[UPDATED] Der8auer States Some X299 Low End boards Have Bad VRM Coolers

On 6/28/2017 at 6:05 PM, Lord Nicoll said:

Well, it seems der8auer has had issues with the VRM coolers and single 8 pin connectors on X299 boards. In this video, he shows the VRMs get up to 100°C on the board, as he estimates the VRM modules themselves are probably at TJunction max, and the single 8 pin connectors on PSUs can hit 60°C when overclocking the 10 core models, oops.

He blames the manufacturers and Intel, which might be fair, since the launch was moved forward, so watch out if picking an X299 board folks. This probably won't be so much of an issue for normal users with 6 and 8 core units, but if you buy the 10 core chip and clock it to 4.5GHz, there is a chance the cooler on the VRM and power connector might overheat, that really isn't good for high end stuff

Does this issue effect all of the cpus or only the higher core ones that are overclocked, i have a skylake x will this effect me in any way?

3 hours ago, Lays said:

Throwing 4 dies on one PCB and making the chip the size of pluto, not rushed at all! 

And how does having a scalable architecture where you make all cpus from 1 base die, thus having huge yields and making a large profit at a lower price to the consumer make it rushed? That sounds like a design rather than rushed.

35 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

using more than 1 die isn't rushed at all, in fact it should mean they can pick the best 8 core dies they have and put that on the package instead. It looks like on Thread Ripper at least, half of the cores will be disabled if they go with 4 dies, meaning you really will be getting the best, I'd say only EPYC has the full 4 dies though, no point in wasting dies, 

TR is two dies

having more dies with disabled cores suck because infinity fabric is great but it's not godlike

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

1 minute ago, tom_w141 said:

Hey link me the Threadripper review you are referring to.

does Lisa Su at a conference count as a review?

also I don't think I was referring to any reviews =/

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

17 minutes ago, Dreaper said:

Does this issue effect all of the cpus or only the higher core ones that are overclocked, i have a skylake x will this effect me in any way?

Only the higher core count ones with the lower end boards, I should edit the post to make that clearer, the 6 core chips and to a certain extent the 8 core one should be fine when moderately overclocked and no extended test is used. What board did you buy?

Yours faithfully

2 hours ago, Notional said:

9fd7904a388a488789cce12ebbc2a649_XL.jpg

This isn't a 7640X. Kabylake-X doesn't have 2 substrates. This is a 7900X :P

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Just now, PCGuy_5960 said:

That makes even less sense. Why the double substrate? Intel STAHP!

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

4 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

No the 7740 and 7640 also have the 2nd subtraight, google it. All LGA2066 have the two substraight package construction. 

edit: although you are right, the kaby Lake X dies are the same size as normal ones, so this isn't a kaby lake X chip

Yours faithfully

Just now, Notional said:

That makes even less sense. Why the double substrate? Intel STAHP!

It's easier, because they can use the same substrate for Xeons and Skylake-X CPUs. AMD does the same thing, but instead of using the same substrate, they use the same die :P

Just now, Lord Nicoll said:

No the 7740 and 7640 also have the 2nd subtraight, google it. All LGA2066 have the two substraight package construction. 

Watch the video smarty pants. Only Skylake-X has 2 substrates

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Just now, PCGuy_5960 said:

Watch the video smarty pants. Only Skylake-X has 2 substrates

Odd, I seen an earlier one that had a tiny die on the same 2nd package, maybe that was an engineering sample one. It still sucks these aren't indium soldered.

Yours faithfully

9 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

Only the higher core count ones with the lower end boards, I should edit the post to make that clearer, the 6 core chips and to a certain extent the 8 core one should be fine when moderately overclocked and no extended test is used. What board did you buy?

Havent bought any board yet just waiting but i have to get a ATX one

Just now, Dreaper said:

if you have the 6 core chips than sorta any board will be fine, but I'd advise one with an 8+4 or 8+8 power pin and good VRM heatsink just because. 

Yours faithfully

Just now, Lord Nicoll said:

if you have the 6 core chips than sorta any board will be fine, but I'd advise one with an 8+4 or 8+8 power pin and good VRM heatsink just because. 

