What are your most unpopular tech opinions?

roundtopsam
1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

10min of using one and i need to throw up. like litteraly. i can not use them

I will say i tried one Curved monitor aswell where i had the same feeling, but with the ones i run now i feel very good about it

Q: How many prolog programmers does it take to change a lightbulb?

A: Yes.

Just now, MathiasVN said:

I will say i tried one Curved monitor aswell where i had the same feeling, but with the ones i run now i feel very good about it

maybe i have only tred the bad ones idk but as far as i am concerned id rather pay less for a flat panel that dosent make me need somewhere to throw up every 10 minutes

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

16 hours ago, Anjelllo said:

Was the gtx 1080 part sarcasm? My friend got his parents to buy him two 1080ti's for his 1080p 60hz monitor for "future proofing". He's....not very smart.

I originally had my Titan X paired with a 1680x1050p60hz monitor for 2 months before I buy my 29UM68-P :/

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Turning down settings on games from Ultra to medium really doesn't decrease the playing experience all that much, and therefore my upgrade from a GTX 760 (Medium settings) and GTX 980Ti (Ultra settings) was a real anticlimax.

CURRENT: intel i9-10900K ASUS ROG Maximus XII Hero ROG Strix RTX 3090 32GB 3600MHz Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro RM1000i Lian Li O11-Dynamic

OFFICE: intel i5-3570K ASUS Z77 mITX EVGA GTX 970 SC 16GB 1600MHz Corsair Vengeance LP Silverstone SFX PSU Fractal Design Node 202

11 hours ago, shadowbyte said:

The ATH-M50X is a good pair of headphones for the price

This is an unpopular opinion???

They're a very good pair of headphones.  I just happened to get my HD 280s for a little cheaper...

1 hour ago, Princess Cadence said:

I originally had my Titan X paired with a 1680x1050p60hz monitor for 2 months before I buy my 29UM68-P :/

Currently I have my 1070 paired with a cheapo 1440x900 BenQ insertmodelnumberhere. At least it's 75hz.

I like the rift over the vive.

I want large cases with 5.25 bays.

5 hours ago, Helly said:

Linux is stupid and will never be anything but shit as long as you have to constantly keep using the fucking terminal.

I used linux as my daily drive for some time and never HAD to use the terminal. I only needed it for adb, fastboot, compiling android and updating, but not everyone tinkers with android and most distros provide some kind of package to update the OS without using the terminal.

14 hours ago, roundtopsam said:

My unpopular opinion is based on me not some portion of the population, and I said nothing about seeing value, I quite literally mean need.  As a user of 1080p monitors no larger than 32" for a tv, and 24" on desktop, I dont understand the core NEED.  As a professional video creator/editor shooting in 4k I cant see why even an editor NEEDS the pixels, quite literally.  Most TV commercials are 1080i 35mbps delivery, web is more than half, live streaming no more than a 7th.  I like cropping 4k, but dont need the "extra detail" when putting my content on Facebook & Youtube. Just about the only value I see is desktop real estate, but at the price, I see more real estate as overkill when pairing 2 1080p screens together.  Thanks for addressing my opinion!

I too LOVE large smartphones, an opinion 2014 me would scoff at.

The word need will always be subjective for things like this, but a couple of 4K monitors would have been a big time saver when I was doing cartography and analysis. Panning through a PDF or TIFF always took me longer and caused me to miss more errors than plotting out a chart. If I could have displayed an entire chart on one screen with better details, I'd have caught problems and not had to waste time and resources plotting.

For research, writing, and programming, 4K monitors are great because I can fit more information on the screen.

I should note that although my far vision isn't great, I have better than normal close vision, which may make me biased. I haven't seen a desktop monitor of any resolution where I couldn't see the pixels, but that's just me.

12 hours ago, LeinadTM said:

Yeah, that's why I said I can't really call it fact. I just don't trust them based on what I've seen online.

yeah well the same amount of bad comes from intel. i happily gamed on amd systems my whole life. It was only last year i went to intel because amd where a bit behind.

dont rag on amd because of videos and redit's. Amd are just as good as intel just had lack of tech (lazy) for a couple of years.

16 hours ago, bobhays said:

I don't understand your 2nd point. What is there to understand about a 4k screen? It's just sharper than 1080p so you can view 4k content, game in 4k, or productivity.

I know I'm explaining things you probably already know but I'm really confused. You may not want a 4k display or think its worth it, but I think it's pretty clear why someone else would use a 4k display.

