AMD Radeon RX VEGA to Launch at SIGGRAPH 2017

HKZeroFive

Polaris 10 rx 400/500 expensive weak gpu's

lol what they are cheaper than the competition equivalent and perform better (580 > 1060)

that are all out of stock

That is a good thing for AMD... Its not lack of availability they are selling out to miners because in terms of compute (mining) they are nearly as good as a 1070 for less cost.

I have to 200$ for new GPU

Why are you even complaining about a vega delay your budget puts you in 570/580 sector not where vega will be competing.

Just now, yian88 said:

and because of unavailable stock 400/500 series they are losing sales/market share to 1050ti/1060.

You do know why they are out of stock right? People are buying them faster than the supply can keep up, that means they aren't losing sales to anything. It's not possible to lose a sale you were never going to get, unfortunately you can't always get what you want due to factors out of your control.

It's rather interesting how for AMD products when they are selling well and become hard to source it's a major issue and they're losing sales but for any other company it's a sign of good sales?

17 minutes ago, leadeater said:

You do know why they are out of stock right? People are buying them faster than the supply can keep up, that means they aren't losing sales to anything. It's not possible to lose a sale you were never going to get, unfortunately you can't always get what you want due to factors out of your control.

It's rather interesting how for AMD products when they are selling well and become hard to source it's a major issue and they're losing sales but for any other company it's a sign of good sales?

There are many similar comments in this thread that equally make very little sense. It's like some of these guys have no idea about the market they are talking about. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

19 minutes ago, leadeater said:

god it is funny hearing people say that AMD is not making money because the GPU's are not selling due to them being out of stock.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

1 hour ago, outercry said:

as they knew full well, that people weren't waiting for the FE card for professionals

Yup, the FE is their 'Get out of Jail Free card' and nothing more.  

2 hours ago, laminutederire said:

Have you read everything I wrote?

Mid range cards are perfectly on par for both companies. Amd lagged behind in top end, and we'll see with vega what happens. Remains that Volta doesn't seem particularly groundbreakingly better than Pascal, so Vega being late is not necessarily a bad thing when you look at it against Volta.

(Choose another game and results are possibly a bit different by the way. One game isn't enough to generalize)

Top end is how companies showcase their best of the best technologies isnt it? Rx480/580 (basically same card), is a year old, and AMD has yet to come up with anything on par with 1070/1080 which is also a year old. pretty sure NV has Titan and 1080ti ready just to delay the launch for the sake of sale. Now the vega showcase is not promising result, 2xvega not on par with 1080ti is very worrying. Also, AMD hasnt have anything comparable with Titan series for 2 or more generations.  How is that not technologically behind?

If vega comes out to be on par with 1080ti somehow and Volta IS not grounbreaking, then AMD caught up with NV technologically. But its a big IF from what we have seen so far.

Aw! It's a darn shame we have to wait even longer. Although the Frontier Edition should give some indication of how well RX will perform in games.
So hopefully some reviewers get their hands on it.

That card is right up my alley for a replacement a solid works machine, nearly double the performance of the Titan Xp in it, but without breaking the bank of a  Quadro.

Should go well with my old man's new Ryzen 1600 system I built today.

It all depends on price of course; and if FE does well in gaming it should be worth waiting for RX Vega with it's improved drivers, and "extra goodies" Raja mentioned.

Although overall, these delays seem like a mix of driver issues for the new architecture, and HBM2 shortages.
If AMD opted for 4 modules like NVIDIA's Teslas, they also could have used Samsung's slower 1.4Gbps modules. Those have been around for well over a year, and 4 of those would give them 732GB/s.

Seems their reliance and partnership with SK Hynix really shot them in both legs. Hynix promised 1.6Gbps and 2.0Gbps mass production by Q3 2017; then moved 1.6 to Q1 2017, and the latest shows Q2 2017 for mass production. Where as 2.0Gbps is missing entirely.

Hopefully the weight is worth it and the cost of HBM2 doesn't result in consumers getting stung.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

46 minutes ago, Devin92 said:

Now the vega showcase is not promising result, 2xvega not on par with 1080ti is very worrying.

You're not the first to say this in this thread, but ill pick on you because you're the latest to say it. There is no basis for comparison. There were no performance metrics presented on that demo, of all we know it could be running at 120+ fps. Please don't make claims on details you know nothing about.

System specs:

GTX 1050

16GB DDR3

Samsung evo SSD

a few HDD's

5 minutes ago, Terryv said:

You're not the first to say this in this thread, but ill pick on you because you're the latest to say it. There is no basis for comparison. There were no performance metrics presented on that demo, of all we know it could be running at 120+ fps. Please don't make claims on details you know nothing about.

