AMD Radeon RX VEGA to Launch at SIGGRAPH 2017

HKZeroFive
19 hours ago, The Owl said:

Take this with a stardestroyer of salt:

AMD Radeon RX Vega Mainstream Graphics Cards With Vega 11 GPUs Shipping At The End of 2017, Possibly Arriving in Early 2018

http://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-rx-vega-11-mainstream-gpus-late-2017-launch/

I don't know what to think about AMD GPU lineup anymore.

What's the point of Vega 11 if Vega 10 couldn't probably even match the 1080Ti? What are they going to do, two Vega10 SKUs just above and below the 1080 and then 2 Vega11 SKUs just above and below the 1070?

I really hope I'm wrong and Vega will kick asses. But I think I'm too much optimistic

On a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam

16 hours ago, leadeater said:

I'm running 2x 290X with EKWB blocks, ref cards :). Still rather good today but I have been hitting that 4GB wall recently cos my monitor native res is 2560x1600.

Really? I don't have too many issues with 4K... frame rate gets a little low on new games, but still if the game supports crossfire, it isn't that bad.

1 hour ago, The Owl said:

AMD Radeon RX Vega Mainstream Graphics Cards With Vega 11 GPUs Shipping At The End of 2017, Possibly Arriving in Early 2018

Doesnt seem credible. The german article just had that date tacked on at the end. Every one else went to the same show and hasnt about dates for vega 11. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

33 minutes ago, Blake said:

Really? I don't have too many issues with 4K... frame rate gets a little low on new games, but still if the game supports crossfire, it isn't that bad.

It's only a few games and only when they go over 4GB VRAM usage, I forget which ones since I haven't been playing many games recently. Not a big issue but you do notice the FPS dive when you tweak the settings to keep it below 4GB then change it so it goes back over 4GB.

By the way, I just watched the stream on YouTube, haven't seen any screen tearing to begin with, and any fps result would've been useless since they paired it with their new cpu. We all have seen the r7 1800x being outperformed by some intel cpu because it can't clock too high and single thread performance is still important. When you get get lower clocked very high core count chips, it seems logical it won't run as well because of the CPU. They also made a crossfire to show off the extra PCI-E lanes of the CPU.

That doesn't give out bad signs announced the GPU, just no information, which is coherent with them not having the drivers entirely ready or production not ready. We'll see, but there is over reaction due to the long wait I guess.

More bad news guys for vega, apparently some sources say that Vega 11 gpus (1070 competitor) won't come till Q4 or EVEN Q1 2018?! Honestly at this point get a 1070, evga recently had b stock ones for as low as $299 (and some 1080s going for $389 new)

19 hours ago, Polakki said:

2x vega? Where´s fpr counter? What are we waiting for?... not good...

This was the more troubling part of the demo for me, "look how smooth and nice 2 Vega's run this new game" and no fps counter running. That shows confidence in your product. Glad I pulled the trigger on a 1080ti and g-sync monitor cause Vega is looking like what we all though and feared. A generation or more behind the competition.

It feels like were looking at a GTX 1170 or 2070 or however they choose to brand Volta, competitor. Which for me is disappointing, I look at the top tier cards, that's where my interest lies. However at least with Nvidia (as apposed to Intel) they don't have any quorums with just blowing away the performance of there previous product stack regardless of there competitions offerings. Albeit at a price that matches the performance.

CPU | Intel i9-10850K | GPU | EVGA 3080ti FTW3 HYBRID  | CASE | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX | PSU | Corsair HX850i | RAM | 2x8GB G.skill Trident RGB 3000MHz | MOTHERBOARD | Asus Z490E Strix | STORAGE | Adata XPG 256GB NVME + Adata XPG 1T + WD Blue 1TB + Adata 480GB SSD | COOLING | Evga CLC280 | MONITOR | Acer Predator XB271HU | OS | Windows 10 |

4 hours ago, The Owl said:

This does not matter. AMD already has the rx 570 and rx 580 in the mainstream segment. They can wait to replace that...

What they need to release is the high end segmnent.

9 hours ago, ONOTech said:

They state at 52:25 that it's ThreadRipper feeding 2 RX Vega GPUs. It's the gaming card as far as we're concerned

I would be more inclined to agree if they showcased 1080p, but it's at 4K. Games are so GPU bound at that resolution that the difference between an 1800X and an i7 is negligible. 

From the 6 month old hype videos, to the recent lack of information & proper demoing, and late release date, VEGA seems to be worse than AMD initially planned - or at the very least, needs more tweaking than they expected.

For all we know the vega crossfire was running at 500 fps...

Maybe it's not gpu bound with a vega crossfire, that's the point. We don't know.

I think they know they have to showcase VEGA with Ryzen to promote Ryzen, but they know it'll hurt vega sales because ryzen is not optimal at gaming.

The late release isn't necessarily a bad thing. Nvidia can shove us pascal and Volta very fast since they rebrand Maxwell with a few enhancements, Amd could have been fast with Polaris which is close to previous gcn, but that's the sign they have made a whole different architecture with Vega.

All of that to say we probably should stop the doomsday prophecies on Vega and just wait.

Personnally I'm still rocking my fury, waiting on vega. If it doesn't deliver I'll see if I wait for Navi or go green. But as of now, two months, especially two months of summer where gaming becomes hard with the overall heat, and the other things to do, I think we should be able to all wait.

