No more unboxings in Linus Tech Tips in 2014?

LinusTech

Personally I love your unboxings. Its the reason I started watching the channel and the reason I kept coming back so many times before I actually subscribed. 

However, my ideal world would be one where you do unboxings, maybe not as many, but then also do in-depth reviews of items. I should probably explain that better...

Lets say 3 or 4 (or 6 or 7), all or most each from different companies, new headphones come out. They are all within the same price range and are in the most competitive range (ie the ones that actually sell the most numbers wise, so most popular) and you contact all the companies and they send you one of each. My ideal situation would be that you unbox all 6 or so of them and give fist impressions. However, you know that 1 or 2 of them will be the better of the bunch so yourself and slick test them out for a few days/week and then do an in-depth review of the 2 of them (on 1 or 2 videos, I dont mind or care tbh but I am sure the companies might).

In this scenario I would get the product overviews and your insights and first impressions on products that you probably have a better insight than I do. And then later I get that in-depth review on the item that is the best of the bunch

Problem is that I know this would be more work for you guys...  :unsure:

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

Personally I love the unboxings you do, Linus. I feel like they give you the ability to cover a much broader area of products and give your opinion on a lot more things than otherwise. 

I love your actual reviews and everything else, but the off the cuff, more relaxed, and opinion focused pieces that are the unboxings give some more raw consumer advice. Videos like your recent Samsung 840 Evo video, the cherry MX green video, or the MOGA android controllers, not only give your opinion on these products (I for one am in the market for an SSD and now know I want and 840 Evo do to your unboxing) and it exposes us to products we've never heard of (the MOGA controllers).  

All In all, I think the unboxings add value to your channel and they give me a little bit of Linus every day. I do see your points and I won't be heartbroken if you do get rid of them. Best of luck mate.

TNTS

Well, if we're sacrificing unboxings for reviews, then I'm for it(as long as you still show what we exactly get in the box).

Possibly a quick overview of the product, then the review?

Merge unboxings in to reviews if possible, I know it wouldn't be the same having to unbox, review, rebox and the unbox on camera. 

However, if you can get multiple SKU's sent to you, that's a possibility.

Gaming/Folding rig: Coolermaster CM 690 II Advanced White | MSI Z77A-G43 | Intel Core i7 3770k @ 4.4GHz | 10GB G.Skill RAM | Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | Seagate 2TB | Seagate 2TB | WD Blue 640GB | Cogage Arrow (Passive) | Thermaltake Toughpower XT 675w | Windows 10 Pro

Photography

Well Linus, I've watched every single video you made for the last 2-3 years (even before the Slick era). I like the unboxing style, I get to know what's out there and when interested I'll look further into it (reviews, etc.).

I would prefer it stayed that way, but if you choose otherwise I'll probably still watch your videos. But bear in mind that you will be entering in another "market". For example, in my honest opinion, there's no way you'll beat TTL in a case review, but maybe you'll surprise us all ;)

When you say review does that mean if you get a nonreference r9-290 you simply go over the cards features specs and performance but forgo the dramatic unboxing? If so that's fine I dont need to see the box and the contents I just wanna know about products.

I don't want you to stop making unboxing videos. I really like them and it helps me compare products. 

It also helps when comparing products in different price ranges. No one compares those. By watching those videos I can watch you explain every feature of the product and decide whether I need that feature or not.

Might I also say that there aren't many people who DON'T like the unboxing videos, and they do result into more views and thus more money. 

And you know we all want you to have the YOUTUBE MONAAAY! Also so you could feed Slick once in a while.

All I'm really trying to say is that, at first, came to this channel for the unboxing videos, but I stayed for them and everything else. 

I'd really hate it if you wouldn't unbox anything anymore. But that's just my take on it.

Intel Core i7-3770k @4.4GHz. 1.170V - Noctua NH-D14 - 8GB (2x4) G.Skill RipjawsX @1866 MHz. CL8 - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H - Samsung 840 250GB - XFX HD7970 DD GHz. @1125MHz - CM 690 II - Seagate Barracuda 2TB + WD RED 3TB - Corsair RM750X

FiiO E10 - Sennheiser HD 598 - Edifier R1600T - Sony MHC-EX50 - Razer Blackwidow Ulitmate 2013 - Razer Deathadder 2013 - LG IPS237L - Dell P2314H - Philips 237EQPH - LG 47LB561V

LG G2 - HP Spectre X360 - Audio Technica ATH-M50X - Sennheiser IE 60

I would say still do a *few* unboxings because that's how this community grew up knowing you, but shift most of the content over. As it's been said many times, you can do pretty much whatever and we will still watch :D

Desktop - 3930k | Rampage IV Extreme | 64gb Vengeance RAM | 256gb 840 Pro | 2x MSI 7870 | Corsair 900D | Creative SB Z | Sennheiser HD280 | Logitech G710+ | Razer Mamba | My salary's worth of water cooling.

