What are your most unpopular tech opinions?

roundtopsam
2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

FTFY.

But every one knows Firefox is superior to Chrome, that is not unpopular any more, the only reason people still use Chrome is to show off their HEDT with 32gb or more of RAM that can run 50+ tabs on it :P

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

23 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Still depends on how they use it and what they need it for. And how you use it does not apply to anyone, even average users because the average smartphone user is more likely to use Samsung now (sauce: http://www.idc.com/promo/smartphone-market-share/vendor).

Just stating my opinion like the thread tells you to :P

I'm well aware that Android is more common yet I'm of the opinion that iOS is better overall.

28 minutes ago, Vacras said:

Talking about the average user (including me)

Yeah, it's probably better overall for that. But I can do so much without even rooting that I would need a jailbreak to do on iOS. 

qυoтe мe pleaѕe!

Me at the Apple store: "So how fast is this little macbook?"

Apple employee: "Cheetah Fast. Lightning Fast. It's Really, really, fast."

2 minutes ago, Vacras said:

Just stating my opinion like the thread tells you to :P

I'm well aware that Android is more common yet I'm of the opinion that iOS is better overall.

Similar average user here. Couldn't agree more.

18 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Thunderbolt is useless

Linus would like a chat with you. :)

1 minute ago, Darth Revan said:

Linus would like a chat with you. :)

I think I'm cool, he'll be too busy having the chat with those saying RGB is dumb first xD

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Windows 10 is great

Cherry dont make the best switches

AIOs are a waste of money

NVIDIA have the shittiest drivers

32" isnt too big for a 1440p panel

27" isnt too big for a 1080p panel

EVGA has the by FAR worst looking GPUs. they ALL look like shit

used PC parts is life

used tech can still be awesome

Razer only make garbage

how your computer looks dosent matter in the fucking slightest if you can get more preformance for the same money(watercooling exepted in some cases)

all popular cases are over priced

TG looks bad, id rather have actylic

RGB is nice but only for color matching / theme

the rubiks cube is easy as shit

the xbox one controler is the best controler

you CAN have too many flash sticks

haveing a multi tool is vital

Paladins > Overwatch

Paladins > CS:GO

BDO > WoW

the 970 G1 is overrated as hell

butterfly knives are much better then fidget spinners

soundcards are pretty awesome

WiFi is horrible in basically every way if you are on a desktop PC

case airflow is unimportant

honestly there are probably quite a few more where that comes from but that should cover most of them

On 2017-06-06 at 6:07 PM, Pandalf said:

Firefox is superior than Chrome on desktop.

Logitech G502 is extremely overrated.

love my G502 expet that its too light :/ i have my gripes with it but its over all the best mouse i have ever used

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

21 hours ago, roundtopsam said:
  • iMessage is the only reason to buy an iPhone
  • If you don't put an optical drive in your modern PC I think you're missing a crucial piece of hardware
  • Most people can't tell the difference between their high bitrate FLAC files and a Spotify stream
  • Beats by Dre is a bigger ripoff than most of Apple's products, and it makes complete sense that one bought the other.
  • Physical copies of software will never go away entirely
  • I wanted to buy a Wii U but never got around to it
  • Microsoft Stores absolutely trolling Apple Stores is the best thing to happen to retail since... ever

my Wii U is in my claused gathering dust, games were so expensive that i gave up on it. im NOT spending $50 on a basic game with shitty graphics and gameplay which was basically what it offred when i was using it...

9 hours ago, MathiasVN said:

Linux > Windows > macOS

exept for games, otherwise i would agree.

14 hours ago, Clanscorpia said:

That gamers should buy i5's instead of R5s

really? id love to hear some resoning behind that seeing as R5s are cheaper and preform better lol

11 hours ago, Rangaman42 said:

- I don't like gaming mice, they're usually too light or too 'gamery'

- I don't care about 4k or refresh rates above about 75Hz, I'm much more interested in OLED technology and maybe HDR, although I haven't had much hands-on time.

