AMD Ryzen 5 1500X and 1600X Review: Intel's Core i5 Lineup is Obsolete Now

3 minutes ago, Natsoup said:

So many baseless assumptions on this thread. Hope it gets locked.

what is it even doing in the news section...

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

1 minute ago, Fonzie92 said:

Yeah, let's lock a thread because people are posting their opinions. Nice logic you got there

People are making up bullshit.

someone said and r3 is going to sell for $30

someone said Pentiums are going to be killed off

I said baseless assumptions, not opinions. There's a difference.

qυoтe мe pleaѕe!

Me at the Apple store: "So how fast is this little macbook?"

Apple employee: "Cheetah Fast. Lightning Fast. It's Really, really, fast."

2 minutes ago, Natsoup said:

People are making up bullshit.

someone said and r3 is going to sell for $30

someone said Pentiums are going to be killed off

I said baseless assumptions, not opinions. There's a difference.

I said if the R3 prices could match anywhere near the g4560, it would essentially kill off the Pentium (g4560 pentium). Which is true 

R3 going to sell $30? I didn't hear that in this thread

1 hour ago, Damascus said:

If AMD continues the price trends the most expensive r3 CPU will cost $90-$110...  Meaning the lowest end will cost about $30-$50  So much more expensive!!!

@Fonzie92

qυoтe мe pleaѕe!

Me at the Apple store: "So how fast is this little macbook?"

Apple employee: "Cheetah Fast. Lightning Fast. It's Really, really, fast."

3 minutes ago, Fonzie92 said:

I said if the R3 prices could match anywhere near the g4560, it would essentially kill off the Pentium (g4560 pentium). Which is true 

R3 going to sell $30? I didn't hear that in this thread

Raven Ridge shouls have parts that compete in the sub $80 area, I see R3 as a i3 competitor mostly.

Raven Ridge is 4 Zen cores and 11 Vega CU's at its max. I can see products down the range of 2 Cores and 2-4 CU's.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

5 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

Raven Ridge shouls have parts that compete in the sub $80 area, I see R3 as a i3 competitor mostly.

Raven Ridge is 4 Zen cores and 11 Vega CU's at its max. I can see products down the range of 2 Cores and 2-4 CU's.

The thing is, the g4560 is extremely underrated and acts just like an i3 (what, 5% less performance in games?). And costs literally 2x less (could be 2.5), than the R3.

Raven Ridge is apparently not coming until 2018.. Which by that time, It's probably too late:

AMD-Raven-Ridge-APU-Specs-and-AMD-Pinnac

R3s should be priced around the g4560. They are not going to sell imo

1 hour ago, Spenser1337 said:

Because he has an intel CPU and believes a multi billion dollar corporation cares about him 

Contrary to someone who has an AMD CPU and believes a multi billion dollar corporation cares about them?

Spoiler

AMD is a multi-billion dollar coporation and they do not care about you.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

13 minutes ago, Fonzie92 said:

By that logic i5's wouldn't have been selling this entire time.....but they have been. A hyperthreaded dual core is simply just not as good as a quad core. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Why are we posting reviews from no-name websites that are 2 weeks late at evaluating Ryzen 5? Nothing new here.

57 minutes ago, Fonzie92 said:

R3 is not a great a value. You're paying almost 2-3x the cost compared to a 45-50$ G4560 that can do 1080p 60fps gaming xD

Just admit it. R3s will be a disaster and will be overpriced 

R3 isnt even out yet man.

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900X – Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro Wifi  – RAM: 4 x 16 GB G. Skill Trident Z @ 3200mhz- GPU: ASUS  Strix Geforce GTX 1080ti– Case: Phankteks Enthoo Pro M – Storage: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo, 1TB Intel 800p, Samsung 850 Evo 500GB & WD Blue 1 TB PSU: EVGA 1000P2– Display(s): ASUS PB238Q, AOC 4k, Korean 1440p 144hz Monitor - Cooling: NH-U12S, 2 gentle typhoons and 3 noiseblocker eloops – Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB Mouse: G502 Rgb & G Pro Wireless– Sound: Logitech z623 & AKG K240

1 hour ago, M.Yurizaki said:

The average joe has no real need for 6C/12T anyway, even gamers. Not all of us stream on Twitch or YouTube.

Pick the right tool for the job. The tool is only obsolete when it no longer does the job.

I'm not the average joe.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

I'm lonely, PM me to be my friend!

31 minutes ago, Fonzie92 said:

The thing is, the g4560 is extremely underrated and acts just like an i3 (what, 5% less performance in games?). And costs literally 2x less (could be 2.5), than the R3.

The G4560 is great for what it is, and it pretty much makes the idea of a 2c/4t i3 pretty pointless.  Which is hilarious by itself.

For basic 1080p gaming, a G4560 and an RX470 will go a LONG way, especially if you stick to CSGO or Overwatch, but as soon as you need more threads you're hosed.

I'm going 1600X because I need more than 6 threads, and it's only like a $50-60 difference between a 1500X and the 1600X.

SFF-ish:  Ryzen 5 1600X, Asrock AB350M Pro4, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro -75mV, 512gb Plextor Nvme m.2, 512gb Sandisk SATA m.2, Cryorig H7, stuffed into an Inwin 301 with rgb front panel mod.  LG27UD58.

