What are your most unpopular tech opinions?

roundtopsam

Beats are a ripoff

iPhones aren't that good

Samsung isn't the only manufacturer that makes Android devices (one of my friends thinks that my phone that I wanna get is a Samsung phone. It's the HTC U11)

Opera is better than Chrome for me.

Someone had to say it.

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

Most unpopular tech opinion? Oh lordy, dodged a bullet there; but honest tuesdays are honest.

Probably, "I still believe that AMD's FX series has its uses and is the best option for a number of scenarios disregarding the "i want an 8 core i can overclock to 5ghz" reason of course."

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

High refresh rate at lower resolutions is more important than lower refresh rate at higher resolutions

RGB is fine because then I can colormatch my build perfectly

MSI's design team has gone insane

The ATH-M50X is a good pair of headphones for the price

Apple's battery life on smartphones is fantastic, and the reason I switched from an LG G3 to iPhone SE

My personal Blade (not so sure about others), has never had any issues and it's a phenomenally well-built device

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

1 minute ago, Atmos said:

best option for a number of scenarios

such as heating

/s

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Polaroid Spectra System

9 minutes ago, will0956 said:

Beats are a ripoff

iPhones aren't that good

Samsung isn't the only manufacturer that makes Android devices (one of my friends thinks that my phone that I wanna get is a Samsung phone. It's the HTC U11)

Those first two aren't unpopular in the tech world at all. The only people who think beats are good are sheep who haven't heard what real quality sounds like. Same goes for most iphone APPLE users, they buy into marketing too WAY TOO much.

That last one though isnt an opinion lol, its just an actual fact xD, and the only people that believe samsung are the inventors of android are luckily very few and very far between.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

3 minutes ago, shadowbyte said:

such as heating

/s

All sarcasm aside, for building a media server, game server, or even a workstation on the cheap with used parts, it doesn't get much better. Especially when you consider that most of the time a 4670k is only barely on par with an 8350 once all cores get utilized in multihreaded heavy workloads. Sure its gonna run a bit hotter, and wrack up a few more cents/hr in power, but the performance is still very solid for multithreaded activities.

Just now, Atmos said:

All sarcasm aside, for building a media server, game server, or even a workstation on the cheap with used parts, it doesn't get much better. Especially when you consider that most of the time a 4670k is only barely on par with an 8350 once all cores get utilized in multihreaded heavy workloads.

true

but if you can snag an X58 board, the Xeons on that platform will destroy both the 4670k and 8350

the only problem is the scarcity of the board, and insane price as a result

Polaroid Spectra System

Just now, shadowbyte said:

true

but if you can snag an X58 board, the Xeons on that platform will destroy both the 4670k and 8350

the only problem is the scarcity of the board, and insane price as a result

Oh for sure, nabbing a cheap 6 core hyperthreaded xeon is absolutely far better, lower power consumption, roughly the same if not a bit better performance, just that rarity price isn't exactly too fun to look at a lot of the time, same goes for the very limiting board features and sizes.

1 hour ago, Number Muncher said:

I agree with you about RGB, but I have no idea how you don't see the value in a 4K display for at least some portion of the population. I keep getting told that people can't see any finer detail than about 1080p on a regular monitor and it just boggles my mind.

Anyway, mine are:

-I like Windows (and Linux)

-vi sucks

-I like large smartphones

-I hate MOBAs

:P

My unpopular opinion is based on me not some portion of the population, and I said nothing about seeing value, I quite literally mean need.  As a user of 1080p monitors no larger than 32" for a tv, and 24" on desktop, I dont understand the core NEED.  As a professional video creator/editor shooting in 4k I cant see why even an editor NEEDS the pixels, quite literally.  Most TV commercials are 1080i 35mbps delivery, web is more than half, live streaming no more than a 7th.  I like cropping 4k, but dont need the "extra detail" when putting my content on Facebook & Youtube. Just about the only value I see is desktop real estate, but at the price, I see more real estate as overkill when pairing 2 1080p screens together.  Thanks for addressing my opinion!

I too LOVE large smartphones, an opinion 2014 me would scoff at.

League of Legends is the most fucking boring game in the universe.

Resolution + picture quality >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> refresh rate/speed

I don't see the appeal of any laptop that is smaller than 14 inches. 

