[UPDATED] Der8auer States Some X299 Low End boards Have Bad VRM Coolers

2 minutes ago, MageTank said:

Yes, it's quite a bit more responsive than Skylake's Speedshift. I noticed that the moment I jumped from my stock 6700k to the 7700k at stock. The time it takes for the turbo state to change is basically instantaneous. 

Yeah, it really wakes up the user interface experience and even when Windows in left in Balanced or Power Savings mode, the computer just keeps feeling very responsive.

They brought it over to Skylake-X as well.  

Just now, Drak3 said:

Instantly and forever discredited. For same, Mage, for shame.ad34e979969c39530cf0ce0368b355b1.jpg.2ae344aed1c532e71709a2f4967d3fe7.jpg

Hey, if I happen to enjoy animations that are full of constantly shirtless buff dudes fighting for each others admiration, that's my business and my business alone.

If you don't quote me, take my words out of context, and make a sig out of it, i'll forever judge you.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

1 minute ago, MageTank said:

If you don't quote me, take my words out of context, and make a sig out of it, i'll forever judge you.

One issue. I has no idea how to do that, and before you said it, I never had any intention of doing it. Teach me moar things.

And I'll gift a piece of my knowledge to you in return.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

One issue. I has no idea how to do that, and before you said it, I never had any intention of doing it. Teach me moar things.

And I'll gift a piece of my knowledge to you in return.

3 minutes ago, MageTank said:

Hey, if I happen to enjoy constantly shirtless buff dudes, that's my business and my business alone.

And you accuse me of over-thinking... Never let a good thing pass you by.

11 minutes ago, TahoeDust said:

Performance is awesome and temps are fine.  I am fighting some weird voltage bug with my Gigabyte board though.  For some reason it stopped keeping my manual voltage settings when overclocking.  If I set it for anything under 1.273v, it just runs 1.273v.  If I set the voltage higher, say 1.28v, it does it.  For the first few hours it worked correctly.  Then I had a black screen while in the bios, sense then, same deal.  Even at 1.273v the temps are very manageable.

I would contact Gigabyte support and let them know asap. I wouldn't be happy knowing I can't lower voltage.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

Just now, MageTank said:

And you accuse me of over-thinking... Never let a good thing pass you by

You're right. I know how to use backspace and selectively quote. I do it all the time. I meant the putting it in my sig.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

29 minutes ago, TahoeDust said:

I can tell you from first hand experience that you can definitely cool a 7820x @ 4.7GHz with a well setup 280mm AIO....if you are OK with max temps (Prime or Realbench) in the mid/high 80s.  In real world gaming/use, it rarely goes into the 70s.

You're posts in the Skylake-X thread on OCN have me cracking up.  

So how did you end up with two x299 boards again?  xD

Just now, Drak3 said:

You're right. I know how to use backspace and selectively quote. I do it all the time. I meant the putting it in my sig.

Click the quote. Control C, go to your sig page, control V. 

Just now, done12many2 said:

Drinking too many brewskies xD 

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

3 minutes ago, VagabondWraith said:

Drinking too many brewskies xD 

That's some shit I do all the time.  I don't even realize I did it until the FedEx guy is dropping off a box the following day or the day after.  xD

2 minutes ago, MageTank said:

Click the quote. Control C, go to your sig page, control V. 

Danke. Did not think it would be straight forward, at all. And now my knowledge that I part onto you.

Early to rise and early to bed, makes a man healthy, but socially dead. (see sig line 5. 6 and 3 optional).

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

Danke. Did not think it would be straight forward, at all. And now my knowledge that I part onto you.

Early to rise and early to bed, makes a man healthy, but socially dead. (see sig line 5. 6 and 3 optional).

I've been told drinking can fix both problems at the same time. 

Just now, MageTank said:

I've been told drinking can fix both problems at the same time. 

Tried that, didn't work. Conclusion, drinking sucks.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

Tried that, didn't work. Conclusion, drinking sucks.

