AMD Radeon RX Vega 56 leaked benchmarks: GTX 1070 killer

Mr_Troll

AMD Radeon RX Vega 56: the new $400 mainstream king

AMD announced their new Radeon RX Vega 64 and RX Vega 56 graphics cards, but didn't provide too many details about benchmark numbers in games - but I've got the solution to that.
amd-radeon-rx-vega-56-leaked-benchmarks-gtx-1070-killer_26

An industry source of mine has provided me with some raw benchmark numbers on Radeon RX Vega 56, which looks to be the new $400 mainstream king, beating the GTX 1070 in some of the biggest games on the market. My source said that the RX Vega 56 card was running on an Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2GHz, had 16GB of DDR4-3000MHz RAM, and was running Windows 10.   The benchmarks were run at 2560x1440 with the AMD Radeon RX Vega 56 easily beating NVIDIA's GeForce GTX 1070 in Battlefield 1, DOOM, Civilization 6, and even Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare. My source said that Battlefield 1 was run on Ultra settings, Civ 6 was on Ultra with 4x MSAA, DOOM was at Ultra with 8x TSAA enabled, and COD:IW was running on its High preset.  

Radeon RX Vega 56 benchmark results:

Battlefield 1: 95.4FPS (GTX 1070: 72.2FPS)

Civilization 6: 85.1FPS (GTX 1070: 72.2FPS)

DOOM: 101.2FPS (GTX 1070: 84.6FPS)

COD:IW: 99.9FPS (GTX 1070: 92.1FPS)

As you can see, the Radeon RX Vega 56 is quite the potent monster at $399... where it not only trades blows with the GeForce GTX 1070, but slaps it around considerably. It looks like we can expect the RX Vega 56 to be a huge 32% faster than the GTX 1070 in BF1 at 1440p.   DOOM results are also interesting, with AMD taking a commanding 20% lead over the GTX 1070 with the RX Vega 56.   We will have the cards in our hands as soon as humanly possible, where I'll be taking the RX Vega 56 and RX Vega 64 through their paces.

too good to be true?

Source: http://www.tweaktown.com/news/58635/amd-radeon-rx-vega-56-leaked-benchmarks-gtx-1070-killer/index.html

Intel Core i7 7800x @ 5.0 Ghz with 1.305 volts (really good chip), Mesh OC @ 3.3 Ghz, Fractal Design Celsius S36, Asrock X299 Killer SLI/ac, 16 GB Adata XPG Z1 OCed to  3600 Mhz , Aorus  RX 580 XTR 8G, Samsung 950 evo, Win 10 Home - loving it :D

Had a Ryzen before ... but  a bad bios flash killed it :(

MSI GT72S Dominator Pro G - i7 6820HK, 980m SLI, Gsync, 1080p, 16 GB RAM, 2x128 GB SSD + 1TB HDD, Win 10 home

How much power does it use? I mean when I volt mod nvidia cards they loose all the fancy thermal and power control and end up sucking as much power, but that's expected, I think AMD VEGA is for the hardcore game who wants raw muscle power, and I love it for that. 

Yours faithfully

too good to be true?

It sure is. I highly doubt it's close to the truth, maybe in DOOM but not in every other game... It's the level of performance I'd expect from a Vega 64 GPU.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Just now, Morgan MLGman said:

It sure is. I highly doubt it's close to the truth, maybe in DOOM but not in every other game... It's the level of performance I'd expect from a Vega 64 GPU.

The RX Vega chips are more powerful then the Frontier edition, have better power management and also better drivers, so it's understandable you'd see a possible like 15% perofrmnace boost, which would bring them up to GTX 1070 for the 56 and GTX 1080 level for the 64, but they would use more power. 

Yours faithfully

4 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

The RX Vega chips are more powerful then the Frontier edition, have better power management and also better drivers, so it's understandable you'd see a possible like 15% perofrmnace boost, which would bring them up to GTX 1070 for the 56 and GTX 1080 level for the 64, but they would use more power. 

They're not more powerful than FE, it's the same chip (Vega 56 is a cut-down version). They're just optimized for gaming as that's the target audience of those cards so I could expect higher performance in games, however have a look at this:

Radeon RX Vega 56 benchmark results:

Battlefield 1: 95.4FPS (GTX 1070: 72.2FPS)

Civilization 6: 85.1FPS (GTX 1070: 72.2FPS)

DOOM: 101.2FPS (GTX 1070: 84.6FPS)

COD:IW: 99.9FPS (GTX 1070: 92.1FPS)

Those scores would make the Vega 56 around a 1080 in performance (comparing relatively to what 1070 scored in those games and how much the 1080 is faster than a 1070) which I doubt is going to be true. Though I certainly do have hope! ^_^

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Considering gtx 1070 costs $450, rx vega 56 has approximately 30% more performance/$, which is cool.

DOOM FPS seems low to me. I'll assume it's not Vulkan (Getting 20-30 more FPS on an RX 480 with everything maxed out)

nvm. didn't notice resolution tested.