If it was anywhere on par with 1080 or 1080ti, AMD would have said sth about it. The more probable guess is their performance is not that good, either becuz the chip actually sucked or its not ready (down clocked sample/ unoptimized driver), so they dont wanna reveal further detail. I am mentioning this only becuz of the techonologically behind thing, NOT saying AMD/Vega will be really bad.

16 minutes ago, Devin92 said:

If it was anywhere on par with 1080 or 1080ti, AMD would have said sth about it. The more probable guess is their performance is not that good, either becuz the chip actually sucked or its not ready (down clocked sample/ unoptimized driver), so they dont wanna reveal further detail. I am mentioning this only becuz of the techonologically behind thing, NOT saying AMD/Vega will be really bad.

But you did make an unsubstantiated claim, and that was the problem.

Dumb people read and believe that stuff and repeat it elsewhere this, further spreading misinformation.

System specs:

GTX 1050

16GB DDR3

Samsung evo SSD

a few HDD's

4 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

Well I guess that for non high end Freesync monitor owners we can stop saying "Wait for Vega" now.

Yeah, you'd probably feel like a real asshole if you bought something like an LG 27UD58, and already have every component for your new awesome system aside from a GPU ready and waiting to go.

And you'd be pretty sad if you thought "oh Vega got delayed again, I'll just grab a cheap used 470 to mess with crossfire out of boredom, or grab a used 480 to play with for a couple months"

Yeah.  You'd probably feel like a bit of an asshole.

Not that all of this applies directly to me, or anything.

SFF-ish:  Ryzen 5 1600X, Asrock AB350M Pro4, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro -75mV, 512gb Plextor Nvme m.2, 512gb Sandisk SATA m.2, Cryorig H7, stuffed into an Inwin 301 with rgb front panel mod.  LG27UD58.

Aging Workhorse:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black (4GHz #Yolo), 16GB Corsair XMS 1333, RX 470 Red Devil 4gb (Sold for $330 to Cryptominers), HD6850 1gb, Hilariously overkill Asus Crosshair V, 240gb Sandisk SSD Plus, 4TB's worth of mechanical drives, and a bunch of water/glycol.  Coming soon:  Bykski CPU block, whatever cheap Polaris 10 GPU I can get once miners start unloading them.

MintyFreshMedia:  Thinkserver TS130 with i3-3220, 4gb ecc ram, 120GB Toshiba/OCZ SSD booting Linux Mint XFCE, 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar.  In Progress:  3D printed drive mounts, 4 2TB ultrastars in RAID 5.

Can't leave you guys along for a couple of hours and you turn this into another Nvidia vs Amd thread :|

5 hours ago, outercry said:

but it is rather worrying that they had to use 2 cards though, and still not match the Ti. Can someone explain to me, why would they even do that, AMD that is, from marketing/PR point-of-view? Why show their 2 cards going against their competitors' one (which isn't even their top card) and not beating it?

I thought they ran their demo in isolation? Just as a demo of the ultimate AMD rig; 16 core Ryzen, crossfire Vega, 4K monitor.

Did they compare it to Nvidia or even show an fps counter?

1 minute ago, Humbug said:

I thought they ran their demo in isolation? Just as a demo of the ultimate AMD rig; 16 core Ryzen, crossfire Vega, 4K monitor.

Did they compare it to Nvidia or even show an fps counter?

They didn't, and it absolutely was supposed to be a demo of the Ultimate AMD rig, but by the time it made it to the projector there was MASSIVE screen tearing and it generally looked like it played like ass.  Crossfire is a crapshoot.

Had they just showed it with a single card, and Lisa Su had said "hey so this is a single RX Vega running Prey at 4k60 maxed out, oh BTW it's coming at the end of July but will only cost $500", everyone would be stoked.

SFF-ish:  Ryzen 5 1600X, Asrock AB350M Pro4, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro -75mV, 512gb Plextor Nvme m.2, 512gb Sandisk SATA m.2, Cryorig H7, stuffed into an Inwin 301 with rgb front panel mod.  LG27UD58.

Aging Workhorse:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black (4GHz #Yolo), 16GB Corsair XMS 1333, RX 470 Red Devil 4gb (Sold for $330 to Cryptominers), HD6850 1gb, Hilariously overkill Asus Crosshair V, 240gb Sandisk SSD Plus, 4TB's worth of mechanical drives, and a bunch of water/glycol.  Coming soon:  Bykski CPU block, whatever cheap Polaris 10 GPU I can get once miners start unloading them.

