What are your most unpopular tech opinions?

roundtopsam
6 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Sure, but nobody thought beyond that. They just went "YOU LIED TO US, THERE'S ONLY 3.5GB OF FAST VRAM"

Because here's the decision NVIDIA had to make: cut off a pair of memory controllers entirely and ship with 3GB of VRAM and even less bandwidth and ROP performance (because they're all intertwined somehow), deal with less yield in trying to get all of the underlying parts to work (which also doesn't make sense because the GPU itself can't produce enough work to saturate a full complement of ROPs), or take a third option.

I'm more upset at the apparent lack of clear communication between the engineers and marketing (which I've experienced in some form or fashion) than the engineering decision that went into this.

At the end of the day, what the reviewers put out is the card you were going to get. The GTX 970 doesn't suddenly perform worse because you know it has memory partitioning.

we all got $20 back though because we were whiny bitches... i sadly forgot to claim mine

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

10 hours ago, Mooshi said:

Coin mining is cancer and AMD cards aren't even that top end to justify gauging.

RBG complainers are more annoying than those who go with the tacky rainbow default effect instead of a solid theme.

212 Evo is an okay cooler, but needs to stop being blindly recommend like the second coming of Jesus.

NZXT S340 is an overhyped case.

Asrock > Asus

Fite me bro

Coin Mining is a fine death for used hardware that's just laying around.  Buying new hardware to mine with (like RX 580s...) is the cancer.

RGB complainers in general are fucking annoying - it's your system.  Do what you want with it.

212 Evo isn't blindly recommended like the second coming of Jesus - it's recommended because it's an okay cooler for a very okay price. 

S340 isn't really overhyped either - it's recommended because it's a very good quality case for the price.  I recommend it for budget ATX builds.  Anything else I go with Phanteks or Fractal

You do you for brand loyalty, brah. I've has MSI, Asus, ASRock and Gigabyte and the only one of them I would prefer to avoid in the future is Gigabyte.

Faster quad-cores are better than slower hexacores for gaming and productivity (CAD and editing). 

iOS is better and more reliable than Android. (I've replaced my Note 4 and 5 three times this year and my SE is still going since launch day)

High frame-rate gaming doesn't require a top-end chip (i.e. any i5 will stop displaying frames after 60Hz or whatever people like to quote)

RAM speed and latency does matter (but people think it's only for Ryzen and Intel has gained from it since Haswell and SB)

I love my consoles since moving them is just two plugs, a fucking box, and done! 

Edit: NVMe does help when booting nearly every program you'll use at startup. Looking at you Displayfusion, AviMark, and IDEXX!

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

I would probably argue with you about the 4K display, but here are my opinions:

- Why get a 15.6" '4k' laptop when a 15.6" Matte FHD is hundreds of dollars/pounds cheaper and looks much better.

- Buying a GTX 1080 for your 60Hz 1080p monitor is not a waste at all!

I think I have more, but that's all I can think of now.

Just now, ARikozuM said:

Faster quad-cores are better than slower hexacores for gaming.

iOS is better and more reliable than Android. (I've replaced my Note 4 and 5 three times this year and my SE is still going since launch day)

High frame-rate gaming doesn't require a top-end chip (i.e. any i5 will stop displaying frames after 60Hz or whatever people like to quote)

RAM speed and latency does matter (but people think it's only for Ryzen and Intel has gained from it since Haswell and SB)

I love my consoles since moving them is just two plugs, a fucking box, and done! 

thats just the current optimization but as of now, yes that is true

i felt it was too locked down and im too poor to afford apple stuff

verry true, game logic dosent just happen faster necesairely

ofc

or, you have a laptop that you can also do that with but i can understand the apeal never the less

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

7 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

P4s work fine if all you are doing is light browsing and chatting tbh, its not a nice experience but it works. my dads work PC still has a 3GHz P4 and runns XP, he is able to be productive on that. i wouldent use it for anything beyond old games but it works for him. 

why not the R5's tho? :P also i can sortof get that but if people have the money the I7 will preform quite a bit better and has done so in basically every generation of the Core I lineup. it wouldent exist without a purpose.

