RUMOR: Did Denuvo accidentally pirate some of their anti-piracy software?

WMGroomAK

Just had to post this even though it may be a rumor, but it appears that Denuvo Software Solutions may be using an unlicensed version of VMProtect Software as a part of it's anti-piracy software...  From the article at TechSpot:

http://www.techspot.com/news/69572-denuvo-allegedly-protected-own-anti-piracy-software-pirated.html

According to TorrentFreak, VMProtect Software has accused Denuvo Software Solutions of using an unlicensed version of its anti-piracy software. Three years ago, the two companies had been in talks regarding licensing terms. Denuvo wanted to use VMProtect's anti-piracy solution to protect its own software. VMProtect made it clear to Denuvo that because of the nature of the software, the standard $500 licensing fee would not be enough. This assertion makes sense considering Denuvo would be integrated into thousands of other pieces of software. Despite this, Denuvo decided to purchase a $500 license and use the software regardless.

It is worth noting that these allegations should be taken with a bit of skepticism since the source is an anonymous poster on a Russian forum that goes by the handle drVanо who claims to be a developer at VMProtect.

He maintains that VMProtect has informed Denuvo that they have revoked its license and offered to accept a modest compensation package, but Denuvo ignored the deal. VMProtect then contacted anti-virus company Sophos and requested that it start flagging “offending versions of Denuvo as potential malware.” The move to flag Denuvo as malware is not much more than a Bandaid to the larger concern, but drVano says that VMProtect is in the process of formulating a formal complaint with it ultimately leading to legal proceedings.

As the article states, the sources are a little bit sketchy, however, if there is some truth behind this, it seems kind of funny...  If anything, it may be a lesson to Denuvo to ensure their own licensing is in order.

UPDATE:  VMProtect Software has issued a formal statement clarifying that there are no open issues between VMProtect and Denuvo although it does not really provide any details...  

http://vmpsoft.com/20170606/vmprotect-and-denuvo-gmbh/

Hi there!

We were informed that there are open questions and some uncertainty about the use of our software by DENUVO GmbH.

Referring to this circumstance we want to clarify that DENUVO GmbH had the right to use our software in the past and has the right to use it currently as well as in the future.

In summary, no open issues exist between DENUVO GmbH and VMProtect Software for which reason you may ignore any other divergent information.

Whether there really was anything that happened in the background still isn't clear, however it would appear that Denuvo and VMProtect are currently in each others good graces.

Edited by WMGroomAK
Updated information

Who is Denuvo.

Who is VMProtect.

Who would care?

5 minutes ago, WMGroomAK said:

VMProtect then contacted anti-virus company Sophos and requested that it start flagging “offending versions of Denuvo as potential malware.”

Am I the only person to whom this part stood out?

1 minute ago, Yamoto42 said:

I thought that was kind of interesting as well...  Would be nice to know if someone using Sophos Anti-Virus and trying to run a game with Denuvo DRM like Rime (although Rime is supposed to be updated to remove Denuvo) or Nier has noticed any issues recently...

They didn't exactly pirate it, they just used software with the wrong license and voiding the Terms and Agreement thingy. Or whatever it's called.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

1 minute ago, samcool55 said:

They didn't exactly pirate it, they just used software with the wrong license and voiding the Terms and Agreement thingy. Or whatever it's called.

I think if VMProtect actually does move forward with a legal case, that the question will be whether they knowingly used an improper license or not and whether they reverse engineered some of VMProtects software to implement their own software...  From reading the article, it sounds like Denuvo may have intentionally used the cheaper license instead of getting the proper one.  Of course, this appears to only be one side of the story so hopefully some more details come out on it...

1 minute ago, WMGroomAK said:

I think if VMProtect actually does move forward with a legal case, that the question will be whether they knowingly used an improper license or not and whether they reverse engineered some of VMProtects software to implement their own software...  From reading the article, it sounds like Denuvo may have intentionally used the cheaper license instead of getting the proper one.  Of course, this appears to only be one side of the story so hopefully some more details come out on it...