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

if you look at fury vs fury x perf you will see that many times its perf is very similar

1 minute ago, revsilverspine said:

DOOM FPS seems low to me. I'll assume it's not Vulkan (Getting 20-30 more FPS on an RX 480 with everything maxed out)

it depends on where it was tested 

8 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

They're not more powerful than FE, it's the same chip (Vega 56 is a cut-down version). They're just optimized for gaming as that's the target audience of those cards so I could expect higher performance in games, however have a look at this:

Those scores would make the Vega 56 around a 1080 in performance (comparing relatively to what 1070 scored in those games and how much the 1080 is faster than a 1070) which I doubt is going to be true. Though I certainly do have hope! ^_^

It's not the same chip, the Frontier Edition had some gaming centric units disabled in order to ship Vega in the 2nd Quarter. The Frontier edition is missing Tile Based Rasterization, while it's difficult to gauge the impact this would have, it would be application dependant. 

edit: I should note that TBR can be sort of enabled by driver updates but it won't be entirely the same, and when I say different silicon chip, I mean the stepping process and yields, the actual design is probably unchanged

Edited by Lord Nicoll

Yours faithfully

1 minute ago, cj09beira said:

it depends on where it was tested 

I edited it. I assumed it was 1080p, which it isn't.

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

11 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

If this is true, I wonder if the driver they used had this enabled (unlike the Vega FE)

draw-stream-binning-rasterizer-100702191-large.jpg.feff4a965bca7be5583a755c1892cdd6.jpg

OMG OMG if this is real!

The RX 64 must be at least close or equal to the 1080 Ti, the liquid cooled at least .-.

Groomlake Authority

6 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

It's not the same chip, the Frontier Edition had some gaming centric units disabled in order to ship Vega in the 2nd Quarter. The Frontier edition is missing Tile Based Rasterization, while it's difficult to gauge the impact this would have, it would be application dependant. 

I think it is the same chip. What AMD said was that some new features like Tile Based Rasterizer and Power saving Optimizations were not enabled because they weren't ready.

So once RX vega ships expect Vega FE to get a small boost from the new drivers.

Just now, Humbug said:

I think it is the same chip. What AMD said was that some new features like Tile Based Rasterizer and Power saving Optimizations were not enabled because they weren't ready.

So once RX vega ships expect Vega FE to get a small boost from the new drivers.

Note the edit I made, the stepping has changed, as in yields are better and it's made better, it IS the same design, but a few tiny revisions where made, probably relating to native TBR instead of the driver workout Frontier will be using when they work it out. The native one is still better, as its got some more support components. 

Yours faithfully

its probably not a new stepping, although since they had working silicon since January, they could have pulled of a new stepping.

my guess is that it needs driver and firmware support, so they disabled it to get the product out earlier 

2 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

Note the edit I made, the stepping has changed, as in yields are better and it's made better, it IS the same design, but a few tiny revisions where made, probably relating to native TBR instead of the driver workout Frontier will be using when they work it out. The native one is still better, as its got some more support components. 

is it really a new stepping? where did you saw that info?

Just now, cj09beira said:

is it really a new stepping? where did you saw that info?

Due to NDA's it isn't confirmed, but rumoured, however they usually have many different models, the fact they have as 56 unit chip now too means they've added more silicon, I doubt you'd get to 100% confirm the new stepping and what it's called. 

Yours faithfully

Just now, Lord Nicoll said:

Due to NDA's it isn't confirmed, but rumoured, however they usually have many different models, the fact they have as 56 unit chip now too means they've added more silicon, I doubt you'd get to 100% confirm the new stepping and what it's called. 

the 56 cus ship is the same silicon with disabled cores, which is something done in the gpu's bios 

the the GTX1070 numbers are pulled out of AMD's ass

some peeps on reddit got the more realistic GTX1070 numbers:

yeah ...

20 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

edit: I should note that TBR can be sort of enabled by driver updates but it won't be entirely the same, and when I say different silicon chip, I mean the stepping process and yields, the actual design is probably unchanged

Yes it will be enabled by driver updates, cause Vega FE already has the required hardware.

So then why won't TBR be entirely the same? What difference do you expect between TBR on Vega Rx vs TBR on Vega FE

5 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

the 56 cus ship is the same silicon with disabled cores, which is something done in the gpu's bios 

No, that isn't, they're tested at the foundry and any less than 64 quality chips would be taken, tested, and, even though maybe one unit is dysfunctional, have the required 8 lasered off the die, as they can cause serious issues if they're present and defective. 

Yours faithfully

It would be a shame if here in 3 to 4 months Volta kills it......

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 minute ago, Humbug said:

Yes it will be enabled by driver updates, cause Vega FE already has the required hardware.

So then why won't TBR be entirely the same? What difference do you expect between TBR on Vega Rx vs TBR on Vega FE

immediate mode rasterization is currently in use, it's unclear if the chips have bad TBR or if the drivers weren't ready and it can be fully implemented in time, if it isn't I'd be worried, but by no means surprised, after all, the FE was clearly a rushed launch. 

Yours faithfully

14 minutes ago, zMeul said:

the the GTX1070 numbers are pulled out of AMD's ass

some peeps on reddit got the more realistic GTX1070 numbers:

yeah ...

To be fair they're not coming from AMD and instead the author's "industry source". Either way yeah, I'm going to wait for the actual release before I really believe anything I see. With that said I can the V56 overshadowing V64 just like the 290 did to the 290X on launch but we will see. 

THE BEAST Motherboard: MSI B350 Tomahawk   CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700   GPU: Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC  RAM: 16GB G.Skill FlareX DDR4   

PSU: Corsair CX650M     Case: Corsair 200R    SSD: Kingston 240GB SSD Plus   HDD: 1TB WD Green Drive and Seagate Barracuda 2TB Media Drive