No more unboxings in Linus Tech Tips in 2014?

LinusTech

I'm mixed on this. For products like graphics cards I'm ok without having unboxings. However I really like your unboxing and brief overviews of random miscellaneous products that I usually dont know anything about such as your video over the MOGA controllers, or the stinky footboard.

I enjoy watching many of the unboxings but I think it would be better to only unbox "Exciting" things such as new graphics cards and cases. I wouldn't miss videos where items like RAM is unboxed due to the relatively boring nature of the product.

My Rig: CPU - AMD FX6100 | CPU Cooler - Corsair H80 | GPU - ASUS R9 270X | Mobo - MSI 970A-G43 | Case - NZXT Phantom | Storage - 128GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD and 1TB Western Digital Black | PSU - Corsair CS650M | Main Display - Dell Ultrasharp U2312hm |

Please don't ditch the unboxings! It's like a replacement-drug of all the nice things oneself isn't able to buy and - of course - unbox! ;)

On the other hand i think the right balance between unboxings and reviews & guides could hit the sweet spot! There were times when there was nearly one unboxing a day. That might not be necessary. But a few ones - maybe selected by the community beforehand - would be fine!

No. Keep them, I believe the unboxings are what makes this channel.

An unboxing doesn't just take up time, for me it often decides whether I shall purchase a product, or not purchase a pruduct.  It gives a feel for it as I can see it in someones hands which gives me depth and perspective.  It also shows what they look like with proper light shining on them.  Looks aren't everything but the do help rather a lot.  Also, you go over the specs in a quick manner, and although I usually have read all the specs on the page I am going to be purchasing it off I am sure it would help quite a bit for newer buyers.  All in all I would love to see the unboxing style you do continue throughout the 2014 as it gives specs, looks and performance all in one video.  If I really want an in depth view of a product, Ill switch to TTL as he's reviews are more in depth; however, I think that you putting an unboxing and review all in to a 10-12 minute video is a truly great idea.

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

Well,if the reviews,benchmarks and other videos are gonna be even more in depth and higher quality,then sure,why not  :) 

The only unboxings i think should stay are the case unboxings. They have helped me in choosing a few cases for my builds

Hello Linus, Slick and the rest of the Linustech-team,

I think you are doing a tremendous work on the channel, very professional.

What I think could make the channel better, would be unboxing more hardware,

instead of smartphones, loudspeakers etc. Yes i know that it is also "tech", that's just what

I feel the most.

Hope you respect my answer

Best Regards

Mathias S. Larsen

Gear: Crappy laptop which i somehow manage to "game" on.

Well If that's what you want, go for it!

I'd just like to suggest that you make a show, say every month where you talk about a couple of interesting products (that you would've unboxed otherwise) :D

The beauty of this channel is how we get to explore and venture things together, and get your immediate response on the products you unbox.

Only by unboxing will the excitement be kept genuine and interesting.

I don't see the point why in-depth reviews and unboxings cant live together.

Do the unboxing first, then edit the review that you shoot afterwards to the same video.

Edit: I see quite some members saying the same unboxing video was done by millions of people already. But I like you to be the one who does it. I dont like watching others unboxing.

I like your unboxings more than a couple of your other videos (i.e. benchmarks), so no, I want to keep seeing you do unboxings. I attribute a few of my tech purchases to your unboxing videos, so it means a lot to me if they go away.

That being said, I understand what you are trying to do. While I have no problems with the quality of your videos currently, I am not against the idea of better quality.

Just a thought...Why not try to go a few months without doing any unboxings as a trial run, instead of the proposed year-long absence?

If this means no more case unboxings in my sub box, go for it.  ;)

But seriously most of your video card/cpu "unboxings" don't really have anything to do with the actual content of the videos. It is mostly you talking about the technology that went into it and the benchmark numbers. 

I'm completely fine with you abandoning unboxings, that being said you have been talking about a daily news show for a while now and I haven't seen any progress.

I do like your idea of making more guides and tutorials. 

Honestly I don't think you should make your channel more professional, you got to where you are now by making entertaining videos, shit you most popular video is of a toy excavator... 

Some of the unboxings lately were structured on 20% getting the thing out of its box and 80 % the technology overview. As long as we don't loose the tech overview, i think this could work. But don't change radically the structure, that would be a mistake. My humble opinion.

