Poll: Safety features on newer cars

defcat4

Safety tech on new cars (Blind spot monitoring, collision detection, blind spot monitoring, rear cross traffic alert)  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Are advanced safety features in cars a good thing?

• Yes
    • No
    • Mixed
    • What are you talking about exactly?

What do you guys think of the advanced safety features that are standard/available on most cars nowadays? Personally I think they're really cool, in addition to being a good gateway into the future, and they have probably already saved some lives, yet some still say it's only for noobs who don't really care that much about driving, and that it takes away from the sport. What do you folks think? I'm curious to hear your input.

Safe = good

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

Yes..? I don't see how safety features "take away from the sport". What sport exactly? The sport of driving to work?

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

not exactly a topic, safety is good, hopefully, driveless cars can reduce accidents.  

They are mostly for the commuting folk and city drivers. Quite useful to have.

But here in Northern Ireland (and to that greater extent, Ireland) you can go anywhere on B roads so I wouldn't really care for them. Plus traffic is never "too bad" that things like that would be required. 

Quite nice for the city. Quite useless for country roads. All the fun is in country roads. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

I hate driving automatics, eww... I only drive cars with manual gear. So I put "mixed".

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

As @BingoFishy states, anything to which will further increase the safety of a product is both rather obviously benefited from by the consumer, as with manafacturer.

If you shan't desire the modern driving experience of traction controls and powered steering I shall strongly recommend purchasing an older car without those features on the cheap and buy some private land to actually be able to drive it with the money saved from not buying a new car xD

I once did the unthinkable, back many headphones ago...

I split an audio split, again

1 minute ago, sazrocks said:

Yes..? I don't see how safety features "take away from the sport". What sport exactly? The sport of driving to work?

The idea that a computer is doing the work for you (of, for example, monitoring your blind spot) is what many people believe as a very unnatural way of driving

Cars kill lot of people = bad

Cars kill few people = good 

If you're gonna drive a car for the "sport" of it, then go to a race. Normal everyday driving is not a sport 

Just now, defcat4 said:

The idea that a computer is doing the work for you (of, for example, monitoring your blind spot) is what many people believe as a very unnatural way of driving

Well it is your blind spot... I don't understand why someone wouldn't want something to monitor that. If someone hates it that much they can just disable it, though once again I don't really see the point.

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

Mixed really. We'll see the same problems automation introduced in airplane cockpits, except the consequences will be more prevalent. People are going to rely on them so much, that once it fails, they will not know how to react. Which is why I hope all driver licensing agencies have regulations set that all vehicles must have these advanced safety features disabled during a road test (I'm talking about collision mitigation, blind spot monitoring, etc. Not things like airbags the inevitable troll would challenge.). 

The lessons learned in aircraft automation systems design should be implemented in advanced driver assist features. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Absolutely not. I want to drive my car without needless "safety" features. Don't buy into the botnet.

1 minute ago, EPENEX said:

Absolutely not. I want to drive my car without needless "safety" features. Don't buy into the botnet.

Then do so and let the rest of us that want some extra help with our blind spot use the features.

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

Some things I'm perfectly fine with:

• Crumple zones
  • Seat belts
  • Airbags
  • ABS
  • Traction control.

Other things I'm not:

And some things I think are situational, depend on the vehicle, or in general need not be on every vehicle:

• Rear view cameras
  • (and I could only come up with one thing)

6 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

What makes you not like these things?

Ion (Main Build)                                                                                        Overall Setup

i5 6500 3.2 GHz                                                                     -Blue snowball (White) thanks goodwill

MSI Mortar Arctic                                                                   -Logitech K120

Asus 1060 6GB Dual                                                             -Logitech Daedalus Prime G302

PNY CS1311 120 GB                                                            -Mousepad I made in 1st grade with my name on it                                                 

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT White 16GB (8x2GB) 2400

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W 

Lenovo H320 (Old Pre-built PC)                                      Possible upgrade for H320          

i5 650 3.2 GHz (heh)                                                                                    Xeon X3470

Motherboard unknown                                                       Same Motherboard

iGPU                                                                                   GT 1030 (MSI Low Profile Half Height)

Crucial 240GB SSD                                                           Crucial 240GB SSD

6GB DDR3 (4+2GB)                                                           8-10GB DDR3 (4+2+2GB/4+4+2GB)

Lenovo H320 case                                                             Lenovo H320 case

Unknown PSU (210W?)                                                     Same PSU (210W?)    

Driving in the street is NOT a sport.

If you want to test your skill, go do some laps in a circuit on the weekend, where a mistake won't affect others.

Mystery is the source of all true science.

48 minutes ago, QuantumBit said:

What makes you not like these things?

These may encourage complacent drivers to be even more complacent. Except the A pillar thing. That's a blindspot issue.

I take an all or nothing approach to automatic features in cars. Either the car drives itself or it doesn't.

EDIT: Before someone goes "But you said you liked ABS and Traction control!" Yes, because doing those "manually" require skills that are used in high stress, very infrequent situations, where try as I might be calm, will not likely successfully pull off. The other safety features I mentioned are there because you weren't being attentive enough in a situation where it was mostly under your control.

Edited by M.Yurizaki

2 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Some things I'm perfectly fine with:

• Crumple zones
  • Seat belts
  • Airbags
  • ABS
  • Traction control.

Other things I'm not:

And some things I think are situational, depend on the vehicle, or in general need not be on every vehicle:

• Rear view cameras
  • (and I could only come up with one thing)

Agree, but one of the best safety features I've come across is specific to large trucks.

And that is: it's a large truck.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

I have not driven a car with the various monitoring mechanisms but a few friends and family members own new cars with such things and they seem to find it annoying.

They say the car is constantly flashing or beeping at them and at first this was causing them to take their eyes off the road to look at what was beeping or flashing and after a while they got used to it and ignore the flashing and beeping.

They would comment that the car flashed, beeped or dinged so much and for so many things they have a hard time figuring out what the car is trying to tell them.

I feel like these monitoring devices are from a place of well meaning but not totally well thought out.

Already there is a lot for the average driver to keep track of  like the general flow of traffic, near by individual drivers, pedestrians, endless signs and road markings plus whatever we have going on in the car (music, passengers) with the addition of beeps, dings and flashes from your car I could see how it can be overwhelming and people may either get their focus taken away from where it needs to be to address what the car is telling them or they are going to ignore the car's warnings.

I have a feeling that by the time car manufacturers figure out the best way to filter the information the car is gathering for the driver that self driving cars will be just about ready for full scale use.

My 2013 Mazda comes with pretty much none of the aforementioned electronic monitoring equipment (except for stability control, ABS, etc) nor backup cameras, bluetooth or USB, and is a manual transmission to boot. The safety equipment is whatever little skill I happen to posses in keeping the car on the road and out of the local ditches or from the sides and rears of the other drivers on the road.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Just a tip: Do not buy suction cup dash cams. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

No, not really. They're mostly useless if not annoying "features" to sell a premium or tech package. I also don't like the idea of a car braking or manipulating steering from sensors that could give false positive. If the sensors malfunction, they are extremely expensive and have to be calibrated / programmed.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra