[UPDATED] Der8auer States Some X299 Low End boards Have Bad VRM Coolers

57 minutes ago, MageTank said:

Oh, you already know my standards, so you already know I can't handle X299's heat, lol. At 5ghz on this CPU you sent me, I already enter the "toasty zone" under 48k FFT AVX2 load, which is around 70C. Now double the core count, and you have yourself a recipe for real heat, lol. People seriously expected 8 cores at 5ghz to be perfectly achievable on an AIO, and it makes me question their sanity. These CPU's are nowhere near as easy to delid as your standard 115x chips. We are dealing with a raised substrate on top of a ton of caps that are at risk of being covered in Intel's glue, which end up getting ripped completely off the substrate if done incorrectly. We also know 5ghz isn't easy to achieve without a delid on the quad cores, so expecting to get anywhere near that on the 8c+ SKU's on an AIO, it's just madness in it's purest form.

Luckily with X299, people are starting to understand there is more to it than just keeping the CPU cool. The VRM is going to matter. The thickness of your PSU cables are going to matter. The plugs on the board itself, will matter. For the first time in a long time, the enthusiast platform will actually require enthusiast level cooling and experience to get the most out of it. I think that is what is scaring people the most, lol.

I wonder how much an X299 monoblock would cost..

22 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

I wonder how much an X299 monoblock would cost..

They'll most likely cost the same as the X99 monoblocks (around USD $159-179)

RIGZ

Spoiler

Starlight (Current): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core CPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Full Custom Loop | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 1TB + 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSDs, 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD, 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | EVGA NU Audio | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair ML120 2-pack 5x + ML140 2-pack

The Storm (Retired): Intel Core i7-5930K | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 | EKWB EK-KIT P360 with Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport 480 | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD + 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black/Blue CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 x3

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

EK-Quantum Momentum X570 Aorus Master monoblock | EK-FC RTX 2080 + Ti Classic RGB Waterblock and Backplate | EK-XRES 140 D5 PWM Pump/Res Combo | 2x Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 480 MP and 1x SR2 240 MP | 10X Corsair ML120 PWM fans | A mixture of EK-KIT fittings and EK-Torque STC fittings and adapters | Mayhems 10/13mm clear tubing | Mayhems X1 Eco UV Blue coolant | Bitspower G1/4 Temperature Probe Fitting

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard | Glorious Model D Featherweight Mouse | 2x BenQ PD3200Q 32" 1440p IPS displays + BenQ BL3200PT 32" 1440p VA display | Mackie ProFX10v3 USB Mixer + Marantz MPM-1000 Mic | Sennheiser HD 598 SE Headphones | 2x ADAM Audio T5V 5" Powered Studio Monitors + ADAM Audio T10S Powered Studio Subwoofer | Logitech G920 Driving Force Steering Wheel and Pedal Kit + Driving Force Shifter | Logitech C922x 720p 60FPS Webcam | Xbox One Wireless Controller

QUOTES

Spoiler

"So because they didn't give you the results you want, they're biased? You realize that makes you biased, right?" - @App4that

"Brand loyalty/fanboyism is stupid." - Unknown person on these forums

"Assuming kills" - @Moondrelor

"That's not to say that Nvidia is always better, or that AMD isn't worth owning. But the fact remains that this forum is AMD biased." - @App4that

"I'd imagine there's exceptions to this trend - but just going on mine and my acquaintances' purchase history, we've found that budget cards often require you to turn off certain features to get slick performance, even though those technologies are previous gen and should be having a negligible impact" - ace42

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

1 hour ago, MageTank said:

People seriously expected 8 cores at 5ghz to be perfectly achievable on an AIO, and it makes me question their sanity.

Inb4 EK releases a new AiO that has 2 480mm rads and redundant pumps.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

24 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Inb4 EK releases a new AiO that has 2 480mm rads and redundant pumps.

Doesn't help when the bottleneck is the transfer from the die to the IHS, lol. A delid is gonna be required for 5ghz on the 8c+ SKU's. I could be wrong, but from what I've seen thus far, that's not likely.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

46 minutes ago, JurunceNK said:

They'll most likely cost the same as the X99 monoblocks (around USD $159-179)

That's not too bad then, y'know if you're already spending this much on a system..

1 hour ago, MageTank said:

Doesn't help when the bottleneck is the transfer from the die to the IHS, lol. A delid is gonna be required for 5ghz on the 8c+ SKU's. I could be wrong, but from what I've seen thus far, that's not likely.

