No more unboxings in Linus Tech Tips in 2014?

LinusTech

Depends on the product. Some things work better with benchmarks or in-depth reviews like graphics cards, sound cards, headphones and so on. Some can just be part of a single-category video once every now and then like SSDs, Keyboards, CPU coolers and so. However things like motherboards and cases the unboxing is helpful and arguably all that's needed.

If I'm after a case or a motherboard having a video that tells me where everything is and how solid it is is useful. I wouldn't want to see that content go away in favor of less cases/motherboards being covered with more depth. Cases in particular I want to keep all options open and the actual "performance" is hard to measure. For everything else more detail matters.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

It really depends on the kind of content you will add in reviews, but I think unboxings are great: you get to go over the main features and specs without it being boring if you know what I mean. I also like the "unprofessional" and relaxed style a lot more than the strict, "scrypt" style. Whichever way you decide, I will always support this channel as you are my hero:) Keep the great content coming in 2014!:) Good luck to the crew, I hope everyone stays there:)

I don't mind no more unboxings, as long as you include them when you review computer cases (If that makes sense)

Do you want to know what grinds my gears?
The old forum.

I'd say 95% of the time I can figure out what the maker is including in the box, or can easily search it myself.

I love hearing your opinion on new technology, specially brand new things you're getting during/right before launch, however I understand that making a video of something you're just opening gives you a very limited amount of things to work with. It's basically a reading of the box's specs. Some products don't even lend themselves too well for unboxings.

A recent example, your green switch keyboard is a very interesting product but there's not much to say about it without spending a couple days using it exclusively.

At this point, I honestly watch pretty much all your videos (LinusCatTips included! haha) and yet I feel that a good review that takes some time to make is better than a rushed video of you throwing away driver discs and VGA cables.

If the packaging the product came in is such a work of art that it needs sharing you could mention it or bring it onscreen during the review.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, I wish you and the team lots of success during 2014 :)

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

Hi Linus,

I think that would be a great move. I've been watching your channel since the early days and i always felt like something to really make it great was missing. That said i don't think you should do away with unboxings completely,they should be embedded in the review like most of the people in the thread suggest.

Yes unboxings are the foundation of your company,but you have to evolve with the growing market and cater to a greater audience who really want to know what they're getting from their product and in depth comparisons.

Contrary to what other posts suggest in this thread, I think what really made your channel successful is your personality,how reachable you are in your profession. When I'm watching your videos i feel like I'm listening to a friend tell me about the product.

In the end,the decision lies upon you,as you're the leader of your company,and I'll fully respect whichever direction you decide to take.

Regards,

Cyberpunk

CPU:Intel Core i7-3770k@4.5Ghz |GPU: EVGA GTX 670 FTW B) Signature 2 |Motherboard: MSI Mpower Z77 Big Bang |RAM: 16GB G.skill Ripjaws X @ 1600 MHz |HDD: WD 2TB|Case: Corsair Obsidian 800DPSU: Corsair TX850|MouseLogitech G400 + Steelseries Qck Heavy |Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow |Monitor: X-Star DP2710 1440p :rolleyes: |Headies: CM Storm Sirus S 5.1 

I think maybe to balance out all the tasks you are handling as a whole (Whole= Media Group, not just you Linus). It was evident from the end of last week's WAN show that you were very very tired. In all honesty removing some of the unboxings would probably do you and everyone else very good to lower the workload a wee bit.

HOWEVER, in saying this i think maybe you should strongly consider some of the other aspects of the group to optimise everyone's workloads in order to make something special like the WAN show every week less monumentus a task and more enjoyable for all involved (Technical and mental capacity issues aside).

For example, as someone who works and attends university i try to find time to keep up with your channel. However i freely admit to only looking at things considered relevant to  my interests that garner your opinion that foster my feelings towards buying PC hardware for instance upon your recommendation or critique. For example i tend to watch reviews and overviews for CPus, GPus and Motherboards a heck of alot more than HDDS/SSDs or Audio Cards, but just because i don't doesn't mean someone else does too.

Overviews with Reviews i think are excellent and showcasing products should be done on a week by week basis according to workload. I think such things like Techquickies (dependant on time utilised) should be done to be perfectly honest on a more Monthly basis with an opportunity for the community (Youtube and Forums) to give an opinion on what they would like you to answer over everyone spamming you on the WAN show everyweek during a twitter blitz.

As for a daily news section, i see this just being a burden much more than an advantage..i think something like a news bloc done every 3 days or so would be better and more efficient...unless everyone felt it was more than viable to do camera sessions daily.

