No more unboxings in Linus Tech Tips in 2014?

LinusTech

Personally I would love to see unboxings, that being said I don't need to see every motherboard or graphics card out there (Unless it is some absoultly amazing product).

But unboxings that are different like just recently the Bluetooth speakers I enjoyed seeing something other then all the hardware but something that i would love if LTT retained would be case unboxings. I believe that they show off features of the case that sometimes you can't see on a website, Along with the fact that you've seen literaly hundreds of cases you tend to know what is good and what isn't and are willing to point that out to anyone watching. 

That being said I believe that with fanaggeling of time LMG would be able to bring unboxings that are more then just pulling a motherboard out of a box and more like new and cool products that people might be interested in. Along with some great in depth reviews of products that, though take more time, will give some amazing content.

CPU:i5-3570k OC'd to 4.0 MOBO: MSI Z77A-G41 GPU: Asus 660Ti 2Gb OC Case: NZXT Source 210 Black and Windowed RAM: Kingston HyperX Black Series 8GB Storage: WD 1TB Caviar Black, 3TB WD Green, 120GB Kingston HyperX CPU Cooler: CM TX3 PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750W OS: Win 7 Perf: Corsair M65, Acer S220HQLAbd 21.5" Main with 17" Secondary, a Corsair K70, and ATH-M50's.

I would definitely like more quality over just content. I've been a fan for years, and like others, trust what you have to say about products. Having more in depth testing is always a good thing, even if there is less content being posted. The quality of the content will make up for the amount of content, and people will get more out of it. 

No offense, but, there are a ton of people doing unboxings these days. There are hundreds of other places I can go to get a video of a box being opened and someone telling me what's in it, but very very few places I can go for quality reviews of products, which is what you provide. 

I found you by seeing one of your unboxings last year. I do see why your thinking of not doing them any more but its been such a big part of what you do and i would be sad to see them go.

Desktop: CPU: I7-5820K GPU: 980Ti, 750Ti PhysX Mobo: MSI X99A SLI PLUS RAM: 4x4 Kingston DDR4 2400MHz OS: Win10
Storage: 250GB Samsung Evo, 3TB WD Black and Green FIRESTRIKE, Reason for dedicated PhysX Card.

Peripherals: Screen: 3x BenQ VZ2350 Mouse: Razer Naga Keyboard: Some Dell Thing Sound: Razer Tiamat, 5.1 Logitech Surround Speakers

i love your personalty and the way you make an ordinary unboxing just seem more interesting more involving, and  i dont know what it is but your one of those guys that just understands what there saying and knows what there talking about however to be honest perorsally i thing that the review's , gpu round ups stuff like that really is a strength of a group like yours as long as you dont keep it to to professional im down because those small joke those funny moments those nugget comments is what makes me at the end of the day click your videos over others so to answer you question yes and no im happy to see less content along as more work is put in to the video and keep your videos original keep them to your style because that's the style we like :P

| Contact Information |
My Teamspeak : Austs1.gameservers.com:9334  |  Steam: Iamtictac456  |  My other aliases include Scruffy and Scruffy Biggems :)

I would probably go for a large decrease in unboxing rather than abandon it all together, that way the more new and interesting products can still be displayed rather than anything everyone requests including your cat. 

i.e. things like the Shadow rock, pebble, O2 can be unboxed and things like cases, graphics cards, keyboards, hard drives etc. can be ignored. 

This. When a unique or highly anticipated product comes to the market, I think it'd be nice to see the first impression it makes.

It's not like drives or CPUs or GPUs are going to change in profoundly unexpected ways. But if something radically different comes out in one of those categories (like the WD Black Squared), maybe you could consider doing an unboxing.

Your high-quality content is definitely more important than unboxings on the whole. Keep doing what you're doing.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

stop doing unboxings, but instead in your reviews you can just quickly mention what comes in the box

this one

Unboxings are my favorite ltt videos :)

"if by "bass" you mean wet farts then yes, those are the razer crapkens"

Less unboxings, but not completely gone would be best. I'd love to see your first impressions on new products such as Oculus Rift, WD Black Squared etc, stuff that are new and real cool. Stuffs like graphics cards are more or less the same throughout, so one unboxing for each flagship should be sufficient, that way we still have unboxings and you have more time to spend on other videos!

