AMD Radeon RX Vega 56 leaked benchmarks: GTX 1070 killer

Mr_Troll
11 minutes ago, zMeul said:

Seems like they took minimums and not averages, which would be in accordance with the numbers you gave :)

18 minutes ago, zMeul said:

the the GTX1070 numbers are pulled out of AMD's ass

some peeps on reddit got the more realistic GTX1070 numbers:

yeah ...

Those are 1080p benchmarks that you shared, this is 1440p...

edit: only bf1 was

Edited by GatioH

16 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

No, that isn't, they're tested at the foundry and any less than 64 quality chips would be taken, tested, and, even though maybe one unit is dysfunctional, have the required 8 lasered off the die, as they can cause serious issues if they're present and defective. 

they do laser some off, but most of the time you can still enable other ones, for example the fury cards could go up to 60 compute units 

If Vega was this strong AMD wouldn't be hiding their performance with blind tests and monitor rebates instead of just showing this. 

They would be spamming the fuck out of the numbers everywhere like they're doing with Threadripper. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

18 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

Seems like they took minimums and not averages, which would be in accordance with the numbers you gave :)

sais who!? nowhere in the article is specifically mentioned min

8 minutes ago, zMeul said:

sais who!? nowhere in the article is specifically mentioned min

Says nobody, I looked through your numbers in your sources, and if it's minimums it's the same numbers approximately than the tweak town article, hence why I said that :)

will kitguru write an article how unfair it is that tweaktown got an exclusive inside leak?  Maybe we should gather a few tweets about how unfair the world is.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Well what happens when mining ends, 1070's go back down to $325-$350, and these have a real cost of around $425 for most aftermarket cards. That's what i imagine will happen

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX
  2. Lenovo Z40 i5-4200U GT 820M 6 GB RAM 840 EVO 120 GB
  3. Moto X4 G.Skill 32 GB Micro SD Spigen Case Project Fi

i WANT this to be true, becuse that would make Vega 64 a decent buy instead of a 1080 for me, but i doubt it

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

18 minutes ago, AHaskin14 said:

Well what happens when mining ends, 1070's go back down to $325-$350, and these have a real cost of around $425 for most aftermarket cards. That's what i imagine will happen

Heck, I regularly saw a couple of them go for 295-300 before then.

1 hour ago, zMeul said:

yeah ...

That entirely depends on the testing environment, besides your BF1 bench is 105.3 FPS? It was tested at 1440p as said in OP so it should be Source: 83.3 FPS (As I suspect the test in OP was compared in DX12 to favor Vega even more)

As for Doom & Civilization VI, the benchmarks you linked don't specify what API it ran so it's hard to conclude on that.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

1 hour ago, Lord Nicoll said:

It's not the same chip, the Frontier Edition had some gaming centric units disabled in order to ship Vega in the 2nd Quarter.

[Citation Needed]

edit: I should note that TBR can be sort of enabled by driver updates but it won't be entirely the same, and when I say different silicon chip, I mean the stepping process and yields, the actual design is probably unchanged

Can you please explain to me what the difference between TBR being "sort of enabled by driver updates" would be, compared to what AMD has done with TBR on Vega RX?

Note the edit I made, the stepping has changed, as in yields are better and it's made better, it IS the same design, but a few tiny revisions where made, probably relating to native TBR instead of the driver workout Frontier will be using when they work it out. The native one is still better, as its got some more support components. 

[Citation Needed]

Can you please explain the difference between "native TBR" and the "driver workout Frontier will be using"?

3 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

[Citation Needed]

Can you please explain to me what the difference between TBR being "sort of enabled by driver updates" would be, compared to what AMD has done with TBR on Vega RX?

[Citation Needed]

Can you please explain the difference between "native TBR" and the "driver workout Frontier will be using"?

I think I can explain all of these for AMD enthusiasts with just 2 words: Wishful Thinking.

-------

Current Rig

-------

17 minutes ago, Dylanc1500 said:

Heck, I regularly saw a couple of them go for 295-300 before then.

For sure! Meanwhile I was mid upgrade when they were coming out and had already sold my old 770 so I dropped $375 on my FE as soon as I could find one in stock. But that was still when the FE's were a premium card. (I wanted a blower card and couldn't wait for the cheaper blowers to come out)

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX
  2. Lenovo Z40 i5-4200U GT 820M 6 GB RAM 840 EVO 120 GB
  3. Moto X4 G.Skill 32 GB Micro SD Spigen Case Project Fi

1 hour ago, Misanthrope said:

If Vega was this strong AMD wouldn't be hiding their performance with blind tests and monitor rebates instead of just showing this. 

