GTX 970 Settlement Checks Have Started Arriving

SteveGrabowski0
1 hour ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Or Scaling the graph in such a way that an actual 10% improvement appears to be double on a visual glance. 

But how will the consumer be able to tell how much better product x is than product y when the graphs are so close together on a normal scale xD

8 hours ago, yathis said:

claimed it?

There is a process.......always a process obviously..................so that "claim" as you mentioned...................................................................... puts you in with the class action group, BEFORE it goes to court!

So maybe what you are saying is you can join the class action group after the settlement?

Seems illogical. Doubt that is the case.

That is the whole point of a class action. Otherwise it would simply be a collective trial. 

You need to gather enough people to start the class action, but the ruling applies to anyone who fulfills an objective criterion (i.e., they belong to the class). That's why, after the court ruling, instructions were provided for any buyer of the 970 (probably within a time window, but I don't remember) to claim the agreed sum.

So, you don't join a class action, before or after. You simply belong to the class or you don't. The original people "participating" in the class action are simply a bunch of buyers the lawyers need to define the class and present their case. In other words, they are examples of the type of people affected by the problem. The ruling applies to everyone affected by the problem.

sweet, was wondering when that free money would arrive.

System

Case- Thermaltake Core V21 / CPU - i7 4790 / GPU - Asus Strix GTX 1070 / Mobo - Gigabyte Z97 mx / Ram - 4x4 gb GSkill Sniper DDR3 1866 / Storage - 2x WD Black 1tb drives, 1x 120gb OCZ SSD / Cooler - Cooler Master TX3 / PSU - EVGA G2 650w / Audio - Sennheiser PC 350 SE / Monitor - Asus 1920X1080 @60hz / Keyboard & Mouse - Cooler Master Devastator II / OS - Windows 10 Enterprise

Don't know why they even won. The card still has 4gb of memory and even the slower .5 of a GB is still usable by the gpu. 

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

5 minutes ago, MadyTehWolfie said:

Don't know why they even won. The card still has 4gb of memory and even the slower .5 of a GB is still usable by the gpu. 

They falsely advertised 4GB of memory running at 7Ghz. when in reality it should have said 3.5GB of memory at 7GHz.

They also advertised the wrong ROP count.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

3 hours ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

-

Explains the lawyer commercials on tv

2 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Company misleads customers

Customers collectively sue company

Lawyers get most of the compensation

America

American customers at least got something.

*cheques

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

This is just like people whining about a Subway sandwich being 11 inches instead of a full footlong.

Just a bunch of whiny babies trying to get free money.

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

25 minutes ago, ttam said:

This is just like people whining about a Subway sandwich being 11 inches instead of a full footlong.

Just a bunch of whiny babies trying to get free money.

I could give a shit about the $30 I got. I'm glad Nvidia lost $4.5 million for lying to everyone.

970 viewwwwws

$30 is alright, it's a fair % of what the cards were new

Screenshot_2017-04-16-16-23-39.jpg

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Not defending Nvidia, but this entire thing for $30 seems hella entitled first world problem lmao

2 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

Not defending Nvidia, but this entire thing for $30 seems hella entitled first world problem lmao

A company lied to customers. The customers collectively drained $4.5 Million USD from the company's bank account accordingly.

How is this entitlement? They just want to see Nvidia punished for lying to the customer. The customer is always correct. You never lie to the customer. This is Businesses 101.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

15 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

A company lied to customers. The customers collectively drained $4.5 Million USD from the company's bank account accordingly.

How is this entitlement? They just want to see Nvidia punished for lying to the customer. The customer is always correct. You never lie to the customer. This is Businesses 101.

People in Flint need clean water, this is 1st world non essential tech and there is now way around it lol

And customers can and often are wrong just as much as businesses can be. This is reality 101

4.5m isn't much for a massive company like Nvidia.

15 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

People in Flint need clean water, this is 1st world non essential tech and there is now way around it lol

And customers can and often are wrong just as much as businesses can be. This is reality 101

It still shows Nvidia they were wrong.....

1 hour ago, Mooshi said:

Your fallacy is: relative privation. Thank you for playing, come again.

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

If you owned a GTX 970... not sure if I'll get my settlement or not. I did file but I have no clue if I qualified or not. I bought a legit GTX 770 and it broke, I sent it to Zotac and they sent me a replacement GTX 970 so  seeing as I had ZERO choice I filled the claim with serials and such, proof of purchase and all that. If I get something....great... if not... oh well.