Server/NAS - i5-4570 | Gigabyte Z97 Ud5h | 32gb Crucial 1600mhz | 500gb Samsung 850 evo | 4x 4tb WD Reds | Corsair H80 | Bitfenix Shinobi | Windows 7 Pro |

I think unboxing videos are great. You should keep them.

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 2133 | AMD FX-8350 Vishera 4.0GHz CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i | OCZ Vector 256G | 

Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | SAPPHIRE Vapor-X Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition

XFX 750W BEFX

No! It should be like two years ago - unboxing and first look/short review. But keep making build logs because they are very intresting.

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K GPU: AMD Radeon HD7870 RAM: Patriot Viper 8GB 1866MHz MOBO: ASUS Maximus VII Ranger HDD: Seagate 7200.10 2x250GB PSU: BeQuiet Dark Power Pro P7 550W CASE: Antec P182

I personally think you should do what you feel is right. I mean it is your channel and company after all, as long as you don't forget about us, the community :P But I abide by the aspect of QUALITY over QUANTITY. Just keep bringing us the reviews, guides and benchmarks. It's okay hearing about products and their performance over another site, but I'm a lot more excited when I see the product I am waiting for come up on a video from you.

As the information is reliable, you give real-world performance numbers and an un-biased view; you say it how it is and it should be like that! :D

CPU: Intel Core i5 2550K @ 4GHz | Cooler: Gelid Tranquillo Rev. 2 | Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3

GPU: XFX 1GB HD6850 OC'd | SSD: OCZ Agility 3 60GB | HDD: Samsung 500GB | PSU: Corsair HX520W | Case: Zalman Z11+

I think that the unboxings should be a part of the rewiews, like the one in the sony z1 rewiew.

I'd be happy with high quality reviews instead of unboxings.

However I hope you continue to release the odd unboxing of strange products nobody actually wants to buy, such as the:

@LinusTech

My opinion: you should make less unboxings and make more on NCIXcom channel. It's LinusTechTips, not LinusUnboxings, so it shouldn't be all about unboxings. I think, that You should make less unboxings, more tech videos (like benchmarks, buyers guides, build guides). Just sayin'

____
Sorry for bad English

Sorry for my bad English!
i5-4590 | Sabertooth Z97 mk2 | Intel HD 4600 | ADATA XPG V1 2x4GB 1600MHz CL9 | Intel 530 120GB | Cooler Master N600 | Seasonic G-450 | Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 | Win8.1 Pro x64

I'm not sure what to say. I do like the unboxings because you always give a very small opinion which is very helpful but you still show MANY products which I think is fantastic. However if you only do reviews etc. and no unboxings then you would have more in depth videos but now not of as many products which means that less people would be interested as it is not that likely that all 500k subs will care about the one product per week or so. However if this is gonna mean that YOU Linus have more time, more peace and will definitely let you make more higher quality reviews then I'm up for it, oh and what if in the daily news you talk about products like in an unboxing but with the product itself like deals of the day or hot stuff etc.??? Dunno just writing out loud what is going through my head

Dell XPS 15 9560 - Nikon Z5 - Galaxy S10+

I am really exited about the new daily news show. And I would also be very exited about more focus and quality. Even if it means cutting off the unboxings. To be honest I always check your unboxings, and I see them as some of the best on YouTube, because of your personal touch. So I cannot say I won't miss new unboxing videos. That would be a lie.

But I think that I would like more focused, and quality content better. So I think it's a great idea.

On the contrary, I think you need more unboxings. Specifically of cases. More specifically, of budget cases, like Xigmatek, low-end Thermaltake, Nanoxia, Aerocool, etc.

These cases have almost no information on them and it can be hard to decide whether or not they are worth the purchase or fit the requirements you have.

This.

Although I do not agree with Xigmatek being low end ^^ [Elysium is an awesome case, and at 220$ certainly not a budget case ;) And the Aquila isn't very cheap either, neither is the Gigas... ^^]

You need to do more unboxings [especially of cases, as those are really really handy when making a decision on a case or wanting to make sure part X will fit spot Y]

And you need to make unboxings of more different brands. Only reviewing the stuff you get from your sponsors is getting old.