I don't have hands on exp with the Ryzen line up and I've been making that argument for some time now.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

17 hours ago, TheLagDidIt said:

more mice should be made left handed or ambidextrous for us 10%

Get the steelseries sensei. 

You will thank me later. 

Better than logitech G502 in every single way. 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

17 minutes ago, Vespertine said:

I would probably argue with you about the 4K display, but here are my opinions:

- Why get a 15.6" '4k' laptop when a 15.6" Matte FHD is hundreds of dollars/pounds cheaper and looks much better.

- Buying a GTX 1080 for your 60Hz 1080p monitor is not a waste at all!

I think I have more, but that's all I can think of now.

Was the gtx 1080 part sarcasm? My friend got his parents to buy him two 1080ti's for his 1080p 60hz monitor for "future proofing". He's....not very smart.

13 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Sure, but nobody thought beyond that. They just saw "YOU LIED TO US, THERE'S ONLY 3.5GB OF FAST VRAM"

Because here's the decision NVIDIA had to make: cut off a pair of memory controllers entirely and ship with 3GB of VRAM and even less bandwidth and ROP performance (because they're all intertwined somehow), deal with less yield in trying to get all of the underlying parts to work (which also doesn't make sense because the GPU itself can't produce enough work to saturate a full complement of ROPs), or take a third option.

I'm more upset at the apparent lack of clear communication between the engineers and marketing (which I've experienced in some form or fashion) than the engineering decision that went into this.

At the end of the day, what the reviewers put out is the card you were going to get. The GTX 970 doesn't suddenly perform worse because you know it has memory partitioning.

I'm just interested in how much if any difference the 3.5/.5GB thing makes and any potential issues that causes not if I was "lied to".  

The lack of proper marketing is an issue I agree.  Even if it's still the same card and a reasonably good card at that knowing the specs upfront is nice.  

It was defintely blown out of proportion I agree about that too.  

12 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

1: the rarer alps switches, quite a few chery clones, buckling springs and so on. im not saying they are that bad, i dont dislike my chery brown or blue board but i cant say they are the best around seeing as even membrane switches feel better then browns sometimes -_- 

2: oh yah, loads! but they preform worse then an air cooler of the same price, are louder then and air cooler and dont offer the same cooling as a custom loop. to me you either want a big air cooler or a custom loop, AIOs make no sense.

3: gigabyte is my favorite brand aswell usiually but i have been drawn to Zotac more and more.

4: people seem to praise it like the next coming of jesus, so i got one, even has the good samsung memory, and then it dosent overclock for shit. wont do a single MHz once its reached 60C it shits itself and crashes. i proved the temps were the major problem by putting an aftermarket cooler on mine and not even NOW does it overclock any good. its like people forget the silicon lottery is a thing once the god damn 970 G1 is brought up. the cooler isnt even that great! sure it LOOKS awesome, but its loud and dosent keep the card especially cool even at stock clocks

Is there an alternative to cherry brown that isn't so rare that's worth considering?

AIOs are at least nice when you can't fit a large enough air cooler though I'd think?

Where somehow you can fit the rad but not a tower air cooler.  

Never really paid attention to Zotac.  It's not like I have anything really against them but I don't know about them.  That lack of knowledge makes it hard to not at least wonder if Zotac is some obscure budget brand.  

Not saying it is.  My head has weird ideas sometimes.  ?

I never tried ocing my G1 1070 but I liked it well enough that as tempted as I am to give it to my friend to replace the 970 I previously gave her I really want to keep it to start a GPU collection with the 960 in my secondary desktop.  

