No more unboxings in Linus Tech Tips in 2014?

LinusTech

If i really wanted to watch a review id go to anandtech and read their 1000 word review of the product, or id go and watch Tiny Tom Logans 40 minute video. What you do linus is different, which keeps it interesting. I prefur the video where anything could happen and the camera keeps rolling. Kinda like the old NCIX one shot style.

The pro's and con's of a product is what I care about.  A brick in a pretty box with sales gobbly-gook printed on it does not convince me like you do Linus.  Thanks

I like this idea. The process of taking something out of the box is rather not interesting, but the technical content of these videos should not be lost.

I've you'd put a still image with all the box content - just  for our information - at the beginning of your overview and give the usual info like the "flex test", package/build quality etc. that would be allright/better for me.

CPU: AMD FX-8350 @4.2GHz cooled by Corsair H100 | Mainboard: ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula-Z | GPU: XFX HD7970 DD 3GB | RAM: 16GB G.Skill RipjawsX | Case: ANTEC P280 windowed | PSU: beQuiet! 650W DarkPower Pro

Now @ University in Munich: Games Engineering!!!!

I think this is a good idea, to be honest the un-boxings are quite low-quality on their own.

When you do a review of a  product you could quickly cover what's on the packaging, such as features, then you could focus more on the product it's self.

I really like your unboxings, they are often rather humorous, and I'm still waiting for the "flex test" to fail. ;)

So, my vote is on keeping the unboxings, if you feel like it you can do (a lot) less of them and do more reviews etc, but please don't completely remove them.

My two cents. 

CPUIntel Core I5-3570k @4.2Ghz |  CoolerBeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MOBOMsi Z77 Mpower | GPUSapphire HD7970 Dual-X 3GB RAMCorsair Vengeance Low Profile 1600mhz (2x8GB) | HDD Samsung SSD 840 EVO 120GB & HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB | PSU: BeQuiet! PurePower L8 630w | Case: Corsair C70 Military Green | Display: BenQ GL2450HM 24" KeyboardCM Storm QuickFire Ultimate Keyboard (Browns) | MouseR.A.T 7 | Mouse padSteelseries QcK Mass | Headset: Plantronics Gamecom 780 | OS: Windows 7 Ultimate | Picture of setuphttp://i.imgur.com/o8jKsQJ.jpg (OLD)

Personally I like your unboxings. Just recently I went back to your ASUS Xonar STX unboxing to check for power connectors as it was neither mentioned on ASUS nor my retailer ^^

I'd also like some daily show, of course there is only so much content 4-5 people can produce / day but I'd be really sad to see the unboxings go.

But you should honor your heritage [the guy in the back room who for some reason H2-dyed his hair because some devil rode him, unboxing random things] ^^

And I personally don't enjoy Techquickie all that much. Your commercials are fun but... Turning into a commerical channel was bad...

And for the love of Logan, if you do GPU benchmarks show then non- and overclocked. The OC-results by themselves do not have any meaning as GPUs overclock differently from each other -.-

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

I like your style of unboxings but am confident you'll know what you're doing. I am all up for more quality, perhaps you should try the new format for a month and then I'd feel like we'll be able to give back a better feedback.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(") This is Bunny.

I like both, I don't mind looking at new / slightly older things being unboxed so I know what I would be getting if I bought the item, also good for getting information about that specific product which I do enjoy.

In the end i've been following for maybe a few months now and I just enjoy your channel overal so do whichever you and the community whishes for.

No i like your unboxings its the reason i subscribed to your channel 2 years ago so please do not abandon them !

Intel Core i5 4670k,ASUS B85-MG,4GB Vengeance,Gigabyte 7950,Cooler Master Elite 430 Black,Cooler Master 600 Silent Pro

Yeah I don't mind getting rid of the unboxing rituals as long as the main product is showcased in a detailed and interesting manner with your quirky and informative style. And also the amount of products that you'll be 'reviewing' shouldn't be limited to only stuffs that you can actually test and do in depth review. Not everything needs a benchmark or in-depth real world usage test.

Also,I kinda miss you outdoor product reviews like the ottobox casing and the liquid armor screen protector.

Every tech personality on youtube can do an unboxing of a product and give us details. I however value your opinion in the reviews so if this allows you to produce more of those or in greater depth i support this 100%.

While reviews are always fun to watch, having some more laid back content is great as well. So, how about lowering the amount of unboxings to a couple per month instead of stopping completely? I'm thinking that would be a nice balance, many of us really do enjoy your unboxings after all.

Cheers,

Linus

Unboxings are a good way to see your real first impressions on a product, which is good to have.

