AMD Ryzen 5 1500X and 1600X Review: Intel's Core i5 Lineup is Obsolete Now

ryzen-5-logo.jpg

The release of the Ryzen 7 processors has undoubtedly been a huge success for AMD. We have already covered the AMD Ryzen 7 1700 and AMD Ryzen 7 1700X in-depth and we were blown away by their excellent price-to-performance ratio. AMD has definitely shaken up the market with its Ryzen 7 line-up and has put some serious pressure on Intel. Today, we will be looking at the Ryzen 5 1600X and Ryzen 5 1500X processors which retail for $249 USD and $189 USD, respectively. The Ryzen 5 series takes aim at the mainstream PC market while the Ryzen 3 series which will be released later this year is aimed at the lower-end of the market with sub-$150 processors.

http://www.relaxedtech.com/reviews/amd/ryzen-5-1500x-1600x/1

People need to stop saying "if you're going to game, get intel!". Intel may have slightly higher average FPS but the reality is that 90% of PC gamers are probably GPU bottlenecked. The i5's are just a terrible buy now with a ~$200 6 core 12t Ryzen.

They are obsolete in the sense of purchasing brand new until Coffee Lake / Cannon Lake come.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Budget

Ryzen

Pick one.

Also, btw: G4560 will blow silly R3s out of the water. Just wait, lol and be half the price xD

7 minutes ago, 4960X said:

People need to stop saying "if you're going to game, get intel!". Intel may have slightly higher average FPS but the reality is that 90% of PC gamers are probably GPU bottlenecked. The i5's are just a terrible buy now with a ~$200 6 core 12t Ryzen.

The average joe has no real need for 6C/12T anyway, even gamers. Not all of us stream on Twitch or YouTube.

Pick the right tool for the job. The tool is only obsolete when it no longer does the job.

7 minutes ago, Fonzie92 said:

Budget

Ryzen

Pick one.

Also, btw: G4560 will blow silly R3s out of the water. Just wait, lol and be half the price xD

how will a locked , 3.5ghz dual core with gimped AVX support beat a quad core chip that is clocked the same or higher , with similar IPC ?

Sure , it'll be cheaper , but that's it.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

1 minute ago, Coaxialgamer said:

how will a locked , 3.5ghz dual core with gimped AVX support beat a quad core chip that is clocked the same or higher , with similar IPC ?

Because he has an intel CPU and believes a multi billion dollar corporation cares about him 

5 minutes ago, Fonzie92 said:

If AMD continues the price trends the most expensive r3 CPU will cost $90-$110...  Meaning the lowest end will cost about $30-$50  So much more expensive!!!

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

5 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

The average joe has no real need for 6C/12T anyway, even gamers. Not all of us stream on Twitch or YouTube.

Pick the right tool for the job. The tool is only obsolete when it no longer does the job.

still , the future performance of the chip is a concern, especially if you're more on the budget end ( you aren't replacing your cpu every 2 years , you know ?) .The i5's a near maxed out in modern titles . They perform similarly in games , but unlike the i5's they aren't max'ed out. 

one good example of what's happening here is the core 2 duo vs core 2 quads . When both released , many people advised the core 2 duo's as better choices due to the higher clocks you could achieve. but look at it now . the  quads are somewhat usable . The core 2 duo's are not remotely usable.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

2 minutes ago, Damascus said:

If AMD continues the price trends the most expensive r3 CPU will cost $90-$110...  Meaning the lowest end will cost about $30-$50  So much more expensive!!!

from what i've seen , they won't . Lower end r3's will cost similar amounts to the low end i3's , so around 120$. 

12 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

from what i've seen , they won't . Lower end r3's will cost similar amounts to the low end i3's , so around 120$. 

Look at the price trends.  (lol, wrote this before I actually did the math.)

R7 goes

1800X    $499

diff $100

1700X    $399

diff $70

1700      $329

diff $80

1600X    $249

diff $30

1600      $219

diff $30

1500X    $189

diff $20

1400      $169

Each Ryzen line up so far has had a somewhat consistent price difference between each CPU.  Lets say the 1300X is $30 cheaper than the 1400 - $139

then lets subtract $20 per SKU so $119 and then $99.  

Yay, I've proven your point xD

Well, I spent the last ten minutes doing this so I'll post it anyways :P 

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

18 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

We don't know what r3 will be, dont be surprised if they are 3c/6t CPUs (after all there are no ryzen CPUs without SMT).

26 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

You must not play any multi threaded games then. 4c4t are terrible in modern games. They're garbage on BF1. They have better averages than ryzen on overwatch (my main game) but way worse minimums.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

24 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

The problem is the current pricing of i5s, which means that even if you are not sure about needing more than 4 cores, you won't be paying extra for it anyways. I do believe that any CPU, weak or strong, has a place provided its priced properly. Intel prices made sense in the pre-Ryzen market, but now they would need to adjust in order to remain good choices for buying new.

It's in that sense that they are "provisionally obsolete", not in the full sense of "obsolete", i.e., if you have an i5, you don't have a problem. If you find a good deal on an i5, no need to ignore it. Just don't pay $200-250 for one if you don't.