Just now, Anjelllo said:

Was the gtx 1080 part sarcasm? My friend got his parents to buy him two 1080ti's for his 1080p 60hz monitor for "future proofing". He's....not very smart.

Yeah, that was sarcasm, and you didn't get it, damn I shouldn't start trying to be funny.

Unpopular opinion- ryzen is a better choice for buyers right now (at least for the mid/high end cause the g4560 is still budget king), but that doesn't mean games are magically going to start supporting more cores and optimise for them, so skylake and kabylake definitely aren't "obselete" 

• Some of the apple products are the most long lasting product I've heard. They have decent/great build quality and lower failure rate. 
  • People think that macs are over priced, and they think just because you are getting a mac, you are wasting money. I think their GTX1080 is a waste of money. I think those fancy motherboard, RGB PWM fans and thousands of dollars of watercooling part are a waste of money. (Probably because I don't game.)
  • Android will never, I mean never satisfy their consumer. Because no one can actually get a fucking OS update. And this will never change. Android users can yell "we want an OS update and more years of software support" all they want, they just won't get it. Because of those companies don't really care. And android in general is always, always gonna be more buggier than iOS. I've owned a dozen of android devices, (high end and low end) all I got was headache. a.k.a software glitches/bugs. 
  • You shouldn't measure one product's usefulness solely by its price. Just because you think it is a waste of money, does not mean it is a waste of money for everyone. If you think a thing (for example jewlery) that cost someone 5k and they only wear it  on special occasion that means they are wasting their money, oh boy, you should really see how people who are richer than you live their life. For me I can get a $50 mouse, for someone else, a $50 mouse is a waste of money. vice versa, for you a 3k iMac is a joke, for other people, it is only their one week's salary. 
  • Also I think at least 50% of the people are using hardware that are wayyyyyy too powerful for them. For everyday usage, you don't need a machine that will cost you a fortune. 

On 06/06/2017 at 11:23 PM, tmcclelland455 said:

Wanting to get a MBP 13" seems to get me some shit because my reasoning is that I hate Windows and I want a break from it, and Linux just infuriates me to no end half the time. :/

at the end of the day it is your money.... people will always give you shit. 

if you dont spend it, you are a coward. live a little. 

if you spent it, ahh... wasting your money on overpriced garbage apple mach@#$#$%%$#@@$%^^$#@#$%$%

as long as you know what you are doing, and some kind of restraint spending money shouldn't cost you trouble. 

23 minutes ago, Anjelllo said:

Unpopular opinion- ryzen is a better choice for buyers right now (at least for the mid/high end cause the g4560 is still budget king), but that doesn't mean games are magically going to start supporting more cores and optimise for them, so skylake and kabylake definitely aren't "obselete" 

That and developers/publishers are going to target what they think is low end enough. If it scales up well, then great. If not, then oh well.

On 6/6/2017 at 8:23 AM, tmcclelland455 said:

Wanting to get a MBP 13" seems to get me some shit because my reasoning is that I hate Windows and I want a break from it, and Linux just infuriates me to no end half the time. :/

Little late to the party responding to this, but that's just people trying to put their needs onto you, thinking you should be using a computer like they do.

Buy a computer for what you want it to do. If macOS fits your needs, it fits your needs. Anyone who tries to tell you otherwise is dumb :)

Unpopular opinion : foundries should be pursuing low cost over performance for their process tech. 

Which is why i love FD-SOI

Also :Moore's law is dead

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

5 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

We should be reasonable and considerate of other people's opinions and understand that they have different preferences than ours. 

I HATE THAT IDEA [/s]

1 hour ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Is there an alternative to cherry brown that isn't so rare that's worth considering?

AIOs are at least nice when you can't fit a large enough air cooler though I'd think?

Where somehow you can fit the rad but not a tower air cooler.  

Never really paid attention to Zotac.  It's not like I have anything really against them but I don't know about them.  That lack of knowledge makes it hard to not at least wonder if Zotac is some obscure budget brand.  