Sorry about all of this text, I've never written anything this long before online, but I really care about your channel and I want to give my opinion. 

I'm very excited to see what's coming in the coming months with the more detailed content. I love watching the WAN show and the reason your channel stands apart from everyone else's is because you guys talk about not only a showcase of a product, but also your opinions on them (plus the silliness of course). Anyway, I guess where I'm going with this is I enjoy that type of content over unboxings. 

That said, I'm the type of viewer that watches every single one of the videos you upload (dunno if most people do or not). When I see an unboxing for a product I've heard of I watch it to see your opinions on it (for the record I wish you were more critical) and if you seem to really like it I'll remember it when I'm looking to buy something. These are the kinds of unboxings I really do enjoy and wish you would keep. The obvious example everyone is giving in this thread was the Xperia Z1 video from earlier today. It was absolutely perfect and I would hate to see content like that go. After watching it I feel as though I understand the pros and cons of the phone and I could recommend or not recommend it to someone based on what's in your video. I think this is the original idea in your unboxings and I'd go so far as to say that's the type of video you try to deliver every time. 

Unfortunately, most of your unboxings aren't that good. In fact, I'd go so far as to say most are quite useless. While entertaining to watch, I don't often care about these products and I don't get anything out of the videos. Take the example of the SCOTTEVEST you reviewed a while ago. This video feels as though some company I've never heard of sent you a product of theirs so you would feel compelled to make a video about it. Obviously it worked out great for them, but as a viewer I don't care about these types of videos and I don't want you wasting your time on products like these when you could be spending it on better content.

If it sounds like I'm going back and forth on this, well it's because I am. I guess the bottom line is it depends on how you define unboxing. I wouldn't mind if you stopped doing these random videos of products that I've never heard of or will never need. Those types of videos should be scrapped in favor of your better content. But detailed unboxings of products that you actually have a real opinion about, videos that are more than just a specs sheet, I would really like.

Please, Linus don't abandon unboxings all together. Instead, weed out the least important ones and focus your time on products actually worthy of a video. Not just whoever happens to send you a review sample. 

P.S. the image quality comparison video was the best video you've ever made, keep up stuff like that please!

I like getting a quick overview about and having exposure to some of these great products, but I find that I am missing a little bit because I am not really hearing much about these products, other than your initial impression or what people have been saying about the product.

Though I will miss the unboxing videos, I would much prefer the more fleshed out reviews of excellent products.

This sound good to me. The only thing i got to ask to you Mr. Linus is if its possible to instead of taking out unboxing, leave it to the Asian dude that does  unpacked?...or is that how its going to be? i am sorry if this is a stupid question. 

THE PIT VIPER SPECS

4790k @ 4.7ghz  (EVGA CLC 360MM) | 32GB Patriot Viper Extreme @2133 mhz | Asus Z97-DELUXE Cooler Master H500M.| EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3

I think it's a great thing. I mean, there are dozens of product unboxing on Youtube, but yet not really a thorough insight of the product itself. If people just want to see the thing come out of the box, then they can look that up elsewhere.

I love your Unboxing's there the best i look for almost any product and you have made it and i love that about Linus tech tips. 

Please Don't Stop Them

Aselwyn1

That's cool bro. Only thing I will ask is that in your reviews, talk a bit about the packaging and the accessories. This is a big reason I watch your unboxings so I can know if it has what I need and if it will survive the trip to my house ;)

P.S. Dont forget to mention if it comes with soft or hard foam :P

Never trust a hug. Its just a way to hide your face - The Doctor (Sounds something like the grumpy cat would say)

I find you unboxings to be a great and honest first impression of a product.  That can often be very telling of a product.  I would like the unboxings to keep coming.

i5-3570K @4.2ghz | Gigabyte Z77-DS3H | 16GB G. Skill Ripjaw 1600mhz 9-9-9-24 (2x8GB) | 120GB Vertex 3/640GB WD 7200RPM | AMD HD7950 @ 1025mhz | 600W Corsair CS600 | Hyper 212 CPU Cooler | 5x 120mm fans 79cfm | Ultra Defender Case

No, Cus how else are we going to get that nice wet feeling between out legs? Buy the products? Nah we are to cheap for that =D Just get Luke infront of the camera more he did a great job at that show you guys went to!

