No more unboxings in Linus Tech Tips in 2014?

LinusTech

The unboxings are basically all I watch from you, but if you made more reviews, I'd watch them too. 

though I do enjoy your unboxings more then the rest, more tips reviews and such would be far more beneficial. Though I been working/building computers for 18 years now, still helps to keep on the new stuff, and always little things one forgets..so I say go for it..

@syrazpc - for all my rambles about PC's -- My Gallifreyan Build In Progress

Maybe I know it is a lot of work, but start a new channel to do only unboxing, but lazy with no production ones, may be even get someone in the crew, like Edzel to unbox some things to save you guys time, I know it is a lot of work but unboxings gives us chance to look at less important products, but might be just what some of us needed

I like the fact you review and unbox different sorts of tech, like the E vest, phones, GPUs etc. Would be great if you focused on what you feel is more exciting, relevant and interesting such as the Pebble among other things, daily news shows would be awesome.

Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.2Ghz | Evga GTX 780 Ti SC ACX with backplate | MSI Gaming 9 AC | 8GB (2x4) Corsair Vengeance Pro Silver 2400 MHz | Corsair H105 128GB Crucial MX100 | Toshiba 2TB | Evga 750G2 | Corsair Obsidian 750d | Be Quiet Silent Wings 2 PWM (3x140mm & 3x120mm)

It'd be sad to see the unboxings completely go.  I started watching your channel during the P67 motherboard unboxing days, so not seeing any more videos like that would be kind of a bummer, but that's just my opinion.

At first I was thinking "No! You need to stick to your roots" so to speak, but upon some more thinking. If you do more product showcases or benchmarks etc. Then by all means go ahead and if you have ways to increase your overall quality (which by my standards is already really high) then again by all means. 

If it overall you do more with your products then just opening them and seeing what's inside them in practical use cases then go ahead and do what you have planned!

Totally fine with that, instead of doing an unboxing just tell us what was included in the box at the start of the review (summarize things)

I think unboxing of the more interesting Stand alone things should still be done, but when ALL motherboards and Graphics cards and Cases are all the same these days... its better to do an overview or something... i think Unboxing is just getting to ":D yay i opened a box and look theres smaller boxes inside... AMAZING!!!!" 

Keep it short as possible and interesting is what i say :3 

Character artist in the Games industry.

I think the unboxings are great, but deeper reviews are ofcourse more useful. And i think you can just show the box to the people in the beginning of the video? :D But yes, if your amount of content doesn't decrease SO dramatically then why not quit unboxings? Better quality is always a good thing of course. But i also sometimes like to see something not THAT serious stuff. Keep a good balance on things and do it!

|OscillosC Build|+ Raspberry Pi [NAS] + Another G5 + Personal + HTPC: Asus Z87-A - Intel Core i5 4670K @ 4.5ghz 1.15v - Noctua NH-D14 - Gigabyte Radeon HD7870 OC @ 1170mhz core- Kingston HyperX 8gb 1600mhz CL9 - Samsung 840 PRO 128Gb SSD for Windows- Kingston V300 120gb for Ubuntu- WD Caviar Black 1Tb For games and programs - WD Caviar Green 2Tb For videos, photos, music, and backups- Seasonic P660 XP2 Platinum - Windows 8.1 PRO - Ubuntu 14.04 - Modded Bitfenix Ghost

Oh hell no, I'm not reading 20 pages of opinions just to check if my idea was posted already.

You can do an unboxing of every product you get, and then get feedback from community whether they'd like to see a review or not.

Well, you could skip the obvious like cases or GPUs, but with phones, or IDK, smartwatches, monitors, headphones this in-depth review would be quite welcome.

Get your community to get you feedback on individual cases (that might require some fancy voting system, but hey, it's an idea!)

"Never trust anyone and rely on your instincts" - If you know who said it, you're awesome

Reviews are important but your firs impression is relevant to us (Me) to. Could you do unboxing and then after while tell us your experience about product. Unboxing is the reason to why I have start to watching you channel in the first place – but it does not mean that I will stop doing it or stop supporting you if decide otherwise . Thanks. 

As helpful as the unboxings are, it is not like we can't get them from elsewhere, and a large portion of this community likes LINUS and SLICK, not necessarily because of what they do.

I would prefer the longer videos that are more in depth than the current state of LTT. I know that for myself, and the group of people I talk to from LTT, a lot of them would prefer the new way you propose as it will cause more discussion and knowledge on the given topic.

I am more likely to watch your videos if you use the new format, as oppose to the current one. As of late I have not been watching a lot of your videos as I have no interest in a lot of the product, and I have lots of interest in the news. Also, Newegg TV concentrate a lot more on PC internal goods, whereas LTT has started to do more in-ear headphones and random assortment of goods that the large majority of us will not buy and are not interested in.

Ryzen 5 1500x, Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4, GA-AB350N, 16GB 1600Mhz, EVGA GTX 970, 250GB Samsung 960 Evo, 120GB Samsung 840 Evo, 1TB WD Green & 2TB Seagate Barracuda. 650w OCZ ZX & Cooler Master Elite 130. Acer CB241HQK 4K, LG IPS234V-PN 1080p, Ducky Zero Shine All Blue/Anne Pro Brown/SteelSeries Apex Pro & Razer Naga 2014

I see your point: more quality. But don't forget what got us all here: the speed of your unboxings and all the information you cram into 5 to 10 minutes.

