Pentiums cannibalizing i3 sales - Guess what intel does!!

Prysin
  • 3 weeks later...

For gaming, ryzen 3 is the alternative solution since a lot of games these days use more than 2 cores.

10 minutes ago, TheBeastPC said:

For gaming, ryzen 3 is the alternative solution since a lot of games these days use more than 2 cores.

That's great and all, but you have to remember...Ryzen 3 didn't exist when this thread was active...two weeks ago. Please stop digging up old threads. 

I also agree though, Ryzen 3 is a good alternative CPU for budget gaming PCs now (Though personally I'd hit up the used market...lots of great deals there)

1 minute ago, scottyseng said:

That's great and all, but you have to remember...Ryzen 3 didn't exist when this thread was active...two weeks ago. Please stop digging up old threads. 

sorry about that.

27 minutes ago, TheBeastPC said:

Just because a cpu has more cores doesn't mean it's better, we still don't know how Zen works without SMT (or how inefficient it is without it), look at simulations of r3, it performs like pentium in gaming.

20 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

I also agree though, Ryzen 3 is a good alternative CPU for budget gaming PCs now (Though personally I'd hit up the used market...lots of great deals there)

Most used hardware will be on dead ddr3 platforms, what will you do if your motherboard dies?How will you upgrade ram (and what will you do with it once you switch to a ddr4 platform)?

22 minutes ago, MyName13 said:

Most used hardware will be on dead ddr3 platforms, what will you do if your motherboard dies?How will you upgrade ram (and what will you do with it once you switch to a ddr4 platform)?

Motherboard deaths on mid range to high end motherboards is pretty rare, but indeed it is always a risk. Personally I have my P67 and Z77 motherboards still going strong after 6 years (5 years on the Z77 one). 

Well, DDR3 is pretty viable today, at least for a budget build. Also, you can sell off the DDR3 if somehow the used stuff does die. I've bought a fair amount of used parts and have yet to see any failures, but it's up to the person if it's worth it or not. I myself got a 2700K to replace my 2500K last summer and it was well worth the $130. The other option was to go for Kaby Lake, but the performance gain simply wasn't there for me to be worth it (Having to buy DDR4, new motherboard, etc).