windows 10 | i7-5500u 2.4~3.0ghz | 8gb DDR3L | GT 930m 2gb| 120gb Sandisk SSD

Phone | Pixel 3 | Verizon | 64gb

4 hours ago, Tiz said:

its wierd. technology like this may not be practical or be bought by consumers, but the amount of pixels on a single display is cool. its like the enormous SSD's. almost nobody is gonna buy them but as a new piece of emerging tech, man its sick

Main Rig | Personal Build | Windows 10 | R7 2700x 3.7~4.3ghz | ASUS ROG Strix B450-I | 16gb DDR4 3200mhz | GTX 1080 FE | Coolermaster Elite 130 | Corsair H60 | WD Blue SN500 500GB NVMe SSD + 1tb WD Green HDD + 1tb WD Blue HDD

Laptop | HP m6-w102dx | Windows 10 | i7-5500u 2.4~3.0ghz | 8gb DDR3L | GT 930m 2gb| 120gb Sandisk SSD

Phone | Pixel 3 | Verizon | 64gb