Business Advertisements should make a decent priority as obviously LMG needs to earn money...i don't think this needs to be changed so much as making sure that advertisements should maybe be considered as integrated into the WAN Show before it airs as a good opportunity for product recognition and marketing as well as the usual approach.

And lastly, considering Slick's already mammoth workload with benchmarking....as someone who keenly follows his benchies and communicates with him heaps about what he does and upcoming games he tests out...maybe consider doing a pop-block showcasing all the cards you would happily recommend at overclocked settings (which you also like) with current and relevant games that Slick would be HAPPY (See:Slick's sanity and sleep patterns) to promote on the LTT channel with the chance of allowing him some more screentime so you Linus can promote the technology/Card from a Hardware standpoint...and allow slick to purely give info from the gaming standpoint across many titles in a slam duck session.

That way everyone (i guess) can pace out their work more easily and ultimately give better quality content across the board. You guys already do an exceptional job (like i have said before) but make sure first and foremost that everyone feels happy about what they aim to provide and that the business doesn't become the primary concern over more important things like Family, sleep, finances and ultimately overall stress.

Great work for 2013 guys and look forward to whatever you all have planned for 2014!

i wouldn't mind seeing unboxings and reviews in the same video

2017 Macbook Pro 15 inch

Personally, I think that would be too extreme. Your unboxings are in no small part responsible for your success thus far, and I'm sure quite a few viewers would be a little disappointed to see them disappear altogether.

Perhaps reserve unboxings only for products you are genuinely interested in, or feel deserve more attention. I feel that viewers can be quite easily overwhelmed when you have a colossal number of unboxings videos coming out - focusing instead on making high quality unboxing and overview videos on the select products you actually find interesting or appealing (be that on a personal or technological standpoint) would be a great way of maintaining a higher level of quality in such videos, keeping the community avidly interested in the channel and allowing you to invest more time into the other types of videos that you do.

Ultimately, I will be happy so long as we continue to receive high quality videos of any kind. But I would be happiest if we were to have a good unboxings at least now and again. :)

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

I think dropping unboxings is ok as most items of similar type also come with similar accessories in the box. But I wouldn't mind if you done an occasional unboxing of something when it actually has stuff out of the norm that could sway a person's opinion on the product. So for me I say reviews and quality content all the way unboxings are mostly boring cause they are usually just the same this is product A that comes with B accessories. So do you what you like.

As some of the others said, i think you should cut back on unboxings, but not cut them out completely. You should only do unboxings of things you want to do unboxings of, that way your excitement comes through to the audience and it makes it more enjoyable for both parties.

I found myself watching your unboxings less than before (now I just watch them if I'm interested in the product or if it seems interesting to me). Full reviews would be great but I'd like first impressions and unboxings too. Tough choice. I think the format in wich you unbox a graphic card and then Slick shows off the benchmarks is very good.(My interest is mostly in GPU's anyway)  I'll respect your decision either way, keep up the good work  :)

CPU : Intel Core i7 3960X, Mobo : X79-UD3, Memory : 4x4GB Vengeance Black Memory 1600MHz, GPU : Asus GTX 970 Strix, Case : Switch 810 Matte Black, Storage : 256GB Samsung 830 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, PSU : Thermaltake 750W 80+ Bronze, Displays : 3x Asus 1080p Screens, Cooling : Corsair H100i, Keyboard : Logitech G710+, Mouse : Madcat Cyborg R.A.T.7, Sound : Sennheiser HD598, V-Moda Crossfade LP, Logitech Z-5500, HMD : Oculus Rift CV1

Yeah, try to find a balance, but don't cut it out completely.

I love the unboxings, because I like to know what to expect in a product before I buy it! Maybe you could unbox the items before you review them, so you don't have to make a separate video. I'm talking about a short 2-3 minute unbox, then you continue with the review, or guide, depending on the product... But please, don't take the unboxings away completely! 

CPU: AMD FX 6100 Stock - MB: Asus M5A97 EVO - RAM: AMD Memory Entertainment Edition 2x4 GB 1600 MHz - PSU: Topower 650W NANO - SSD: Samsung 840 120GB - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 500 GB 7200 RPM - GPU: Sapphire HD 7770 Vapor - X OC - CASE: Aerocool Strike - X Advance (Red/Black) - OS: Windows 7 Ultimate x64

the only reason i subscribed to your channel was because of your unboxing videos and tips videos...
if you really must do away with unboxing videos can't you combine the unboxing and review?

im okay with anything as long as i get tech content :D

CPU: i7 4770k@4.3Ghz GPU: GTX 780ti Motherboard: ROG maximus vi formula PSU: Evga supernova 1000w Platinum

Case: NZXT Switch 810 Memory: g.skill ripjaws X Cooler: Corsair h100i(getting custom loop when i get money next) Storage: Samsung 840 evo 250gb Keyboard: Corsair K95 Mouse: SteelSeries Rival

Don't do it! Love your unboxings, especially when you wear your Professional Unboxer Shirt. Keep the unboxings coming in 2014!