Perhaps you are just bad at it? The guys I know become extremely sociable after a few drinks, lol. Some to the extent of it being unhealthy.

Just now, MageTank said:

Perhaps you are just bad at it? The guys I know become extremely sociable after a few drinks, lol. Some to the extent of it being unhealthy.

Maybe it's just because I don't like being around people. Also, so far, only beer I ever liked was the Ubermonster, and only due to very strict technicality.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

Maybe it's just because I don't like being around people. Also, so far, only beer I ever liked was the Ubermonster, and only due to very strict technicality.

Drinking alone can suck so I understand some of your dislike for it.  

Just now, done12many2 said:

Drinking alone can suck so I understand some of your dislike for it.  

100% related to the taste. Also, since only 20, can't exactly sample many. I do, however like butter scotch and cream soda as a 50/50 mix.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

3 hours ago, done12many2 said:

Haha.  Well, I preordered one from Amazon, but on release day they told me I would not be getting it until July 6.  So, then I pre-ordered one from Newegg.  Figured whichever one shipped first I would cancel the other.  They both shipped within a couple hours of each other...lol.  

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

Cooled by: Heatkiller || Hardware Labs || Bitspower || Noctua || EKWB

1 hour ago, TahoeDust said:

Haha.  Well, I preordered one from Amazon, but on release day they told me I would not be getting it until July 6.  So, then I pre-ordered one from Newegg.  Figured whichever one shipped first I would cancel the other.  They both shipped within a couple hours of each other...lol.  

I've had a little growing pain with the new Gigabyte board simply because I usually only buy Asus boards.  Every setting on this board seems to be laid out in the least convenient way possible, but I'm finally getting the hang of it.  

OP should probably change the title of this thread to "Der8auer States that SOME X299 Have Bad VRM Coolers" because the one I'm using barely warms up.  Damn sure no throttling.  

Anyway, 2716cb multi / 216cb single at 4.8 GHz with 1.24v.  Hottest core hit 81c, but this chip has not been delidded.  Not bad for a "rushed" platform so far.   I'd like to see what this would be if Intel would have taken more time.  xD

2716-216.jpg

Hard conclusion what intel did here, 

There was no need to move from X99 to X299, new Chipset only was enough. The only thing intel did was banning cheap Xeon's from a consumer socket, and replace that for a cheap Kaby i5 or i7 version.

Okay that new chipset supports NVM better, but is basically a small update of that old 600 Xeon chipset, why a new socket layout? We are not getting any Phi on X299! Coffeelake is not needing any new pin settings, just some better DDR support and out of the box support on chipset only!

On 6/28/2017 at 3:19 PM, tom_w141 said:

I'll bet you it doesn't :) Wasn't rushed and is Ryzen based.

Throwing 4 dies on one PCB and making the chip the size of pluto, not rushed at all! 

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

1 hour ago, Lays said:

Throwing 4 dies on one PCB and making the chip the size of pluto, not rushed at all! 

Oh it's worse than that. They literally took a 7600k and smacked it on a larger substrate, overclocked it and disabled the IGPU:

9fd7904a388a488789cce12ebbc2a649_XL.jpg

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

25 minutes ago, Notional said:

Oh it's worse than that. They literally took a 7600k and smacked it on a larger substrate, overclocked it and disabled the IGPU:

9fd7904a388a488789cce12ebbc2a649_XL.jpg

Nobody said you had to buy it 

?

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Just now, Lays said:

Nobody said you had to buy it 

?

No one should buy that. Like absolutely no one. It's a ripoff product, that makes no sense. Maybe you can pry it off the substrate and stick it onto a z270 board :P

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

3 hours ago, Lays said:

using more than 1 die isn't rushed at all, in fact it should mean they can pick the best 8 core dies they have and put that on the package instead. It looks like on Thread Ripper at least, half of the cores will be disabled if they go with 4 dies, meaning you really will be getting the best, I'd say only EPYC has the full 4 dies though, no point in wasting dies, 

Yours faithfully