But you were just talking about AiO not being enough to cool these beasts. Nothing about delidding being required. So I only shitposted with a cool thing that will never happen.

Also, I was hoping you'd say "Name 3 cases that would support that," because I had a smartass answer ready.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

56 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

But you were just talking about AiO not being enough to cool these beasts. Nothing about delidding being required. So I only shitposted with a cool thing that will never happen.

Also, I was hoping you'd say "Name 3 cases that would support that," because I had a smartass answer ready.

AIO's are not enough once you cross a certain threshold. Even custom loops eventually cease to help once the stock paste becomes an issue. An AIO will hit that limitation first, with a custom loop going beyond that (but still eventually get held back by the paste). 

As for naming 3 cases that would support multiple 480mm rads, that's easy. The Caselabs Merlin SM8, the Caselabs Magnum STH10 (which can actually support 560mm rads), the Thermaltake Core WP200 (this thing supports insane rad configurations, up to 3 600mm rads) and this is just to name a few. There are half a dozen more that support 480mm rads, but they are nowhere near as fancy (or as expensive). Besides, 480mm rads are for chumps. 1080mm rads are where it's at. Get a dozen AP121's in push-pull on both sides, and never be afraid of hot water ever again. (Note: may require a swimming pool pump, not responsible for divorces filed due to noise complaints)

@MageTank I was going to say the Corsair 780T, NZXT S340, and the Node 202. Because everything supports multiple 480mm rads when you have a Dremel.

Also, it's a joke. I recognize that a delid is 10,000% required OC these past a set threshold. You're putting too much thought into it. Just go relax and eat some pancakes.d78e5e5fbfa5e8ba8a3af08a3d2ea571.png.0c140e48e050544f61f7055eccfdfb0c.png

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

I can tell you from first hand experience that you can definitely cool a 7820x @ 4.7GHz with a well setup 280mm AIO....if you are OK with max temps (Prime or Realbench) in the mid/high 80s.  In real world gaming/use, it rarely goes into the 70s.

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

Cooled by: Heatkiller || Hardware Labs || Bitspower || Noctua || EKWB

1 minute ago, TahoeDust said:

I can tell you from first hand experience that you can definitely cool a 7820x @ 4.7GHz with a well setup 280mm AIO. 

*Until real heat is applied.

I am secretly judging you.

2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

@MageTank I was going to say the Corsair 780T, NZXT S340, and the Node 202. Because everything supports multiple 480mm rads when you have a Dremel.

Also, it's a joke. I recognize that a delid is 10,000% required OC these past a set threshold. You're putting too much thought into it. Just go relax and eat some pancakes.d78e5e5fbfa5e8ba8a3af08a3d2ea571.png.0c140e48e050544f61f7055eccfdfb0c.png

Read my title. I don't any thought into anything, lol.

Just now, MageTank said:

Er. It has the word "thinker" in it. And given most microconversations we have, I'd say the 'simplistic' part is describing the description. You're simply a thinker. Sometimes a great one, other times, the joke flies to far above your head I can park my Ram 2500, my dad's Ram 2500, and my Dodge Dakota in the space between the two.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

Er. It has the word "thinker" in it. And given most microconversations we have, I'd say the 'simplistic' part is describing the description. You're simply a thinker. Sometimes a great one, other times, the joke flies to far above your head I can park my Ram 2500, my dad's Ram 2500, and my Dodge Dakota in the space between the two.

Or, perhaps that is exactly what I want you to think. The world may never know.

4 minutes ago, MageTank said:

*Until real heat is applied.

I am secretly judging you.

This guy sucks at grammaring.

Just now, TahoeDust said:

I can tell you from first hand experience that you can definitely cool a 7820x @ 4.7GHz with a well setup 280mm AIO. 

Cooling a 8 core or 10 core Skylake-X chip is roughly the same task as cooling a 8 or 10 core Broadwell-E part.  Maybe a tad tougher.  

@VagabondWraith doesn't seem to be having many issues with his 8 core either.

Sure, when you start pushing really high clocks, you're going to start seeing a need for delidding and larger loops but 4.5 GHz and higher is too easy.  

3 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Cooling a 8 core or 10 core Skylake-X chip is roughly the same task as cooling a 8 or 10 core Broadwell-E part.  Maybe a tad tougher.  

