What's Microsoft's strategy with the Xbox One X

IAmAndre
Just now, Himommies said:

Microsoft(IMO) is trying to build a complete portfolio of consoles

XboxOne=Gtx 1060

One S= Gtx 1070

One X = 1080

(not performance wise)

Yes, and that's my point : people (especially console people) are not going to go from a One S to a One X if it requires paying twice the price you already paid for your current console, and to have the same features with better effects.

2 minutes ago, Himommies said:

PsVR is 500 with the camera.But with the dominant and superior motion control thing(kinect),it would be a much better experience.DO you know what they have to do. Occulous/Htc vive support 

Well Kinect is no longer included. I think they dropped this thing for good (even though there is still a port for that). It would be great to have support for third party headsets, especially the one from Acer which is cheaper.

The big thing that MS wants is for people to have Xbox Live accounts (aka, a MS account), since your Xbox Live account is the same account as your Windows login in. 

They don't care if you game on a regular Xbox One, the One S, the One X or a PC (with games bought through the Windows Store). It's all the same to them, which is why they have cross platform support with Xbox and Windows.

4 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

Ok, so first link is someone estimating the cost of the hardware and based on that they think Microsoft and Sony are making a profit off of consoles.

And second link is how many consoles they sold. Not if they made a profit from selling consoles. Which is what we're talking about.

Great job.

3 minutes ago, NvidiaIntelAMDLoveTriangle said:

Ok, so first link is someone estimating the cost of the hardware and based on that they think Microsoft and Sony are making a profit off of consoles.

And second link is how many consoles they sold. Not if they made a profit from selling consoles. Which is what we're talking about.

Great job.

yes, they are accurate even digital foundry confirmed it. whare are your sources?  

4 minutes ago, NvidiaIntelAMDLoveTriangle said:

Which is what we're talking about.

Great job.

put that salt to better use buddy. 

22 minutes ago, linkboy said:

The big thing that MS wants is for people to have Xbox Live accounts (aka, a MS account), since your Xbox Live account is the same account as your Windows login in. 

They don't care if you game on a regular Xbox One, the One S, the One X or a PC (with games bought through the Windows Store). It's all the same to them, which is why they have cross platform support with Xbox and Windows.

Let me introduce you to... PROPRIATARIATISM!!!! 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economics

Also just here to see other people's thoughts. Like the idea with the cross platform is like a:

MS's hardware strategy is seemingly much like their software strategy now. MS is trying to copy android and iOS and have quicker upgrade cycles.
I'm not sure if they think it means more people will buy newer products if they offer upgrades quicker or not, but that is what they are going with. (windows8,8.1,win10,creators update.)

As to if this strategy works with hardware, it is hard to say. Some people will upgrade their mobile phone each year, but safe to assume most people wait 2-3 years until they upgrade. It seems more likely people with original Xbox Ones would be more inclined to upgrade then people with Xbox One S's, as to if that will happen, who knows.

As somebody with the OG fat VCR looking xbone, I saw how sleek the Xbox One X was and immediately thought to myself I will probably upgrade in the coming months.
If nothing else just to reclaim some space back from the monstrous footprint of the OG Xbox One(also the integrated PSU is nice), plus the perf bump is cool and imo looks really good.
Because the Xbox One X has a flat top with no vents unlike the other Xbox One's, custom designs like a Halo or Gears Of War should look really good, plus Dbrand might have some skins for it.

CORSAIR RIPPER: AMD 3970X - 3080TI & 2080TI - 64GB Ram - 2.5TB NVME SSD's - 35" G-Sync 120hz 1440P
MFB (Mining/Folding/Boinc): AMD 1600 - 3080 & 1080Ti - 16GB Ram - 240GB SSD
Dell OPTIPLEX:  Intel i5 6500 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD

PC & CONSOLE GAMER

29 minutes ago, Antistatic12 said:

As to if this strategy works with hardware, it is hard to say. Some people will upgrade their mobile phone each year, but safe to assume most people wait 2-3 years until they upgrade. It seems more likely people with original Xbox Ones would be more inclined to upgrade then people with Xbox One S's, as to if that will happen, who knows.

Well I still think that it's not the same. As you say, people upgrade their phones after a few years when it gets slow or when it feels outdated and doesn't receive updates for example. But here you still have a very functional system that you are considering upgrading just because a new one has been released. I know some people will do it, but more people won't (think about the kids who got an OG Xbox One as a Christmas present and have to explain their parents that they want a new one just because it's new). I'll be very curious to see the numbers after Xmas.

I think Microsofts endgame is going to be establishing dominite control over the PC and console marketplace. With in the last year they have started to make old Xbox exclusives available on the Windows store, and they have even made games you buy on the WS downloadable and run natively on the Xbox One. IMO they're trying to kill two birds with one stone: Sony and Valve. 

PlayStation isn't very exciting, Nintendo's biggest audience will always be Nintendo fans hooked on the familiar IPs. Microsoft seems to be going off raw power and backwards compatibility. That and if you need a Bluray player now, it has PlayStation beat.

It's aimed at the same people it's always aimed at.  The thing is they have to keep improving it and upping the specs or it won't sell.  4K is where everything is going slowly, so if they don't support it then PS will and they'll lose sales. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

7 hours ago, IAmAndre said:

what do you think? Could the One X be the big flop many of us are expecting?

I am confused because Microsoft announced that they will even make Halo 6 for their store too, which means a PC version. Their exclusives are a selling point in my eyes.

If I would ever buy a console then only because of Halo. Now I don't have a reason to do it anymore.

5 hours ago, Kek Ops said:

I think Microsofts endgame is going to be establishing dominite control over the PC and console marketplace. With in the last year they have started to make old Xbox exclusives available on the Windows store, and they have even made games you buy on the WS downloadable and run natively on the Xbox One. IMO they're trying to kill two birds with one stone: Sony and Valve. 

What are these Xbox exclusives?

4 hours ago, Mooshi said:

PlayStation isn't very exciting, Nintendo's biggest audience will always be Nintendo fans hooked on the familiar IPs. Microsoft seems to be going off raw power and backwards compatibility. That and if you need a Bluray player now, it has PlayStation beat.

Well PlayStation is still very attractive with their exclusive titles. I would personnally love to play Detroit Become Human. Same story in terms of backwards compatibility. All PS4 consoles also have a Bluray player and are relatively cheaper than Xbox One's.

3 hours ago, mr moose said:

It's aimed at the same people it's always aimed at.  The thing is they have to keep improving it and upping the specs or it won't sell.  4K is where everything is going slowly, so if they don't support it then PS will and they'll lose sales. 

It makes sense, but as I said, we are dealing with people who didn't mind playing in 720p for 5+ years when 1080p was available. I think that PC players are the ones who worry about such things. Do you really think that the average person who be ready 2.5 times the price of an Xbox just for a higher resolution? Also note that the PS4 Pro is also option and I'm pretty sure the price will drop before the release of the Xbox One X.

Just now, IAmAndre said:

It makes sense, but as I said, we are dealing with people who didn't mind playing in 720p for 5+ years when 1080p was available. I think that PC players are the ones who worry about such things. Do you really think that the average person who be ready 2.5 times the price of an Xbox just for a higher resolution? Also note that the PS4 Pro is also option and I'm pretty sure the price will drop before the release of the Xbox One X.

yep, the average person wants to pay $3000 for a TV worth $1500 just because it has extra ports or is 2" bigger.  Don't forget the average consumer thinks the box under the desk is called the hard drive or the CPU and more Ghz = better.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 minute ago, mr moose said:

yep, the average person wants to pay $3000 for a TV worth $1500 just because it has extra ports or is 2" bigger.  Don't forget the average consumer thinks the box under the desk is called the hard drive or the CPU and more Ghz = better.

Well we don't have the same defintion of "average person" :)

4 hours ago, IAmAndre said:

Well PlayStation is still very attractive with their exclusive titles. I would personnally love to play Detroit Become Human. Same story in terms of backwards compatibility. All PS4 consoles also have a Bluray player and are relatively cheaper than Xbox One's.

For those wanting 1 console and also one that can play 4k blu rays, Xbox is still their only choice. Exclusives are the best ways to sway consumers and the platform hasn't appealed to me since the ps2 era. It's also personal preference and multi plat titles also hinders that if a PC gamer can get a steam version ha

I think the reason it's coming out is because we've seen a reasonably sized gain in the gaming PC market size. When the PS3 came out it was a BEAST. Both the PS4 and Xbone were very low spec and the graphics and FPS was terrible across the board, even if you've never experienced high end gaming. 

I just though rough that they would just make it like 1080p 60FPS on ultra instead of their janky upscaled "4K". Or at least so we can change the resolution...

That's an F in the profile pic

15 hours ago, SCGazelle said:

hmm, I guess the article I read was wrong. Read it a while ago so I don't remember the source.

It's not that is wrong it just is outdated, that was true back with the PS3  and Xbox 360 they did sold those at a loss to make up with game sales, however nowadays they profit out of everything which is not weird to think about.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

10 hours ago, Mooshi said:

For those wanting 1 console and also one that can play 4k blu rays, Xbox is still their only choice. Exclusives are the best ways to sway consumers and the platform hasn't appealed to me since the ps2 era. It's also personal preference and multi plat titles also hinders that if a PC gamer can get a steam version ha

Well in this case the Xbox One S costs less than half the price and can still play 4K Blurays while the PS4 Pro can handle 4K streaming services. But yeah exclusives are definitely not what makes people choose the X over the S.

9 hours ago, Froody129 said:

I think the reason it's coming out is because we've seen a reasonably sized gain in the gaming PC market size. When the PS3 came out it was a BEAST. Both the PS4 and Xbone were very low spec and the graphics and FPS was terrible across the board, even if you've never experienced high end gaming. 

I just though rough that they would just make it like 1080p 60FPS on ultra instead of their janky upscaled "4K". Or at least so we can change the resolution...

I totally agree and I think the Xbox One X is what the original Xbox One should have been. They would have made a product way better than what anyone was offering and ahead of its time, pretty much like the PS3 back in the days. But no, they thought it was better to include Kinect and charge an extra $100... Now I think it's too late and I predict a big flop. Quote me on this.

9 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

It's not that is wrong it just is outdated, that was true back with the PS3  and Xbox 360 they did sold those at a loss to make up with game sales, however nowadays they profit out of everything which is not weird to think about.

Except for the One X as per the article.