While I think you can reduce the amount of unboxings, I would still like to see some on newer products.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

PC: i7 3770K - G1.Sniper M3 - 8GB Kingston HyperX Red - Asus DirectCU2 GTX660Ti - BeQuiet 530W Modular PSU - 128GB Crucial M4 - 1TB Samsung storage HDD

Why not do one week for un-boxings and the next week of news and reviews, this way there will be more time for preparation for the reviews and the bi monthly news will lat people catch up on what's happened in one go rather than everyday having small snippets of news

Well you dont have to do unboxings as much as you do now it might even be better if you done less but dont remove the unboxings alltogether because thats what makes linus a linus. Maybe do like 1-2 a week more if you want that makes perfect sense because personally i like watching unboxings as much as everything else, besides everybahdy likes unboxings with out the box after all xD

more quality + less boxes = fun for everyone

this is mainly because your unboxzings of short videos make the channel very appealing so even if you cut down on it the channel is still appealing

Linus, I am really big fan of your channels. Your idea is good but I don't like the fact that you are going to completely abandon the unboxings. I know that it is time consuming and I know that there are a lot of other unboxers. But the key word is "OTHER". The main reason I subscribed to you is because of your style, because there is no "script" of what's going to happen, because you are doing the unboxings fun and unique in addition to being useful and informative.

Whatever you decide I wish you good luck :) !

Well you don't have to do unboxings where's you unpack and show the accessories etc. but what we all want is product reviews. But some important products require an unboxing. What I'm saying is just focus in reviews, benchmarks testing etc, important products require unboxing. Or get your crew to help out, we rarely get to see them

I like the unboxings so far, especially when you unbox product I have interest in.

Because I work at a e-tailer (just like NCIX), I get many questions about what accessories are included.

That is what you cover in unboxings and not the reviews.

Even though I like reviews too, I still think you should keep doing the unboxings

i would say, dont unbox everything you get, but take a few to unbox and some to review.. do a mix of both! :)

I don't mind if you change your content over to entirely formal reviews as long as you've got something to distinguish yourself away from the rest, like how you only bench overclocked cards. 

I would however still enjoy seeing irregular content like your blue tooth shower speaker and RC firetruck Christmas unboxing.

Just remember what made you a popular youtube channel. being Informative, entertaining and making people think you were homosexual ;)

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

Please don't stop doing unboxings, I am ok with you doing less of them in favor of what you are trying to do with your company, but try to do them once in a while, they can be very fun to watch, especially if you unbox something you care for and not just another motherboard or graphics cards.

I wouldn't say stop doing unboxings all together, because I actually do enjoy watching them. However as your channel is growing, and the team is still fairly small, you can cut down on unboxing products. You should use your judgement and film unboxings of products you believe the community should really check out.

An example off the top of my head is the Stinky Footboard unboxing.

I look forward to watching more of your content whatever your decision may be!

CPU: Intel i7-3770k (@4.4Ghz) Mobo: Asus Maximus V Gene Z77 RAM: 16GB DDR3 Corsair Vengence SSD:120GB Samsung EVO & 128GB Crucial M4 (Fast Storage) Storage: Hitach 3TB HDD GPU: Powercolor R9 290 PCS+ CPU Block: EK Supremacy Gold Clean CSQ Radiatiors: Alphacool NexXxoS Full Copper XT45 120mm, ST30 280mm & XT45 280mm w/ 140mm Phanteks PWM PSU: Corsair HX-650w Gold Soundcard: Asus Xense Case: Corsair Carbide A540 (Black & Gold) Front Panel: NZXT Hue & BitFenix Hydra Pro Speakers: Swan M200MKIII HeadsetSennheiser PC350 (Xense Edition)

I'm not turning this thread into a poll because I intend to carefully read the replies of every single person who posts in the next couple of days.

I won't make a decision like this without consulting the community that made us one of the top technology channels on YouTube.

I am considering completely abandoning unboxings in 2014 to focus on reviews, guides, Tech Quickie, and our upcoming daily news show.

What this means first of all is LESS CONTENT. Unboxings take a fraction as long as all that other stuff, so we won't be able to cover nearly the breadth of products that we used to do...

What it also means is MORE QUALITY and MORE FOCUS. We'll be able to really spend time getting familiar with things before we show it to you and really zone in on the stuff that we feel is most relevant, exciting and interesting.

Please let me know your thoughts.

boy as much as i love them guides and tuts, what i think you should do is that you should totally do unboxing of the top of the line products as pc enthusiasts are only interested in what's best for their system and want to know for sure that they get everything in it.

Or you may a quick unboxing at the start of the review and if you still think it will take time you should atleast post the stuff on the screen that will come out of the box of that particular item that way users can pause the video for a second and see it for themselves. Your time won't be wasted ^^

What do you think?

• CPU i5 3570k - 4.0 Ghz | Motherboard Intel DZ77SL50K | RAM Corsair Vengeance 4GB 1600 BUS DDR3 4GBx1 | GPU 2x Sparkle GTX 570 OC editionCase CM 370 EliteStorage Seagate 1TB 3.5" SATA HARD DRIVE 64MB CACHEPSU Cooler Master GX series 550W (80+ bronze)Display(s) Samsung 46' series 5 TV(1080p), Dell 20' (1280x1024)Cooling 3x Corsair SP120 QUIET EDITION HIGH STATIC PRESSURE 120MM FAN TWIN PACKKeyboard DELL original default keyboardMouse A4 Tech x2 800dpi | Sound On board~!