Codename: HighFlyer, specs:  CPU: i5 2500k cooled by a H70ish(2 rad)   Mobo: MSI MPower Z77   GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 660 OC 1150 MHZ core, 3150 memory both   RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16G @1600mhz   SSD: ADATA Premier Pro sx900 / HDD Seagate Barracuda 1TB/Samsung 1TB   Power supply: Corsair RM650 80+ Gold   Case Corsair Carbide 500R   5.4 ghz achieved on the good old 2500k, may it rest in peace. Current daily OC is 4.8 @1.41 v

I like the idea of more quality. I like how your content has been lately with less unboxing and more of just a general rundown of what the box contained. What ever it is you have planned, I support it and if the community doesn't like it, well that's what the comment section is for. Good luck!

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

Please do unboxing Linus.

Your unboxing videos is the best. You are the most funniest tech guy which not turn boring.

I need your unboxing videos, please dont stop!

You helped me and others alot!

[spoiler= Dream machine (There is also a buildlog)]

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

Honestly;

I came to LTT's youtube because of unboxings, I also chose my PC case because of a LTT video months later. BUT I found out if getting my 2 770's was better or worse than 1 780 (not an unboxing).

I really enjoy your videos, of any kind, but I must say I always watched your unboxings, but there have been some reviews of products I have no interest in, so I do not watch, but for a potentially similar product, the unboxing would be watched. I don't know what this says about me, but I'm sure other people are the same, so maybe as a buisness model, unboxings are better? But I cannot comment on what you personally wish to do.

I do like the idea of more indepth reviews, but again, I may lose interest in certain products; BUT what about the "unboxing and first look at" turns into "unboxing and review of" -- could work?

Production Control, Fish Keeper, Lover of Audio

we have many unboxing channels, I would honestly prefer to hear more reviews because sometimes it just feels like your advertising products.

also I can imagine that maybe you "might" get a bit more sleep because deprivation really is awful for you .

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

I would like to see unboxing of the stuff that matters, personally I don't really care to see unboxings of smartphones or rc fire trucks.

I think you should have the unboxing WITH your review instead of a stand alone unboxing vid on the majority of the hardware. Maybe limit stand alone unboxing vids to big news items like high end video cards etc.

Though the core of the channel has been unboxings for some years now, I can understand the move to more quality, content heavy productions. If you could do weekly product show cases to replace the little info-snips we get from your unboxings then i'm completely fine with your new direction :) honestly i don't think all your viewers have the time or leisure to watch ALL of your unboxings at the moment anyway, so it makes sense to address more of your customer base with less content overall.

I just made my account to say NO. I LOVE YOUR UNBOXINGS!

Which ever decision you chose, i will live with it, but I love your unboxings. I prefer if you keep doing them. I love seeing your first impression on things. I bought my case, GPU, and power supply because of your unboxings. (Corsair Air 540, EVGA Geforce GTX 770 SC w/ ACX, Corsair RM850)

My favourite part of the channel are the live shows. As long as you keep doing those, I'm happy. Either way, I'm still gonna watch all your videos.

It really depends on the product, things like cases an unboxing is more suited then a review but something like a mobo, or graphics card a review is a better idea.

It really has to do with the item, I love your case unboxings they let me develop my own opinions on what i can do with the case, whereas in a review, you'd have to go into depth and which would reduce my creativity by focusing to much on nitty gritty facts

(also why i got the Haf XB over the Air 540  due to an awesome idea your unboxing gave me)

Rig 1 CPU: 3570K Motherboard: V Gene GPU: Power Color r9 280x at 1.35GHZ  RAM: 16 GB 1600mhz PSU: Cougar CMX 700W Storage: 1x Plexor M5S 256GB 1x 1TB HDD 1x 3TB GREEN HDD Case: Coolermaster HAFXB Cooling: Intel Watercooler
"My day so far, I've fixed 4 computers and caught a dog. Australian Tech Industry is weird."

"It's bent so far to the right, It's a hook."

Unboxings can sometimes become repetitive, I think that having you do reviews would be interesting.

I will however continue to watch your videos whatever.

Keep the unboxing coming. Don't abandon it totally, there are products that don't take more than 1 hour to analyze. If you wanna stop, just stop unboxing stuff like power supply. They look pretty much the same. 

EDIT: More reviews/personal opinion videos would be good.

I totally understand the whole more quality approach but i watched your channel for what you are doing. Yes im going to have my complaints about certain aspects such as having Brolls and not actually covering the unboxing side, and instead having brolls all the way through. Which in my opinion should have their own section. Such as at the end while you are doing your round up and summary, rarther than have the brolls when you are actually talking about what is in the box and showing the product in your hands.
But for the love of all that is holy, please keep the unboxings. Aftter alll, you are a professional unboxer.