If the story is true than yes, Denuvo knew because they told them a while ago the license wouldn't be sufficient and a more expensive one is required but no reaction, recently VMProtect pointed out what they are doing is wrong and gave them 1 last chance to get a decent key. Because VMProtect is now telling the world about it i assume Denuvo ignored/denied it once again and are in big trouble now.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

1 hour ago, WMGroomAK said:

I thought that was kind of interesting as well...  Would be nice to know if someone using Sophos Anti-Virus and trying to run a game with Denuvo DRM like Rime (although Rime is supposed to be updated to remove Denuvo) or Nier has noticed any issues recently...

Sophos is used on a lot of corporate level stuff. Seen it used as an attack vector in political discussions before.

1 hour ago, samcool55 said:

that.. is the definition of piracy.. its violating its copyright (unauthorized storage, reproduction, distribution, or sale of intellectual property).

I wonder what Linus and Luke's reaction would be if this one's on the WAN Show.

Spoiler

Intel Core i5-4460  | CM Seidon 120v Plus  | Zotac GTX 970 AMP! Extreme Edition | MSI Z97 Krait SLI Motherboard | 4x4G (16G) DDR3 HyperX Fury Black & White | Bitfenix Ronin | Thermaltake SE 730w PSU | Sandisk 128G SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB | WD Blue 500G | ASUS VX239H IPS Monitor

Not pirating, just stealing.

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

11 hours ago, Dutch-stoner said:

Who is Denuvo.

Who is VMProtect.

Who would care?

-Denuvo is one of the biggest DRM companies out there right now, with the toughest encryption. theyre the ones who keep brand new games away from pirates.

-VMProtect is a software company that actually produces the DRM, its also used by companys like NCsoft, cyberlink, and elcomsoft.

-and only people who actually pay attention to this kinda stuff would care. i found it interesting, but its really not as interesting as the article portrays.

They didnt actually pirate anything. they were told that due to the nature of their business, they would need a different license than the one they are actually using, and they bought the wrong one anyways. its technically against the EULA and they could get in trouble if VMProtect decides to go after them, but nothing is gonna happen.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

11 hours ago, samcool55 said:

AKA Pirating.

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

15 hours ago, samcool55 said:

and then ignored requests to use the correct license despite being told prior that they are not to use the current license for national distribution. 

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

5 hours ago, Tsuki said:

-Denuvo is one of the biggest DRM companies out there right now, with the toughest encryption. theyre the ones who keep brand new games away from pirates.

-VMProtect is a software company that actually produces the DRM, its also used by companys like NCsoft, cyberlink, and elcomsoft.

-and only people who actually pay attention to this kinda stuff would care. i found it interesting, but its really not as interesting as the article portrays.

They didnt actually pirate anything. they were told that due to the nature of their business, they would need a different license than the one they are actually using, and they bought the wrong one anyways. its technically against the EULA and they could get in trouble if VMProtect decides to go after them, but nothing is gonna happen.

By the same token, if I own a game it's technically against the EULA for me to make backup copies of it or even download a copy of it if I want to. Yet the entire point of Denuvo is to basically deny legal rights like your right to make backups without questioning or taking into account fair use.

Sorry but if people can use hyperbolic arguments like "Piracy is theft!" it's only fair Denuvo is afforded the same benefit of doubt they're in the business of promoting: None.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Iirc, the VMProtect made a statement about how it's all "good" between Denuvo and themselves. $$$ amirite.

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

This is so funny.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

4 hours ago, ElfenSky said:

Iirc, the VMProtect made a statement about how it's all "good" between Denuvo and themselves. $$$ amirite.

I think I found a link for something related to this... Seems like some money might have exchanging hands to make things right. :)  I'll post an update on this...

http://vmpsoft.com/20170606/vmprotect-and-denuvo-gmbh/

On 6/6/2017 at 4:43 AM, Yamoto42 said:

Yep, That type of action makes me drop AV providers, I puchased Anti-Virus not Anti-CopyrightedMaterial.

On 6/6/2017 at 4:46 AM, WMGroomAK said:

Yeah I use Sophos, I didn't see any issues, if your using the cloud based one, you'll get an alert on your portal, and you can decide to block it if you want. Nothing like this ever came up, but I am not sure if I have any of these versions on my system.