AMD Ryzen 5 1500X and 1600X Review: Intel's Core i5 Lineup is Obsolete Now

4 hours ago, Fonzie92 said:

R3s should be priced around the g4560. They are not going to sell imo

No one will sell a quad core at the price of a dual core (unless it's an FX quad core :P). It's just not going to happen. You can argue all you want that certain buyers don't need the quad core, and that's fine, they can get the dual core for less money. Nobody is going to start giving away 2 extra cores just to get the people who shouldn't buy them to do it. That's not how price discrimination works. 

Do you guys not think we should rather look at the R7 = X99 R5 = i7 and R3 = i5 as if you put the prices aside and compare cores and such it lines up, It also makes sense in each CPU's intentions.. R7/x99 = workstation, R5/i7 = Hight end consumer, R3/i5 mid range Consumer bit more consumer Orient. the Pentium stands alone as entry level. Yes the latest one is a massive anomily at its price and performance.

Also come on people, You can't keep going on about the Pentium as the right choice, No one wants to say their gaming PC is a Pentium, hell against all good advice Pre Ryzen people were still rushing to brag about i7's in their gaming machines only using 4 threads.

Fact of it is I do agree with the original point, The i5 and possibly even the i3 line up IMO is dead to the smart buyer market, It just makes no sense when you getting more cores/Bigger cache for the same money, Why would you invest in the Pentium or even the i3/i5 when they about to launch a new gen and change the socket again (Real Dick move IMO) cutting off any upgrade path you could have for the future. 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

6 hours ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

Contrary to someone who has an AMD CPU and believes a multi billion dollar corporation cares about them?

Reveal hidden contents

AMD is a multi-billion dollar coporation and they do not care about you.

Contrary to someone who buys the best they can afford. I have a haswell i5 for the record 

9 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

The average joe has no real need for 6C/12T anyway, even gamers. Not all of us stream on Twitch or YouTube.

Pick the right tool for the job. The tool is only obsolete when it no longer does the job.

This is true if the i5 was a lot cheaper than the R5. If you are gonna be spending the same amount; why not get the one that offers greater performance all around? I don't think i5 is obsolete as a while, it's obsolete at the current price, unless Intel does some price cuts, there is just no point spending the same amount for less performance.

17 minutes ago, Shura said:

This is true if the i5 was a lot cheaper than the R5. If you are gonna be spending the same amount; why not get the one that offers greater performance all around? I don't think i5 is obsolete as a while, it's obsolete at the current price, unless Intel does some price cuts, there is just no point spending the same amount for less performance.

Exactly.  I need more than the 6 threads I currently have.  Even a locked i7 would probably be a-ok for my needs, because I see far more benefit from moar coars than I would from 5GHz single-thread performance.

But why the hell would I buy an i7 when I can have a 6c/12t cpu that will do 4GHz if I ask it to, for the price of an unlocked i5 that only has 4 threads?

The only case for the i5 is if you are simply not going to use more than 4 threads, and you need 4.2+ GHz.

I will say my ivybridge i3 is doing pretty great for what it is - Boot linux off an SSD, run my 3d printer, keep my media collection available, and quietly use very little electricity.

SFF-ish:  Ryzen 5 1600X, Asrock AB350M Pro4, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro -75mV, 512gb Plextor Nvme m.2, 512gb Sandisk SATA m.2, Cryorig H7, stuffed into an Inwin 301 with rgb front panel mod.  LG27UD58.

Aging Workhorse:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black (4GHz #Yolo), 16GB Corsair XMS 1333, RX 470 Red Devil 4gb (Sold for $330 to Cryptominers), HD6850 1gb, Hilariously overkill Asus Crosshair V, 240gb Sandisk SSD Plus, 4TB's worth of mechanical drives, and a bunch of water/glycol.  Coming soon:  Bykski CPU block, whatever cheap Polaris 10 GPU I can get once miners start unloading them.

MintyFreshMedia:  Thinkserver TS130 with i3-3220, 4gb ecc ram, 120GB Toshiba/OCZ SSD booting Linux Mint XFCE, 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar.  In Progress:  3D printed drive mounts, 4 2TB ultrastars in RAID 5.

19 hours ago, Shura said:

until Intel releases i5 with 6c/12t, they are obsolete tbh.

Say AMD beat Nvidia and everyone cheers.

Say AMD beats Intel and eveeryone loses their minds.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

16 minutes ago, 4960X said:

until Intel releases i5 with 6c/12t, they are obsolete tbh.

Debatable.......I'm assuming Coffee Lake brings 6c/12t i7, a 4c/8t i5, and a 4c/4t i3 (and a slight IPC boost).

Remember, Intel will have an IPC advantage (10%~) and a clockspeed advantage (15%-20%). So after accounting for that, a 6c/12t i7 ($330~) would probably be pretty close to an R7 in muti-core while being much better in single core. While a 4c/8t i5 ($230~) would probably be pretty close to an R5 in muti-core while being much better in single core. A 4c/4t i3 ($170~) would still have the 30% single core lead but 50% as many threads, so again, I'd expect a similar result as with the above.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

The issue is price. Intel has locked CPU's trying to compete against unlocked CPU's with more avalible threads. Intel cannot win that battle. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

3 hours ago, App4that said:

The issue is price. Intel has locked CPU's trying to compete against unlocked CPU's with more avalible threads. Intel cannot win that battle. 

This. Ain't nobody got time for locked CPUs in 2017.