I support you if you do more thorough reviews and less unboxings, but don't stop them.

For example: do unboxings for keyboards, mice and so on, but reviews for more complex stuff like CPUs, GPUs...

And include some technology reviews for stuff like mantle, g-sync, the thermal management of nVidia and AMD,... Either in separate videos on tech quickie or rapidly in the reviews of the individual products.

So happy new year, and I whish you all the best for 2014, whatever you are doing.

It's kind of hard to say, as there I dont know how LinusTechTips would be without daily unboxings and with a daily news shows. At first, to me it sounds like you would be getting away from the products, not actually showing the consumer experience when opening the box. For daily content it would be a bit more abstract, just covering news/ informations.

Less content, isnt always bad, I guess. Leaving out stuff like bluetooth speakers, either portable for your pants or in your shower, would be ok :P, unless you keep the more enthusiast gear, like graphics cards, cases, ssds, monitors, etc. I still would want to get informed about things you can actually buy, and why I should or should not.

Maybe with a different branding like 'product showcase'. Focusing on whats important, in the box. So say, if there is a drivers disc encluded with a graphics card, I think its not necessary to mention it, but if there are special tools encluded with it, things that seperate a product, make it different, I would like to have it mentioned in a video.

Something that is pretty close to what I just explained, are your recent graphics card 'unboxing and review' in videos. Again, I would not need to see the box, the packing material, or the drivers disk, unless its something special, but I really enjoy watching those b-roll shots and meanwhile hearing you explaning the technical specifications.

It would be more of a refined style of unboxings, that I'd like to see in the future. As long as amount*quality doesnt decrease.

Thats whats in my mind for now about this. Ill post again, after thinking some time about it.

Personal Build Project "Rained-On"

helped building up the CPU Overclocking Database and GPU Overclocking Database, check them out ;)

#KilledMyWife #MakeBombs #LinusIsNotFunny || Please, dont use non-default grey font colors. Think about the night-theme users! ;)

I really like the unboxings, but I do feel like it's an inefficient format to talk about products.  What if there were multiple unboxings in one video and they were just done in lumps?  or you included the unboxing with the product being reviewed.  It is very nice to watch an unboxing of a product I am interested in and to know your basic impressions of it along with the specifications of it.

PC Specs: MSI X99S SLI Krait Edition -- Corsair Carbide Air 540

2x Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 -- Corsair H100i Watercooler -- EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 PSU

i7 5820k @ 4.5Ghz -- 16GB Mushkin DDR4 2800Mhz -- 128GB Mushkin SSD + 120GB Kingston HyperX -- 3TB Seagate Barracuda

I'm gonna cast my vote as keep the unboxings. I discover tonnes of new products through you (my choice in case was made much easier with your unboxings). The more focus on more specific products will undoubtedly allow for higher quality videos, but if you review a product people aren't that interested in, then it will be wasted effort. I'm for keeping the unboxings anyway 

Feel free to message me if you want to chat!

I would definitely support something like this.  I especially like the idea of a daily news show and higher quality, more informatve content.  While I like the unboxings, the main reason I started waching was on your informational and review videos.  I really like watching some of the older NCIX Tech Tips videos from time to time for that very reason.  I say go for it.

System: Intel Core i5 3570K OC@ 4.4GHz | Cooler Master Hyper N520 | ASUS Maximus V Gene | 8GB Mushkin 1866MHz RAM | MSI R7970 Lightning | Seasonic X-850 | Fractal Design Define R4 White Windowed Edition

Peripherals: BenQ XL2420T 1920x1080@120Hz | Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless (with Cherry MX Browns) Mechanical Keyboard | Razer DeathAdder Left-handed Edition Mouse | ODAC to various things

Linus, I think you should transition to more guides, reviews and benchmarking videos, kind of like what you have been doing recently.  I like the benchmarking videos with Slick (e.g. recent AC4 one) and your phone reviews (e.g Sony Xperia). 

IMO there are a lot of products that unboxing videos aren't really that important for, like mice or power supplies.  What I'd like to see instead are guides for a group of products (say MMO oriented mice) where you go through and do a short review on each one, what you think, what Slick thinks; more in depth, more technical and higher quality than the guides you do on the NCIXCOM channel. 

Keep up the great work, I am enjoying the changes you have made thus far! :D

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

I dont think you should completely abandon the idea of unboxings, but just not make them into single videos. Include a portion of the unboxing in review videos, perhaps as b-roll footage while going over specifications and details.

idea++;

I vote to go with this idea too. (If you do decided to get rid of them though I'd still watch.)

"Her tsundere ratio is 8:2. So don't think you could see her dere side so easily."

Planing to make you debut here on the forums? Read Me First!

unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society

Id still say keep the Major new things like new GPU's/MOBO's but ditch the "mouse unboxing etc"

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

I think it's great. Unboxings are often boring, you end up spending a lot of time trying to figure out ways to make it more exciting. Integrating them into the reviews or not doing them at all is completely fine. I'd certainly rather have more quality videos than spend my days watching 3 minute unboxing videos of random stuff. LTT has evolved a lot since the days it was basically JUST unboxings, and should now evolve further and be JUST about great content.

I agree

Nothing to see here, move along

Second reply: even tough I would enjoy in-depth reviews, I watch your channel because of the quick unboxings and technology overviews. If you want to add content like what can be found on TTL's channel, I'm fine with it, but keep it fresh :)