- VR is not for me and adds almost nothing to most experiences. The ones it does add to, I don't think it adds enough to justify the price

- Wires are for chumps, and I'll take wireless gear every time, I don't need that extra 4ms of input lag and I want it clean.

- I liked my FX-8320, it was a great little chip for 3d rendering on a budget, and OC'd nearly a full 1.0GHz over stock without overheating

i got to agree with the mice, even my G502 is too light with all the weights in -_- 

i just OC all my screens to get aroun d 75Hz, works great lol

VR is awesome and i really want it but its too expensive for me to bother investing in

seeing as i play a load of competative esports games those 4ms matter to me, wired over wireless any time at the moment

thats one of the verry few ways they were a decent buy

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Corsair 80+ bronze psus are fine and people circle jerk way too often about them

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

4K TVs are absolutely useless for watching TV, nobody broadcasts UHD anyway and won't for a long time.

9 hours ago, Raskolnikov said:

60 fps is great, but 30 fps is playable.

under 45fps and my eyes bleed. 30 is not fine. if you have ever had a 75Hz panel or above you will probably feel the same.

7 hours ago, Mooshi said:

Asrock > Asus

yes. just so much yes. i can recomend ASUS to other people but i have never had anything ASUS that has been good. ASRock however are great, my current motherboard for example, the Z97 anneversairy is awesome and i got it new, no sale what so ever for $80. BIOS is great, has all the ports i could want and OCing has been awesome on it, while all my ASUS boards have just gone and semi died in some sort of way and the support goes "too bad, we wont do anything!" basically. ASRocks website is shit though.

2 hours ago, noobadin said:

overclocking is pretty pointless 

so running 5GHz instead of 4GHz on my I7 4790K wont see me with substantial preformance gains huh? overclocking is awesome. same with GPUs, even my poor shitty 970 gets another 10fps at the least when overclocked in basically every scenario i have tested it in at 1080p. 

56 minutes ago, Linksys120n said:

I'm running at 3.9 Gigahertz stable without breaking a sweat... could probably hit 4.0 if I pushed it.

most 1700's can do that too though.

also to add another few to my list:

curved screens are shit

overclocking is massive amounts of FUN

x" laptops > x" tablets, 2 in 1's or phablets

mice with just the basic buttons dont have enough buttons

mic + headphones > headset

only the latest benchmarks matter

phone VR will never be that great

Builds:

Spoiler

Core 2 Duos are still fine for everything one can do these days. People think my computer is absolute trash, and I'm like ha, look what it's doing right now. See that? Show me that on your whatever that is. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

On 6/6/2017 at 11:25 AM, LeinadTM said:

I personally would never even consider an AMD CPU for even a second. Possibly graphics, never CPU. Intel's where it's at, there's a reason they dominate the market. Having only seen reviews of their components, most of them not too good, I just don't trust AMD's reliability. Having never worked with their parts myself definitely limits my position to call it fact, though.

HAVE YOU LOOKED AT THE RYZEN BENCHMARKS????

13 minutes ago, Platypus_90 said:

4K TVs are absolutely useless for wathcing TV, noboby broadcasts UHD anyway and wont for a long time.

I would even go so far to say that 4k displays in general make no sense since there is no content available for them anyways, in laptops they just drain the battery and on desktops 1440p seems so much more resonable to me.

I've been rocking a 32" 1080p samsung tv in game mode for quite some time now and i cant complain about the size to resolution ratio at all.. don't understand why people freak out so much about resolution though tbh.

2 hours ago, Anjelllo said:

Uhh no, I used to have one and it could only get 60 fps in csgo at low settings 720p. This thing is only useful on very old systems or as a display adapter on cpus without integrated graphics. Seriously, unless you can get it for 5$ it's not worth imo.