They would be spamming the fuck out of the numbers everywhere like they're doing with Threadripper. 

Alternatively, because VEGA is capable of going toe to toe with Pascal in gaming, pulling ahead in productivity, and unattractive to mining, Nvidia might recognize it as a viable threat. Difference between Intel and Nvidia, there is still bounds of GPU performance to gain between generations, and they have working Volta.

If AMD cued Nvidia off, Nvidia would push up the launch of x70 and x80 Volta.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

Alternatively, because VEGA is capable of going toe to toe with Pascal in gaming, pulling ahead in productivity, and unattractive to mining, Nvidia might recognize it as a viable threat. Difference between Intel and Nvidia, there is still bounds of GPU performance to gain between generations, and they have working Volta.

If AMD cued Nvidia off, Nvidia would push up the launch of x70 and x80 Volta.

Where did those leaps and bounds went during Fiji then? 

Don't get me wrong I would like them to push Nvidia to 1 up them, it's just so unlikely to happen we've seen nothing officially from them and at this point is ridiculous.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Just now, Misanthrope said:

Where did those leaps and bounds went during Fiji then? 

I said it can be, not necessarily that it will happen.

That's also part of the aftermath of "gpus dead, apus 5eva"

1 minute ago, Misanthrope said:

Don't get me wrong I would like them to push Nvidia to 1 up them, it's just so unlikely to happen we've seen nothing officially from them and at this point is ridiculous.

We want Nvidia to push new product, but not wipe AMD from the consumer GPU space.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 hour ago, Humbug said:

Yes it will be enabled by driver updates, cause Vega FE already has the required hardware.

So then why won't TBR be entirely the same? What difference do you expect between TBR on Vega Rx vs TBR on Vega FE

immediate mode rasterization is currently in use, it's unclear if the chips have bad TBR or if the drivers weren't ready and it can be fully implemented in time, if it isn't I'd be worried, but by no means surprised, after all, the FE was clearly a rushed launch. 

AMD said at the launch of RX Vega all currently disabled features in Vega FE will be enabled, they are the same Vega 64 chip. My guess is the released driver pack will also firmware update Vega FE enabling the features that are not currently enabled. They could also be disabled in the drivers but I'd expect AMD would do it at the firmware level to stop anyone trying to force it on etc.

AMD also did not directly give any performance increase expectations for Vega FE either, other than 'some improvement'. I do expect a performance improvement but most of this will likely come from the lowered power usage allowing the GPU to boost to it's proper full power state which currently almost never happens.

The only actual difference I have heard from AMD/tech publications (from official AMD info) is that RX Vega uses different voltage stepping and power states than Vega FE.

Well I'm just here waiting to sell my 1070 since about 6 people been nagging me to buy it since the day I got it. Just waiting for actual reviews and AIB cards before I decide to sell  this.

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

Vega die size is huge as fuck, Nvidia have been spending their money optimising their architectures to be smaller, cheaper to manufacture and more power efficient while AMD have been trying to catch up with half the R&D budget. 

This shit better be good or AMD will barely break even 

idk

Im just waiting to see what the bigger vega gpu's can do. Unless it can beat my titan X's on water I'll be waiting to upgrade then.

2 hours ago, zMeul said:

yeah ...

With my i5 at 4.2Gh and 2400mhz on DDR3 I average around 90-95 at ultra settings DX 11 and 1080x2560 UW resolution, but what settings where used on this leaks?

//Case: Phanteks 400 TGE //Mobo: Asus x470-F Strix //CPU: R5 2600X //CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i v2 //RAM: G-Skill RGB 3200mhz //HDD: WD Caviar Black 1tb //SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 250Gb //GPU: GTX 1050 Ti //PSU: Seasonic MII EVO m2 520W

7 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

Vega die size is huge as fuck, Nvidia have been spending their money optimising their architectures to be smaller, cheaper to manufacture and more power efficient while AMD have been trying to catch up with half the R&D budget. 

This shit better be good or AMD will barely break even 

Not too much bigger than GP102, 484mm2 (est/rumor) vs 471mm2. GM200 was also 601mm2 and GK110 551mm2. If you want big though look at GV100 at 815mm2 up from GP100 610mm2, but those are compute GPUs for servers not for gaming and have full FP64 and Tensor in the case of GV100 which is where most of that size increase comes from.