Not saying it is.  My head has weird ideas sometimes.  ?

I never tried ocing my G1 1070 but I liked it well enough that as tempted as I am to give it to my friend to replace the 970 I previously gave her I really want to keep it to start a GPU collection with the 960 in my secondary desktop.  

lots of chery clones you could look into if you care, and mathias swtiches which are basically new alps

ehh if you are doing an SFF build the you are most likely not planing to overclock and makeing a custom loop in that case would either way give you the best results

Zotac are pretty major, right now they have a focus on haveing some of the smallest cards on the market

its just the 970 G1 people are crazy about. sure its OK but was there really not a 970 that was better? im pretty sure there was tbh. i own a bunch of GPUs, even a EVGA 660 with the ACX 2.0 cooler(it looks like shit) and a 8800GT, but my R9 280x is dead and taken for scraps and my R9 270x still sortof has some life but its pretty dead aswell so il be chopping it up for the VRM once i get around to it.

Builds:

Spoiler

2 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

I1. What's better than cherry switches?    Looking for a nice keyboard and so far planning to get a Corsair K70 (I think it's K70) lux with cherry brown switches.  

3. Idk if EVGA is the ugliest brand but I'll agree they aren't pretty either.  Gigabyte is the best IMO.  But that's just my preference I don't expect others to share it.  

To the first: I don't know if I would say they're better, but I love the Romer-Gs (I think they feel like better Browns, personally) and the Topres and then I legit can't tell the difference from Gaterons when it comes to blues and browns.

1 hour ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

lots of chery clones you could look into if you care, and mathias swtiches which are basically new alps

ehh if you are doing an SFF build the you are most likely not planing to overclock and makeing a custom loop in that case would either way give you the best results

Zotac are pretty major, right now they have a focus on haveing some of the smallest cards on the market

its just the 970 G1 people are crazy about. sure its OK but was there really not a 970 that was better? im pretty sure there was tbh. i own a bunch of GPUs, even a EVGA 660 with the ACX 2.0 cooler(it looks like shit) and a 8800GT, but my R9 280x is dead and taken for scraps and my R9 270x still sortof has some life but its pretty dead aswell so il be chopping it up for the VRM once i get around to it.

Small would be cool.  I want to do a mini-ITX build as soon as I feel like spending the money.  

25 minutes ago, CerberusLabrat said:

To the first: I don't know if I would say they're better, but I love the Romer-Gs (I think they feel like better Browns, personally) and the Topres and then I legit can't tell the difference from Gaterons when it comes to blues and browns.

Is there more than one type of those romer switches?

4 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Small would be cool.  I want to do a mini-ITX build as soon as I feel like spending the money.  

Is there more than one type of those romer switches?

The only type of Romer-Gs are the one switch type they use in the Logitech keyboards

I would recommend going for mATX over mITX.  As someone who's had both - mATX is still very portable if you get the right case for it, and you've got a lot more options.  I would only get mITX if you are absolutely, 150% sure you are never going to want SLI/Crossfire in it and that you are never going to be wanting any networking/RAID/other cards alongside your GPU.

On 6/6/2017 at 11:15 AM, roundtopsam said:

I've seen this discussion floating around about music on Facebook, and it has me wondering if anyone on here is willing to air their grievances in the name of a solid discussion, and not just to crap on each other haha.  To get the ball rolling:

• RGB lighting frustrates me because there are too many color options.  Not unlike having a flash cart with every NES game, I simply can't commit.
  • I don't understand why anyone needs a 4K display

And begin!

I agree with you about RGB, but I have no idea how you don't see the value in a 4K display for at least some portion of the population. I keep getting told that people can't see any finer detail than about 1080p on a regular monitor and it just boggles my mind.

Anyway, mine are:

-I like Windows (and Linux)

-vi sucks

-I like large smartphones

-I hate MOBAs

:P