Pentiums cannibalizing i3 sales - Guess what intel does!!

Prysin
35 minutes ago, Gaming_Groove said:

Yeah after that ordeal I actually recommended that to someone on the forums here who was looking at buying a pre-built. Everyone else in the thread seemed more interested in the pcmr "build it yourself" mentality that they didn't seem to stop and consider how awesome a deal the pre-built was. I'm reminded of Linus's "Best Buy Gaming PC" video. Sometimes you just can't build them that cheap, and that is becoming more and more true by the day. 

With what I've seen in pre-built over here in Australia, and how much it costs to buy one over building a machine yourself/for your friend with better components, pre-built are ripoffs. And this applies for basic desktops all the way up to workstations.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

6 minutes ago, themctipers said:

any pentium is faster than my core series laptop

core 2 duo to be exact.

Lets be honest here, that's not difficult.

PMSL

1 minute ago, Dabombinable said:

Lets be honest here, that's not difficult.

a atom CPU is probably faster than this laptop's cpu

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

4 hours ago, Not_Sean said:

hahaha you need to think more like intel.. 

G4690X on X299 platform and it only enables 2 ram slots, 1 PCIe and 2 Sata ports because Fu thats why. 

but wait.

with the $50 dlc you can have 4 ram slots!

and for $100 you can 2 PCIe ports!

and if you pay $300 you have have 6 sata ports!

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

Just now, themctipers said:

a atom CPU is probably faster than this laptop's cpu

I wouldn't go that far. Intel Atom are still shit.

PMSL

2 minutes ago, NvidiaIntelAMDLoveTriangle said:

You mean slower, right?

at least it can run windows 10 without shitting itself while trying to run file explorer

3 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

I wouldn't go that far. Intel Atom are still shit.

it has a clockspeed, cache, iGPU and architectural advantage

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

i find it amusing how most people in this thread are "fuck intel im getting a ryzen next time" yet they most likely dont have i3s or Pentium Gwhatevers so it literally has no effect ton them

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Just now, themctipers said:

at least it can run windows 10 without shitting itself while trying to run file explorer

it has a clockspeed, cache, iGPU and architectural advantage

The architecture is shit though, negating the clock speed and cache advantages....

PMSL

1 minute ago, Dabombinable said:

The architecture is shit though, negating the clock speed and cache advantages....

2006 core vs 2017 kaby lake,

it has 2 extra cores.

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just now, Sierra Fox said:

i find it amusing how most people in this thread are "fuck intel im getting a ryzen next time" yet they most likely dont have i3s or Pentium Gwhatevers so it literally has no effect ton them

If you already had an i3 or Pentium Gwhatever then this wouldn't affect them either. This only affects new PCs being built in the future, budget ones in particular. The G4560 is basically the best budget CPU out right now, and now it's getting even harder to buy.

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

I don't understand why Intel would scale down its production rather than just raise its price by $10.

4 minutes ago, Grinners said:

I don't understand why Intel would scale down its production rather than just raise its price by $10.

I think it would have been better for Intel to lower the price of the 7100 by $10 instead.  It's already at $117, and at $107 it would be an easier pill to swallow.  Intel also has the money in the bank to lower prices exponentially, while AMD doesn't.  Basically, Intel could have done something to better secure the i3/Ryzen 3 range better instead, before Ryzen 3 actually drops.  

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

6 hours ago, Trixanity said:

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here...

That's why I said if they don't change their ways. Clearly they are in a position to easily recover right now, but the longer they delay a proper response to AMD the worse off they will be.

CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.7 GHz

GPU: XFX GTS RX580 4GB

Cooling: Corsair h100i

Mobo: Asus z97-A 

RAM: 4x8 GB 1600 MHz Corsair Vengence

PSU: Corsair HX850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite Tempered glass edition

Display: LG 29UM68-P

Keyboard: Roccat Ryos MK FX RGB

Mouse: Logitech g900 Chaos Spectrum

Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX

9 hours ago, Alaradia said:

kinda makes sense since some crypto miners are run off those chips 

No sense to run a mining rig on a G4560. You don't need CPU power, you can run 8 GPUs on a Celeron G1820

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

1 hour ago, Dabombinable said:

With what I've seen in pre-built over here in Australia, and how much it costs to buy one over building a machine yourself/for your friend with better components, pre-built are ripoffs. And this applies for basic desktops all the way up to workstations.

The topic creator from the thread in question was trying to decide between the two PCs below

Core i5-6400

8GB DDR4 2133

1TB HDD

GTX 1070

Open Box from Newegg for $800 US (now out of stock)

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883221298R

Or this refurbished one from Amazon with a GTX 970 for $600 US

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MT3JWFF/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=AT5ZWRAJ36F48&psc=1&tag=linus21-20

Sure, you take chances with it open box and refurbished PCs. The last 3 laptops I've bought were refurbished or open box from Newegg and have lasted me over 5 years.

I can't speak for the Australian market, but these are killer deals in the US. Don't get me wrong, I love doing custom builds, but you literally cannot build them that cheap with Windows included here in the US. I think it is pretty narrow-minded that people in the thread advised the topic creator to build a custom Ryzen system when the cheapest 1070 you can find on PCPartPicker is almost $500 US right now.

1 hour ago, BingoFishy said:

but wait.

with the $50 dlc you can have 4 ram slots!

and for $100 you can 2 PCIe ports!

and if you pay $300 you have have 6 sata ports!

hahah when they do the announcement they can also announce the Intel & EA Games Merger. That would completely explain their marketing. Also they can announce Intel ix K edition, which comes at 3.2Ghz but with the Day One DLC you can Unlock all the way to 3.6Ghz and if you buy the Season pass you'll get all the way up to 4.0Ghz but also no Warranty 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

Is Intel even trying..? Fine by me, AMD is my new bestie ❤️

50 minutes ago, Energycore said:

No sense to run a mining rig on a G4560. You don't need CPU power, you can run 8 GPUs on a Celeron G1820

it does if its the cheapest cpu in stock which it was for a bit 

Just now, Alaradia said:

it does if its the cheapest cpu in stock which it was for a bit 

Fair enough. It's amazing to think even haswell celerons went out of stock because of the ether rush

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

9 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

"License to have power not parts"?

"4D3D3D3"?

Plesse clarify.    I'm confused.  

Well it seems that the cost is certainly set by what kind of performance the customer gets and not how much it costs to produce/volume they can produce. They're crippling production of a low end high yield product because it sells to well. 

And kicking up the 4D3D3D3 makes the Celery Man sequence sexier. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

1 hour ago, kaiju_wars said:

I think it would have been better for Intel to lower the price of the 7100 by $10 instead.  It's already at $117, and at $107 it would be an easier pill to swallow.  Intel also has the money in the bank to lower prices exponentially, while AMD doesn't.  Basically, Intel could have done something to better secure the i3/Ryzen 3 range better instead, before Ryzen 3 actually drops.  

Intel has whole teams dedicated to doing the math.  They know they'll get more upsells than they'll lose by killing this SKU off.

Come to think of it, what is probably happening is that demand for higher end Kaby Lake SKUs is too high and the yields are too good, so there just isn't enough allocation for Pentiums.  You don't want to be burning fully functional 2+2 parts that would work as an i3 as Pentiums to sell cheaper.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

3 hours ago, Mooshi said:

Is Intel even trying..? Fine by me, AMD is my new bestie ❤️

they are trying to become the underdog. Cuz AMD looked so cool as the underdog... intel doesnt want to be seen as the badguy

Lmao the G4560 was Intel's last dying light in the budget sector. Congrats after R3's launch the cpu choice will be this:

Budget? R3

Mid Range? R5

High End (Mainstream)? i7/R7 (Dependant on primary use case)

The 1st two sell way more units than the last one. GG tying your own noose Intel.