Sure, when you start pushing really high clocks, you're going to start seeing a need for delidding and larger loops but 4.5 GHz and higher is too easy.  

It is definitely a nasty little 8 core.  Did this at 4.8GHz @ 1.21v...

soaTMLw.jpg

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

My h

2 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Yeah, my hottest core was 67 at 4.5ghz running Cinebench. Plenty of thermal headroom to push 4.6-4.7 all cores on my measly 280mm AIO. 

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

1 minute ago, MageTank said:

Or, perhaps that is exactly what I want you to think.

No, it isn't.

2 minutes ago, MageTank said:

The world may never know.

We know.

3 minutes ago, MageTank said:

This guy sucks at grammaring.

I've gotten so good at interpreting broken English, I had to read it 5 times before figuring out that a word was missing, and then twice more to figure out which word.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

No, it isn't.

We know.

I've gotten so good at interpreting broken English, I had to read it 5 times before figuring out that a word was missing, and then twice more to figure out which word.

Exactly what I wanted you to think.

1 minute ago, TahoeDust said:

It is definitely a nasty little 8 core.  Did this at 4.8GHz @ 1.21v...

soaTMLw.jpg

Looking great man! Glad to see you got everything up and running!! Those internet reports about X299 were unfounded. Performance is great and temps are manageable.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

5 hours ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

You are missing the point: no one is saying support for more cores is a flaw. What we are saying is that it is harder for motherboard manufacturers to support cores they don't know will be there.

Are you not even reading your own leaks? The leaked specs were not what we are seeing: first 10 moved to 12, then Intel announced 18. Motherboard manufacturers have not yet seen these chips or even the specs. So no, X299 wasn't rushed in itself, i.e., they were working on some of it for a while. But they were working towards supporting a lower number of CPU models.

I have some ideas about it, but I already wrote them in previous posts, so I won't repeat them. Feel free to track back and read them ;) 

Umm... quit alcohol while you still have a liver.

lol

ok i'll fall for the snowflake idea of yours

guess I'll buy the bare minimum

just plant 1 seed if it doesnt grow ill take the loss

fyi meaning no person plants 1 seed they give themselves many options

some people like to use the word futureproof

I myself hate that word

but would you build to just get by or build for expansion?

and on the note of booze, think i'm doing pretty good

glad i have DD ran out of cigs twice now and only friday

i think

2 minutes ago, MageTank said:

Exactly what I wanted you to think.

tumblr_n7fks0xebh1t89rpeo1_500_by_yuukii0910-d9xa7lg.gif.a81e0c1af8f89011f14068499ca23e8a.giftumblr_m4guex7A2k1r0mqjz.gif.1973a994fdab1c56c4e11b30a2614591.gif

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

@MageTank

Have you noticed a difference in scaling with Speed Shift when using power saving features?  Call me crazy, but I loved it on the 7700k and I like it on the 7900X too.  

Just now, VagabondWraith said:

Looking great man! Glad to see you got everything up and running!! Those internet reports about X299 were unfounded. Performance is great and temps are manageable.

Performance is awesome and temps are fine.  I am fighting some weird voltage bug with my Gigabyte board though.  For some reason it stopped keeping my manual voltage settings when overclocking.  If I set it for anything under 1.273v, it just runs 1.273v.  If I set the voltage higher, say 1.28v, it does it.  For the first few hours it worked correctly.  Then I had a black screen while in the bios, sense then, same deal.  Even at 1.273v the temps are very manageable.

Just now, done12many2 said:

@MageTank

Have you noticed a difference in scaling with Speed Shift when using power saving features?  Call me crazy, but I loved it on the 7700k and I like it on the 7900X too.  

Yes, it's quite a bit more responsive than Skylake's Speedshift. I noticed that the moment I jumped from my stock 6700k to the 7700k at stock. The time it takes for the turbo state to change is basically instantaneous. 

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

tumblr_n7fks0xebh1t89rpeo1_500_by_yuukii0910-d9xa7lg.gif.a81e0c1af8f89011f14068499ca23e8a.giftumblr_m4guex7A2k1r0mqjz.gif.1973a994fdab1c56c4e11b30a2614591.gif

joseph_joestar_by_rayzorblade189-d7alpfj

Just now, MageTank said:

-Snip the heathenism-

Instantly and forever discredited. For same, Mage, for shame.ad34e979969c39530cf0ce0368b355b1.jpg.2ae344aed1c532e71709a2f4967d3fe7.jpg

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.