OnePlus 5’s Display is Inverted( they screwed up the display, now it has a Jellylike effect)

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

This phone has been in water. 

Mystery solved (but not really)

shrug

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

7 hours ago, Technicolors said:

so i tried this on my nexus 6p.. flipped the phone 180 degrees and scrolled. i think there's a bit of a jelly effect, but i cannot be too sure 

Haha I tried my 6p. There is a small jelly effect but it's really small. Like not enough that I care. 

honestly this is such a non issue for me. wow a small visual glitch when something moves fast from the bottom of the screen to the top, this will really affect how well i can use my phone /s. its not like its going to influence consuming content in any way as far as i know.

Woah, good that I bought the 3T instead of waiting for the 5! 

Love mine though 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

You do get what you pay for with OnePlus, they have always been reliable to me unlike another brands 800€ flagships.

Maybe the OnePlus 5 is the start of their downfall, but the 3T and OnePlus 1 were all great devices.

Groomlake Authority

I feel like since the OnePlus 2 (which I owned for a total of 3 days) they've gone down hill rapidly. Their customer support is horrible as well as their phones. 

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

9 minutes ago, sof006 said:

I feel like since the OnePlus 2 (which I owned for a total of 3 days) they've gone down hill rapidly. Their customer support is horrible as well as their phones. 

I'm a happy Oneplus 3 owner. Just avoid their uneven years. 

Oneplus 1 - 2014 - Great

Oneplus 2/X - 2015 - Awful 

Oneplus 3/3T - 2016 - Great

Oneplus 5 - 2017 - Awful? 

Why is SpongeBob the main character when Patrick is the star?

21 minutes ago, Nicholatian said:

Mother of god… you can’t be talking about Linux, can you? I thought I knew it all! Damn it all to hell!

zoom zoom

my early linux days, the amount of cringe was amazing back then 

but stick to it anyway and i've never regretted removing Windows from all my drives 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

12 hours ago, nerdslayer1 said:

it's because AMOLED uses pulse width modulation to control brightness and it applies voltage to part of the screen which runs like a stripe from top to bottom repetitively, this can also happen to an LCD display. 

Most modern LCDs use DC to control the backlight so it won't have the 'scan lines' you see on AMOLED. Cheaper or older LCDs, sure. So I don't see something like an iPhone 7 having this jelly effect unless it's not the combination of PWM + inverted display causing it.

8 hours ago, nerdslayer1 said:

it might be, you might not be able to notice or it might not be as prevalent on your device. FYI AMOLED panels refreshing from bottom to top, they screwed up the connector, so.......

stupid evidence, they ruin everything 

stupid one plus lying about how all phones are affected, as i stated READ the article before commenting on it.  https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/29/15894850/oneplus-5-screen-jelly-scrolling-statement

I think it's kinda like Samsung users. Half will say it doesn't lag and most of them will say that simply because they can't see it or don't know what to look for. So I don't think it's necessarily malicious or straight up denial. However, what is clear that the other half can see and the right equipment can measure it so ultimately it's not up to debate whether it's there or not. What's debatable is whether it's a problem or not. In both cases I'd say: yes it's a problem.

7 hours ago, themctipers said:

rip its red

shrug face here

So someone did dunk it in water while you were asleep lol

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

13 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

The only thing it seems to be killing is its reputation. 

They would need to have a reputation to kill first. 

#20,000

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

10 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

The Pixel is like paying for an iPhone but you arent getting any of the cool stuff that an iPhone has......

For me, it's about android and not having to deal with bloatware on my phone and actually getting software updates on time.

I understand why some like iPhones, but the customizability on android wins me over. On iPhones you can't customize the bunch of settings in the notification shade. On iPhones you can't use custom launchers. On iPhones you can't stick an app anywhere you want, you can't have multiple copies of the same app on your home screen, and EVERYTHING has to be on the home screen, you can't just stuff stuff you rarely use in an app drawer. On iOS you can't download apps online, and the downloading stuff is way harder. On android you can set default apps.

Don't get me wrong, iOS is a great os, it's just that it's not the right os for my phone.

The reason I'd choose a Pixel over a different smartphone mainly is bloatware and software updates. I don't want to have to deal with extra stuff on the os that I don't need, and I also can't stand waiting for new software updates. I pretty much waited over 7 months for Marshmallow on my OnePlus 2 (which I wanted, mainly because of doze), and now it's been around 9 months since nougat came out and I still don't see nougat anywhere (which I also want, mainly for split screen reasons as well as the notification changes). If someone else comes out with a phone that isn't too bloated, has good software updates, and is pretty good though I might consider it (htc comes to mind, I believe they promise software updates for 2 years within 90 days of them being released).

