[UPDATED] Der8auer States Some X299 Low End boards Have Bad VRM Coolers

7 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

This isn't a testing issue. Ten core CPUs existed on X99. This is just motherboard manufacturers cutting corners to release a "cheaper" board since x299 covers such a wide range of products.

Another issue is that the launch was rushed and just not ready, I believe that motherboard manufacturers didn't have enough time to properly test and balance their mobos. Later models should be better in that regard. Especially with HCC chips coming later this year / early next year with up to 18 cores, new mobos will most likely launch with improved design etc.

It's only sad that even those crappy X299 boards cost an arm and a leg...

4 hours ago, porina said:

I have a 14 core CPU in mine right now, but it is a Xeon so no easy overclocking. Xeons went to twenty-something I think.

22C/44T :) (2699 v4)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

12 hours ago, tom_w141 said:

Trying too hard. The worst thing Intel has done is take its foot off the gas since crushing AMD in 2012 and now they are paying for it.

No, the worst thing Intel did was use their market dominance to force AMD out of the market, just when AMD was making the superior product.  If that had not transpired, we might see a drastically different AMD/Intel relationship today.

5 hours ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

It's not a heatsink. It's an aluminum block with RGB xD

That's their mistake, then.  They should have just made a solid block of RGB.  Everyone knows that anything is cooler with RGB. :D

I'm running almost the same VRM as on these X299 boards, these new EVGA boards do share the same design with the ASUS intel X boards we see for years now, not so many updates, Rampage 10th or what ever X99 by ASUS, i'm not

sure what is coasting this issue, strapping, clock speed, running them on 1.5 is normal, X99 i7's never get any hot, no hot VRM too on 4.6, but what if you do run all 10 cores on 4.6 on 1.6V? please use asynchronous stepping if you overload any part of your CPU or VRM design. Only some Xeon's are born to run on 5Gh turbo, E2699V4! Guess you are not getting that for a $1000.

3 hours ago, Jito463 said:

No, the worst thing Intel did was use their market dominance to force AMD out of the market, just when AMD was making the superior product.  If that had not transpired, we might see a drastically different AMD/Intel relationship today.

That's their mistake, then.  They should have just made a solid block of RGB.  Everyone knows that anything is cooler with RGB. :D

Well, Intel has paid a few billion USD in fines over their anti-competitive practices. They were able to "buy" AMD out of the mobile market by making it so no OEMs would make them, I believe it was.

2 hours ago, pas008 said:

X299 itself was within the launch window, but it was also a 10c max design until fairly recently.  Now it's an 18c max and it's very possible the Motherboard manufacturers simply didn't have time (or processors in house to test) to make all of the adjustments needed. I expect we'll be seeing a lot of v2 boards, especially if the rumor about power draw issues with the over 12c parts is true.

13 hours ago, samcool55 said:

AGESA 1.0.0.6 might be available in a beta bios atm for you. No idea where you can get them but you do see at /r/AMD posts of beta bios'es being available from time to time. And it's the VI hero so i would be surprised if there isn't one somewhere atm.

Of course, it being still a beta version, stability and bug-free operation isn't guaranteed :P

found the update, even with the AGESA 1.0.06 i cant get 2993mhz still only 2666mhz but idk if thats do with having four sticks of ram

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

Just now, tom_w141 said:

Yes it is. Try 2 unless you really need 4.

well i have a 32gb kit currently

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

24 minutes ago, KOMTechAndGaming said:

found the update, even with the AGESA 1.0.06 i cant get 2993mhz still only 2666mhz but idk if thats do with having four sticks of ram

you will have to tinker with it as some of the automatic timings might be wrong (in the taichi it happend for buildzoid)

1 minute ago, cj09beira said:

you will have to tinker with it as some of the automatic timings might be wrong (in the taichi it happend for buildzoid)

hmm, im happy with it as it is tbh, plenty fast for me 

Just now, KOMTechAndGaming said:

hmm, im happy with it as it is tbh, plenty fast for me 

i am just one of those that needs to Oc everything (7870 coming in today to do exactly that,(its a change of plans))

Just now, cj09beira said:

i am just one of those that needs to Oc everything (7870 coming in today to do exactly that,(its a change of plans))

same, i have my 1800x(i know not the best price to performance) at 4.0ghz at 1.394v