8 hours ago, JJVGaming said:

More bad news guys for vega, apparently some sources say that Vega 11 gpus (1070 competitor) won't come till Q4 or EVEN Q1 2018?! Honestly at this point get a 1070, evga recently had b stock ones for as low as $299 (and some 1080s going for $389 new)

Hmm except vega 11 > vega 10 unlike Polaris 11 < Polaris 10. So vega 11 in competition with the 1070... unlikely.

13 hours ago, laminutederire said:

Not necessarily !  To reuse the car example, you have quite technology advanced cars which aren't high end cars, but consumer grade cars and not enthusiast cars.

Nvidia has nothing comparable to freesync because their approach is more locked down. Same with HBC etc. As I said previously, both companies have their tech and amd clearly isn't behind as you seem to think.

No it's not. We don't know anything.

What?   "nvidia has nothing comparable to freesync".  Locked down or not, gsync is comparable.  You say on one hand you think AMD is not far behind Nvidia becasue the technology is the same then you say that.  Get your head out of the sand.

AMD are struggling to keep up, this is not an opinion it is a fact,  Nvidia have had faster cards out in the market for longer.  Until AMD actually have a card in the market (that consumers can buy now) that equals or beats Nvidias offerings then the fact is they are behind.  Until AMD can increase their net worth by a significant figure then they will not be able to match Nvidias R+D budget. That is a fact, not an opinion. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 hour ago, laminutederire said:

Hmm except vega 11 > vega 10 unlike Polaris 11 < Polaris 10. So vega 11 in competition with the 1070... unlikely.

we don't know that plus it seems more likely that they would make a smaller die than a even bigger one as vega is already 500~530 ish mm^2

Vega 11 would appear to be the RX 400 & 500 series replacement chips. Which wouldn't be too surprising for H1 2018.

Just now, Taf the Ghost said:

Vega 11 would appear to be the RX 400 & 500 series replacement chips. Which wouldn't be too surprising for H1 2018.

i agree with that statement.

a rx480 like vega chip would be good to have, maybe a bit bigger and with more rops to improve perf in higher resolutions 

1 hour ago, mr moose said:

What?   "nvidia has nothing comparable to freesync".  Locked down or not, gsync is comparable.  You say on one hand you think AMD is not far behind Nvidia becasue the technology is the same then you say that.  Get your head out of the sand.

AMD are struggling to keep up, this is not an opinion it is a fact,  Nvidia have had faster cards out in the market for longer.  Until AMD actually have a card in the market (that consumers can buy now) that equals or beats Nvidias offerings then the fact is they are behind.  Until AMD can increase their net worth by a significant figure then they will not be able to match Nvidias R+D budget. That is a fact, not an opinion. 

Aren't you excited for the prospect of AMD releasing something over a year after the GTX 1080 as competition, meanwhile Nvidia has already released a higher end card in that lineup and will probably release Volta cards that trash Pascal, like Pascal did with Maxwell?

I wonder how far AMD has to be behind before they pack up.

1 minute ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Aren't you excited for the prospect of AMD releasing something over a year after the GTX 1080 as competition, meanwhile Nvidia has already released a higher end card in that lineup and will probably release Volta cards that trash Pascal, like Pascal did with Maxwell?

I'm trying to remember the last time AMD released something that competed with Nvidia's current top end.  To be honest I don't know. Was it the 7950? 

Apparently if you put your head in the sand you can tell yourself anything and believe it.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 minute ago, mr moose said:

I'm trying to remember the last time AMD released something that competed with Nvidia's current top end.  To be honest I don't know. Was it the 7950? 

Apparently if you put your head in the sand you can tell yourself anything and believe it.

Fury X I think, which came out in 2015.

2 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

both companies have been in this situation in the past, nvidea has been in even worst situations, they aren't going away anytime soon

1 minute ago, mr moose said:

290x,

the fury x to a lesser extent

Just now, cj09beira said:

both companies have been in this situation in the past, nvidea has been in even worst situations, they aren't going away anytime soon

I don't think you understand just how far behind AMD is with their graphics cards, and how little budge they have to make up an insane amount of ground. RTG just doesn't have the budget to catch up at this point, I have serious doubts using Infinity Fabric to throw a bunch of cheap dies at the problem is going to work without problems.

5 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

I don;t think Nvidia have ever been that far behind AMD.

4 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

290x,

the fury x to a lesser extent

So about 4 years then. 

2 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

I don't think you understand just how far behind AMD is with their graphics cards, and how little budge they have to make up an insane amount of ground. RTG just doesn't have the budget to catch up at this point, I have serious doubts using Infinity Fabric to throw a bunch of cheap dies at the problem is going to work without problems.

the multi die is the way to go, its the only way to keep increasing the perf without costing thousands of dollars, will it be easy to do? no, but they are already doing it with threadripper, and epyc.

1 minute ago, cj09beira said:

the multi die is the way to go, its the only way to keep increasing the perf without costing thousands of dollars, will it be easy to do? no, but they are already doing it with threadripper, and epyc.

Will you enjoy the same performance issues Ryzen has: Definitely

Will the experience be worse: Yep

GGAyyMD

2 minutes ago, mr moose said:

So about 4 years then. 

but they were there was 2 generations, (might be the gtx 260) were amd had a 250~ mm^2 chip getting 10 percent lower perf than nvidea's 400 mm^2 chip, and nvidea's chip consumed double the power and costed almost twice as much, but because they are nvidea they still outsold amd, go figure 

7 minutes ago, mr moose said:

So about 4 years then. 

Also the 5870, X1950XTX Ultra or w/e the hell it was called.