I actually like this idea... There have been times when you unboxed a product and I've thought to myself "Oh. Hey. That's really interesting, I'd love to learn about how well it works." And then I look for a follow-up video on the performance, and you don't have one. It'd be great if I could learn more about the products you have, since most of the unboxings I just watch and forget anyways. Though you should add a section on the fourm where you can post really interesting products and the like. I mean, without your unboxings I never would've found the Logitech G602 or the Swiftech PWM 8 way fan controller, or the bitpheonix alchemy case lights... I'd still like to hear about these things, so if you could find some way to get content out (or let the community do it!) about these types of things, that would be perfect!

I am slightly okay with this...

First off, I would like you to continue some unboxings. These are what drive the majority of your viewers to bet interested in a product. I bought a corsair 350d after your unboxing of it, and I am going to build an ~$2800 system in it, all from one video. Your unboxings also help smaller companies with little press to get a larger interest in their products.

I feel that you should continue to do unboxings, but only with the things you review, and in the same video as the in-depth review of the product. If the product is not worth an in-depth review, then it is not worth an unboxing, and therefor, not worth the press. If you find a cool thingy, but can't do a video on it, tweet it or mention it in the WAN show.

-Thanks for reading!

Get someone else to unbox Linus, or do it less. Maybe Luke or a future member of the techtips team.

Really dont wanna see you stop unboxing. Especially because i remember you from you're first videos. So seeing you change eveeything is kinda wied. Makes me sad to see.

But if you dont wanna unbox amymore i will off cause support you and understand why you need to change you're content.

Hardware: Intel I7 4790K 4Ghz | Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Gigabyte 780 Windforce OC | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB | Seagate 500Gb 7200Rpm | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | Noctua NF12 | SupremeFX 2014 | Patriot Viper 3 16GB.

Gaming Gear: Cooler Master TK Stealth | Sennheiser PC350SE | Steelseries Rival | LG IPS23L-BN ' 5ms | Philips Brillians 144hz 

Why do unboxings and reviews have to be mutually exclusive? To me, one of the selling points of reviews- especially of a product I have either bought or am considering to buy- is to see what I will be getting my hands on when I open the delivery box. A quick unboxing and a summary of items included should be always a part of a review.

Your unboxings are also informitive at the same time. I've learned a lot of what I know about computers from listening to your on-the-spot comments and explanations for why things are certain ways.

Your unboxings are quick, easy, informational, and they apparently don't take very much time to make. You'll put out more content on Youtube which ultimately means more money for you and a happy fan base as well. Why would you abandon them?

FX 8150 @ 4.0 GHz, MSI Radeon 7850 OC Edition, 2 x 4 gigs of GSkill Sniper ddr3 at 2133 MHz, two 120 gig Kingston HyperX 3K ssds, Crosshair V Formula, Antec High Current Gamer 620 watt psu, all wrapped up inside a Cooler Master CM Storm Stryker.

It seems I would have to agree with the majority. Cutting back on unboxings and focusing on the WAN show.  I would be happy with 1.5-2 hour WAN show where you guys aren't tired and in a hurry to get other stuff done and personal time. Maybe even a half hour after party I and I think a lot of others really enjoy when you guys are just speaking what comes to your minds rather than "trying" to be professional. I think that's what sets your crew apart from there others, you guys can be serious when it needs to be and then just down right honest and goofy.

Although I think no matter what you guys decide you will always have you loyal fan base and die hard computer guys. I think the only people you would lose are the stragglers who just come around once and a while just to see some tech.

Either way you will always have your fan base. As a follower from damn near the vary start you content has changed dramatically from being on NCIX 90% of the time and bouncing back and forth from your personally channel and now on your own. You content was always informative, enjoyable and had that spin of Linus (This cable is x amount of Linus arm lengths, chucks it off to the side).

Either way I will still be waiting for content along with many others, no matter which it happens to be.

CPU - 1090T @ 4.2 1.50v!! Water         GPU - 4gb 680 @ 1407 1.212v water          Memory - 8 Gb G.Skill         Crosshair V Formula          2 X 1Tb WD Black raid 0

All in a ghetto case

I suggest to not really abandon it completely; I mean Unboxing is what made you the Linus today. Make it fewer, but please don't abandon it :)