[UPDATED] Der8auer States Some X299 Low End boards Have Bad VRM Coolers

20 hours ago, done12many2 said:

Did somebody say pancakes?  I love some pancakes.  

Heatpipe Griddle.

We've had the Pizza Computer, now we need a Heatpipe Griddle.

Just now, Lord Nicoll said:

I'm still down on the whole LGA 2066 platform, it's too expensive. I'm quite happy with a room full of dual xeon servers for serious work and my i7 7700k PC for playing. For not that much more I could build a rack server with two 10 core CPUs and utterly crush the performance of the 18 core CPU's, they don't entirely make that much sense at this price. 

Yeah, I get it man.  It's expensive.  The trade off for money spent though is I now have a CPU that CRUSHES multi-tasking and matches or exceeds my 7700k in single threaded performance clock for clock.  Skylake-X is quite remarkable.  The performance numbers we were seeing in reviews were conservative at best.  With memory and cache overclocking this thing is ridiculous.  

5 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

1.26v  I LOVE THIS FUCKING CPU!!

I have to get a 7800X ASAP! Skylake-X is a beast!!!

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

4 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Yeah, I get it man.  It's expensive.  The trade off for money spent though is I now have a CPU that CRUSHES multi-tasking and matches or exceeds my 7700k in single threaded performance clock for clock.  Skylake-X is quite remarkable.  The performance numbers we were seeing in reviews were conservative at best.  With memory and cache overclocking this thing is ridiculous.  

WHAT MOBO ARE YOU USING

33 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Well, my delidded i7 7700K is 5.2GHz, I don't want to think how much I'd have to spend to get a binned i9 7900X and then delid it, it's just too much for what it is. 

Yours faithfully

Just now, Lord Nicoll said:

Well, mt delidded i7 7700K is 5.2GHz, I don't want to think how much I'd have to spend to get a binned i9 7900X and then delid it, it's just too much for what it is. 

Well, if you want to get a Skylake-X CPU without spending a ton of money, get a 7800X ;)

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

3 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

Welcome to HEDT. Its the enthusiast platform so the price is high.

Im just confused with all this stuff idk much about mobos and heatsinks and etc.

6 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

Welcome to HEDT. Its the enthusiast platform so the price is high.

Well said.  I spent over $350 on a quality z270 board because I knew that I was going to be pushing high clocks.  Spending $300 on a x299 or x399 board is just asking for trouble. 

2 minutes ago, Dreaper said:

Im just confused with all this stuff idk much about mobos and heatsinks and etc.

Check my signature for my board.  Buy it.  Be happy.  

Just now, done12many2 said:

Check my signature for my board.  Buy it.  Be happy.  

ok thanks!

Just now, Dreaper said:

Intel have made X299 confusing but you have to do your research. Basically the $200-300 parts exist to give the illusion of affordability when really you will need a $400+ mobo for real results.

Just now, tom_w141 said:

Eww non Asus board

/s

Which one of the asus boards are good?

Just now, tom_w141 said:

Eww non Asus board

/s

Well, I am going to answer that for you.......

Spoiler

ASUS DOESN'T MAKE A MOTHERBOARD WITH FUCKING HEATPIPE COOLING.... WHAT THE FUCK ASUS?

Just now, Dreaper said:

Which one of the asus boards are good?

Apex is what I will end up with once it releases.  The ROG Strix, Prime x299 Deluxe, Apex, and Extreme will all be good. 

Just now, PCGuy_5960 said:

Hide contents

ASUS DOESN'T MAKE A MOTHERBOARD WITH FUCKING HEATPIPE COOLING.... WHAT THE FUCK ASUS?

Yeah heard its being revised since before the news came out, this is likely a result of the review being brought forward. Der8auer covers it in the video.

Just now, done12many2 said:

Apex is what I will end up with once it releases.  The ROG Strix, Prime x299 Deluxe, Apex, and Extreme will all be good. 

the Apex is too big for my case but i would get it :(

1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Hide contents

1 minute ago, tom_w141 said:

I'm kidding i just have a preference to Asus because I love their BIOS and designs. I'm sure the gigabyte is fine :) 

der8auer gave feedback to Asus on the Apex after he tested it and they are further improving the VRM cooling on it.  It was already good enough for his testing, but they are making it better after his feedback.  

Just now, tom_w141 said:

Yeah heard its being revised since before the news came out, this is likely a result of the review being brought forward. Der8auer covers it in the video.

It's not being revisited, but they are going to fix the issue with the Apex and the Rampage :D

Just now, Dreaper said:

the Apex is too big for my case but i would get it :(

If @done12many2 is satisfied by the gigabyte then i'm sure its a perfectly good board. It's certainly in the right price range.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813145014

2 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

If @done12many2 is satisfied by the gigabyte then i'm sure its a perfectly good board. It's certainly in the right price range.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813145014

I love Asus' BIOS compared to the one on this Gigabyte board.  Other than that, the sound, quality and everything else is top notch on it.  It looks like I stuffed a Christmas tree into my case with all the fucking lights going on in there.  Fantastic board.  Okay BIOS.

Just now, tom_w141 said:

That's literally what I meant by revisited xD As in they are looking at and changing the design. What is your definition? :P 

Do you know the biggest difference in the Gigabyte 9 and 7?