That is true. But any game that ran better on an i7 than an i5 (I mean, to the extent that the advantage came from HT) will run even better on a 6-core. Not that it happens with all games. Nor that gaming is the only use case for a PC.

22 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

The core 2 duo's are not remotely usable.

My HTPC uses a Core2Duo e7500 :P

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

3 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

You must not play any multi threaded games then. 4c4t are terrible in modern games. They're garbage on BF1. They have better averages than ryzen on overwatch (my main game) but way worse minimums.

4c4t are terrible?You obviously haven't seen the new pentium g4560 which is good enough for even 1080p 60fps gaming.

link1

link2

11 minutes ago, MyName13 said:

We don't know what r3 will be, dont be surprised if they are 3c/6t CPUs (after all there are no ryzen CPUs without SMT).

They'll be 4c/4t chips . That's pretty much been confirmed at this point.

a lot ( and i mean a LOT ) of info was leaked a few days before the r7 launch . Leaks so close to launch are almost never wrong , and the info about the r7 and r5 lineup was correct. Ryzen's design doesn't allow odd numbers of cores .

4 minutes ago, MyName13 said:

4c4t are terrible?You obviously haven't seen the new pentium g4560 which is good enough for even 1080p 60fps gaming.

link1

link2

I love it when people who don't know how to read try to argue with me

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

43 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

Like gimped AVX is going to matter in gaming. It's negligible unless you're using a specific software that benefits bigly from AVX instructions. Nonetheless the g4560 can already be found sub 50$, and by the time R3 gets released, you can probably find them for specials, sub $45.

Which will almost be a quarter of your silly R3 prices. And the g4560 can do most games 60fps @ 1080p already. Intel is the new budget king. As I said, the words budget and Ryzen don't go together and I forbid you to use them together.

Ryzen 5 1600 is the only CPU worth getting.

2 minutes ago, Fonzie92 said:

Like gimped AVX is going to matter in gaming. It's negligible unless you're using a specific software that benefits bigly from AVX instructions. Nonetheless the g4560 can already be found sub 50$, and by the time R3 gets released, you can probably find them for specials, sub $45.

Which will almost be a quarter of your silly R3 prices. And the g4560 can do most games 60fps @ 1080p already. Intel is the new budget king. As I said, the words budget and Ryzen don't go together and I forbid you to use them together.

Budget !=cheap . Ryzen is a great VALUE . So is the g4560 . but then again , pentiums always were. 

Thing is , as soon as you need more power , that value proposition falls apart.

People don't use their PC's solely for games.

2 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

Budget !=cheap . Ryzen is a great VALUE . So is the g4560 . but then again , pentiums always were. 

Thing is , as soon as you need more power , that value proposition falls apart.

R3 is not a great a value. You're paying almost 2-3x the cost compared to a 45-50$ G4560 that can do 1080p 60fps gaming xD

Just admit it. R3s will be a disaster and will be overpriced 

Just now, Fonzie92 said:

R3 is not a great a value. You're paying almost 2-3x the cost compared to a 45-50$ G4560 that can do 1080p 60fps gaming lol

Considering it's similar in performance to an i5 , which costs 50-80$ more , i do consider that a great value . 

But the g4560 can't keep up with faster graphics cards . Modern titles are starting to be too much.

4 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

Considering it's similar in performance to an i5 , which costs 50-80$ more , i do consider that a great value . 

But the g4560 can't keep up with faster graphics cards . Modern titles are starting to be too much.

Yeah, if you look at it that way.. I  agree. i5s are extremely overpriced. 

I'm just saying someone thinking of just 1080p gaming will spend 45-50$ for a g4560 instead of an R3 that will be at least 2x more in price.  

If Ryzen 3 prices matched the g4560 even by 5-10% margin of price, it would kill off the Pentiums for good. I think AMD screwed up bigly in the pricing of R3s

4 minutes ago, Fonzie92 said:

Yeah, if you look at it that way.. I  agree. i5s are extremely overpriced. 

I'm just saying someone thinking of just 1080p gaming will spend 45-50$ for a g4560 instead of an R3 that will be at least 2x more in price.  

If Ryzen 3 prices matched the g4560 even by 5-10% margin of price, it would kill off the Pentiums for good.

I don't really expect the r3 lineup to compete with the pentiums . AMD haven't been really good with the low end , 50-ish $ parts ( just look at the semprons and the E1 parts ). If they do make a budget part ( as in sub 100$ ) , it'l most likely be a cut down Zen APU , the likes of which will most likely be released in H2. But there's basically no info on that whatsoever , and who knows what it will bring to the table ( in a good or bad way )

So many baseless assumptions on this thread. Hope it gets locked.

qυoтe мe pleaѕe!

Me at the Apple store: "So how fast is this little macbook?"

Apple employee: "Cheetah Fast. Lightning Fast. It's Really, really, fast."

1 minute ago, Natsoup said:

So many baseless assumptions on this thread. Hope it gets locked.

Yeah, let's lock a thread because people are posting their opinions. Nice logic you got there