But do they need it?

3 hours ago, roundtopsam said:

But do they need it?

But you could say that about almost anything, who needs a 1080ti, who needs 5G wifi. It's about who can make use of it. 

144hz+ refresh is only necessary for high end competitive gaming.

VR is highly overrated. AR is where it's at.

Windows 10 is a fantastic OS.

Surface tablets make iPads and other tablets irrelevant within that price bracket.

802.11ad is completely pointless for most consumers, due to how far behind telecommunications infrastructure is (at least in the US).

Ultrawide monitors provide a MUCH better gaming experience than 16:9 monitors.

Edit: got more.

NVMe drives are absolutely worth the money as long as you're not sacrificing anything significant.

Hard drives are now a major hindrance for a mid-high end gaming build. All SSD builds provide a difference in the user experience that is like night and day. Get or build a NAS setup for mass storage.

SFF builds are overrated and too restrictive. Mid-tower ATX is the best size for most builds.

The MOBA genre needs to die.

Gaming headsets are trash.

New Build (The Compromise): CPU - i7 9700K @ 5.1Ghz Mobo - ASRock Z390 Taichi | RAM - 16GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200CL14 @ 3466 14-14-14-30 1T | GPU - ASUS Strix GTX 1080 TI | Cooler - Corsair h100i Pro | SSDs - 500 GB 960 EVO + 500 GB 850 EVO + 1TB MX300 | Case - Coolermaster H500 | PSUEVGA 850 P2 | Monitor - LG 32GK850G-B 144hz 1440p | OSWindows 10 Pro. 

Peripherals - Corsair K70 Lux RGB | Corsair Scimitar RGB | Audio-technica ATH M50X + Antlion Modmic 5 |

CPU/GPU history: Athlon 6000+/HD4850 > i7 2600k/GTX 580, R9 390, R9 Fury > i7 7700K/R9 Fury, 1080TI > Ryzen 1700/1080TI > i7 9700K/1080TI.

Other tech: Surface Pro 4 (i5/128GB), Lenovo Ideapad Y510P w/ Kali, OnePlus 6T (8G/128G), PS4 Slim.

On 6/6/2017 at 11:44 AM, Damascus said:

Here are my bits

• Intel i5's need to die or change and for the love of all that is enthusiast don't waste your money on any current gen i5, especially unlocked ones - a 1400 is better than a locked i5 and a 1600 kicks any i5's teeth in
  • RGB is awesome and I want it
  • If you want to do a custom loop get the best tech you can over having custom cooling

Oh yeah, DON'T GET AN i5

Just curious why you are against i5's. Tech Deals and Linus himself and also others say that all you get by jumping to i7 is hyperthreading (which games basically don't use at all), and a couple MB of cache. 

I use an i7 bc I do other things besides gaming. But if you just game and do general pc things, strong case to be made for saving the 100 bucks or so and going i5, especially if you're on a tight budget. 

26 minutes ago, Jboord44 said:

Just curious why you are against i5's. Tech Deals and Linus himself and also others say that all you get by jumping to i7 is hyperthreading (which games basically don't use at all), and a couple MB of cache. 

I use an i7 bc I do other things besides gaming. But if you just game and do general pc things, strong case to be made for saving the 100 bucks or so and going i5, especially if you're on a tight budget. 

I didn't say get an i7.  I said get an R5 1400 or 1600.

A 1400 costs the same as a Locke i5 and has 4c/8t

A 1600 costs the same as an unlocked i5 and has 6c/12t

Both can OC decently and the 1600 comes with an awesome cooler.

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

1 hour ago, Phentos said:

But then what would all those wannabe e-sports people on Twitch do? :V

Mine:

• I will never buy an AMD product, and I don't care how good Ryzen/Vega appear. I've been burned by their stuff (almost literally) several times and I have no desire to continue trying with them anymore.
  • Windows 10 is a good operating system, and probably the best one in years.
    • People complaining that W10 Home doesn't fit their needs should cough up the dough for W10 Pro.
    • People complaining about W10's "spying" don't understand how much was already being collected by all the programs and websites and etc.
    • MS is not going to kill the Win32 API.
  • Linux as a mainstream OS is highly overrated.
  • 30FPS is a completely acceptable framerate for playing games. 60FPS is as well. Not everything has to run at 144+FPS to be considered "acceptable."
  • PCMR & that mindset have caused computer equipment prices to skyrocket, because companies know those types will pay the dosh.
  • 3D Printing is vastly overrated and overpriced. An arduino, plastic, heaters, extruders, stepper motors, and some metal sheeting & screws do not cost >$1300. I say this owning a $400 3D Printer, and I still think it's overpriced.
  • 5.25" bays are still useful, and there aren't enough cases that still have them.
    • Optical Drives are necessary and useful.