Night Fury 2.0:

Spoiler

Intel Core i5-6500 / Cryorig H7 / Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H / Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz / EVGA GTX 1070 SC / Fractal Design Define R5 / Adata SP550 240GB / WD Blue 500GB / WD Blue 1TB / EVGA 750GQ 

Daily Drivers:

Spoiler

Google Pixel XL 128GB / Jaybird Bluebuds X3 / Logitech MX Master / Sennheiser HD 598 / 

I don't think spending the time and effort overclocking is worth the unnoticeable increase of performance I get

Tesla's and other electric cars I will consider useless as long as they take longer than 5 minutes to fully charge

Nintendo's the only gaming company I can rely on to consistently put out games and hardware that is fun to play and I'll want to come back to years later

MOBAs need to die

On 07/06/2017 at 1:25 AM, LeinadTM said:

I personally would never even consider an AMD CPU for even a second. Possibly graphics, never CPU. Intel's where it's at, there's a reason they dominate the market. Having only seen reviews of their components, most of them not too good, I just don't trust AMD's reliability. Having never worked with their parts myself definitely limits my position to call it fact, though.

So if you have never work with their parts how can you call reliability issues? *cough* fan boy 

I would rather stab myself in the asshole than have to use linux as a daily driver OS.  Microsoft has patented every good way of interacting with an OS so linux is left over with trash coded by arrogant pricks in their spare time.  Notice how linux has started looking more and more like Windows in the last 10 years?

"why won't you run linux / frenas/ whatever the fuck unraid lemonjizz os on your servers" .  Because with Windows I can have it up and running in 1 hour.  I don't want to spend 10 weeks googling basic shit like changing the timezone to make it work on *nix.  And fuck yourself in the ass if you want to make *nix network with anything else.  That'll be 50 plugins drivers and packages later and you'll never make it work because you'll have commit suicide before it does.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

Anything higher than 720p on mobile is just a waste of battery life

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

15 hours ago, Anjelllo said:

Uhh no, I used to have one and it could only get 60 fps in csgo at low settings 720p. This thing is only useful on very old systems or as a display adapter on cpus without integrated graphics. Seriously, unless you can get it for 5$ it's not worth imo.

...I doubt that, I get better frames CS:GO at 1920x1200 on a Radeon 3870.

6 hours ago, Aussieamdguy said:

So if you have never work with their parts how can you call reliability issues? *cough* fan boy 

Yeah, that's why I said I can't really call it fact. I just don't trust them based on what I've seen online.

On 6/6/2017 at 8:15 AM, roundtopsam said:

I've seen this discussion floating around about music on Facebook, and it has me wondering if anyone on here is willing to air their grievances in the name of a solid discussion, and not just to crap on each other haha.  To get the ball rolling:

• RGB lighting frustrates me because there are too many color options.  Not unlike having a flash cart with every NES game, I simply can't commit.
  • I don't understand why anyone needs a 4K display

And begin!

I don't understand your 2nd point. What is there to understand about a 4k screen? It's just sharper than 1080p so you can view 4k content, game in 4k, or productivity.

I know I'm explaining things you probably already know but I'm really confused. You may not want a 4k display or think its worth it, but I think it's pretty clear why someone else would use a 4k display.

Resolution and fps matters the most over eye candy.

You don't need to game at ultra settings, newer games look fine on high or even medium sometimes.

If you're only gaming, getting a SUPER HIGH END rig is pointless, unless you have buckets of money to throw around.

Nvidia sucks as a company and no one should ever by their shit again.

CSGO is the most boring game ever and it needs to die FAST.

Linux is stupid and will never be anything but shit as long as you have to constantly keep using the fucking terminal.

I have no signature

90% of the advice you get on forums is "me too" advice,  no one really knows what they are talking about, they are just parroting the current narrative.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 hour ago, mr moose said:

90% of the advice you get on forums is "me too" advice,  no one really knows what they are talking about, they are just parroting the current narrative.

indeed. we just echoing each others' comment. 

Like people who like oranges will form a group and people who like bananas form another group and keep thinking that how right they are..... 

We divide ourselves into groups base on what we like and dislike... 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

18 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

curved screens are shit

I agree about most of what you are saying, but i really do enjoy my Curved monitors...

And i find it alot easier to actually work with.

I use:

2x Dell 34" LED Curved U3417W (One center bottom, One center top)
2x Eizo 27" LED FlexScan EV2750-BK (One on each side - Mostly used for Spotify or Monitoring my servers)

Q: How many prolog programmers does it take to change a lightbulb?

A: Yes.

3 minutes ago, MathiasVN said:

I agree about most of what you are saying, but i really do enjoy my Curved monitors...

And i find it alot easier to actually work with.

I use:

2x Dell 34" LED Curved U3417W (One center bottom, One center top)
2x Eizo 27" LED FlexScan EV2750-BK (One on each side - Mostly used for Spotify or Monitoring my servers)

10min of using one and i need to throw up. like litteraly. i can not use them

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016