The "Underdog" brands that don't get that much exposure is something I really really love about Teksyndicate. I'm tired of ASUS, Corsair, ASUS, Corsair, Corsair, Gigabyte, Fractal, ASUS, Corsair.

And since you said you're always looking to stand out from the hundreds of other tech channels, do reviews of "not-as-common" brands such as Xigmatek, Aerocool, InWin and so on and so forth.

I know you're being sponsored by certain brands to review their products and therefore give them exposure and make people aware of it. And it works: if you go around the forums, most of the new builds include one or more of: ASUS, Corsair, Fractal.

That's what you're being payed for and that fine, but we need some more diversity of brands. Especially cases and coolers.

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

I say prioritize it:

Is object to be unboxed long awaited / supercool / unique in such a way you should do an unboxing?

--> Do the unboxing.

Is the object just another of many products that we have seen before... uhm..

---> don't do the unboxing..

Clear? OK ? Yes (Y) :D:P

CPU: i7 3930K 3.2Ghz on Noctua NH-U14S| RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance @1600Mhz + 32GB Kingston Beast @ 1866Mhz | MBO: Asus P9X79 | GPU: ASUS GTX970 STRIX | SSD: Samsung 840 PRO 256GB + Crucial M500 480GB  |  HDD: 2*3TB Seagate | PSU: Cooler Master 850m2 850W | Case: Cooler Master Cosmos Pure Black

Dell P2715Q, 4K @t 60Hz :)

I think you could do a fast unboxing in the video review of that product, or at least say what comes in the box of the product.

But I agree with it, if it's to focus on other things and better quality for the channel, videos, and the daily news show.

Signatures are stupid.

I think after 19 pages the decision has been made lol but anywho...

I think the majority of the time you don't need to show you opening the box. As long as you show what comes with it etc.

But if you decided to stop doing doing unboxings... Then you aren't allowed to wear your professional unboxer shirt!

Edit: also bringing back the retro unboxings would be awesome!

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

I think you should still do unboxing videos. Generally when I want to check something out, basically for specs and features, I tend to look at your channel first before using Google. I like your on-point and first look at the products you unbox.

Mostly I look at your unboxing videos because I want to see if the product has what I want, I also like to hear your opinions as you list the features a product has.

But I also love the reviews and WAN show and such. So more that would be great.

Basically, I think the unboxing is great followed by the review day(s) later.

Command Center:

Case: Corsair 900D; PSU: Corsair AX1200i; Mobo: ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition; CPU: i7-3970x; CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i; GPU: 2x ASUS DCII GTX780Ti OC; RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (8x8) 2133MHz CL9; Speaker: Logitech Z2300; HDD 1: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB; HDD 2: 2x Samsung 540 EVO 500GB (Raid 0); HDD 3: 2x Seagate Barracuda 3TB (Raid 0); Monitor 1: LG 42" LED TV; Monitor 2: BenQ XL2420TE; Headphones 1: Denon AH-D7000Headphones 2Audio-Technica AD1000PRMHeadphones 3Sennheiser Momentum Over-EarHeadsetSteelseries Siberia Elite; Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RBG; Mouse: Steelseries Rival 300; Other: Macbook Pro 15 Retina (Mid-2014), PlayStation 4, Nexus 7 32GB (2014), iPhone 6 64GB, Samsung Galaxy S6 64GB

I do like seeing what is in the box and how it all is in the box because it is a big part of the product sometimes and if the box is bad then you expect the product to be bad, but most of the time I would much rather see a review in what they do, and the special features rather than "here is the product, look how cool it is/isn't, don't forget to subscribe"

No, I realy like your unboxings as well, it would be a shame to see them go away.
And I would personally like to see more motherboards, graphicscards, cases, mice etc. instead of phones and portable speakers and headphones. ( In the WAN show you can talk about everything, that is just for the videos)
Don't get me wrong your content is still amazing and I understand you don't want to do all of the same stuff but I am more interested in the real computer things than all the other side-tech things.
So keep the unboxings and if not, focus more on pc's I would say.
And i don't think there should be more build guides, If you know how to build a PC than is almost the same for every pc.
If not, It will probably still be awesome :)

I make Rainmeter things and other art :D

I like your unboxings but I think you should focus more in quality material, but still make unboxings of bigger more anticipated items like the next set of Amds and Nvidias graphics cards.And some other stuff like new peripherals.

My profile pic is the game i'm currently playing. I hope i remember to change it..