4 minutes ago, Damascus said:

I didn't say get an i7.  I said get an R5 1400 or 1600.

A 1400 costs the same as a Locke i5 and has 4c/8t

A 1600 costs the same as an unlocked i5 and has 6c/12t

Both can OC decently and the 1600 comes with an awesome cooler.

I gotcha 

5 minutes ago, HarryNyquist said:

But then what would all those wannabe e-sports people on Twitch do? :V

Get a job or an education.

New Build (The Compromise): CPU - i7 9700K @ 5.1Ghz Mobo - ASRock Z390 Taichi | RAM - 16GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200CL14 @ 3466 14-14-14-30 1T | GPU - ASUS Strix GTX 1080 TI | Cooler - Corsair h100i Pro | SSDs - 500 GB 960 EVO + 500 GB 850 EVO + 1TB MX300 | Case - Coolermaster H500 | PSUEVGA 850 P2 | Monitor - LG 32GK850G-B 144hz 1440p | OSWindows 10 Pro. 

Peripherals - Corsair K70 Lux RGB | Corsair Scimitar RGB | Audio-technica ATH M50X + Antlion Modmic 5 |

CPU/GPU history: Athlon 6000+/HD4850 > i7 2600k/GTX 580, R9 390, R9 Fury > i7 7700K/R9 Fury, 1080TI > Ryzen 1700/1080TI > i7 9700K/1080TI.

Other tech: Surface Pro 4 (i5/128GB), Lenovo Ideapad Y510P w/ Kali, OnePlus 6T (8G/128G), PS4 Slim.

3 hours ago, Phentos said:

144hz+ refresh is only necessary for high end competitive gaming.

VR is highly overrated. AR is where it's at.

Windows 10 is a fantastic OS.

Surface tablets make iPads and other tablets irrelevant within that price bracket.

802.11ad is completely pointless for most consumers, due to how far behind telecommunications infrastructure is (at least in the US).

Ultrawide monitors provide a MUCH better gaming experience than 16:9 monitors.

Edit: got more.

NVMe drives are absolutely worth the money as long as you're not sacrificing anything significant.

Hard drives are now a major hindrance for a mid-high end gaming build. All SSD builds provide a difference in the user experience that is like night and day. Get or build a NAS setup for mass storage.

SFF builds are overrated and too restrictive. Mid-tower ATX is the best size for most builds.

Gaming headsets are trash.

I agree with everything there, except the Surface part.

Grrr Surfaces.

1. Analog cable tuner cards are still needed.
  2. Windows Media Center was the best PVR on a PC.
  3. Chicklet style keyboards are perfectly fine.
  4. 128Kbps MP3 files are great.
  5. The word Gaming on a product does not mean better, no matter that the price is higher.
  6. With RGB, there is a fine line between just right and gaudy, and that line comes very shortly after "ON".

-------------------------

1. The cable coming into my house is NTSC to handle the paid content with the NTSC local channels included. Yes, there is a benefit to digital cable, but then every cable-ready TV needs an external tuner that would have to be rented.
  2. Analog and digital tuning and recording was a breeze and the channel numbers were the same immediately after the simple setup as would be found on a TV. Haupaugge's TV tuning software list the channels starting from 1 with no concern for frequency or digital markings. (48.2 could very well be 3)
  3. I don't do any heavy gaming so wireless non-mechanical keyboards have served me faithfully for years.
  4. I have server in an artillery unit and enjoyed live fire exercises. Since then ... well ...
  5. I think this is pretty self evident. Functionally there is typically so very little difference from a non-gaming component, but the manufacturers still use the word since people will buy it for more money.
  6. OK, I admit I have two devices that goes against #3 and 5. This is a mechanical RGB keyboard attached to one of my machines and a wired mouse connected to it, both are from Corsair. I have the WASD, escape keys, and the mouse highlighted in a color approximating the copper color on my Acer monitor, but only barely visible with the lights on. I needed wired KB/M because my glass and steel desk sometimes interfered with my Logitech wireless devices.They KB was the only one I found at short notice with the USB hub for the mouse, which the store offered a discount for when bought together.