On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 1:16 AM, SteveGrabowski0 said:

I can't believe AMD hasn't sued Nvidia over this. I would have 100% bought an R9 290x back in 2014 had we known the accurate specs of the 970. I can't be alone on this.

The R9 290x was always the better purchase regardless of the gtx 970 VRAM issue. Except for the hot reference version...

I'm not even sure if i signed up for it. i think i did, but even if i didnt i'm not too upset, $30 i spent more than 2 years ago is pretty inconsequential at this point. Card still runs good and I've never had an issue because of it. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

31 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

I'm not even sure if i signed up for it. i think i did, but even if i didnt i'm not too upset, $30 i spent more than 2 years ago is pretty inconsequential at this point. Card still runs good and I've never had an issue because of it. 

Oh yeah, I'm still enjoying my 970 and probably won't upgrade it in 2017. But I do like seeing Nvidia have to pay a penalty here. Because this card was marketed as a 980 with only a few CUDA cores cut out. That lie was a huge part of why people were so excited for the 970, that it was just barely cut down from the $550 980. I think it sucks for AMD because that overhype on the 970 is why they had to cut R9 290 prices to the bone by late October 2014. I still think the 970 was a really exciting card and a great deal, but them telling a lie to the reviewers whose reviews were effective the ad campaign for the 970 seems shady. Somewhat like the Minute Maid vs POM case where Minute Maid was calling their juice pomegranate juice despite it having a tiny amount of pomegranate juice in it. Obviously not at the same level of deceit as Minute Maid was though (I certainly don't think anyone was entitled to a refund on his 970).

9 hours ago, Humbug said:

The R9 290x was always the better purchase regardless of the gtx 970 VRAM issue. Except for the hot reference version...

Debatable at the time. They were neck and neck in benchmarks at launch,

While I agree with the people saying Nvidia getting sued was b.s and overkill I, as a broke college student at the time of purchase, submitted a claim for that $30 :$ I got the confirmation receipt when I submitted the claim but nothing since.

When the check comes I'm going to celebrate with some Taco Bell! YAY Diarrhea!

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

Lesson learned i think from Nvidia view point and the customers view point. Both will make sure this shit dont happen again. 

I allways tell my kids you learn from your mistakes and if you dont your an IDIOT.  Plain and simple my kids never make the same mistake twice :)

On 4/16/2017 at 7:58 PM, AluminiumTech said:

$4.5 million is probably a small percentage compared to the legal fees that NVIDIA had to pay for themselves and possibly for the plantiff, on top of any other fines that may have incurred.

No, the customer is not always correct. Granted it's meant to be a humor site, but it documents quite well that customers can be just as bad as the companies that supposedly screw customers over: https://notalwaysright.com/.

While I can understand some of the sentiment about VRAM performance, ultimately I thought this whole thing was a hogwash at best because:

• It did not change the performance of any of the initial reviews. You still got the performance they all reported, more or less
  • People continued to claim the card only had 3.5GB of VRAM. No, it had 4GB of VRAM, just partitioned in such a way that the performance is less than what was advertised.
  • The other side, the ROP count, was also overadvertised. However, various websites like Tech Report and Hardware.fr noted that even with the full complement of ROPs, the shaders themselves couldn't fill them up anyway. To quote Anandtech:

As originally (and correctly) pointed out by The Tech Report and Hardware.fr, when it comes to fillrates the GTX 970 is already bottlenecked elsewhere. With a peak pixel rate of 4 pixels per clock per SMM, the GTX 970’s 13 SMMs inherently limit the card to 52px/clock, versus the 56px/clock rate for the card’s 56 ROPs.

• NVIDIA has had partitioned memory before in the past (I think the GTX 660 Ti had it at some point)

• Nobody seems to care about the engineering decision that was made here. Either NVIDIA could've disabled a memory controller and left the card with 3GB of VRAM and that would have even less performance, or kept it, disabled only an L2 cache that had to be shared between two memory controllers, and shipped with 4GB, with the 3.5GB + 0.5GB partition.

My whole opinion on this is the customer went after something they didn't fully understand, and some lawyers saw an angry mob they could make a profit off of.