If you don't do unboxing, I'll be VERY disappointed. Especially considering I think you're about to unbox the biggest piece of tech of your life in late 2014/early 2015.... just sayn'

As other posters say, you're first impressions and gut instincts are very spot on.  Also like to see that you go more in depth on things you've unboxed.  This is where I believe your followers are coming from as well.  (Thus don't chop of the hand that feeds you.)

Model3TrackerModelXTracker / @ShuttleAkajor: 2017 Tesla Model X P100D

I'd rather have 1 build video than 15 unboxings, but I'd still like to watch (in detail) and hear your comments on the different products.

·· When I die i wan't to go peacefully - in my sleep, like my granddad - Not screaming in terror, like his passengers ··

·· [ while (!asleep()) { $sheep++} ] :: [ The Cave ] ··

I would honestly be alright with whatever you choose.

There are obvious benefits for you guys if you remove unboxings:

- More work time to focus on other content

- Less money and time going toward getting products early

- Less stress trying to crank out dozens of videos in a day

If removing unboxings from the LTT catalog seems like a good idea, then go for it, you have the numbers and knowledge to make that decision.

From my end, I just like to see LMG content, even if it isn't daily. The production quality has skyrocketed over this past year, and if you want to focus more on news, reviews, benchmarks, and more technical videos, I welcome your paradigm shift.

Zephyr:

3770k (Stock clock) w/ Zalman CNPS9900MAX-R | 16GB DDR3 @ 2133Mhz | 2x Radeon HD 6950 (Reference, stock clock) | Asrock Fatal1ty Z77 Professional | Thermaltake Toughpower Grand 1200w | 60GB SSD Boot, 750GB HDD Media, 1TB HDD Programs

I am ok with less unboxing's but only if you can get Esther to do more at NCIX :D

C0yote51

I really like your unboxing when you are genuinely excited about the product.

I think I'd continue to watch LTT without them. I just would like you to keep some as they are both informative (in term of what you really get in a box and first impression) and straight to the point  :)

To be fair, I can read 20 good written reviews online about a product; but, it's sometime hard to find a good unboxing/first look of some products (it's your unboxings that got me into computer afterall!).

That being said, you could surprise me with reviews (OCing gpu was a great idea and it's why I watch your GPUs review) and I like your guides! In the end, have fun doing the videos  ;)

Intel Core i7-5820k @ 4,6Ghz; Asus X99 Deluxe; GSkill Ripjaws 4 (4x4) 2400Mhz; MSi GTX 980 Reference @ 1.4Ghz; CM V700; Phanteks Enthoo Luxe; Windows 8.1 Pro

I rather enjoy your unboxing videos, but frankly i can see what comes in the box any were and i would rather see you deliver real tech news and advise. its not like you won't give use your 2 cents on a new good product anyway and if its really worth looking at you'll probably do a review and bench it so important for this change. any body can do an unboxing only you can give me the tech advice and news i trust.

So when I first found out about LTT it was an unboxing video. Watched a couple more and you had an instant sub. Then came January 2013, and I started building my own computer. I loved your videos on how to find a good GPU, PSU, etc. I found them extremely helpful.

I will still fully support LTT no matter what the choice is in the end, but I would actually prefer doing away with the unboxings in favor of better content. Yeah pulling a brand new piece of tech out of a box is cool and all, but I'd rather see how well it performs. It would be nice to see the occasional case unboxing still though... but at the same time seeing how well that case holds components of various sizes is more informational.

I actually think it's not such a great idea. Because when you do unboxing you give us a snapshot of a product that is fast to make, that means you can make content about more products that I would probably wouldn't hear about like the fuc.us or the or the gaming glass from steelseries. I would probably never hear about these if it wasn't for your unboxing. After that snapshot I can tell if I'm interested in that product and than do my regular research read and watch reviews ETC..

Also if you completely abandon unboxing to do reviews, the expectation will be huge. And I don't see you turn in to anadtech or jonnyguru. I think you should keep your focus on unboxings and do some reviews of the bigger products like phones, tablets.

I also don't think you have time for a lot of reviews, and I think people will expect a wrriten review to go along with the video with more details.

Please don't abandon unboxing. Your channel is (in my opinion) the best unboxing channels on YouTube