MintyFreshMedia:  Thinkserver TS130 with i3-3220, 4gb ecc ram, 120GB Toshiba/OCZ SSD booting Linux Mint XFCE, 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar.  In Progress:  3D printed drive mounts, 4 2TB ultrastars in RAID 5.

Lisa Su sounded very nervous and a bit apprehensive while talking about RX Vega and its SIGGRAPH release date at the end of AMD's Computex presentation. But she also emphasized that 'AMD is putting their money where their mouth is', regarding performance.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

41 minutes ago, Phate.exe said:

They didn't, and it absolutely was supposed to be a demo of the Ultimate AMD rig, but by the time it made it to the projector there was MASSIVE screen tearing and it generally looked like it played like ass.  Crossfire is a crapshoot.

Had they just showed it with a single card, and Lisa Su had said "hey so this is a single RX Vega running Prey at 4k60 maxed out, oh BTW it's coming at the end of July but will only cost $500", everyone would be stoked.

You're right. But all this has accomplished nothing for AMD, except all of this confusion. People wondering whether Vega card is actually that much behind or whether they just wanted to demo the crossfire setup or something. Like I said, from PR perspective this was rather poor show from AMD. It is rather odd they didn't show any FPS counters or anything. I just wish they hadn't been so vague about it all.

This still wasn't rx vega. They are still using the frontier edition pro card for gaming demos because the gaming card isn't ready... That's probably why they cannot do head to head comparisons vs NVidia. They themselves do not know where exactly the final performance will end up. Not a good sign for people who have been waiting for so long...

6 hours ago, The Benjamins said:

Koenigsegg are quite luxurious as well, they even have the custom roof for ski trips :P but yeah I get your point! (I'd take the koenigsegg anyway :) )

6 hours ago, leadeater said:

And historically AMD/ATI has competed against Nvidia with smaller dies and less transistors than the comparative performance/price card which can be shown to mean AMD is able to create more performance efficient designs than Nvidia has. But it's also rather likely that the extra silicon/transistors in the Nvidia designs are the reason their on paper performances translates better to game performance.

As most of us know there are more ways to measure technology than just pure performance.

Yeah, it seemed to me that tile based rendering is basically what made nvidia perform that well in game, which Vega is supposed to implement as well, so that can be interesting !

4 hours ago, Devin92 said:

Top end is how companies showcase their best of the best technologies isnt it? Rx480/580 (basically same card), is a year old, and AMD has yet to come up with anything on par with 1070/1080 which is also a year old. pretty sure NV has Titan and 1080ti ready just to delay the launch for the sake of sale. Now the vega showcase is not promising result, 2xvega not on par with 1080ti is very worrying. Also, AMD hasnt have anything comparable with Titan series for 2 or more generations.  How is that not technologically behind?

If vega comes out to be on par with 1080ti somehow and Volta IS not grounbreaking, then AMD caught up with NV technologically. But its a big IF from what we have seen so far.

Not necessarily !  To reuse the car example, you have quite technology advanced cars which aren't high end cars, but consumer grade cars and not enthusiast cars.

Nvidia has nothing comparable to freesync because their approach is more locked down. Same with HBC etc. As I said previously, both companies have their tech and amd clearly isn't behind as you seem to think.

No it's not. We don't know anything.

Well I knew RX Vega will come later on. Kinda expected release month earlier but oh well. I get they need more work on drivers and also HBM2 issue along.

I also read that some noticed in game demo tearing that there were like multiple tear images at given time so possible that game ran like 3 times the monitor refresh rate (60) so maybe ~180? Depends how Crossfire scaled I guess though. But I'm sure it can scale 100%. We can't know for sure. So I'd say maybe in range of 120-180fps just speculation though. I mean seems very reasonable for the Prey game on 4K maxed.

Personally can't wait to see custom cards.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Amd probably went with 2 hbm2 dies to:

1 reduce interposer size,

2 effectively double the number of cards they can make with the same supply of hbm2 chips,

3 sk hynix (the fuckers) was expected to have hbm2 2gbps in late 2016, and its still not here :-|

Take this with a stardestroyer of salt:

AMD Radeon RX Vega Mainstream Graphics Cards With Vega 11 GPUs Shipping At The End of 2017, Possibly Arriving in Early 2018

A source over at PCGameshardware has revealed that Radeon RX Vega based on mainstream GPUs won’t see the light of day till late 2017 or early 2018.

http://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-rx-vega-11-mainstream-gpus-late-2017-launch/