Which one has the 8+4/8+8?

1 minute ago, Dreaper said:

Just get one with a good cooler on the VRM.  The VRM itself isn't the issue.  It's the poor coolers attached to the VRM on the cheaper x299 boards that's allowing the VRM to get too hot.  Find one that uses a quality single heatsink or a dual heatsink setup joined via a heatpipe and you'll be just fine.

I'm putting a ridiculous amount of power through mine while testing Cinebench R15 performance at 4.9 GHz on a 7900X 10 core.  I'm talking 500w at the wall for CPU and system draw and my VRM doesn't even get really warm and there damn sure isn't any throttling. 

You're going to love how strong these cores are on Skylake-X.

Right now I'm at 220cb for single core and 2763cb for multi.

2763-220.jpg

4 minutes ago, Dreaper said:

EVGA has 2, of example.  The "Black" and the "FTW-K" versions have 2 x 8.

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 7,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt-3 Interface |

Displays: 3 x LG 32UL950-W displays |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Display: Asus PG32UQX 4K/144Hz displayBenQ EW3280U display

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

Just now, done12many2 said:

Just get one with a good cooler on the VRM.  The VRM itself isn't the issue.  It's the poor coolers attached to the VRM on the cheaper x299 boards that's allowing the VRM to get too hot.  Find one that uses a quality single heatsink or a dual heatsink setup joined via a heatpipe and you'll be just fine.

I'm putting a ridiculous amount of power through mine while testing Cinebench R15 performance at 4.9 GHz on a 7900X 10 core.  I'm talking 500w at the wall for CPU and system draw and my VRM doesn't even get really warm and there damn sure isn't any throttling. 

You're going to love how strong these cores are on Skylake-X.

Right now I'm at 220cb for single core and 2763cb for multi.

2763-220.jpg

So which ones have a good heatsink?

Just now, jasonvp said:

EVGA has 2, of example.  The "Black" and the "FTW-K" versions have 2 x 8.

But are they realised them? 

1 minute ago, Dreaper said:

ASUS Prime X299-Deluxe, ASUS PRIME X299-A,  ASUS TUF X299 MARK I, ASUS TUF X299 MARK 2, GIGABYTE AORUS X299 AORUS Gaming 7, GIGABYTE AORUS X299 AORUS Gaming 9,MSI X299 GAMING PRO CARBON AC, MSI X299 GAMING M7 ACK.

All of those boards have more than 1 power connector for the CPU. I'm not sure which is the best. This isn't a complete list either, just the page of Newegg US's online store 

Yours faithfully

1 minute ago, done12many2 said:

Wait, you managed to get 4.9 Jigahertz? How many volts did that require? o.O

2 minutes ago, Dreaper said:

So which ones have a good heatsink?

Man, you're going to have to do a bit of research.  The dual heatsink design with a heatpipe is optimal.  If you find one that only has one heatsink, then research it and make sure it's up to the task.

Most of the cheaper boards will not have good heatsinks.  This is no different then any other platform.  Hell, my son's z170 board throttles 7700K CPUs with high clocks unless you put a fan on the VRM.  It has a cheap cooling design on the VRM. 

2 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Wait, you managed to get 4.9 Jigahertz? How many volts did that require? o.O

1.26v  I LOVE THIS FUCKING CPU!!

Just now, done12many2 said:

Man, you're going to have to do a bit of research.  The dual heatsink design with a heatpipe is optimal.  If you find one that only has one heatsink, then research it and make sure it's up to the task.

Most of the cheaper boards will not have good heatsinks.  This is no different then any other platform.  Hell, my son's z170 board throttles 7700K CPUs with high clocks unless you put a fan on the VRM.  It has a cheap cooling design on the VRM. 

There arent really "Cheap" boards with x299 though they are all pretty much 250+ usd

4 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

-snip-

I'm still down on the whole LGA 2066 platform, it's too expensive. I'm quite happy with a room full of dual xeon servers for serious work and my i7 7700k PC for playing. For not that much more I could build a rack server with two 10 core CPUs and utterly crush the performance of the 18 core CPU's, they don't entirely make that much sense at this price. 

Yours faithfully