You used a DRR3 Version. GDDR5 is billions of times faster. CS:GO runs at 90 at 1080p high. It was worth the 30$ 

Primary Laptop (Gearsy MK4): Ryzen 9 5900HX, Radeon RX 6800M, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 24 GB DDR4 2400 Mhz, 512 GB SSD+1TB SSD, 15.6 in 300 Hz IPS display

2021 Asus ROG Strix G15 Advantage Edition

Secondary Laptop (Uni MK2): Ryzen 7 5800HS, Nvidia GTX 1650, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 16 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz, 512 GB SSD 

2021 Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 

Meme Machine (Uni MK1): Shintel Core i5 7200U, Nvidia GT 940MX, 24 GB DDR4 2133 Mhz, 256 GB SSD+500GB HDD, 15.6 in TN Display 

2016 Acer Aspire E5 575 

Retired Laptop (Gearsy MK2): Ryzen 5 2500U, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 12 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4, 256 GB NVME SSD, 15.6" 1080p IPS Touchscreen 

2017 HP Envy X360 15z (Ryzen)

PC (Gearsy): A6 3650, HD 6530D , 8 GB 1600 Mhz Kingston DDR3, Some Random Mobo Lol, EVGA 450W BT PSU, Stock Cooler, 128 GB Kingston SSD, 1 TB WD Blue 7200 RPM

HP P7 1234 (Yes It's Actually Called That)  RIP 

Also im happy to answer any Ryzen Mobile questions if anyone is interested! 

graphics aren't THAT important in games

even though i have a 1070...

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

No one needs a 4k display outside of media pros. Almost always recommend the i5 over i7. 

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

2 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Windows 10 is great

Cherry dont make the best switches

AIOs are a waste of money

NVIDIA have the shittiest drivers

32" isnt too big for a 1440p panel

27" isnt too big for a 1080p panel

EVGA has the by FAR worst looking GPUs. they ALL look like shit

used PC parts is life

used tech can still be awesome

Razer only make garbage

how your computer looks dosent matter in the fucking slightest if you can get more preformance for the same money(watercooling exepted in some cases)

all popular cases are over priced

TG looks bad, id rather have actylic

RGB is nice but only for color matching / theme

the rubiks cube is easy as shit

the xbox one controler is the best controler

you CAN have too many flash sticks

haveing a multi tool is vital

Paladins > Overwatch

Paladins > CS:GO

BDO > WoW

the 970 G1 is overrated as hell

butterfly knives are much better then fidget spinners

soundcards are pretty awesome

WiFi is horrible in basically every way if you are on a desktop PC

case airflow is unimportant

honestly there are probably quite a few more where that comes from but that should cover most of them

love my G502 expet that its too light :/ i have my gripes with it but its over all the best mouse i have ever used

I'd like to start by saying these are serious questions.  I'm not saying you're wrong or anything.  Just curious I promise.  

1. What's better than cherry switches?    Looking for a nice keyboard and so far planning to get a Corsair K70 (I think it's K70) lux with cherry brown switches.  

2. Aren't AIOs much cheaper than a custom loop water cooling setup?

3. Idk if EVGA is the ugliest brand but I'll agree they aren't pretty either.  Gigabyte is the best IMO.  But that's just my preference I don't expect others to share it.  

4. What makes a G1 970 overrated?    Never used one so idk about it.   

2 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Since I saw it...

The GTX 970 debacle is a great example of emotions and sensationalism trumping reason and understanding and reflects upon the entitled Millennial stereotype quite well.

Doesn't the 970 have some sort of issue with using over 3.5GB of VRAM though?

I thought I heard something about that but I don't remember a source if I had seen one.  

3 minutes ago, Shreyas1 said:

graphics aren't THAT important in games

even though i have a 1070...

Graphics are icing on the cupcake though.  They make an awesome game extra nice.  ?

Gameplay is more important though.  