Just now, KOMTechAndGaming said:

same, i have my 1800x(i know not the best price to performance) at 4.0ghz at 1.394v

it might not be but it gave you a bit better chance at Oc 

Just now, cj09beira said:

it might not be but it gave you a bit better chance at Oc 

yeah, it doesnt like 4.1ghz at 1.4v

1 minute ago, KOMTechAndGaming said:

yeah, it doesnt like 4.1ghz at 1.4v

i am waiting for ryzen 2, as i need more frequency for benchmarks ( also i am broke right now)

3 hours ago, KOMTechAndGaming said:

That's possible.  On my Gigabyte K7, my Corsair Vengeance LPX RAM now runs at 2933MHz using the profile option in the BIOS with AGESA 1.0.0.6, but I'm only running 2 x 8GB.  I know that at launch, people were having more issues with 4 sticks than with 2, running at higher clock speeds.  Have you tried manually setting the voltage?  At launch (and even with 1.0.0.4a), I could only reach 2666MHz max, and I had to manually set 1.35v on the DIMM slots to do it (along with manually setting the RAM timings).

9 hours ago, pas008 said:

One of your links clearly says Q3.

Another link clearly shows Skylake-X as "6 to 10 cores"

Moving from Q3 to Q2, while adding models all the way to 18 cores right at launch date announcement doesn't really sound "as planned" to me.

20 hours ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Dood, do you think that people who buy $2000 processors, pair them with $350 motherboards? 

Yeah, there are stupid people out there, don't underestimate them...

I mean if you look at the LTT video's about what people buy from amazon, a lot of them get K cpu's but for some reason the most populair board isn't a board with a Z-series chipset, go figure...

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

1 minute ago, samcool55 said:

Yeah, there are stupid people out there, don't underestimate them...

I mean if you look at the LTT video's about what people buy from amazon, a lot of them get K cpu's but for some reason the most populair board isn't a board with a Z-series chipset, go figure...

everyone says 7700k is the best and I can save money on this $40 Biostar motherboard :^)

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

On 2017-6-29 at 0:15 AM, Hunter259 said:

And threadripper will likely have the same issues at launch. Great job all around.

.... What? Having a crappy platform is fine because maybe kinda with no evidence someone else might also have a bad platform? 

- snip-

Just now, MrDynamicMan said:

.... What? Having a crappy platform is fine because maybe kinda with no evidence someone else might also have a bad platform? 

You didn't even read my other comments.... The input power connector issue is fixed on virtually all threadripper boards. The VRM cooling design is the issue. Threadripper will be pulling a similar amount of power on very similarly designed VRM designs. That's the issue. Also the damn platform doesn't matter. 

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

37 minutes ago, Hunter259 said:

You didn't even read my other comments.... The input power connector issue is fixed on virtually all threadripper boards. The VRM cooling design is the issue. Threadripper will be pulling a similar amount of power on very similarly designed VRM designs. That's the issue. Also the damn platform doesn't matter. 

Because x399 is coming later they will have time to resolve this issues.

Asus is already looking into it so their boards will probably be fine.

And threadripper will need higher voltages when overclocking (1,4 ish instead of 1,25 ish) which leads to lower amperage and lower heat produced in the vrm

2 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

Because x399 is coming later they will have time to resolve this issues.

Asus is already looking into it so their boards will probably be fine.

And threadripper will need higher voltages when overclocking (1,4 ish instead of 1,25 ish) which leads to lower amperage and lower heat produced in the vrm

Just because it is coming later doesn't mean they can't be stupid. X99 has similar VRM cooling solutions but just doesn't draw the power.

Lol. Amperage and voltage create heat you do realize that? It doesn't change the amount of power it's drawing. And actually due to Ryzen relying completely on the board to supply the power that means all voltage regulation is on the board which increases the complexity of the VRM solution meaning more heat will be produced.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

10 minutes ago, Hunter259 said:

Just because it is coming later doesn't mean they can't be stupid. X99 has similar VRM cooling solutions but just doesn't draw the power.

Lol. Amperage and voltage create heat you do realize that? It doesn't change the amount of power it's drawing. And actually due to Ryzen relying completely on the board to supply the power that means all voltage regulation is on the board which increases the complexity of the VRM solution meaning more heat will be produced.

Vrms heat production scales much more with amps than with volts