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Wow, that would be very distracting really. Kinda reminds me of old weaker touch screen scrolling in a way.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

2 hours ago, DocSwag said:

On iPhones you can't customize the bunch of settings in the notification shade.

You can, just not to the same degree as you can on Android 

On iPhones you can't use custom launchers

True, but when you look at most people they don't run custom launchers anyway, and Imo custom launchers are rather silly tbh. 

On iPhones you can't stick an app anywhere you want, you can't have multiple copies of the same app on your home screen, and EVERYTHING has to be on the home screen, you can't just stuff stuff you rarely use in an app drawer.

Very valid, although I do not understand the appeal of putting apps anywhere, I tried using "anchor" when I was jailbroken which allowed me to put apps wherever and it felt like I had to fight the device in order to move apps from page to page since a gap is present. 

I think Apple knows that and thats why they don't want to add it. I think this is a case of Apples infinite Wisdom, and I agree with them. 

On iOS you can't download apps online

No you can, just side load the app. As long as its a legit developer you are good to go. 

Don't get me wrong, iOS is a great os, it's just that it's not the right os for my phone.

This is the biggest factor, iOS simply doesn't work for you, and in my case Android simply doesn't work for me. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

3 hours ago, Castdeath97 said:

So someone did dunk it in water while you were asleep lol

lol yea

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

I bought a Oneplus 5 on release, the sim tray did not lign up with the side of the phone and i got a replacement. Tested both phones for the jelly effect and i could not see it and still cant. So far i am pretty damn happy with the phone, its about 300$ cheaper than other flagship phones like the S8 and U11.

Only problem i have had so far is a loud screeching sound that suddently happens mid call, after the person im talking to cant hear me anymore and they fall in and out on my end. Could be the phone or could be the provider, still not sure.

Ryzen 7 3700x, MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX, 16GB Ballistix Elite 3600MHz, MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio, Corsair RM750x V2

1 hour ago, Hemanse said:

Only problem i have had so far is a loud screeching sound that suddently happens mid call, after the person im talking to cant hear me anymore and they fall in and out on my end. Could be the phone or could be the provider, still not sure.

If it doesn't happen with other phones or didn't happen before you got the OnePlus, then it's not the provider. 

13 hours ago, FloRolf said:

Woah, good that I bought the 3T instead of waiting for the 5! 

Love mine though 

Good choice, 3/3T has a better camera with OIS.

18 hours ago, nerdslayer1 said:

a defective design? 

I'm with him on this to be honest. It settles once you've stopped scrolling, so it's not like you can't read anything. Unless you happen to read your entire twitter feed in seconds by scrolling through like a flippin superhero with speed reading abilities.

DAEDALUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 - 1600 @ 3.7Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo Black Edition // Motherboard: Asus RoG Strix B350-F Gaming // Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce 6GB GDDR5 // Memory: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair LPX Vengeance 3000Mhz // Storage: WD Green - 250GB M.2 SATA SSD (Boot Drive and Programs), SanDisk Ultra II 120GB (GTA V), WD Elements 1TB External Drive (Steam Library) // Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro 700W // Case: BeQuiet Silentbase 600 with SilentWings Mk.2 Internal Fans // Peripherals: VicTop Mechanical Gaming Keyboard & VicTsing 7200 DPI Wired Gaming Mouse

PROMETHEUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.2Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master 212 EVO // Motherboard: Foxconn 2ABF // Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5450 (For Diagnostic Testing Only) // Memory: 2 x 4GB DDR3 Mushkin Memory // Storage: 10TB of Various Storage Drives // Power Supply: Corsair 600W // Case: Bitfenix Nova Midi Tower - Black

SpeedTest Results - Having Trouble Finding a Decent PSU? - Check the PSU Tier List!

7 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

This is the biggest factor, iOS simply doesn't work for you, and in my case Android simply doesn't work for me.

Yeah this exactly.

We can argue all day about which os is better but at the end of the day we just prefer certain things.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

14 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

my early linux days, the amount of cringe was amazing back then
*Snip Videos*

but stick to it anyway and i've never regretted removing Windows from all my drives 

Oh man I remember trying Ubuntu 9 for the first time and thinking that "Jelly" was so cool.
But its cool factor quickly died after a few minutes.

But man I know for a fact I would notice this 'Jelly effect', and get super annoyed about it. It reminds me a bit of the "bowing" that some 'flat screen' CRTs had, and how much it annoyed me in side scrolling videogames.
I am kinda surprised though that screens actually do have a proper orientation. I would not have expected that.

But if they marketed this as a feature...

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

On 6/30/2017 at 10:34 PM, nerdslayer1 said:

android is a more customizable OS, it's very hard to give that up. 

Having used an Android device Im very hard pressed to find the "customization" that is widely proclaimed. 

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0