Aging Workhorse:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black (4GHz #Yolo), 16GB Corsair XMS 1333, RX 470 Red Devil 4gb (Sold for $330 to Cryptominers), HD6850 1gb, Hilariously overkill Asus Crosshair V, 240gb Sandisk SSD Plus, 4TB's worth of mechanical drives, and a bunch of water/glycol.  Coming soon:  Bykski CPU block, whatever cheap Polaris 10 GPU I can get once miners start unloading them.

MintyFreshMedia:  Thinkserver TS130 with i3-3220, 4gb ecc ram, 120GB Toshiba/OCZ SSD booting Linux Mint XFCE, 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar.  In Progress:  3D printed drive mounts, 4 2TB ultrastars in RAID 5.

2 hours ago, Coaxialgamer said:

how will a locked , 3.5ghz dual core with gimped AVX support beat a quad core chip that is clocked the same or higher , with similar IPC ?

Sure , it'll be cheaper , but that's it.

I think he means price/performance. It's still the best "budget buy" for really low end systems (the majority of systems).

35 minutes ago, Soonercoop21 said:

I think he means price/performance. It's still the best "budget buy" for really low end systems (the majority of systems).

I got that. But the pentiums were always great for performance/dollar. They just weren't very fast is all. 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

The ryzen + vega apu's are supposed to be the pentiums contender not the r3's, those are the direct competiors to the i3's

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

For what its worth im on a 9590 and havent seen a need to upgrade. i still play triple A titles on High/Ultra settings with a 3440x1440 resolution. Most recent being Mass Effect Andromeda

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

21 minutes ago, goodtofufriday said:

For what its worth im on a 9590 and havent seen a need to upgrade. i still play triple A titles on High/Ultra settings with a 3440x1440 resolution. Most recent being Mass Effect Andromeda

I'm still playing 1080p mostly high settings on a Phenom II 1090T, lol.  Forza Horizon 3 is one that I have to run somewhere between dynamic medium and dynamic high.

This machine absolutely still does the job, I just want new stuff because I make more money than I used to.

SFF-ish:  Ryzen 5 1600X, Asrock AB350M Pro4, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro -75mV, 512gb Plextor Nvme m.2, 512gb Sandisk SATA m.2, Cryorig H7, stuffed into an Inwin 301 with rgb front panel mod.  LG27UD58.

Aging Workhorse:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black (4GHz #Yolo), 16GB Corsair XMS 1333, RX 470 Red Devil 4gb (Sold for $330 to Cryptominers), HD6850 1gb, Hilariously overkill Asus Crosshair V, 240gb Sandisk SSD Plus, 4TB's worth of mechanical drives, and a bunch of water/glycol.  Coming soon:  Bykski CPU block, whatever cheap Polaris 10 GPU I can get once miners start unloading them.

MintyFreshMedia:  Thinkserver TS130 with i3-3220, 4gb ecc ram, 120GB Toshiba/OCZ SSD booting Linux Mint XFCE, 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar.  In Progress:  3D printed drive mounts, 4 2TB ultrastars in RAID 5.

I donno, the R5 1400 really takes a dive perf wise compared to the other R5s in the AMDs lineup.  I don't believe the R3s will be a good get, or thats what my crystal ball is telling me.  But I don't think i3s are worth anyones time either, unless they simply cannot afford anything else.  Their performance is soo atrocious they're only good for background systems(NAS & home e-mail server type of things). 

Even making grandma a facebook machine with an i3 is a bit of a dick move.  Not right away, but after 2 or 3 months of "updates", its just another POS Pewdur.

i5 vs Ryzen 5 frame times don't look too hot. I'll take smoother framerates any day.

Just now, ONOTech said:

Your grandma must be running some high-end VR games and maybe a couple of virtual machines on the side, because our family computer uses an i3 4150 and has been for months and it works perfectly fine :P Does it have an SSD? i3 + SSD feels snappier than an i5 + mechanical HDD combo.

No SSD(yet).  Has Norton.  She particularly likes videos that family members post, and she's a tab fiend.  Ads and weak sauce CPU were her biggest problems.

She may not be a power user, but she's not nearly as daft as her children when it comes to using computers.  I'm not a fan of Norton but she is, and thats that as far as Norton's system impact is concerned.

3 minutes ago, MoonSpot said:

No SSD(yet).  Has Norton.  She particularly likes videos that family members post, and she's a tab fiend.  Ads and weak sauce CPU were her biggest problems.

She may not be a power user, but she's not nearly as daft as her children when it comes to using computers.  I'm not a fan of Norton but she is, and thats that as far as Norton's system impact is concerned.

In my experience non tech oriented people somehow figure out how to slow their systems as much as possible regardless of their system specs. I really don't understand how somebody manages to download so much adware and useless background processes but nonetheless it continues happening. In good hands a pentium or i3 should run non game applications flawlessly. Most users don't even use anything but chrome nowadays

8 minutes ago, Soonercoop21 said:

In my experience non tech oriented people somehow figure out how to slow their systems as much as possible regardless of their system specs. I really don't understand how somebody manages to download so much adware and useless background processes but nonetheless it continues happening. In good hands a pentium or i3 should run non game applications flawlessly. Most users don't even use anything but chrome nowadays

The same reason why people take out 9 year car loans for that sweet $50,000 SUV.

This isn't really news, more just a CPU discussion.  -moved-

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

23 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

This isn't really news, more just a CPU discussion.  -moved-

-waits for the people saying you have an intel agenda to appear-

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX