Computex 2017 Mega Thread

desertcomputer
Just now, DildorTheDecent said:

It's not the same. Those accents were mad. 

MSI slowing killing themselves. Throwing "GAMING" on everything. 

The Kingpin utterly destroys it. Not worth considering.

9 minutes ago, dexT said:

The Kingpin utterly destroys it. Not worth considering.

that's way it goes. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

1 hour ago, Stefan1024 said:

Wait, why do you need a 8 core in a NAS? Sure the idle power consuption of Ryzen is very good, but 4 cores should realy be enougth, IMHO.

This is for small busineses with more people hitting the NAS all at once. Then more cores become more useful. 

Ye ole' train

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

14 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Looks like a microwave oven

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

12 minutes ago, Fetzie said:

Looks like a microwave oven

The 2nd one does, when viewing from the tampered glass side.

Speaking of microwave ovens

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

3 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

I dig it. Too bad it'll cost an arm and a leg.

Price isn't out yet. Think positive dagnabbit!

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

1 hour ago, Stefan1024 said:

Wait, why do you need a 8 core in a NAS? Sure the idle power consuption of Ryzen is very good, but 4 cores should realy be enougth, IMHO.

Actually you do need more cores for NAS in certain cases.

If you have simple NAS device only for yourself (one user) then you don't even need more than 1 core.

But when you have PLEX server on your NAS and streaming movies in full HD or even 4K ... and you have 3 TVs in the house + 5 PCs, some laptops, phones, tablets ... yeah you do need more cores xD 

Sure one might argue that it doesn't happen often that so many devices will want to use device at the same time, but it's good to have some headroom, than dropping in performance once that happens.

And there are also company's that use NAS devices for employers to share stuff ... if you have 50 users or more, you will need those cores xD

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

6 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

I'm not seeing it. I mean if all you need is 3 fans on a large cooler and angular design then you'll run into a lot of ripoffs starting with Zotac.

It looks very similar to me:

imgres.jpg.91389cb45aa9e658996a1a9761bce260.jpg

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

9 hours ago, Stefan1024 said:

Not if you using your NAS as server, I have essential offload most of program that i could run on my desktop to the server that could be offload, left my computer clean with just files i need. Plus you have multiple user streaming/transcoding plex, you going to need the cores. 

I have updated the post with recent events, Also updated some within each topic. 

Magical Pineapples

13 hours ago, MrUnknownEMC said:

This could be great alternative to Synology NAS, it would be neat if you able to flash freenas on this beast. 

QNAP already are and I prefer them over Synology as they always have better hardware specs at the same price points and software wise both are excellent.

7 hours ago, Simon771 said:

Actually you do need more cores for NAS in certain cases.

If you have simple NAS device only for yourself (one user) then you don't even need more than 1 core.

But when you have PLEX server on your NAS and streaming movies in full HD or even 4K ... and you have 3 TVs in the house + 5 PCs, some laptops, phones, tablets ... yeah you do need more cores xD 

Sure one might argue that it doesn't happen often that so many devices will want to use device at the same time, but it's good to have some headroom, than dropping in performance once that happens.

And there are also company's that use NAS devices for employers to share stuff ... if you have 50 users or more, you will need those cores xD

wouldn't you hit the gigabit port limits first though?

8 minutes ago, leadeater said:

QNAP already are and I prefer them over Synology as they always have better hardware specs at the same price points and software wise both are excellent.

That is so true, but i still find building a system still way cheaper especially if you have old parts laying around such as case/hard drives. But it does require more time to setup and not as easy as QNAP or Synology and plus software range is limited such as using it as NVR but recent update allow VM so that might not be a issues in the future. The old models of QNAP is pain the ass to upgrade the ram, i really hope they have fix the ease of replacing parts. 

Magical Pineapples

7 minutes ago, MrUnknownEMC said:

That is so true, but i still find building a system still way cheaper especially if you have old parts laying around such as case/hard drives. But it does require more time to setup and not as easy as QNAP or Synology and plus software range is limited such as using it as NVR but recent update allow VM so that might not be a issues in the future. The old models of QNAP is pain the ass to upgrade the ram, i really hope they have fix the ease of replacing parts. 

I'm just really super pleased to see Ryzen in a NAS like this, I think it's the best thing to happen in the pre-built NAS space since well... forever. CPUs in those things usually suck or the system cost is extremely high for one with an actually good CPU.

Next up standardize 10Gbe in pre-built NAS's.

Edit:

Also means proper VM hosting on one of these can actually be a thing.

8 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

In Win

-snip-

Can't it wait until Throwback Thursday before we go to that aesthetic? Although, it looks significantly better this time around.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

14 hours ago, pelark said:

What is the actual pricing of the Vivobook s15? No way an i7, 16gb ram and a 512gb ssd plus 2tb hdd and 940mx is $499

Pricing looks like it is the starting prices. But I presume $499 is going to be i5 and 8GB and 940mx in most case. There isn't any more words yet for the starting specs

Magical Pineapples

Holy crap Nvidia's keynote is basically NVIDIA ALL THE THINGS :o 

A macpro sized laptop with a 1080 WTF :o

CPU | Intel i9-10850K | GPU | EVGA 3080ti FTW3 HYBRID  | CASE | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX | PSU | Corsair HX850i | RAM | 2x8GB G.skill Trident RGB 3000MHz | MOTHERBOARD | Asus Z490E Strix | STORAGE | Adata XPG 256GB NVME + Adata XPG 1T + WD Blue 1TB + Adata 480GB SSD | COOLING | Evga CLC280 | MONITOR | Acer Predator XB271HU | OS | Windows 10 |

1 hour ago, cj09beira said:

wouldn't you hit the gigabit port limits first though?

Those NAS devices have 4 gigabit ports. So more than 400MB/s.

Also keep in mind that if you are running PLEX server on it, it will actually need to render video in real time and send it over cables. So just transfer speed isn't the problem here, but preparation of data (rendering video) is.

Anyway ... it makes sense to me, to have that powerful NAS :)

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

Just now, Simon771 said:

Those NAS devices have 4 gigabit ports. So more than 400MB/s.

Also keep in mind that if you are running PLEX server on it, it will actually need to render video in real time and send it over cables. So just transfer speed isn't the problem here, but preparation of data (rendering video) is.

Anyway ... it makes sense to me, to have that powerful NAS :)

Still one 10G NIC is better than 4 Gigabit port :) but most consumer gear doesn't have switch/router to support the speeds. If prices decrease on 10G hardware, i think more manufacturer will have 10G nics. 

Magical Pineapples

20 minutes ago, jasonc_01 said:

Holy crap Nvidia's keynote is basically NVIDIA ALL THE THINGS :o 

A macpro sized laptop with a 1080 WTF :o

Where did you see such a laptop? I checked nvidias live blog of the keynote, no word on that.

ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