Having a 1070 doesn't make you a hypocrit though if that's what you're worried about.  You could want higher fps in games.  Or enjoy having a card that'll last a while vs lower performance cards.  Or something else.  Point is you wanted a 1070 and you got one.  Nothing to worry about.   

16 hours ago, Clanscorpia said:

They've had them in development for a few months. A CPU takes a little bit more than a week or 2 to develop :P Plus AMD has done hurried announcements for yeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrsssssssssss and Intel has done it one time in like 15 years and "Holy shit Intel is a nasty business that's lazy and never does anything" 

They've had them in development for a few years - the i9s they're shoving to us?  Those are just modified Xeons, yo.

7 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Doesn't the 970 have some sort of issue with using over 3.5GB of VRAM though?

I thought I heard something about that but I don't remember a source if I had seen one. 

Sure, but nobody thought beyond that. They just went "YOU LIED TO US, THERE'S ONLY 3.5GB OF FAST VRAM"

Because here's the decision NVIDIA had to make: cut off a pair of memory controllers entirely and ship with 3GB of VRAM and even less bandwidth and ROP performance (because they're all intertwined somehow), deal with less yield in trying to get all of the underlying parts to work (which also doesn't make sense because the GPU itself can't produce enough work to saturate a full complement of ROPs), or take a third option.

I'm more upset at the apparent lack of clear communication between the engineers and marketing (which I've experienced in some form or fashion) than the engineering decision that went into this.

At the end of the day, what the reviewers put out is the card you were going to get. The GTX 970 doesn't suddenly perform worse because you know it has memory partitioning.

Just now, Bleedingyamato said:

I'd like to start by saying these are serious questions.  I'm not saying you're wrong or anything.  Just curious I promise.  

1. What's better than cherry switches?    Looking for a nice keyboard and so far planning to get a Corsair K70 (I think it's K70) lux with cherry brown switches.  

2. Aren't AIOs much cheaper than a custom loop water cooling setup?

3. Idk if EVGA is the ugliest brand but I'll agree they aren't pretty either.  Gigabyte is the best IMO.  But that's just my preference I don't expect others to share it.  

4. What makes a G1 970 overrated?    Never used one so idk about it.   

1: the rarer alps switches, quite a few chery clones, buckling springs and so on. im not saying they are that bad, i dont dislike my chery brown or blue board but i cant say they are the best around seeing as even membrane switches feel better then browns sometimes -_- 

2: oh yah, loads! but they preform worse then an air cooler of the same price, are louder then and air cooler and dont offer the same cooling as a custom loop. to me you either want a big air cooler or a custom loop, AIOs make no sense.

3: gigabyte is my favorite brand aswell usiually but i have been drawn to Zotac more and more.

4: people seem to praise it like the next coming of jesus, so i got one, even has the good samsung memory, and then it dosent overclock for shit. wont do a single MHz once its reached 60C it shits itself and crashes. i proved the temps were the major problem by putting an aftermarket cooler on mine and not even NOW does it overclock any good. its like people forget the silicon lottery is a thing once the god damn 970 G1 is brought up. the cooler isnt even that great! sure it LOOKS awesome, but its loud and dosent keep the card especially cool even at stock clocks

Builds:

Spoiler

2 hours ago, Jamiec1130 said:

Core 2 Duos are still fine for everything one can do these days. People think my computer is absolute trash, and I'm like ha, look what it's doing right now. See that? Show me that on your whatever that is. 

P4s work fine if all you are doing is light browsing and chatting tbh, its not a nice experience but it works. my dads work PC still has a 3GHz P4 and runns XP, he is able to be productive on that. i wouldent use it for anything beyond old games but it works for him. 

23 minutes ago, Scruffy90 said:

No one needs a 4k display outside of media pros. Almost always recommend the i5 over i7. 

why not the R5's tho? :P also i can sortof get that but if people have the money the I7 will preform quite a bit better and has done so in basically every generation of the Core I lineup. it wouldent exist without a purpose.

Builds:

Spoiler